DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad they didn't say what time this text was sent. That would be extremely interesting. If it was sent before 6pm, for example, when the assailants supposedly entered the home. If it was sent after that - well, it doesn't implicate insiders.

Yes, but police didn't put the time into the affidavit.

When questioned, the assistant/driver could have been feeling guilty of something non-criminal (just knowing he was the last one at the house, or that he missed the call from SS). IMO, it appears he wanted sponsorship/funding for his racing career, which would have made him grateful for SS employing him... a good thing. So, it doesn't make sense why would he jeopardize this by doing anything criminal... thus, maybe he WAS just upset and made incorrect statements.

I just don't know. I find him very suspicious. When the police says someone lied it means they purposefully did it. They didn't say he mistakenly gave them he wrong information.

When questioned, the assistant/driver could have been feeling guilty of something non-criminal (just knowing he was the last one at the house, or that he missed the call from SS). IMO, it appears he wanted sponsorship/funding for his racing career, which would have made him grateful for SS employing him... a good thing. So, it doesn't make sense why would he jeopardize this by doing anything criminal... thus, maybe he WAS just upset and made incorrect statements.
Or he was trying to cover up doing something non-criminal he wasn't supposed to have done (such as taking a photo of the money).

Thanks for finding this. I think it is significant. Based on the reported "flurry of calls" between Savvas, his accountant, the bank and witness, I thought the withdrawal was ordered by his abductors, but "the package" referred to on Wed. In the text sounds to me like the $40k. In my mind, if there really was a plan to have $40k in cash, that raises the likelihood that this was an inside job motivated by the knowledge that a pile of cash would soon be floating around.

I do not buy that Savvas need it for the opening of his martial arts studio. Why would he need anything more than some tip money for contractors' crews, clean-up crew, movers, etc.? Maybe a little change for the cash register if there was one. Something not right was going on. Extortion? Blackmail? Drugs? Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but it just occurred to me that it is weird that the ceo of a large company would be opening a business like a martial arts studio and it sounds to me like it could be for money laundering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. All along I thought the $40,000 was very strange. Ransom? I don't think the criminals were that stupid. $4Million is more like it for ransom, considering the financial status SS had. SS does own an Investment firm in Puerto Rico, so this causes me to go hmmm. I also get the sense that SS was a very trusting, down to earth kind of person, willing to give the shirt off his back to another in need. SS's friendliness and generosity may have made him very vulnerable and open to the type of crime that took his and others' lives. I don't know if the S's would be what is called "nouveau riche" or if they came from old money. I can tell you that in my neck of the woods the two different types lead very very different lifestyles, one much more exposed,than the other.

I do not have a good feeling about the assistant at all.

You are talking about a guy who ate pizza supposedly wearing gloves, but left his saliva on the pizza and didn't destroy the pizza.
Yes, I think it's a fair guess he isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

I just don't know. I find him very suspicious. When the police says someone lied it means they purposefully did it. They didn't say he mistakenly gave them he wrong information.

Agree. My experience years ago as assistant/secretary to a gentleman in the shipping industry tells me that SS's assistant overstepped his boundaries more than once and his actions may have increased SS's vulnerability.

Family was already taken hostage on Wednesday (sometime after 6 pm).
So the fact that text message was send on Wednesday doesn't prove anything (especially since we don't know when it was send). After SS got home, and got taken hostage, the bank would already be closed. Thus, he would have to arrange money delivery for Thursday.

Actually as someone up thread pointed out, it could go one way or another, depending on the time of the text. The text could have been sent after 6:00 PM or at 10:00 AM. We will know what time eventually. Somehow the surviving housekeeper learned about the planned cash drop-off "for the new studio" and it seems likely to me that that she did not hear it from the police. So how had she heard about it? Could be one of the other employees told her after the crimes, or could be she knew before that. We shall see.

Details about Savopoulos's assistant who delivered $40,000 cash to family's home

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29129466/savopoulos-assistant

He posted photos on his Instagram account of the interior of Amy Savopoulos' Porsche that was taken from the Woodland Drive house and set on fire.

The assistant worked at the Autobahn Indoor Speedway in Jessup, Maryland until March. At the Go Kart racing site on Thursday, we were told that the Savopoulos assistant was “let go” in March. He had worked there since it opened in 2013. The employees have seen both Savvas and Philip Savopoulos many times to race go karts. They believe that is how he met the assistant who he recently hired.

Is he wearing PINK pants in that Porsche picture?

Guys they ARE still looking for the car- the link I posted above is continuously updated but here's a screen grab that was added 40 mins ago.
8ccefa4fcc48b61184724d46be7bc5ce.jpg

Sent from my not so humble opinion.

The text from that screen grab says (BBM):

The assistant put the money inside a manila envelope and left it on the driver's seat. Police did not find the envelope in the car during their search of the home.
Police said at Wint's court hearing Friday that they are still looking for a red car missing from the mansion's garage. It was not immediately clear whether this was the same vehicle.

I don't see how it can possibly be the same car if, as stated above, the police didn't find the envelope in the car during their search. IOW, if there was a car there and they searched it, it can't also be the car that is missing.

Thanks for finding this. I think it is significant. Based on the reported "flurry of calls" between Savvas, his accountant, the bank and witness, I thought the withdrawal was ordered by his abductors, but "the package" referred to on Wed. In the text sounds to me like the $40k. In my mind, if there really was a plan to have $40k in cash, that raises the likelihood that this was an inside job motivated by the knowledge that a pile of cash would soon be floating around.

I do not buy that Savvas need it for the opening of his martial arts studio. Why would he need anything more than some tip money for contractors' crews, clean-up crew, movers, etc.? Maybe a little change for the cash register if there was one. Something not right was going on. Extortion? Blackmail? Drugs? Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but it just occurred to me that it is weird that the ceo of a large company would be opening a business like a martial arts studio and it sounds to me like it could be for money laundering.

I definitely think something is up with this being a planned cash drop that got leaked and/or some of the money was stolen. The text on Wednesday to the driver combined with the flurry of activity hours after the cash drop took place tells me that something was up and that the bank had been working with SS before Thursday to get him that large amount of cash. If the driver did his job delivering the ransom in full after getting it when the bank opened that morning and the driver wasn't in on it there was no reason for SS to be alive and calling the driver at noon after the money had been picked up 3 hours prior.

W-1 drives the car, since he posted photos of the car's interior.

I just saw those pictures and I would just like to correct something I said earlier. I stated that I did not see anything wrong with taking pics of sweet work brags (I do it all the time) - and I still don't. But his pictures are straight up douchey. I do not take pictures like that. Mine are funny and obviously only trying very hard to be 100% nerdy.

And that is not a character statement. Against him.

Yet. (Maybe.). I would have to see the other types of pics he posts to make a full assessment lol

Is he wearing PINK pants in that Porsche picture?

I thought those were pink pants. Similar to the pants my toddler has with whales on them. Pseudo prepster. Pink and navy were very in last fall for dudes. When is the pic from (date)?

W1 admitted to lying to LE.

The assistant put the money inside a manila envelope and left it on the driver's seat. Police did not find the envelope in the car during their search of the home.
Police said at Wint's court hearing Friday that they are still looking for a red car missing from the mansion's garage. It was not immediately clear whether this was the same vehicle.

I don't see how it can possibly be the same car if, as stated above, the police didn't find the envelope in the car during their search. IOW, if there was a car there and they searched it, it can't also be the car that is missing.

I guess if a red car is missing there must have been more than one person involved and present at the house, since the blue car was driven away and torched.

I think his incorrect statements were out of fear of being implicated, because he realized sending a text photo of the money was not a good move on his part. Changing the money out of the bag into the envelope also maybe was not part of the instructions. So he lied about that. I think he had a reason to lie - I think his "upset" might have been about what could happen to him, even if totally innocent, because he messed with the money. Except now, he can be charged with lying to police. That wasn't so bright.

OR he could be guilty of something really bad. But we don't have the details to figure that out. Right now I'd really like to know the time of the original text about the "package." Was it before or after 6pm?

Agree. My experience years ago as assistant/secretary to a gentleman in the shipping industry tells me that SS's assistant overstepped his boundaries more than once and his actions may have increased SS's vulnerability.

Right- and it specifically states on page five of the 8 page document from "charging papers" that W1 stated he lied. He said it himself.

I agree after seeing the pictures that he definitely overstepped his boundaries as an employee. I mean even if he didn't overstep, the pictures overtly bragging about cars like he's all "cash money hoes" or fabulous or something are totally tacky. It's really gauche to brag about money. And really not classy. His pictures convey that. Totally douchey.

I'm still wondering why the perps were found with so many money orders?

Also much easier to travel with the money orders rather than stacks of cash. Which makes me think he was going to bounce- like back to Guyana.

I also think that W1 lied about the bag and in the picture only 20k was visible bc that was the split. 20k each was the payout

I wonder if they have the red bag now or its missing?

N

Surely the assistant knows exactly what type of car he put the money in. If he claims he doesn't, he is lying for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike