Hawaiian fisherman killed by swordfish that speared him back

zwiebel

Reaction score
The captain of a charter boat on Big Island was so excited to spot a swordfish in the water nearby, he jumped in to try and spear it. The 6ft long swordfish speared him back with its sharp bill before it died, in the chest.

He was pulled unresponsive from the water and could not be resuscitated.

"He was a tough guy, he was such a tough guy that everyone's scared of him, the whole harbor's scared of him," Kalina Llanes, the man's sister-in-law, told the station.

She added that those who knew him well were "not scared of him because he has such a big heart."

Local TV has named the fisherman as 47-year-old Randy Llanes.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/20...an-dies-in-struggle-with-swordfish-he-speared

The captain of a charter boat on Big Island was so excited to spot a swordfish in the water nearby, he jumped in to try and spear it. The 6ft long swordfish speared him back with its sharp bill before it died, in the chest.

He was pulled unresponsive from the water and could not be resuscitated.

Local TV has named the fisherman as 47-year-old Randy Llanes.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/20...an-dies-in-struggle-with-swordfish-he-speared

OMG. My family fished on the Sundowner with Capt. Randy about 2 years ago. He was THE best boat captain and we had a trip of a life time off the Kona Coast. His deck hand (at the time) was from Boerne, Tx. Great trip!! I hooked a big blue marlin (broke the line after we backed up forever to keep up with the line going out). Caught some yellow fin tuna, short billed spearfish, mahi mahi, and a wahoo. The "rules" were the boat gets 1/2 the fish. We left all the fish with Capt. Randy since we were in a hotel and had no way to cook anything.

I'm sad.

RIP Captain.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member