Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
QGy2z20.jpg

Julia Niswender

Who Killed EMU Student Julia Niswender? Police Still Seeking Tips
November 14, 2013 7:52 AM

YPSILANTI (WWJ/AP) - New tips are being sought in the case of a 23-year-old Eastern Michigan University student whose December bathtub drowning was ruled a homicide. Crime Stoppers on Thursday will renew the call for information about the death of Julia Niswender. More than $15,000 is being offered for information that leads to an arrest.

Niswender was a Monroe native and an undergraduate at the Ypsilanti school. Her body was found in her bedroom Dec. 11 at the Peninsular Place Apartments on Huron River Drive, located across the street from the campus police station.

A medical examiner ruled the official cause of death as asphyxiation associated with drowning.

[...]
Anyone who might have information is asked to contact Ypsilanti police at 734-482-9878. Tips can also be provided anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP, online at www.1800speakup.org, or by texting “CSM” and your tip to CRIMES (274637).
Julia Niswender's stepfather named person of interest in her death, police say
By Darcie Moran | dmoran@mlive.com March 04, 2015 at 12:21 PM, updated March 04, 2015 at 1:20 PM

[...]
The Ypsilanti Police Department has named James Turnquist as a person of interest in the death of his stepdaughter and Eastern Michigan University student Julia Niswender.

Turnquist is in custody in the Monroe County jail on a child *advertiser censored* charge.
Julia Niswender's stepdad was home when police believe she was killed, lawyer says
By Darcie Moran | dmoran@mlive.com March 05, 2015 at 6:11 PM, updated March 06, 2015 at 10:05 AM

[...]
Although the Ypsilanti Police Department has named Turnquist a person of interest in Niswender's death, Ypsilanti police Lt. Deric Gress said it would be incorrect to call him a suspect at this time. "He has been on our radar," Gress said. "But I don't think we've gotten to that point."
Verified Insiders:
Trojan1966
4ist
MIMOMMY

Media Thread

Julia Niswender Case Map

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

I'm sure this was discussed earlier, but I wasn't aware of it until now when I read an earlier article. Julia was asphyxiated before she was placed in the bathtub. The article goes on to describe a medical condition Julia shared with her twin and her mother, vasovagal syncope. This condition can cause an individual to lose consciousness at moments of high distress, but was "absolutely" ruled out as a factor in her death.

In light of the other facts, i.e., no sign of forced entry, no evidence of robbery, Christmas gifts still wrapped, purse "untouched"; one could surmise that Julia's death was set up to look like an accidental drowning after she suddenly lost consciousness while taking a bath. I'm not pointing fingers at the stepdad or anyone else, but I can see now why LE might be looking for a suspect who knew Julia well enough to be aware of her medical condition, but who was unaware that an autopsy could rule out a vasovagal syncope event prior to drowning. Just a thought.

Yuhas said the medical examiner's report shows Niswender died as a result of asphyxiation associated with drowning, but he confirmed the asphyxiation occurred prior to her being placed in the bathtub...

"We don't know how she was asphyxiated," Yuhas said, after indicating it could have been done in a number of ways.

[...]
According to the Mayo Clinic, vasovagal syncope, one of the most common causes of fainting, occurs when a person's body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress.

The trigger causes a sudden drop in an individual's heart rate and blood pressure, leading to a reduced blood flow to the brain, which results in a brief loss of consciousness.

Yuhas said investigators were aware of the medical condition, which was ruled out as a cause of death.

"It has absolutely been ruled out," Yuhas said.
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2013/11/julia_niswender.html

Trojan, since you have a copy of the report, can you confirm that the reason for CPS action is the child *advertiser censored* charges? Or is it due to separate allegations?

There's more than the pending child *advertiser censored* involved. The "old" allegations from October 2000 are also mentioned.

What is exactly at stake here? What will happen if he is found guilty of neglect?
What is the burden of proof for DPS?

I'm not sure but we will all know by tomorrow night exactly what happened. If JT is found guilty in probate court, then basically KT & JT will not be able to live together! Not sure how that's going to work out if that happens.

There's more than the pending child *advertiser censored* involved. The "old" allegations from October 2000 are also mentioned.

What exactly does the report say about the October 2000 allegations? Are there any allegations in the report that we do not know already?
Who will testify tomorrow? I wonder if Jennifer will testify.

Can anyone tell me about the 2000 allegations?

Also, what problems was Julia having at home that caused her to stay with her grandmother when not in school and what does her mom and sister say about that?

I'm learning about this case. But I'd like to point out that if a person lost their best friend, their sister, their twin, they might be psychologically incapable of viewing the perp as someone in the home who the mother brought in and is supporting. They might be incapable of forming opinions that could cause them to lose what they have left.

Also, what problems was Julia having at home that caused her to stay with her grandmother when not in school and what does her mom and sister say about that?

I'm learning about this case. But I'd like to point out that if a person lost their best friend, their sister, their twin, they might be psychologically incapable of viewing the perp as someone in the home who the mother brought in and is supporting. They might be incapable of forming opinions that could cause them to lose what they have left.

Gitana,

Thank you *so* much for joining us on this dynamic thread. Your expertise and unique view is greatly appreciated. There is a CPS hearing today, but I'm sure Julia's grandfather will respond to your question after that. Thank you again for joining us!

It seems that there is a live stream. It says recess until 3:30pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like they are showing a different court case. JTs hearing is probably over but I dont know what happened. I cannot post links from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All............. The Probate Court hearing today was for neglect against JT. The charges were dropped!! Why, I have no idea. Plus the Probate Judge did put a restriction on him in that he may only have supervised visits with his minor daughter. I'm not sure how that can be if the terms of him being bounded out of jail in Circuit Court said no contact with anyone under the age of 18.
With the charges being dropped, I'm sure JT and KT are considering this a big victory!

The year 2000 allegations were of abusing the girls when they were younger. The was a DPS report filed by their elementary school and DPS looked into it but did not do anything as far as a follow-up other than one home visit. This report and a description of these allegations were on the petition today in Probate Court. Unfortunately the "neglect" charges against JT were "dropped" today. These charges against KT were dropped last month.

Julia's move to Grandma's house was do to an altercation between her and her mom (KT). JT packed her clothes up in garbage bags and threw them out into the yard. I have no idea what her mom and sister say about this as they don't talk to me anymore!

Gitana,

Thank you *so* much for joining us on this dynamic thread. Your expertise and unique view is greatly appreciated. There is a CPS hearing today, but I'm sure Julia's grandfather will respond to your question after that. Thank you again for joining us!

:blowkiss:

Hi All............. The Probate Court hearing today was for neglect against JT. The charges were dropped!! Why, I have no idea. Plus the Probate Judge did put a restriction on him in that he may only have supervised visits with his minor daughter. I'm not sure how that can be if the terms of him being bounded out of jail in Circuit Court said no contact with anyone under the age of 18.
With the charges being dropped, I'm sure JT and KT are considering this a big victory!

If there's not enough evidence then charges may be dismissed or dropped. However, the man was arrested for child *advertiser censored* and that clearly stands.

In the case of bail conditions and probate or family court orders conflicting, the bail conditions will remain in place regardless of the conflicting probate orders, unless the criminal court agrees to modify the conditions.

That means that unless the criminal court concurs with the probate court orders, JT will not be allowed to have contact with his child, if that's precisely what the bail conditions state. (Sometimes there are exceptions in bail conditions).

What were the neglect allegations?

The year 2000 allegations were of abusing the girls when they were younger. The was a DPS report filed by their elementary school and DPS looked into it but did not do anything as far as a follow-up other than one home visit.

Julia move to Grandma's house do to an altercation between her and her mom (KT). JT packed her clothes up in garbage bags and threw them out into the yard. I have no idea what her mom and sister say about this as they don't talk to me anymore!

Thank you so much.

This somewhat reminds me of the quote in the Detroit Free Press from KT about not letting 'everyone steal away my memories.' To me, IMOO she was communicating that she will remain in denial (as long as possible). I could empathize and understand this.

:blowkiss:

If there's not enough evidence then charges may be dismissed or dropped. However, the man was arrested for child *advertiser censored* and that clearly stands.

In the case of bail conditions and probate or family court orders conflicting, the bail conditions will remain in place regardless of the conflicting probate orders, unless the criminal court agrees to modify the conditions.

That means that unless the criminal court concurs with the probate court orders, JT will not be allowed to have contact with his child, if that's precisely what the bail conditions state. (Sometimes there are exceptions in bail conditions).

What were the neglect allegations?

My guess would be that the Criminal Court did agree to modify the conditions and allow JT to see his minor daughter.

My guess would be that the Criminal Court did agree to modify the conditions and allow JT to see his minor daughter.

That may not be the case. Sometimes one court will issue orders as a back up that are less stringent than another. Trojan1966, do you know if bail conditions were modified?

That may not be the case. Sometimes one court will issue orders as a back up that are less stringent than another. Trojan1966, do you know if bail conditions were modified?

Thank you so much, gitana1, for helping with Julia's case. This is very much appreciated. I'd like to be set straight on this because it completely boggles me.

I'd like to try to understand:

how considering:

what is known of the history of

abuse (DPS notified her elementary schools about beatings Julia was suspected receiving from her step-dad)

violence (physical fight with her mom a step-father who teaches hand to hand combat to young girls and boys, a form of controlled violent contact, none-the-less a sport),

perversion (by step-dad, *advertiser censored* charges, family allegations of abuse, estrangement, anger, even a bit of disdain shown toward her by Turnquist after death, which stood out during a ceremony remembering her shown on MSM, IIRC), and

avoidance, by the adults KT and JT, (not cooperating with LE, and being named a POI in her murder)

in relation to the minor they raised and lost, Julia,

her twin they raised to adulthood as well but kept,

and, now while the Turnquist = Red Team are responsible for,

with what seems to me, willy nilly restrictions as described by DnC,

the well-being of a minor in the middle of these potentially collapsing personalities,

is not being considered
, as I completely agree with what you say, below?

RBBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member