NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's about who caught the bad guys.

SBM-
That wouldn't be quite so stupid of them if ANYONE was actually CATCHING the bad guys. :gaah:

I know they're trying, but they need to work together and forget who the hero of the movie is gonna be!

I have been wondering the same. Why are they still searching these close, but very vast, expanses of forest. I get that they really have to...because if they didn't, and they don't rule out this area...there will be hell to pay if they are still there and not caught.

I am just so concerned for all of the LEO's involved. Their mental and physical well being is being challenged, big time!! And it is just so unlikely they are still there. They had quite a bit of time to get out.

On the other hand, no reports of car jackings or missing persons - I assume? So not sure how they would have gotten far away. They could have told JM that she was needed and included in their plan...but is there a possibility they made plans with someone else?

I believe yesterday someone on this thread mentioned there was a break-in at a house in the area. Also, there have been several unconfirmed sightings by locals -- several in one specific area last week (Ryan/Cringle Road around where it intersects with Bucks Corner Road) and then across the Saranac River over in the Hardscrabble Road area on Saturday, I think. I'm surprised the dogs didn't pick up a scent, though, if it were really them. Unless maybe the rain has been problematic (we've been having a lot over here in Rochester).

BTW, CNN is back to doing periodic live segments about this, they were interiewing a retired guard from Clinton about fifteen minutes ago. So far TWCNews seems to be having a very slow morning. Last week it seemed that they were showing pre recorded stuff over and over and over until 9am. Hopefully they take advantage of the hearing being at 830am today and get back on the air live by 7 or 7:30 to show her being brought in, etc. But it really is a very small-town news station so we'll see. www.twcnews.com - you can watch the same thing there live that I see on tv from that link, just navigate to it from there.

I cant believe some of the twists and turns. Ironic Tillie worked in a prison. Now in jail. Her Besties are not.Yet. I hope they are caught soon and without incident. Was it Sweat who had ties to my Province of Ont? Yikes!!!!

I wonder if maybe they have crossed into Canada.
)

It would be very difficult and risky for two American fugitives to hide out in Canada. Where could they go that they wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb? Border crossing could have captured it. Do they have Canadian money? Are they bilingual, or at least sound Canadian? The first time they make a right on a red light in Montreal, six thousand people will have it recorded on their cell phones. They can't be hiding in the northern forest since it's protected by black flies and mosquitos.

Frankly, I'm p-oed by the number of times I hear that they may be safely in Canada as though crossing into Canada is "home free"; as if Canadian police don't exist or are so incompetent that they walk stooped with their hands down at their knees; as if the only reason American LE can't find them is because the fugitives left the country.

Arrogance. :p

If they are in Canada, which would be taking an unnecessary risk , it will be much easier to find them than if they remain in the US.

I cant believe some of the twists and turns. Ironic Tillie worked in a prison. Now in jail. Her Besties are not.Yet. I hope they are caught soon and without incident. Was it Sweat who had ties to my Province of Ont? Yikes!!!!

Nope you drew the even shorter straw - it was Matt. Who should've been handled like the guy from the movie ConAir, IMO.

There is a 'reservation' within 60 miles of the prison and IF the two could have made it to that area wouldn't LE have difficulty accessing that area??

That'd be like two strangers showing up to a family reunion. Someone would notice. And yes, the rez has police services.

It would be very difficult and risky for two American fugitives to hide out in Canada. Where could they go that they wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb? Border crossing could have captured it. Do they have Canadian money? Are they bilingual, or at least sound Canadian? The first time they make a right on a red light in Montreal, six thousand people will have it recorded on their cell phones. They can't be hiding in the northern forest since it's protected by black flies and mosquitos.

Frankly, I'm p-oed by the number of times I hear that they may be safely in Canada as though crossing into Canada is "home free"; as if Canadian police don't exist or are so incompetent that they walk stooped with their hands down at their knees; as if the only reason American LE can't find them is because the fugitives left the country.

Arrogance. :p

If they are in Canada, which would be taking an unnecessary risk , it will be much easier to find them than if they remain in the US.

It's not that if they get to Canada we think they won't be caught. It's that they'll have to be extradited and all that political junk. I'm sure they would only cross over there for that added buffer, not because they'd think they'd live there forever without being caught. JMO they'd have crossed over so early on that they'd have had time to fly/sail/whatever out of there before anyone even looked for them. It'd just be a means to an end, going to Canada, IMO, not an end location.

That being said, I don't think that's where they've gone either. That won't serve their purpose at all. How can you get revenge and go out in a blaze of glory hiding among such fine folks? They'll go to Mexico or back to one of their towns where they feel they have unfinished business to tend to, or hang out there until stuff dies down. IMO we should be thinking about domestic terrorism at this point, or at least be very aware of the possibility that they're planning on continuing their movie-script-style escape. Honestly, knowing that all of NY state's law enforcement is largely concentrated in one place, if I was them I'd consider a different location in NY the ideal place to commit crimes right now. Skeleton crew LE is convenient I'd think. I know everyone wants to think about Shawshank and as such they want to conclude these guys are quietly slipping off to a beach someplace, but that doesn't align with their pasts unfortunately. Just thinking out loud, this is all JMO, and FWIW.

I change my opinion of Tillie. I think she is evil. Yet singing like a canary without a Lawyer? Most interesting that Tillie.

It's not that if they get to Canada we think they won't be caught. It's that they'll have to be extradited and all that political junk. I'm sure they would only cross over there for that added buffer, not because they'd think they'd live there forever without being caught. JMO they'd have crossed over so early on that they'd have had time to fly/sail/whatever out of there before anyone even looked for them. It'd just be a means to an end, going to Canada, IMO, not an end location.

That being said, I don't think that's where they've gone either. That won't serve their purpose at all. How can you get revenge and go out in a blaze of glory hiding among such fine folks? They'll go to Mexico or back to one of their towns where they feel they have unfinished business to tend to, or hang out there until stuff dies down. IMO we should be thinking about domestic terrorism at this point, or at least be very aware of the possibility that they're planning on continuing their movie-script-style escape. Honestly, knowing that all of NY state's law enforcement is largely concentrated in one place, if I was them I'd consider a different location in NY the ideal place to commit crimes right now. Skeleton crew LE is convenient I'd think. I know everyone wants to think about Shawshank and as such they want to conclude these guys are quietly slipping off to a beach someplace, but that doesn't align with their pasts unfortunately. Just thinking out loud, this is all JMO, and FWIW.

Matt headed to Mexico the last time he escaped from prison. On the one hand, he made it there successfully, from New York, so we know he's familiar with the area and how to get there. On the other hand, he killed a fellow American down there and ended up in Mexican prison for 9 years, which was not a happy experience for him.

Matt grew up just a few miles from the Canadian border (Buffalo area) and did have a girlfriend there at one time. However, she ratted him out. He may have other contacts there, though.

Not sure what these guys end plan is. I don't know that they're necessarily bent on revenge. Both of them have spent about 80 or 90% of their adult lives in prison, so they may not be able to last very long on the outside without getting in trouble again.

I'm so puzzled as to why she offered up information (at all) but especially the talk of going back to her house, and killing Lyle. If she hadn't said that herself, the idea of killing Lyle may not have ever been on the radar!!!! Makes me wonder how much is real and how much of what she says is fantasy. And if she ever hoped for Lyle's support in this ordeal, she sure won't be getting it now, unless Lyle is as nutty as she is. JMO

also keeping in mind that he broke out of that Mexican prison too, it was his third breakout but only one where he was actually caught in the act. Which is why the extradited him without warning, surprising us upon his arrival. None of which has as much to do with anything, JMO only of course, as the fact that LE has said he has contacts on either side of the border down there and they are contacts who are known to help illegal immigrants cross the border. That's awfully convenient IMO. Yes, even though LE know about them..

Well wherever they are they are for sure laying low. Really low.

I change my opinion of Tillie. I think she is evil. Yet singing like a canary without a Lawyer? Most interesting that Tillie.

You know Bravo I have wondered about her as well. I think she may have been ?'d about the breakout. If she went to the hospital when she was suppose to be picking them up at the same time could have set off alarms. The way it was written she was going in and talking day after day, she kept going back, talking. I have a feeling they hammered her about the panic attack, she didn't have one when she bought the blades, she didn't have one when she was fooling around w/matt. She had the panic attack when she thought about the killing of her husband. She probably also knows that when they do get caught (if they do) that they will tell on her like a big dog. So I guess my ? is did she help them escape to kill lyle or to escape and kill lyle and they will think he helped. jmo idk

I agree. It is not because anyone thinks that Canada is a safe haven for criminals, it is because the best chance they have is for them to get out of the country and get to where less people may be aware of their history. Plus legally they may believe that it helps them to be outside of the US.

If we are to believe the sightings south of the prison then it does not appear that they are heading to Canada, but if the sightings are wrong then they could have gone up through the reservation a week ago and already be over the border. It is not simple, but it is possible to get through the res without being caught.

I am personally not sure what I think anymore. I hope that the sightings are credible and that they are still surrounded up north.

I haven't wanted to post this because no point giving anyone ideas but when I was a young girl my family would go up to the Adirondacks to a particular little town that has eight - yes 8 - year round residents and which is inaccessible a large part of the year, you can only get there via boat or going over the ice, they only had one phone when we would go there, at the general store/inn/bar/restaurant (yes it's all one), there is no police department, no schools, no nothing. It's just a handful of people most of the time.

I hope upon hope they didn't manage to get there because nobody would ever find them I don't think, unless they were so terrible at being outdoors that they gave themselves up. Pretty much every cabin up there is seasonal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_River,_New_York

"Beaver River is a hamlet that is six tenths of a mile square, at the east end of Stillwater Reservoir, in the town of Webb in Herkimer County, New York. The hamlet is surrounded by the Adirondack Park. The hamlet has a year-round population of eight, that increases during the summer as many people have camps in this wilderness area. There are 125 private properties, and three commercial businesses. No roads lead to the hamlet; it is accessible only by hiking, rail car or boat in the summer and by snowmobile, snowshoes or cross country skis in the winter. There is no electrical service. The town is named for the Beaver River. The New York Central Railroad right of way, on the National Register of Historic Places passes through the hamlet; an existing bunkhouse is a part of the historic property."

ETA oh gosh we always went by boat, we'd have to be on the water like 45 minutes before we even reached there. But apparently there's train service!! ugh!!!

I haven't wanted to post this because no point giving anyone ideas but when I was a young girl my family would go up to the Adirondacks to a particular little town that has eight - yes 8 - year round residents and which is inaccessible a large part of the year, you can only get there via boat or going over the ice, they only had one phone when we would go there, at the general store/inn/bar/restaurant (yes it's all one), there is no police department, no schools, no nothing. It's just a handful of people most of the time.

I hope upon hope they didn't manage to get there because nobody would ever find them I don't think, unless they were so terrible at being outdoors that they gave themselves up. Pretty much every cabin up there is seasonal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_River,_New_York

"Beaver River is a hamlet that is six tenths of a mile square, at the east end of Stillwater Reservoir, in the town of Webb in Herkimer County, New York. The hamlet is surrounded by the Adirondack Park. The hamlet has a year-round population of eight, that increases during the summer as many people have camps in this wilderness area. There are 125 private properties, and three commercial businesses. No roads lead to the hamlet; it is accessible only by hiking, rail car or boat in the summer and by snowmobile, snowshoes or cross country skis in the winter. There is no electrical service. The town is named for the Beaver River. The New York Central Railroad right of way, on the National Register of Historic Places passes through the hamlet; an existing bunkhouse is a part of the historic property."

ETA oh gosh we always went by boat, we'd have to be on the water like 45 minutes before we even reached there. But apparently there's train service!! ugh!!!

I hope that they are nowhere near there because I have to work in that area this week. Not in Beaver River, but that general area of Webb.

Wasting precious time stopping in to murder Lyle for no apparent reason would only handicap their smooth escape. I don't believe that was their plan. I think that was perhaps what she was led to believe to be the plan.....she thinks that she is crucial to this escape and doesn't realize she's just a pawn. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288