Found Deceased FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

The whole shot in the back after she was shot point blank in the head (and definitely dead) bothers me. Why? She was obviously and irrevocably deceased, and whomever killed her had already dragged her body into the cornfield. Why the shot to the back?

And to my knowledge this wasn't a random rape and kill, at least that isn't what it's made to sound like. So this was personal, at least to some degree? Could she have told someone she was pregnant? Maybe even if it was a lie? Maybe the shot to the back was through the stomach? TOTALLY reaching here, but that would give some "cause" to why the shot through the "back". And of course, totally just conjecture, MOO, all of that stuff!

The shot to the back was not through the stomach, it was the upper back, and exited just below her left armpit.

She wasn't sexually molested so yes it does go beyond what we assume could happen to a teenage runaway a 1000 miles from home. The misdirection of where her body was found (heading back towards the direction of the town where she was last reportedly seen) could mean there may have been some sort of dispute and she might have demanded (s)he turn the car around and head back into Lima.

That is the one thing that puzzles me about this whole case; why was she found on the eastbound lane of route 20, east of where she was last seen? I think that's the key.

Trying to clear up a few things, without making it more confusing.

Tammy Jo's body indicates that she was certainly not living on the road long. Her legs and underarms were shaven, and we all know that it doesn't take to many days for those to have noticeable stubble.

LE actually suspect Tammy was killed after midnight. Her stomach contents show that she was killed approx. 2 hours after she ate. That would indicate a late dinner, so there probably were not many people in the diner.

Everybody who was in the diner was questioned. As far as the waitress, I am not sure why she noticed the man so clearly and could really only recognize Tammy Jo due to her jacket.

Nobody seems to know why she was found on the east side. Nobody has been able to determine where she was or might have been doing that 2 hour window.

There is no valid information to indicate that she was ever headed to Boston. Nobody at LCSO has any idea where the trucker story or her heading for Boston came from.

As for her being comfortable with the man she as with, according to her family, Tammy Jo had a very friendly and outgoing personality. While I personally agree that she knew her killer, they tell me that an hour after Tammy met someone, it was as if she had known them all of her life.

As far as her belongings go, nobody knows where they went, or even if she had anything with her.

Does anyone know if a graveside memorial service has been scheduled for Tammy Jo? I seem to recall reading in an article linked here at WS shortly after she was identified that a service might be scheduled in early May.

May God continue to bless all of you who worked so long and hard to identify her. You are amazing!

Does anyone know if a graveside memorial service has been scheduled for Tammy Jo? I seem to recall reading in an article linked here at WS shortly after she was identified that a service might be scheduled in early May.

May God continue to bless all of you who worked so long and hard to identify her. You are amazing!

No service has been scheduled yet, as far as I know.

The service will be June 10 at 10am according to Time Warner news.

We may be doing a fund raiser for a new headstone but are unsure if we could raise the money by June 10. We would like to leave the original stone there

New Headstone For Tammy Jo Alexander
By TWC News Staff
Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 06:49 AM EDT
Organizers at Stephenson-Dougherty Funeral Home tell Time Warner Cable News that the new engraving will go on the back of the current monument, leaving the old one intact. Right now, just her name and dates are planned, along with a new base to make it taller.
Pastor Dave Hotchkiss is expected to lead the 10 a.m. public service on June 10 when the memorial will be unveiled.

Very good article about Tammy Jo's friend Laurel Nowell written by Gary Craig of the Democrat and Chronicle

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...exander-cali-jane-doe-laurel-nowell/28092759/

In Mr. Craig's article he mentions a fund raising site set up for Laurel Nowell so she can attend Tammy Jo's memorial on June 10th.

Websleuths does not endorse anyone's attempt at fundraising. Nothing against this campaign it's just a black and white rule. Unless specifically stated we do not discuss any fundraising on Websleuths.

Feel free to comment on the article but not on the fundraising.

Thank you,
Tricia

Tammy Jo Alexander “Caledonia Jane Doe” - 1963-1979 Obituary

Tammy Jo's high school friend started journey to her ID Gary Craig, Staff writer 10:12 a.m. EDT May 29, 2015 -
.. She continued to traverse the web for more information, eventually finding an obituary for Alexander's mother that reported Tammy Jo as deceased. Yet, try as she might, Nowell, a genealogy buff, could find no record or information of Alexander's death or burial location.

"I don't know why whoever put that obituary in included that unless they just wanted to write her off," Nowell said.

But the obituary did help her locate Dyson. From her, Nowell learned that Alexander had vanished in 1979. Dyson said she had always been told that the police were aware of Alexander's disappearance.

"We always thought she was being looked for," Dyson said. "(Nowell) took it upon herself to dig deeper."

Nowell could not find any record of Alexander's disappearance, and tried to get the information plugged into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, or NamUs, which is operated by the U.S. Department of Justice.

NamUs wanted a police report, so she contacted police in Brooksville, Florida, where she and Alexander had lived.

"Of course they thought I was a lunatic and they blew me off for a month," she said. However, working with Dyson, she was eventually able to get a report generated about Alexander's disappearance. Police could find no such report from 1979.

The information was posted on NamUs, and, shortly thereafter, a California resident, Carl Koppelman, saw the report and considered Alexander a match with photos he'd seen of "Cali." Koppelman is a member of Websleuths.com, a network of online volunteer investigators who pore over reports of missing persons and dead bodies that are unidentified.

Koppelman contacted Nowell and others, then they reached out to the police. A DNA comparison with Dyson provided the proof that "Cali" was Tammy Jo.

attachment.php

Tammy Jo Alexander: Sister has theory why teen wasn't reported missing
Though their mother was “terribly mean,” said Dyson, Tammy Jo was her favorite child. It's because of this fact that Dyson can't believe that Tammy Jo was never reported missing.

“(Tammy Jo) had a probation officer, that person has now passed away and according to the detective, there is no record of them, those have all been purged,” she said. “I think my mom may have told my sister's probation officer 'she's gone again.' I'm assuming it was an 'oh, she'll show up or come back.'”

It is really sad that Tammy Jo's new headstone was shown to the world before her own family get to see it at the memorial on the 10th. I personally have been really emotionally drained by the way everything happened from the originally leak of the presser; the way LCSO trashed the family for no report; still have not given an apology; now this.

Headstone Placed for Tammy Jo Alexander By TWC News Staff Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 06:13 AM EDT

It was added after identifying the Jane Doe from a case 35 years ago. Tammy Jo Alexander's name and monument were put back in place at a Dansville cemetery Friday night.

Representatives from Stephenson-Dougherty Funeral Home say they placed the new engraving on the back of the current monument, leaving the old one intact.
c6371178-b117-45ed-8c25-8d76b3bc3830.jpg

Pam's Eulogy for her sister:

[video=youtube;zQ0UqH-a1Nk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0UqH-a1Nk[/video]

The family requested that no interviews be given while they were in NY to mourn for Tammy Jo. As Pam states in the video, this is their funeral and the first time they have gotten to actually say good bye to Tammy Jo. They did give me permission to share this video because they know so many people here loved Tammy Jo/Cali and worked very hard to identify her.

Has there been any recent update on the search for the person(s) responsible for Tammy Jo Alexander's death? [Last I recall, some investigators were travelling to attempt to learn more about connections to Ranbow Prison Ministries, Inc.]

From Cali's thread.
I was in New York last Wednesday to attend Tammy's memorial. I brought my dashcam along with me, and placed it in the windshield of my rental car.

Here is the first of two clips of the drive through the cemetery.

[video=youtu;FmG3do7HkUc]http://youtu.be/FmG3do7HkUc[/video]

Right at the end of this video, just before it stops, if you look off to the left, you can barely see the bench in front of the treeline. It's kind of hard to see, but you can see it a few seconds before my car stops.

It is on the YouTube video, at 11:58:49 (on the camera clock), and about 4:09 of the video timer, just beyond a grave with yellow flowers in front of it.

2nd part of Carl's video
Here is part 2 of 2.

[video=youtu;fT6GyLCJh3U]http://youtu.be/fT6GyLCJh3U[/video]

It begins with the grave site out of view to the left.

I then make a U-Turn to double back, and at about 1:17 of the video, the grave site is at the very right of the screen at the treeline (although the grave stone is barely visible in the video).

At the very end of the video at about 4:52, the Moose Lodge (from where the balloon release took place) is the red building on the right of the screen.

why on earth did Tammy have a probation officer? from what I read about her, she didnt seem like a trouble maker at all. her sister stated that she was a nice and outgoing girl and she even had a job at a waitress. was it because she kept running away?

why on earth did Tammy have a probation officer? from what I read about her, she didnt seem like a trouble maker at all. her sister stated that she was a nice and outgoing girl and she even had a job at a waitress. was it because she kept running away?

No doubt. Things are not always as "advertised", to be sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back