NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
7C8LHE1.jpg

RICHARD MATT and DAVID SWEAT

Search underway for two murderers missing from state prison in Dannemora
PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015 AT 9:43 AM - UPDATED: SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015 AT 11:18 AM
Daily Courier-Observer

DANNEMORA - A search is underway for two prisoners, both serving sentences for murder convictions, that were discovered missing early Saturday morning from Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora.

New York State Police said they received a call at 5:45 a.m. Saturday from corrections’ officials reporting two prisoners were unaccounted for during a 5:30 a.m. bed check. State police are now currently searching for the two escaped prisoners.

They are:
Richard Matt, 48, a white male, 6’ tall, 210 pounds, with black hair and hazel eyes. He has tattoos on back “Mexico Forever”, a heart on his chest and left shoulder, and a marine corps insignia on his right shoulder.

David Sweat, 34, white male, 5’11” tall, 165 pounds, brown hair and green eyes. He has tattoos on his left bicep and his right fingers
NY Gov.: 2 Convicted Murderers Used Power Tools to Escape
DANNEMORA, N.Y. — Jun 6, 2015, 4:50 PM ET
ABC News/AP

Two convicted murderers used power tools to cut through steel pipes at a maximum-security prison near the Canadian border and escape through a manhole, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday.

"It was an elaborate plot," Cuomo said after joining law enforcement authorities to retrace the prisoners' escape route from the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, N.Y.

[...]
"A search revealed that here was a hole cut out of the back of the cell through which these inmates escaped," Annucci said. "They went onto a catwalk which is about 6 stories high. We estimate they climbed down and had power tools and were able to get out to this facility through tunnels, cutting away at several spots."

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4

Massive Search For Escaped Inmates
Two escaped from Clinton Correctional Facility
UPDATED 6:26 PM EDT Jun 06, 2015

DANNEMORA, N.Y. —New York State Police say they are searching for two inmates described as "dangerous" who escaped overnight from Clinton Correctional Facility.

[...]
The Governor calls the escape "extraordinary" and says it's the first time anyone has escaped from the maximum security portion of the facility since it opened in 1865.

[...]
State police have set up numerous roadblocks in the greater Dannemora area as they search for the escapees. WPTZ's Vanessa Misciagna reports armed troopers are searching every vehicle on Route 374 at a police checkpoint, and dozens of troopers and corrections officers are searching the woods off Smith Street.

Anyone who sees people resembling the prisoners or with any information should call State Police at 563-3761.

ETA: You can watch the news conference at this link.

http://www.wptz.com/news/governor-holds-news-conference-on-prison-escape/33438874

I noticed some stuff that didn't make sense regarding the path the guys would've made to get from Dannemora to Lindley to Friendship so I will go ahead and re-post this map that shows the likely path, which of course presumes they're riding the rails on freight trains as often as possible:

CH-41JpVAAElt4n.jpg:large

There is no doubling back IMO AFAIK.

Escaped prisoners wanted to kill accused accomplice's husband
Tue June 23, 2015

(CNN)The man whose wife is accused of helping two killers escape a prison in upstate New York says the men planned to kill him.

Lyle Mitchell told NBC's "Today" show that his wife, Joyce Mitchell, revealed the prisoners' alleged plan to harm him shortly after their escape. Escapee Richard Matt originally told Joyce he would give her pills that would knock her husband out, so she would have no problem leaving their home to come meet him.

~~~

DNA in cabin

Meanwhile, authorities are combing an area west of the prison after DNA from Sweat and Matt was found inside a burglarized cabin, a law enforcement source told CNN.

Another law enforcement source briefed on the investigation told CNN's Deborah Feyerick that a number of personal items, including a pair of boots, were discovered Saturday inside the cabin in Mountain View, New York, some 30 miles west of the Clinton Correctional Facility. The items left behind, and the manner in which they were left, suggest the pair were surprised and left in a hurry, according to the source.

Much more at link^^^

Press-Republican
‏@pressrepublican

Margaret Street closed from Court Street to Broad Street in Plattsburgh; no public risk, police said, but won't give details yet.

FYI this is NEAR the hospital but not surrounding it.
Just in case they were transporting people I wanted to see if it made sense.
However you would think they would block ALL access to the hospital if that's what it was. :twocents:

This looks like it's a business area. Restaurants and things like that.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cou...bf3b141825!2m2!1d-73.4516491!2d44.7090906!3e2

Adam Silverman ‏@Wej12 8m8 minutes ago

Adam Silverman retweeted Press-Republican

WPTZ reports this is a meth lab, unrelated to #PrisonBreakNY search.

IMO, "Source" not too pleased with Lyle's interview this morning

I am really so confused! I thought she was a civilian employed there...as a seamstress (supervisor or whatever).

How in the $#$% is she capable of making those kinds of requests, and having them carried out? Or have the ability to get hamburger meat in??

I am gonna need some answers. For real, for real!!!

I don't know the questions, but the answer to them all is: Tillie did it.

Lois Clermont ‏@EditorLois 1m1 minute ago

Part of Margaret St, Plattsburgh, closed for investigation of possible meth lab. See, there is other news besides escapees. #PrisonBreakNY

Trust me, it is not. No one "requests" to be transferred to Clinton. It is one of those places guards threaten to have you transferred to. I've heard the phrase "pack your ski boots" on numerous occasions, and no prisoner responded kindly. Probably considered the top 3 worst max general population facilities in the state, alongside Comstock (Great Meadow) and Attica.

Well, possibly since they have had no escapes there in 15 years caused them to let their guard down, literally. JMO, there's no way killers should be allowed on the honor block.

Well, possibly since they have had no escapes there in 15 years caused them to let their guard down, literally. JMO, there's no way killers should be allowed on the honor block.

They've had no escapes from there ever. Period. And if killers can't be in honor block, who then? Clinton is mostly convicts who have killed, raped, or committed violent felonies. Honor block is a correction tool for long term inmates. It's not any easier to get out of honor block than any other prison. This may have been the escape of the century.

Joyce Mitchell, who has been charged with providing escape tools to the fugitives, outlined the scheme in interviews with investigators, Wylie said.

After smuggling the meat and metal mixture into the prison, Mitchell put it in a refrigerator in the tailor shop where she worked with Matt and Sweat, Wylie said.

[...]

A corrections officer named Gene Palmer then allegedly took the meat to Matt, the prosecutor said.

[...]

He denied to investigators that he knew he was delivering tools to Matt and Sweat, Wylie said. He took a polygraph and passed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ne...ape-tools-killers-raw-meat-prosecutor-n380461

CNN showed a quick look and later more but my gawd the terrain is unforgiving

Guys. I just had to read SO MANY PAGES. LOL.

So we didn't get any new news all day huh? Well maybe soon.

They've had no escapes from there ever. Period. And if killers can't be in honor block, who then? Clinton is mostly convicts who have killed, raped, or committed violent felonies. Honor block is a correction tool for long term inmates. It's not any easier to get out of honor block than any other prison. This may have been the escape of the century.

I thought way back when this thread first started that there were reports that there had only been 1 escape from Clinton ever, that it happened 15 years ago, & the prisoner was captured in 3 days.

JMO only, but if there are only violent felony prisoners at Clinton, there shouldn't be any such thing as an honor block. Again JMO, violent offenders do not need correction, they need punishment. I don't think there is any such thing as rehabilitation for a hardened criminal; they're too far immersed in a criminal way of life.

CNN just said that for a couple of months Tilly brought baked goods to guards in exchange for special treatment for Sweat and Matt, she even went to prison officials and asked for Sweat's cell to be moved next to Matt's.

For some reason the phrase just came to mind "who's you know what do you have to you know what to get favors around here?"... like, was she you know whatting or something?? WHY did everyone do stuff for Tilly??

What's the approx length of the hacksaw blade? How many pounds of meat are we talking about here?

I don't think those details have been reported yet, but this gives a whole new meaning to the term "mystery meat."

I don't think those details have been reported yet, but this gives a whole new meaning to the term "mystery meat."

LOL MEAT just keeps coming up doesn't it. I grilled burgers tonight. Delish. Seemed fitting.

CNN just said that for a couple of months Tilly brought baked goods to guards in exchange for special treatment for Sweat and Matt, she even went to prison officials and asked for Sweat's cell to be moved next to Matt's.

For some reason the phrase just came to mind "who's you know what do you have to you know what to get favors around here?"... like, was she you know whatting or something?? WHY did everyone do stuff for Tilly??

I just heard that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member