DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, this guy didn't have to know the security camera system before entering. Since it happened during the day most do not have their system armed requiring them to disarm it every time they go out the door. He easily could have forced Savvas to tell him how to disarm the cameras or even made Savvas do it himself. Their address could easily be found on the internet.

This family shouldn't feel they have to live in a prison. They lived in a very safe neighborhood that probably sees very little violent crime. I don't see anything wrong about NG knowing the ins and outs of a home she had been employed at for 20 years. Of course she would know and there isn't any evidence that she told anything about the family affairs until after the murders had happened.

This is not the fault of this family for what happened to them. They were inside their home where they felt safe. They had no clue after living there for over a decade that a diabolical lowlife was plotting to invade their home to hold them hostage and demand cash.

From what I have read they had been married for over 20 years and not one thing happened to them in all that time. It would be easy to enter if it was in the daytime and all he had to do is grab the first one he saw or if he faked being with the utility department. If the maid opened the door which most maids do he could have pushed her back in the home threatening to harm her and everyone inside out of fear would comply. We have seen it happen in many other cases.

Human beings never give up hope until they take their last dying breath especially if they desperately want to live. Savvas tried to do everything humanly possible he knew to appease this guy and hoped that if he gave him what he wanted they would be spared. It is none of the victims fault that the one who stood before them had no mercy at all. Savvas tried to send every signal he could possibly think of telling them all something very bad was happening at home.

IMO

Not blame but clear observations of the facts.

Yeah but that's the thing- it's not a fact that it's like that. Not all rich people in DC have the same types of staff and prefer to do their own household stuff. Some have only a couple people who do a bunch of stuff. It's not weird at all. They're rich not the president- not everyone with money in DC feels like they need layers and layers of security. It's a nice and safe neighborhood where they know all of their neighbors. Be vigilant? Sure. But need to have a staff with the strictness of the secret service? No. That's not the vibe this family gives off. They're very down to earth people.

Sent from my not so humble opinion.

He was hired as a driver and the Bentley, Range Rovers and Porsches he drove for them were worth a lot more than $40,000.

And $40,000 is not that much money in the upscale DC environment. Phillip's annual private school tuition was more than that, and it did not include boarding. It sounds like a lot to us, but I'm sure SS would have written a check for $4,000,000 to save his family, if given the choice.

Yes!!!! 40k is pocket change to them. They had an art collection on display at the national cathedral at Christmas. One painting is likely worth triple that. Or even more.

Oh, here we go.

DNA doesn't lie, sir.

I watched that attorney on The Kelly File last night. He was insinuating that the pizza crust wasn't even found in the house....maybe they found it from a trash can outside, etc.

I'm sure that attorney wants to raise his profile---if I were a criminal I would certainly want someone like that representing me. For example, on The Wire there was a prominent attorney that Stringer Bell and his crew would use for their arrests. As the attorney stated, the accused has the right to refuse to speak without an attorney, and the right to a fair trial.

But Meghan Kelly really let him have it, particularly when he described DDW as a "nice person". I have new respect for Meghan now....she really gave him a run for his money. And Bernard Kerik was on the panel too, speaking as a former police professional. He said he is positive they have lot more evidence than just the pizza crust.

They have video, but I don't think that video will be seen by anyone but the jury. I got the sense it is quite gruesome.

I watched that attorney on The Kelly File last night. He was insinuating that the pizza crust wasn't even found in the house....maybe they found it from a trash can outside, etc.

I'm sure that attorney wants to raise his profile---if I were a criminal I would certainly want someone like that representing me. For example, on The Wire there was a prominent attorney that Stringer Bell and his crew would use for their arrests. As the attorney stated, the accused has the right to refuse to speak without an attorney, and the right to a fair trial.

But Meghan Kelly really let him have it, particularly when he described DDW as a "nice person". I have new respect for Meghan now....she really gave him a run for his money. And Bernard Kerik was on the panel too, speaking as a former police professional. He said he is positive they have lot more evidence than just the pizza crust.

They have video, but I don't think that video will be seen by anyone but the jury. I got the sense it is quite gruesome.

God I love the wire. My husband and I are re-watching the series right now actually!

I've noticed more than once in following evolving crimes that when you want to email a reporter about an inaccuracy, you cannot find a way to contact them to correct.

ETA: meant this in reply to above post... oopsie.

Thank goodness the 2 girls were not home at the time! I wonder if they would have been for the Memorial Day weekend?

Is it just me or does DDW look totally different in the mugshots and his selfies?

Where is the other $30,000?

Thank goodness the 2 girls were not home at the time! I wonder if they would have been for the Memorial Day weekend?

Is it just me or does DDW look totally different in the mugshots and his selfies?

Good question
Maybe he had a debt to pay

You know, some of my friends/family make fun of me for being a member here and for following crime cases all the time. But I think knowledge is power and it's helpful to know that these types of things happen, and can happen to ANYONE. No one is immune. Most of these crime victims could easily be any one of us.

Ever since the Petit home invasion, it's become one of my worst fears. But because of that, I have extra security on my home and I feel a little bit more "prepared" so to speak. If there's one tiny bit of positivity that can come from these things, it's that it hopefully helps people to be more cautious in their every day lives.

I have no idea what the exact circumstances were here, but because of this case, I refuse to answer my door if anyone comes knocking. They can call me on my cell if they know me.

jmo

I can't imagine living in fear like that. :(

I thought I read that LE could not find a vehicle registered in the suspect's name. Could he have paid cash for the white car he was in when arrested?

Just wondering.

God I love the wire. My husband and I are re-watching the series right now actually!

I love it too! I find it odd that the characters I love and root for are the police AND the criminals. But NOT the politicians!

I plan to do a re-watch like you are, starting this holiday season. I only wish I could watch it again from the start without knowing how everyone's story ends.

I had to laugh at Bernie Kerik being called 'former police professional', since he is also a convicted felon...

I love it too! I find it odd that the characters I love and root for are the police AND the criminals. But NOT the politicians!

I plan to do a re-watch like you are, starting this holiday season. I only wish I could watch it again from the start without knowing how everyone's story ends.

Yes I totally know what you mean! I feel like this about The Shield. Another awesome series if you haven't watched it yet. It's on amazon and Netflix

I started out thinking maybe it was a grudge. But for ten years not doing anything about it, the chances aren't likely. Or maybe he had a mild grudge but didn't feel like doing anything about. But then decided he needed money. And he used to know someone, or know of someone's with money. SS.

I am not convinced he really knew him. Probably was aware of him as CEO, knew how he dressed maybe even knew what cars he drove. But had probably never spoke to him. And may have resented him because SS was one of the "have's" and Wint was one of the "have nots".

Maybe he had seen newspaper writeups since his employment showing where they bought or lent art and other activities. So when Wint decided he needed money SS popped into his head.

I can't imagine living in fear like that. :(

I don't live in fear but I am more cautious now even though I too live in a very safe neighborhood. I am not paranoid though.

We also have an alarm system and cameras installed. I don't set it during the day because I am in and out of my home all day. Today I have had window and door installers here all morning because we are building an addition on to our home. Nicest guys you would ever want to meet but they come from a very reputable company and are bonded. We wouldn't dare let just anyone to do jobs for us. In fact the head installer lives not far from where we do.

I think it is wise to be cautious but not live in constant fear.

IMO

I started out thinking maybe it was a grudge. But for ten years not doing anything about it, the chances aren't likely. Or maybe he had a mild grudge but didn't feel like doing anything about. But then decided he needed money. And he used to know someone, or know of someone's with money. SS.

I am not convinced he really knew him. Probably was aware of him as CEO, knew how he dressed maybe even knew what cars he drove. But had probably never spoke to him. And may have resented him because SS was one of the "have's" and Wint was one of the "have nots".

Maybe he had seen newspaper writeups since his employment showing where they bought or lent art and other activities. So when Wint decided he needed money SS popped into his head.

I don't buy that either. This is all about greed and not revenge. He hasn't even worked for AIW for 10 years.

He would know however that if he was going to target a wealthy home to invade and demand cash Savvas' would be the home to hit.

IMO

Fox reporter just stated that they have been told all have been released other than Wint.

$40,000 is a pretty specific amount... Considering that the amount is connected to the martial arts studio grand opening events, is the killer connected to the martial arts studio? If not, can anyone find an ad promoting the grand opening?

$40,000 is a pretty specific amount... Considering that the amount is connected to the martial arts studio grand opening events, is the killer connected to the martial arts studio? If not, can anyone find an ad promoting the grand opening?

I am not certain it is connected
That may have been the excuse given to get the money from the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members