NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure wish they would capture these two, the longer this goes on the slimmer the chances, IMO.

okay here's the info about the grate - on the graphic partway down this page, you have to read the small text at the bottom that describes the breakout -
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/felons-escaped-n-y-prison-cuomo-article-1.2250257

article-prison-0609.jpg

16 June 2015
UPDATE: Search for prison escapees to expand PRESS RELEASE

The New York State Police today announced today that the search for escaped inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat is expanding and shifting to other areas surrounding Dannemora. Personnel will be redeployed to other areas based upon information gathered during the investigation. People in the region should expect to see law enforcement in their community as the search expands.

State Troopers, along with Officers and Forest Rangers from the Department of Environmental Conservation, the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, the FBI, U.S. Marshals, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Clinton, Franklin and Essex County Sheriff Departments and the Plattsburgh Police Department have searched over 16 square miles (10,228 acres) to date. All available assets continue to be deployed around the clock, including K9 and aviation units. More than 1,200 leads have been developed at this point in the investigation.

In connection with this redeployment, patrolling of Route 374 east of Dannemora will change. The section of Route 374 that was closed to traffic in Cadyville will reopen tonight. The road closed last Wednesday after New York State Police K9 units picked up the scent of both suspects at different locations in a heavily wooded area adjacent to the road. This area has been extensively searched, and evidence recovered suggests that the escaped inmates may have spent time there. The ground search of this immediate area will be scaled back but patrols will continue. Law enforcement personnel previously manning the roadblocks along the closed section of Route 374 will be shifted to other sectors.

The agencies involved in the search want thank the entire community for their patience and ongoing support. The State Police also want to thank all of our state, federal and local law enforcement partners, who continue to provide much needed manpower, equipment and expertise for this effort.

The public should not hesitate to report any suspicious activity including any signs of a trespass, burglary or vehicle larceny. Contact 911, your local law enforcement agency, or the New York State Police to report any information related to this investigation at (518) 563-3761 or 1-800-GIVETIP. Tips can also be sent by email to crimetip@troopers.ny.gov.

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/06/ny_prison_escape_joyce_mitchell_plan_b_canada.html

Alex Dunbar retweeted
Michael Benny ‏@MichaelBenny 12m12 minutes ago

#PrisonBreakNY latest: search to expand to new areas around Dannemora, 16 sq miles searched so far, 1,200+ leads, still no capture

SEE ABOVE PRESS RELEASE I POSTED - queenie

And here's a link to support the info I stated about the catwalks and the inmates complaining (which I read in a link someone else posted earlier) -

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...ould-have-helped-2-escape-20150616-story.html

"One of the major changes that appears to have aided inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat in their escape was eliminating catwalk checks behind inmate cells at night, Dumas said.

A catwalk runs along the corridor behind the cells where Matt and Sweat were bunked, giving officers access to the backs of each cell."

<snip>

Officers would go out onto the catwalk and cut the power to an inmate's cell if he continually refused orders to keep it quiet. Or they could cut power to all cells on that row.

“But the inmates complained about having their power cut off, and the administration (State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision) agreed with them and took the keys to the catwalk away,” Dumas said."

EXCLUSIVE: 'She would have been killed within a week.' Clinton County Sheriff says the 'Shawshank' escapees planned on MURDERING their 'lover' Joyce Mitchell, who is now on suicide watch in prison

By Shekhar Bhatia In Plattsburgh, New York For Dailymail.com

It has also been revealed that the convicts may have worked out in the prison gym to reduce their body size

<snip>

On-the-run killers David Sweat and Richard Matt would have murdered prison employee Joyce Mitchell within a week of their escape, a top law enforcement official believes.

Clinton County Sheriff David Favro, speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com, said: 'Her life was in danger absolutely.

'These two inmates would have asked, "Would she phone her husband, would she phone her son?" They would probably have killed her within a week.

'They abused her both physically and emotionally and used her. They had got what they had set out for from her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chell-SUICIDE-watch-prison.html#ixzz3dGJWBOzt

No apples, just the messenger :)

also from that mcall link I just posted above:

"Dumas said tools belonging to contractors are left inside the facility in a “gang box” that is placed on the catwalk.

Matt and Sweat would have had access to that if they could get out of their cells at night.

That would have allowed the inmates to use power tools to make their cuts at night and put them back before morning so they would not be missed.

“Admin figured they were safe because they were in the catwalk that was locked,” Dumas said.

“But they could have easily had access to them at night.”

The New York State Police today announced today that the search for escaped inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat is expanding

Yeah, to like the planet Earth!:yeahthat:

That was a great graphic about the prison break and how it was accomplished. A couple of comments:

1) I could NEVER crawl through a 24-inch pipe for an entire block, even if it meant permanent freedom. I'd have a panic attack from claustrophobia.

2) I'm now even more convinced these two had outside assistance. They seemed to be prepared for everything. How would they have known the manhole covers were chained and locked? Did they find that out during their late night surveillance? Or did they get info from someone outside, with intimate knowledge of the sewer system? Maybe I'm naive but I never thought that manhole covers were chained and locked.

ummmm.. last thing I'm gonna post from that link. But SERIOUSLY? it goes on to mention some bad things happen already because of this policy:

"Dumas also confirmed what the Press-Republican reported last week - that inmates are allowed to paint their own cells, which gives them an opportunity to cover up transgressions."

<snip>

Clinton County District Attorney Andrew Wylie told the Associated Press that Mitchell was "Plan A" and without a backup plan...

<snip>

However, Clinton County Sheriff David Favro told CNN that Mitchell's getaway car was actually "Plan B." He suspected their elaborate plan had a more "fool-proof" strategy than relying on the woman who worked in the prison's tailoring shop

"I honestly don't think she was 'Plan A,'" Favro said Tuesday, according to Reuters. "I think she was 'Plan B.'"

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/06/ny_prison_escape_joyce_mitchell_plan_b_canada.html

EXCLUSIVE: 'She would have been killed within a week.' Clinton County Sheriff says the 'Shawshank' escapees planned on MURDERING their 'lover' Joyce Mitchell, who is now on suicide watch in prison

By Shekhar Bhatia In Plattsburgh, New York For Dailymail.com

It has also been revealed that the convicts may have worked out in the prison gym to reduce their body size

<snip>

On-the-run killers David Sweat and Richard Matt would have murdered prison employee Joyce Mitchell within a week of their escape, a top law enforcement official believes.

Clinton County Sheriff David Favro, speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com, said: 'Her life was in danger absolutely.

'These two inmates would have asked, "Would she phone her husband, would she phone her son?" They would probably have killed her within a week.

'They abused her both physically and emotionally and used her. They had got what they had set out for from her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chell-SUICIDE-watch-prison.html#ixzz3dGJWBOzt

No apples, just the messenger :)

Also from your link
(snip)

Police have also not been able to rule out the possibility that the escapees used the internet to research the layout of the 170-year-old prison's underground piping system and that they had maps and drawings.
---
There's much more on this. Thank you for posting this must-read article epiphany!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<snip>

Clinton County District Attorney Andrew Wylie told the Associated Press that Mitchell was "Plan A" and without a backup plan...

<snip>

However, Clinton County Sheriff David Favro told CNN that Mitchell's getaway car was actually "Plan B." He suspected their elaborate plan had a more "fool-proof" strategy than relying on the woman who worked in the prison's tailoring shop

"I honestly don't think she was 'Plan A,'" Favro said Tuesday, according to Reuters. "I think she was 'Plan B.'"

i think the sheriff has it figured out ;)

From link in Queenie's post:

NBC News has learned that after the visit, Lyle Mitchell went to the office of Stephen Johnston, Joyce Mitchell’s attorney.

Lyle Mitchell is “very supportive,” and if asked, he would testify on his wife’s behalf, Johnston told NBC News.

He said Lyle Mitchell was “not distraught like his wife.”

http://www.wptz.com/news/husband-vi...ail-amid-reports-of-plan-to-kill-him/33606908

Wow.....Johnston sure is a blabber mouth. I don't believe him,.......... SPIN. I heard and read Tillie is calm.

Jeremy Mathsen retweeted
Jarred Hill &#8207;@JarredWPTZ 8m8 minutes ago

NY DOC expects to lift lockdown on #ClintonCorrectional by end of the week. #PrisonBreakNY

I think that lyle was asked to go in and meet with tellie. I think they are lost in where these two could be. Remember she was involved with at least one of them a year ago and they have been working together since, I am sure their relationship that they had was just kept more low key. I think that what she has said is a lie and LE is looking for more info and they have asked lyle to step forward and see what he can get from her, maybe.

i think the sheriff has it figured out ;)

Interestingly, that's essentially the same description Former U.S. Marshall's Commander Lenny DePaul used to describe it on @AirTalk (see my post #443) earlier today (a local @NPR affiliate in SoCal)

(JM was Plan B)...
:thinking:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads