WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Snipped for space* This change is all U.S. Not one Canadian coin in the bunch.
Definitely an important point! If he came directly from Canada on a bus as some believe, wouldn't he have mixed currency at least? Having left only US currency is a good clue.

The Redditor with the Lyle stuff messaged me on there wanted to make some things clear about the documents. His responses are in bold.

I should have kept scrolling down when I first looked at that...well, if the car(probably) had nothing to do with the investigation, then these people and their DL#s certainly didn't.

Incorrect. The files posted online are Lyle Stevik's case file from the sheriff's department with minor redaction, per WA state law. If it's in the file, it's related.

I don't know if it's actually illegal to have that sort of personal information online, but it's definitely unethical

It's not illegal and it's not unethical, in my opinion. The police gathered this information for a reason, and if somebody wanted to do a citizen's investigation these are the documents they'd want, without any over the top redactions.

Of course, this was probably never intended to be put online in the first place.

Incorrect. The documents were processed in compliance with WA state law. Once records are made public under the law, there are 0 restrictions on what can be done with them. Dissemination is perfectly allowed.

Definitely an important point! If he came directly from Canada on a bus as some believe, wouldn't he have mixed currency at least? Having left only US currency is a good clue.

He did have those "crisp" new bills, and there was no bank in the area.

It's hard to say, but I feel like he was from the US, too.

The Redditor with the Lyle stuff messaged me on there wanted to make some things clear about the documents. His responses are in bold.

Incorrect. The files posted online are Lyle Stevik's case file from the sheriff's department with minor redaction, per WA state law. If it's in the file, it's related.

It's not illegal and it's not unethical, in my opinion. The police gathered this information for a reason, and if somebody wanted to do a citizen's investigation these are the documents they'd want, without any over the top redactions.

Incorrect. The documents were processed in compliance with WA state law. Once records are made public under the law, there are 0 restrictions on what can be done with them. Dissemination is perfectly allowed.

Is there any reason why my post is being singled out here?

I am glad to see an answer to the question about whether or not it's legal to put someone's driver's license number online, though.

He can't say whether or not the original intention was to put the documents online unless he prepared them personally(neither can I, for that matter).

I'd appreciate not being singled out again like this, in the future - I am, after all, neither the first person, nor the only person, to say something about what's visible in these documents today.

He can't say whether or not the original intention was to put the documents online unless he prepared them personally(neither can I, for that matter).

He did intend for that. There is still more coming that he is also releasing.

I didn't intend to single you out earlier. I apologize if it came out like that.

I had a look at the photos again and he really does remind me of an Argentinian friend of mine (who is alive though so it can't be him). The dark hair, the facial features, the light eyes. My friend has Italian roots and is quite short though.

... I am, after all, neither the first person, nor the only person, to say something about what's visible in these documents today.

Yeah, that was me. Didn't mean to open a can of worms. I do, however, respectfully disagree about the need to post driver's license numbers and mental holds on people who investigators have already determined are unrelated to the case. We each have our own code of ethics we adhere to. That would violate mine. While no Washington privacy laws may have been broken, those records originated in Idaho and pertained to citizens of Idaho and were shared with LE in Washington in the spirit of cooperation and those people have already been ruled out as being pertinent to the investigation.

hi again

and sorry for my not very good english, im Spanish

I ve read all threads and sometime participate in FB lyles page. This case is really sad.

As a matter of fact, here in Spain we have a case that still gives me goosebumps. 16 years old Eva Blanco was killed in Algete, Madrid. They have dna from killer and the whole town gave dna but the judge didnt allow to open the boxes were dna was storaged. Maybe killer did not gave dna but maybe some relative did... and we are still waiting for this poor little girl murder come to justice.

justice sometimes is "strange"

hi again

and sorry for my not very good english, im Spanish

I ve read all threads and sometime participate in FB lyles page. This case is really sad.

As a matter of fact, here in Spain we have a case that still gives me goosebumps. 16 years old Eva Blanco was killed in Algete, Madrid. They have dna from killer and the whole town gave dna but the judge didnt allow to open the boxes were dna was storaged. Maybe killer did not gave dna but maybe some relative did... and we are still waiting for this poor little girl murder come to justice.

justice sometimes is "strange"

Welcome to Ws seopaula, it is wonderful to have input from people all around the world!

Just been reviewing a few things that have already been discussed with a pair of fresh eyes. This was posted by dotr on page 51 but not much was said about it. From what I can gather, it's a website for former students of a school in Meridian, ID (this was the address Lyle gave when he checked in), looking for other students. I can't imagine an old school friend would have created that page without coming across the suicide first (you would do a Google search for any social media pages), so maybe it's just a sick joke? Plus, I think the majority of us are almost certain Lyle Stevik is a pseudonym/fake name of some kind. But like the rest of this case, it's very, very odd. I got goosebumps when I read, "Are you Lyle Stevik? This page means someone is someone is looking for you."

http://meridianhighschool.net/meridian-id/alumni/5159019/lyle-stevik.html

Plus, after what seemed like ages trawling through dead links and expired pages, I've managed to find the archived web page for The Daily World for Sunday, September 16, 2001. Sorry to belabour the point about the newspaper, and this is only relevant if there were indeed two copies found in the room. There's some confusion in the case file; in the notes section, there is definitely a reference to two copies, but in a checklist of items found at scene, there's only mention of one newspaper being found. I wish CCM was still around to confirm this either way. Like I've said, two copies seems very strange, and it's not like the motel would have provided a copy to the room (and then Lyle purchased a second by mistake), as this would have also happened on the Saturday.

This "online edition" has much less scope than the print version, but it's all we have for now. I can't really find anything that would pertain to Lyle, but have a look and see if you can spot anything worthwhile...

News stories
Surprisingly not that 9/11-focused like I would have thought. Can't see anything of note here though. Of course the print version would have had more news.

Obituaries
Only two obituaries listed.

Opinions/Letters
This section is much more 9/11 focused. This letter is VERY strong, but would have been no different to the general opinion of a large sector of the public at the time. This line is very belligerent: "Terrorism is akin to a huge demon octopus. When one tentacle is severed, the body simply grows another. Now is the time to destroy the body wherever it hides." This one is also very strong, stating "We will find you. You can no longer hide". Finally, this one calls for George Bush to carry out "unrestricted warfare" against all countries involved in terrorism. Dependent on his state of mind, and if he wasn't from the US, could Lyle have misinterpreted some of these perhaps? Like others have said, the fear of the authorities checking for legal identification that he didn't have? A general shift in public opinion against non-US nationals? I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here, as I've never been one to believe Lyle was involved in anything to do with 9/11 whatsoever. Although others might disagree...

It doesn't look like personals/classifieds are printed in the Sunday edition, but they are during the week. I'll also check the archives for stories during the previous week just to see if there's anything that could pertain to Lyle.

Is there any reason why my post is being singled out here?

I am glad to see an answer to the question about whether or not it's legal to put someone's driver's license number online, though.

I'd appreciate not being singled out again like this, in the future - I am, after all, neither the first person, nor the only person, to say something about what's visible in these documents today.
IMO you're questions were succinct and exactly what many of us wondered - don't take it as being singled out but rather as your voice has been heard!

Yeah, that was me. Didn't mean to open a can of worms. I do, however, respectfully disagree about the need to post driver's license numbers and mental holds on people who investigators have already determined are unrelated to the case. We each have our own code of ethics we adhere to. That would violate mine. While no Washington privacy laws may have been broken, those records originated in Idaho and pertained to citizens of Idaho and were shared with LE in Washington in the spirit of cooperation and those people have already been ruled out as being pertinent to the investigation.

I think you did the right thing by bringing it up, and I agree wholeheartedly with your disagreement! It violates my "personal code," as well...I know I'd hate to be one of the four(five?) people whose info is right out there for potential identity thieves to take.

But, on with the discussion. :)

Interesting observation about Lyle wearing his boots.
It might suggest that he was not a practicing Muslim, yet it seems uncomfortable and unnatural imo, to wear boots, in a small space, to commit an unpleasant act.
Wouldn't Lyle want to be as comfortable as possible, ie. the way he put a facecloth under the belt ..
Did the boots have sentimental value, did he want them to be ' taken away " with him, did he simply want to " die with his boots on", or was he showing the courtesy of modesty, to whomever finds him?

This says to me he was raised in the upper midwest or west, where you consider yourself lucky if the guys scrape the cow manure off their boots before they come to dinner. Okay, I'm exaggerating for effect, but it's very common to leave your boots on.

If Lyle is in fact Aboriginal, this article highlights the need for more awareness of all the missing men too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...eed-more-attention-too-n-w-t-mother-1.2945580

"Missing aboriginal men need more attention, too: N.W.T. mother
'It's really important that we find everybody,' says mother of Philip Leishman, missing since 2004"

"If you notice someone hasn't contacted you in their normal habit, if they normally call you every week and suddenly they haven't, go to the RCMP," she said.

"Go to your local detachment, and if they are found safely in a short period of time, that's great. If not, we will begin an investigation once we are contacted."

Leishman says her son was often busy with work and would go for extended periods of time without contacting her.

She says she hopes that the spotlight on missing aboriginal women will help raise awareness about missing men as well. She asks people with possible information about any missing person to go to the police.

"Let the RCMP know because there are people that are missing — there are families left behind, and children, and they all worry about each other​," she said"

After watching this poor guy pics (oh my god what a awful way of diying like some of you pointed before) he looks like native. But without dna we can not tell. Definitively does not look spanish to me. Not even french, portuguese or less from Scandinavian countries. What a mistery! really hope we can discover who he was and give him a name.

case file 1

case file 2

Also shared by Eugene - through PM on Reddit.

Thank-you to all that made the above case file docs available. Valid privacy concerns aside, the photos, witness and LE statements are invaluable imo.

Fwiw, by the time I got through the photos and statements, found myself asking many questions on the owner and employees of the motel. Went back to coldcaseman posts and was reminded he has expressed the same doubts/questions/skepticism. Questions were asked at the time about some of his doubts, but ccm does not necessarily elaborate and there were no visuals to refer to at the time.

Will make a few posts, for easy and concise reading, of the doubts/questions. Maybe a slightly different picture will emerge.

60 photos of the scene

IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK - THERE ARE SEVERAL POST MORTEM PICTURES THAT COULD BE TRIGGERING TO SOME PEOPLE

This album is very definitely NSFW - though there is no nudity, there is a suicide pictured. Reddit user EugeneBYMCMB posted the album link on the Unresolved Mysteries sub at Reddit 7 hours ago. He says all photos are from the police file.

Pulling photos forward for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members