WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
The maid -

There is no statement from the maid in case 1 and case 2 files.

See photo taken from the doorway - it spans across the bed and LS location is pretty much the first thing one would see from the doorway. Head tilted back, arms at his side and the belt around his neck tied to the rack is clearly visible.

ccm post from thread #2, page 7, #156 -

The maid said she "thought" Lyle was praying, but I'm sure the knew what had happened, and she called the manager.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1195454#post1195454

Thread 2, page 5, post #106 -

We didn't reinterview the maid, but in reading her description, I believe Lyle was already dead.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1194058#post1194058

For whatever reason, the maid knew nothing according to the owner of the motel - GB. From the reports, through others speaking on her behalf, she thought he was praying but found it necessary to contact owner at home.

Who was on front desk duty at that time? The answer is not clear from the written reports available.

Nothing earth shattering here - just questions.

Thank-you to all that made the above case file docs available. Valid privacy concerns aside, the photos, witness and LE statements are invaluable imo.

Fwiw, by the time I got through the photos and statements, found myself asking many questions on the owner and employees of the motel. Went back to coldcaseman posts and was reminded he has expressed the same doubts/questions/skepticism. Questions were asked at the time about some of his doubts, but ccm does not necessarily elaborate and there were no visuals to refer to at the time.

Will make a few posts, for easy and concise reading, of the doubts/questions. Maybe a slightly different picture will emerge.

There is one thing that Im unable to understand, maybe it´s because english is not my native language, or maybe because I alredady missed something. I can see in the reddits files Woodland posted some docs regarding a Car that its stated at stolen. How is that related to Lyle? Because i also saw one of us said that if the car issue was related and somebody said YES. By the way, who is the person that uploaded all pics and info from the death scene? A cop? Do we know that? Thanks in advance. Greetings from sunny Spain

The maid -

There is no statement from the maid in case 1 and case 2 files.

See photo taken from the doorway - it spans across the bed and LS location is pretty much the first thing one would see from the doorway. Head tilted back, arms at his side and the belt around his neck tied to the rack is clearly visible.

ccm post from thread #2, page 7, #156 -

The maid said she "thought" Lyle was praying, but I'm sure the knew what had happened, and she called the manager.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1195454#post1195454

Thread 2, page 5, post #106 -

We didn't reinterview the maid, but in reading her description, I believe Lyle was already dead.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1194058#post1194058

For whatever reason, the maid knew nothing according to the owner of the motel - GB. From the reports, through others speaking on her behalf, she thought he was praying but found it necessary to contact owner at home.

Who was on front desk duty at that time? The answer is not clear from the written reports available.

Nothing earth shattering here - just questions.

As far as I undesrtood the owner was at the front desk and the maid discover it, maybe she was illegal or had some problems with anything and just called the owner and he told her to say that in order police do not investigate her... that just came up, no idea.

Motel Owner GB -

According to GB statement, he received a call at home at 11:45 am from the maid that the guest in room 5 was unresponsive to her knocking so he immediately went to the motel and entered room 5. He immediately called 911 and then called his aunt BW, who was the manager of the motel, and asked about the check-in procedure for LS on 14 Sep.

Deputy DB was first LE on scene (following 2 FD EMT's). According to deputy DB, owner GB told him his aunt was 2 hours away in Olympia that day and not available for any questioning.

So who was on front desk duty that morning? Where was BW when GB called her?

Would a good motel owner have a list of other motels in the same price range in neighboring states handy for guests that are travelling?

Motel Manager, Aunt BW -

There is no written statement from BW included in case 1 and case 2 files.

According to statement of Detective LS, he contacted BW at 20:06 hours on 17 Sep. BW states LS did not have ID, she did not see him exit a bus (buses must have stopped in front of motel) but seemed OK so she checked him in. When he wanted to change rooms a short time later, BW states she had 'bad vibes' and LS seemed 'spaced'. LS made her nervous.

BW claims LS may have had a backpack - but she wasn't sure. Fwiw, I do believe LS likely a backpack at the time he checked in - it is said when someone is not being entirely truthful, there is always an element of truth in their story. How did LS carry crisp $20 bills? There was no bank nearby - at that time.

Thread 2, page 2, post #7 - ccm

Another point that wasn't in the flier was that the $20 bills he left for the room were crisp, as though he had just gotten them from a bank. There is no bank nearby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1190586#post1190586

Thread 2, page 4, post #97 - a suggestion

The missing backpack is interesting in a way. If it never existed then nothing can be gained but if it did exist then one has to wonder what became of it. Did an employee of the motel get sticky fingered but was loathe to admit it? If so perhaps reinterviewing the workers (if their names are on file somewhere) after so much time has passed might pop loose that info that was not forthcoming before. (I realize that may not be feasible since this is not a murder investigation and resources would be limited.)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1193584#post1193584

Imo, LE checking stolen cars within a large radius of this incident was prudent. Just my guess - to check location stolen and if recovered - where? Could someone have arrived or left Amanda Park in a stolen vehicle?

The owner did claim to be home at the time of discovery of body - more clear now with reports to refer to.

Three more notations by ccm -

Thread 2, page 4, post #88 -

... there was no alcohol or drugs in his system.

Page 10, #250 -

The suicide printing was slightly larger, and was more distinct. ..... You are right, there is a distinct change in handwriting.

Page 11, #258 -

He wrote "ID" and she at least got the name of the city from him, but she didn't know how to spell it.

She in above statement is manager and aunt BW.

Great analysis Woodland. You've brought up many interesting points. However, I think we have to take into consideration that this wasn't some super-hotel in London or New York, but a motel pretty much in the middle of nowhere, with only eight rooms (motel changed its name since 2001 but the building's the same - there are definitely only eight rooms), so things wouldn't have been that thorough. I did think the same as you at first, but now I just think it was a pretty relaxed place - if you didn't have ID, then staff probably let it slide. The fact that Lyle moved rooms at a weekend suggests they weren't all that busy, despite it being "summer season", so probably weren't too fussed with paperwork and identification - they just wanted paying guests. Maybe they were even worried about how 9/11 would affect their trade with people not wanting to travel.

BW just seems a bit scatty to me. Personally, if a guest was giving me bad vibes, I would have asked for ID at that point, although 'bad vibes' is hard to define (and CCM didn't ask her to elaborate on that at the time it seems). It could be a fear that the guest was going to trash/steal something from the room, or just that he was intense in the way he looked at her/spoke. I would also imagine that a backpack would be something you would remember, with so few guests/rooms (it's not like hundreds of people were checking in and out every day) but, again, we tend to gloss over the details if someone doesn't really stand out (Lyle was first described as 'okay'). Plus, BW could have felt really bad afterwards for not getting any identification, even though no-one's to blame.

Regarding the maid, I did think the "I thought he was praying" thing sounded a bit odd at first, but when you see the photos, you can clearly see what she means. Imagine the scene: she opens the door, notices someone in the corner, quickly closes the door. Deep down she knows what she saw, but the brain tries to rationalise everything and come up with a more likely - and palatable - explanation. Also, this wasn't a homicide inquiry, so there was no reason to interview everyone on the scene, especially when it was likely (at that point) that Lyle would quickly be identified by someone.

It pains me that staff didn't take more notice of Lyle's whereabouts/behaviour during those three days he was at the motel. However, judging by photos, the reception area is in a separate complex to the rooms, so Lyle could have passed in and out of the establishment without anyone really noticing. This is a photo of the same place today:

quinault-river-inn.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Room 8 would have been in the near building, Room 5 in the far building. I say that because the far building is much longer, and had porches on the other side (Lyle was spotted on the porch on the Saturday by other guests). That yellow "Dead End" sign suggests that you enter the motel passing the smaller building before you get to reception. If Lyle was seen on the road "pacing", it wouldn't have been from reception, which faces a large lawn. sign Here's a photo of the other side:

quinault-river-inn-4f5e24d846d09d675b000e59.jpg

Then the reception is in a small cottage-like building either to the left or right of the above building (not in photo).

The core point of the analysis is, should we believe everything the motel owners said? Imo, ccm did not - although he did not come right out and state that. Fwiw, after viewing the photos and reading both files available, I had doubts about the motel owner and employees.

Is it possible 2 parallel incidents were happening? As in a car accident for example - those hurt or distracted have their belongings stolen. Could something of value been found in room 5 before EMT's and LE arrived?

I believe the maid must have alerted the motel manager first so as to avoid any possible liability. Or, maybe she was scared (wouldn't you be scared if you happened upon a scene like that? Having zero idea if the guy was dead or alive?). Anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the maid made sure the owner received an immediate call - if he wasn't there already.

I would have been scared at such an unexpected scene - I'm sure I would have experienced at least 5 seconds (likely more) of my brain rejecting what my eyes were claiming to see. I would have then run to the front desk for help and moral support. So who was at the front desk? Or was she the lone employee at the time? Did she give a statement on 17 Sep? Neither Deputy DB or Detective LY mention speaking to her in their reports of 17 Sep. I can see she may have gone home after such an experience. Maybe she witnessed and experienced other things?

I got a chance to read over the consolidated posts by coldcaseman. A couple of things he mentioned put a couple of light bulbs on for me. In one post, he describes Lyle's handwriting as reminding him of the handwriting of doctors and other rushed medical professionals. In a different post he mentions that the placement of the belt was very well executed - placing pressure on both carotid arteries without placing too much pressure on the trachea. The first light bulb being the possibility that Lyle actually was a doctor, EMT or other medical professional. The second being, did Lyle die of asphyxia in the sense of the word as most of us perceive it (strangulation preventing O2 from entering the lungs and thereby preventing it from going to the brain), or was death actually the result of the blood flow carrying the dissolved O2 being cut off to the brain? The result is essentially the same: there is no O2 getting to the brain cells, so the cells begin to die. I can see "asphyxiation" being the technically correct cause of death in either case, but I can see the second method being much quicker and less uncomfortable. Again, if Lyle specifically planned to cut off the blood flow while avoiding the pain of the hunger for air, that hints further that he may have had a career in the medical field or have been a med student at some point.

Fwiw, I'm no longer convinced 'Lyle' wrote any of what was presented to LE on 17 Sep 2001 - other than the word suicide. My new suspicion is, the pen in 'Lyle's' pocket matched the writing of the word suicide, and not 'for the room'. The name and address at the front desk was likely written with a pen that was available at the front desk.

What are the chances Aunt B read the book 'You Must Remember This'? Reading would be a good way to fill ones day in between catering to guests needs at a motel. After all, it seems to be Aunt B that misspelled Meridian as Meridan. She could have also misspelled Stevick as Stevik. Jmo.

Motel Manager, Aunt BW -

There is no written statement from BW included in case 1 and case 2 files.

According to statement of Detective LS, he contacted BW at 20:06 hours on 17 Sep. BW states LS did not have ID, she did not see him exit a bus (buses must have stopped in front of motel) but seemed OK so she checked him in. When he wanted to change rooms a short time later, BW states she had 'bad vibes' and LS seemed 'spaced'. LS made her nervous.

BW claims LS may have had a backpack - but she wasn't sure. Fwiw, I do believe LS likely a backpack at the time he checked in - it is said when someone is not being entirely truthful, there is always an element of truth in their story. How did LS carry crisp $20 bills? There was no bank nearby - at that time.

Thread 2, page 2, post #7 - ccm

Another point that wasn't in the flier was that the $20 bills he left for the room were crisp, as though he had just gotten them from a bank. There is no bank nearby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1190586#post1190586

Thread 2, page 4, post #97 - a suggestion

The missing backpack is interesting in a way. If it never existed then nothing can be gained but if it did exist then one has to wonder what became of it. Did an employee of the motel get sticky fingered but was loathe to admit it? If so perhaps reinterviewing the workers (if their names are on file somewhere) after so much time has passed might pop loose that info that was not forthcoming before. (I realize that may not be feasible since this is not a murder investigation and resources would be limited.)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...s-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-2&p=1193584#post1193584
We don't know where he bought the soda or newspaper (s) and perhaps they had an ATM where he withdrew the money. Since LE did not check out the store, maybe they missed the chance of catching this transaction on camera and finding out his true identity.

I don't know if I will ever be %100 convinced of this being a suicide or at least of him being the only person there. Lyle wanted seclusion and we don't really know the answer as to why except noise (after seeing photos of the trees surrounding the place, it doesn't seem likely to be the real issue). Because the highway is a distance from the rooms and where he was pacing, it still makes me think he was waiting on someone. A walk to stretch his legs would have been more pleasant in the area around the motel not on the highway, imo. During the 3 days he was their guest, the staff didn't see much of him and could have easily missed another person sneaking in there. It could also explain the lack of a backpack, wallet, or other items. Could another person have left the money for the room and wrote the note? Could it be the missing link to this tragedy and explain why the 2 notes do not match up? There are many things leaving me a small window of doubt about the theories on Lyle's death.

Agree there are many doubts. Do we really know he was there for 3 days? The date is missing from the envelope the motel owner said was used as a way to check him in.

Imo, Lyle had been there before and is why he chose that spot to end his life. Seclusion, a room only on one side. Suspect the motel owner and employees had seen him before, or he had been there as a child/teen with family. Jmo.

As an addition to post #1495, from thread 2, page 11, post #258 - (unable to copy it at the moment for some reason).

ccm - 'He wrote "ID" and she at least got the name of the city from him, but she didn't know how to spell it'.

ID = Idaho and she is Aunt BW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member