WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see that trash can with the trash in it and the bag laying in it? I was thinking maybe he tossed some stuff and maybe that bag was possibly left in there by the maid under the bag he may of tossed? I know a few hotels I have been to have left an extra bag in the trash cans. Also the one picture of lyle's pants, the pocket is loose.... I can't recall but I think most pants when new the pocket it kinda tight? Sorry hard to explain lol!

1 more thing, I did not see any mention if the woman who checked him in noticed if the clothes he died in was the same exact clothes he had on when he checked in........ I could of missed that though....

Ooooh - that 's an excellent question imo. Have not seen that addressed to date.

It has been opined that LS discarded his belongings between arriving at the motel and hanging himself. Not sure about that. Jmo.

Was that question ever put to Aunt BW I wonder?

Is it possible to move the crime scene pics and the case 1 and case 2 files to this thread? Tia.

Wow, we have a new thread? Already?

I agree with SeriouslySearching...I think this last picture was taken in more "natural" lighting, maybe even near a window(and, for anyone who hasn't looked, it isn't as sad of a picture as I thought it might be, even though it does show the belt around his neck). Lighting can have a tremendous effect on color, especially when it comes to hair. My own hair color is much lighter than my avatar makes it look, for instance, because I took that picture in low light - we've probably been seeing the same effect with most of Lyle's pictures.

Caucasian "black" hair is almost always really just a very dark brown(and I agree that he looks more like an "ethnic" Caucasian than like a Native American, but wouldn't rule the latter out by any means) - it only looks black because of its great contrast against the color of the person's skin. Whatever race Lyle was, he seems to have had relatively pale skin, and this new picture makes it look like it might have stayed that way even after sun exposure.

Considering the weather, and whether or not it's coat weather...I don't know. To me, it's only coat weather if I'm going to be outside for a long time(and even then, any "coat" worn would basically just be a regular long-sleeve shirt). And he was a man; men don't seem to get cold as easily as most women.

He must have been some kind of magician to make his clothes appear clean even after(apparently) wearing them for such a long time...I have thought about this several times, and all I can think of is that he must have washed them every day and then put them back on(that'd wear them out very quickly, though). His clothes could be another argument in favor of him having had a backpack with him at some point.

<modsnip>

I clicked on those links and I am confused. Who is at those links?

What baffles me is how people seemed to have little recollection of him, despite being seen alive for 2 days before. There HAS to be some people who did see him on Friday and Saturday (aside from the ones who saw him on the porch).

They need to find the Saturday witnesses. What was his demeanour at that time? What was he doing?

Well, I guess that probably means he wasn't there because of memories of staying at that hotel. I wonder what it was before it was a hotel(if anything).

It is amazing how so many cases have these "mysterious witnesses" who give one vague statement and can never, ever be found later on for more detailed interviews.

Maybe he made a concerted effort on his own to keep himself from being especially memorable to the people who saw him, but it seems like it'd be really difficult to(for example) go to the store without someone remembering you. I mean, if you buy something, you almost have to speak to at least one person(the cashier).

Well, I guess that probably means he wasn't there because of memories of staying at that hotel. I wonder what it was before it was a hotel(if anything).

It is amazing how so many cases have these "mysterious witnesses" who give one vague statement and can never, ever be found later on for more detailed interviews.

Maybe he made a concerted effort on his own to keep himself from being especially memorable to the people who saw him, but it seems like it'd be really difficult to(for example) go to the store without someone remembering you. I mean, if you buy something, you almost have to speak to at least one person(the cashier).

Pretty sure Jacie gave us specifics on the hotel; it's in the old thread.
As for people remembering him; it depends on the person at the store & how busy they are

Wow, we have a new thread? Already?

I agree with SeriouslySearching...I think this last picture was taken in more "natural" lighting, maybe even near a window(and, for anyone who hasn't looked, it isn't as sad of a picture as I thought it might be, even though it does show the belt around his neck). Lighting can have a tremendous effect on color, especially when it comes to hair. My own hair color is much lighter than my avatar makes it look, for instance, because I took that picture in low light - we've probably been seeing the same effect with most of Lyle's pictures.

Caucasian "black" hair is almost always really just a very dark brown(and I agree that he looks more like an "ethnic" Caucasian than like a Native American, but wouldn't rule the latter out by any means) - it only looks black because of its great contrast against the color of the person's skin. Whatever race Lyle was, he seems to have had relatively pale skin, and this new picture makes it look like it might have stayed that way even after sun exposure.

Considering the weather, and whether or not it's coat weather...I don't know. To me, it's only coat weather if I'm going to be outside for a long time(and even then, any "coat" worn would basically just be a regular long-sleeve shirt). And he was a man; men don't seem to get cold as easily as most women.

He must have been some kind of magician to make his clothes appear clean even after(apparently) wearing them for such a long time...I have thought about this several times, and all I can think of is that he must have washed them every day and then put them back on(that'd wear them out very quickly, though). His clothes could be another argument in favor of him having had a backpack with him at some point.

Maybe Lyle wore other tighter clothing underneath the baggy ones he was found wearing?
Handy technique for traveling with bare-bones luggage, imo.

What baffles me is how people seemed to have little recollection of him, despite being seen alive for 2 days before. There HAS to be some people who did see him on Friday and Saturday (aside from the ones who saw him on the porch).

They need to find the Saturday witnesses. What was his demeanour at that time? What was he doing?
If they had talked to the people inside the store, they may have found someone who did notice him. And did they canvas the mobile home park?

Did anyone notice the two stains on Lyle's shirt toward the bottom on the front? I wonder if those could still be tested?

My mind wandered back into a scenario where he was not alone in that room. Little things like that make me study every other detail in case this was only set up to look like a suicide. The injuries to his hands, the missing trash can liner in the bathroom (yes, I think the maid left the folded one underneath the one lining the can so it indicates it was taken out and not replaced), the notes, no wallet, no ATM/debit card, no bag, no clothing, no bus ticket, and no vehicle. I wish I were totally convinced this was as it seems, but something keeps nagging at me.

As for people remembering him; it depends on the person at the store & how busy they are
How busy could that store ever have been at any given time? It wasn't on a very busy stretch of highway in that remote location. I think the business they got would have been from the occasional traveler/hiker/fisherman, the RV/mobile home park, the motel, and people living nearby. So under 30 customers a day perhaps? Unless people piled into the place when he was there, I suspect it would have been fairly easy to recall Lyle at the time.

What happened to Lyle's other clothes? Were they in a backpack? A car? Did he arrive in the clothes that he would die in?

My question is this: would clothes not start to smell if you wearing them for three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)? CCM said the clothes Lyle was found in were not soiled in anyway. I think he said he was surprised at that, and I am too. There were no food stains or dirt found on the clothes Lyle was wearing.

And then, of course, underwear... Sorry to be crude but you can imagine what would happen if you wore the same underwear for that long (and taking frequent showers wouldn't make a difference). And seeing as he didn't have anything else in the room, was he sleeping in his underwear too? Perhaps he didn't check in until Sunday, but as previously mentioned, he was seen on the porch on Saturday (by hotel guests I'm presuming).

A quick search on old weather data suggests that it was 11-12 Celsius in Amanda Park, Washington, from September 14 through 16. That's not cold by any regard, but is that not coat weather? Lyle only had a T-shirt.

I don't have any answers and my post does not help, but how Lyle chose to die just breaks my heart. This case haunts me. I bought the book 'You Must Remember This' from a bookstore online from the northwest. I do believe he read the book and got the name from it although he made a minor change in the spelling of the last name.

Lyle somehow just seems like a 'romantic' and a very sensitive person. He chose a very beautiful and tranquil place to take his life. He apparently felt he had no reason to live and that is so, so sad at such a young age. Had someone he loved very much passed away and he promised to spread the ashes in that place? Had someone he loved broken up with him or rebuffed him in some way?

I agree with you about the clothing, Estelle1. I believe Lyle did have a backpack at the very least and maybe threw it in the lake. There are visitors galleries of pics found at the motel site that shows there were some heavy rocks there. The backpack could have sank to the bottom of the lake with a heavy rock in it. Was the lake or surrounding wooded area ever checked since there was no baggage or even backpack found with him?

I don't know about anyone else, but at the end of a trip the first thing I want to do is take a shower and get out of the clothing I traveled in. Lyle was well groomed and I question whether he would have kept the same clothing on after a trip from Idaho or wherever he traveled from. Where did any of the busses that stopped there originate?

Sorry for the long post that really doesn't help anything at all. I just cannot forget Lyle even though I know nothing that will help. If only Lyle could have hung on longer he would have found that the sun could shine for him again and eventually he could have smiled again. Life is full of changes and ups and downs, so I believe he could have felt differently if only he had held on longer. I am so very sorry he felt he had to do this and in a way that would let no one know who he was.

:tears:

It is difficult to search the old threads with my internet connection. It seems like this is the first time I've heard about the "newness" of the hotel, though(well, its "newness" as of the date of his arrival).

He was in so many places besides the store. Why did nobody see him arriving in the area when he is so distinctive looking, and why is only one person(apparently only one person, I should say) aware of him having paced around in plain view of so many cars? It's really strange.

He must have had secrets about hiding in plain sight I wish I had sometimes! :)

Maybe Lyle wore other tighter clothing underneath the baggy ones he was found wearing?
Handy technique for traveling with bare-bones luggage, imo.

It almost has to be something like this.

And this gives me an idea...maybe it was his favorite outfit, or he was wearing it to remind himself of whatever made him come to the area, even if it was too big...and maybe he even "padded" it with smaller clothes to make it fit him better(and just removed those others later, discarding them with the backpack if it existed).

If someone found such clothes discarded somewhere, maybe his credit card or SS card or etc. would be wrapped up in them. If they were in a backpack, they might have been protected from the elements for all this time.

I'm not sure that info is correct. That site lists it as "Lake Quinault Inn" which is the correct motel but they have a link to Quinault River Inn which is similar but not the correct motel.
I got them confused, too.

Here are the correct addresses:

(Where Lyle was found)
Lake Quinault Inn Inc
8 N Shore Rd
Amanda Park WA 98526

Quinault River Inn
8 River Drive
Amanda Park, WA 98526

They are 2 miles apart. The Quinault River Inn layout is similar, but I will say much nicer. It is easy to mix them up because of the addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021