MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #3 *INDICTMENT*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I so hope we can get justice for Freddy some day.

What does justice for Freddie Gray mean to you, Goose22?

Hypothetically speaking, let's say that LE officers followed all protocol, did not engage in any rough-riding, or physical altercations, but the fatal error was that Officer Porter considerately put Freddy Gray back in seat, when it may have been safer to keep Freddy Gray on the van floor. And Mr. Gray did not appear in physical distress (ie breathing, talking, moving, but actually consumed drug before arrest, and this was unknown to officers at that time). What does justice for Freddy Gray mean to you Goose22 (or any WS poster) in hypothetical scenario?

Just some hypos.

Judge strikes state's motion for gag order in Freddie Gray case

The judge presiding over the prosecution of six Baltimore Police officers involved in the arrest of Freddie Gray struck the state's motion for a gag order in the case.

The attorneys for the six officers had asked the court to strike the state's gag order motion on procedural grounds.

Nineteen media outlets, including The Baltimore Sun, also filed a motion opposing the gag order.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-gag-order-stricken-20150608-story.html

I have already used up my 3 free Baltimore Sun reads for the month so not sure if same info that Popsicle posted but here is another link for those like me that can't see it.

Less than one month before Freddie Gray's arrest in West Baltimore, the office of City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby asked police to target the area for "enhanced prosecutorial attention."

Snip

Rosenblatt writes, “State’s Attorney Mosby asked me to look into community concerns regarding drug dealing in the area of North Ave and Mount Street. My understanding is that Operation Ceasefire had targeted that general area until recently, resulting in what appears to be an overall decline in victim crimes…we’d like to build on that success by targeting that intersection for enhanced prosecutorial (and hopefully police) attention.”

http://foxbaltimore.com/m/news/feat...f-Freddie-Gray-39-s-arrest.shtml#.VXc70BDD_qA

Gag order was filed in the wrong court

Judge Charles J. Peters ruled the motion lacked standing in an actual proceeding, as it was filed by Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's office in Circuit Court on May 14. At that time, the officers' cases were still in District Court. They weren't transferred to Circuit Court until May 21, when the officers were indicted.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-gag-order-stricken-20150608-story.html

I have already used up my 3 free Baltimore Sun reads for the month so not sure if same info that Popsicle posted but here is another link for those like me that can't see it.

Less than one month before Freddie Gray's arrest in West Baltimore, the office of City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby asked police to target the area for "enhanced prosecutorial attention."

Snip

Rosenblatt writes, “State’s Attorney Mosby asked me to look into community concerns regarding drug dealing in the area of North Ave and Mount Street. My understanding is that Operation Ceasefire had targeted that general area until recently, resulting in what appears to be an overall decline in victim crimes…we’d like to build on that success by targeting that intersection for enhanced prosecutorial (and hopefully police) attention.”

http://foxbaltimore.com/m/news/feat...f-Freddie-Gray-39-s-arrest.shtml#.VXc70BDD_qA

what's interesting are the political implications. is that particular area important to Mosby as it lies within her husband's district? from the talking heads, many state initiating this type of directive shouldn't even be coming from the state attorney's office, as it should be coming from either the police chief, or the mayor. prosecutors don't stop crime, they prosecute it. (no link, so take it FWIW)

also, now it seems as if the whole issue with legality of the knife is being dropped? recent fillings seem to now focus on the "handcuffing" of FG without any mention of whether or not the knife was illegal.

Under a 2006 general order that was valid until April of this year, officers were told they could use handcuffs during "involuntary detentions" based on "reasonable suspicion" — a standard that "is more than mere suspicion, but less than probable cause."

In April, a revised policy was issued, but it did not change the department's basic stance on the use of handcuffs during such stops. According to the policy, "investigative stops" can involve the "delay or hindrance of an individual's freedom of movement" when an officer has a "reasonable, articulable suspicion" to justify it.

Such a suspicion can be based on a variety of actions, the policy says, including "furtive behavior," "evasive conduct or unprovoked flight" and "presence in a high crime area."

The defense attorneys said Gray was only detained long enough for officers to protect their safety with a weapons check and confirm their suspicions of criminal activity through the discovery of the knife.

the BBM speaks directly to the order targeting that area.

the order also IMO bolsters the defense arguments for her recusal.

"Mrs. Mosby herself is now an integral part of the story and as such is a central witness," the defense attorneys argued. "This is a case where the witness and the prosecutor are one and the same."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-mosby-email-20150609-story.html#page=2

Oh, how I would love to see her scowly face on the witness stand! Her and that "burn it down" mayor.

cnn is now reporting l/e lawyers telling mm - step aside or drop charges.

way too many oopsies for her to continue imo

Emily Miller ‏@EmilyMiller [video=twitter;608728980133453825]https://twitter.com/EmilyMiller/status/608728980133453825[/video]
This is the email from Mosby to Baltimore police ordering patrols in area where Freddie Gray was handcuffed.

This is the email from Mosby to Baltimore police ordering patrols in area where Freddie Gray was handcuffed.

"Daily measurables" -- is that a quota? Were those officers working under an arrest quota?

Emily Miller ‏@EmilyMiller [video=twitter;608728980133453825]https://twitter.com/EmilyMiller/status/608728980133453825[/video]

WOW. So the State Attorney General sends a 'request' to PD, asking for a specific area to be cleaned up of drug sales, because one of the local constituents sent her a picture of drug usage there. So the higher ups command the street patrols to 'clean up' that corner. They get sent to that area and along comes Freddie, known drug user/low level dealer, walking his bike. he sees the cops and takes off running. They follow....

And MM has the nerve to accuse the cops of having 'no reason' to stop him or to pursue him? After she specifically asked those same cops to go clean up the drug dealing? How the heck can they do so without chasing down the local dealers and junkies?

That is just so ridiculous. :no:

"Daily measurables" -- is that a quota? Were those officers working under an arrest quota?

sounds like some kind of quota to me.

Here is a great article about the email:

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83740939/

In their motion Tuesday, defense attorneys said the email exchange shows that Mosby knew the area where Gray was chased was a high-crime location. They said that bolsters their argument that officers were within their rights to detain and handcuff Gray — even before finding a knife and officially arresting him.

"It must be understood that Mrs. Mosby was directing these officers to one of the highest crime intersections in Baltimore City and asking them to make arrests, conduct surveillance, and stop crime," the defense attorneys wrote. "Now, the State is apparently making the unimaginable argument that the police officers are not allowed to use handcuffs to protect their safety and prevent flight in an investigatory detention where the suspect fled in a high crime area and actually had a weapon on him."

In the March 17 email to Maj. Osborne Robinson, Rosenblatt wrote that Mosby's office wanted to build on the success in reducing crime in the West Baltimore neighborhood through the Operation Ceasefire program by "targeting that intersection for enhanced prosecutorial (and hopefully police) attention." In that program, prosecutors, police and community groups work together to persuade criminals to reform.

On March 20, Robinson forwarded Rosenblatt's email to several Western District officers, including Lt. Brian W. Rice. He was one of the three officers who arrested Gray and one of the six later charged in Gray's arrest and death.

Also, from above link:

Robinson told Rice and the other officers to begin a "daily narcotics initiative" focused on North Avenue and Mount Street, according to the email, and said he would be collecting "daily measurables" from them on their progress.

"This is effective immediately," Robinson wrote, noting that the officers should use cameras, informants and other covert policing tactics to get the job done.

Lt. Kenneth Butler, president of the Vanguard Justice Society, a group for minority and female Baltimore police officers, said that when orders such as Robinson's come down to target a specific corner, the response is consistent. "They want increased productivity, whether it be car stops, field interviews, arrests — that's what they mean by measurables," he said.

Butler, who said he has been a shift commander on and off for the past 15 years, added, "You have to use whatever tools you have — whether it be bike officers, cameras, foot officers, whatever you have — to abate that problem. So you're going to have to be aggressive."

Sure sounds like it to me. SMH

And in other news....

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An HPD officer is recovering after being shot during a traffic stop near Midtown yesterday.

According to HPD, Officer Terry Smith, a motorcycle officer, was conducting a stop around 6pm in the 4200 block of Main Street. As he walked away, the officer heard a loud pop then felt pain. A bullet had struck the 20-year veteran in the lower back.

http://abc13.com/news/hpd-officer-shot-during-traffic-stop-near-midtown/775491/

Thankfully he wasn't seriously hurt.

Unbelievable. Wouldn't a first year LAW CLERK know how to file a motion in the court? Are we sure this young lady actually passed a Bar exam? She is in waaaaaay over her head.

Unbelievable. Wouldn't a first year LAW CLERK know how to file a motion in the court? Are we sure this young lady actually passed a Bar exam? She is in waaaaaay over her head.

Here she is, trying to defend herself in the MAJOR screw up called the Phylicia Barnes case. The murderer walked away after two trials because the State screwed up, big time. Here is MM's statement:

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby said in a written statement Tuesday: "I want to be clear that there was no prosecutorial misconduct in this case. The court agreed there was no misconduct in its prior ruling in December, and again today."

[ she was pretty defensive, imo]

Barnes' father told CBS Baltimore on Tuesday that he believes the judicial system has failed his daughter.

"They have the right person," Russell Barnes said of Johnson. "Baltimore City is letting a child killer -- in my mind -- go and go free."

Mosby screwed that case up. I don't have a lot of confidence in her skills as a prosecutor. JMO

This has now gone straight into Twilight Zone territory.

And the word 'hubris' is in all caps with flashy neon lights.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

Here she is, trying to defend herself in the MAJOR screw up called the Phylicia Barnes case. The murderer walked away after two trials because the State screwed up, big time. Here is MM's statement:

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby said in a written statement Tuesday: "I want to be clear that there was no prosecutorial misconduct in this case. The court agreed there was no misconduct in its prior ruling in December, and again today."

[ she was pretty defensive, imo]

Barnes' father told CBS Baltimore on Tuesday that he believes the judicial system has failed his daughter.

"They have the right person," Russell Barnes said of Johnson. "Baltimore City is letting a child killer -- in my mind -- go and go free."

Mosby screwed that case up. I don't have a lot of confidence in her skills as a prosecutor. JMO

she has to rely on l/e = have a good professional working relationship with them. that's exactly the comparison greta was making last week & nobody is doing squat to repair it.

so sad and a tragedy that is of her own making, along with other city officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley_erin