NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palmer's new attorney.

William J. Dreyer has been practicing law for 40 years. His primary areas of practice are criminal and civil litigation. He is admitted to practice before all New York State courts; the United States District Court for the Northern, Southern and Eastern District of New York; the District of Vermont; the District of Connecticut; the United States Court of Military Appeals; the United States Tax Court; the Second Circuit Court of Appeals; and the United States Supreme Court.

Mr. Dreyer is a graduate of Bowdoin College (1966) and New York Law School (1969). After graduation from law school, Mr. Dreyer served as a Captain, JAGC, in the United States Army and in 1974 became an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of New York and served as Chief Assistant from 1976 to 1980. He has been in private practice since 1980. Mr. Dreyer is widely considered by his peers as an authority in the area of federal practice and trials. He is listed in the first and all subsequent editions of The Best Lawyers in America and has received the highest possible peer review rating in the legal ability and ethical standards from Martindale Hubbell.

More at link.
http://www.dreyerboyajian.com/Attorney-Profiles/William-J-Dreyer.shtml

So Palmer has an ailing wife AND a live-in girlfriend? Is anyone who works at this prison monogamous? Where's the wife living?

We don't know the circumstances. My husbands Dad (super catholic) actually divorced his mother as she was in a nursing home and he couldn't afford to pay for that and still support 4 minor children...sad story. Probably not even close to GP and ailing wife issues, because of their ages, but it is possible that there is a financial hardship involved. Just sayin'. JMO Also, the bumbling lawyer may have said "wife" instead of ex-wife. JMO

DA

They thought Palmer would continue to speak to them, but he stopped speaking to LE, so moved to charge, arrest, quickly at that point.

Palmer did not disclose the pliers and other things until he got caught in his lies!! He lied first

One male Reporter really trying very very hard, desperate to spin that Palmer was duped! (Thank God for the likes of AC who actually may have been the first reporter/media to even Question Palmer's "story.") Joyce knew what she did, but Palmer, he was duped...tried several times to get DA to say Palmer was unaware of escape plan, he was duped, but Joyce knew exactly what she was doing.

^^All paraphrased
I fell for it too. Glad I don't work at the prison!

Unless you have lived in that general area, which I did for over 16 years, one cannot understand the way the cold numbs the body and the soul. Winter can come down in September and not leave till June. Below zero is not uncommon. nor is -20/-30. This is a world of people related from the "early" days, and some of the horrors that go with it. It is a world unto itself with it's own secrets and friendships. I could say a lot more, but there is no point. You just can't understand until you've lived there.

My opinion only

Well, it's not QUITE as cold over here on the shores of Lake Ontario, but we DID spend the entire month of February below zero (except for 6 hours when it warmed up to...like 5 above). But honestly, I don't know how the folks who live year-round up there do it!! Whenever I start feeling grumpy about our weather, I just look up the weather in Watertown, and instantly feel better.

I often think of the temps with these escape prisoners. If they're not caught in the next month or so, it will start getting cold, and then, REALLY cold.

"New York Prison Escape Stirs Painful Memories for Victim’s Father

Phillip Tarsia is still haunted by the death of his son, Deputy Sheriff Kevin Tarsia, at the hands of David Sweat, one of two convicted murderers who fled into a rural expanse of northern New York after staging an elaborate escape from a prison that was discovered on Saturday.

<snip>

The loss of his son has turned Independence Day into a somber occasion, Mr. Tarsia said, when his family gathers to reflect on the young man&#8217;s life.

&#8220;We celebrate Kevin at the park [where he was killed] on the Fourth,&#8221; he said. &#8220;We go there every year.&#8221;

<snip>

Mr. Sweat and his companions had just burglarized a fireworks store in Pennsylvania when Deputy Tarsia confronted them.

Deputy Tarsia was shot 22 times in the confrontation.

The men left his body lying in a parking lot, where it remained overnight. It was discovered at daybreak, Mr. Tarsia said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/n...tirs-painful-memories-for-victims-father.html

palmers wife has CP. He's been living with his girlfriend for 10 yrs but visits wife every day

Oh, GGE, this is so sad. The victims and families of these two monsters.

The men left his body lying in a parking lot, where it remained overnight. It was discovered at daybreak, Mr. Tarsia said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/ny...ms-father.html

I'm giving away my age a tiny bit when I say this, but one of the things that makes me the saddest about this particular crime is that Deputy Kevin Tarsia was only 36 years old when he was murdered by Sweat and his cousin.

----

ETA:

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/binghamt...-family-wants-murderers-back-behind-bars.html

The Tarsias believe Sweat deserves the death sentence for what he did.

"They just didn't kill him. They ran him over, they shot his nose off, they shot him in the hand, they shot him all over the place -- 15 shots," said Kevin's brother Daniel.

And now with Sweat on the loose, "I try not to think about it. I just hope he's not after me," Daniel added.

They're scared, angry, and most of all, just hoping authorities find Kevin's killer so their family can finally have closure.

---

"According to court records reported by the Press & Sun-Bulletin, Sweat, of Kirkwood, shot Tarsia and drove over him with a car, while Nabinger shot him twice in the face."

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/...-deputys-killer-large-prison-escape/28601069/

---------

sorry but sometimes I have to remind myself of the victims here. It seems like a victimless crime because they'er just escaped and haven't hurt anyone yet, but ... they HAVE. They HAVE hurt people.

I just had to remind myself.

It's hard to forget what a sick person Matt is but Sweat looks so quiet and harmless.. far from it.

"Official: Prison Guard may have been sleeping during escape" - reported by CNN

Edit: [video=twitter;614207067755122688]https://twitter.com/OutFrontCNN/status/614207067755122688[/video]

Re bail. The judge sets bail and then you go get a bailbond from a bail bond person. Generally about 10% of the bail amount. About $2500 for Palmer

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/getting-out-of-jail-after-you-have-been-arrested.html

Yeah except he didn't GET a bond. He paid the $25000 cash bail. If he'd done the bond it'd have been a percentage of the $50K.

"Palmer, who also gave Matt art supplies from a craft store, was released from jail early Thursday after charging $25,000 bail on his credit card "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lades-frozen-meat-allowed-access-catwalk.html

---

"Palmer was ordered held on $25,000 cash bail, which he posted early Thursday morning using his credit card and was released at 12.27am, reported NBC News."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lades-frozen-meat-allowed-access-catwalk.html

---------
Not everyone gets a bail bondsman. You don't get your percentage back later if you do. If you put up cash bail you get your money back later as long as you appear faithfully at court. He posted bail, and it will be refunded to his credit card later if he keeps appearing, unless the judge finds him guilty and there are cash fines involved which will be taken from the bail amount first.

Well, it's not QUITE as cold over here on the shores of Lake Ontario, but we DID spend the entire month of February below zero (except for 6 hours when it warmed up to...like 5 above). But honestly, I don't know how the folks who live year-round up there do it!! Whenever I start feeling grumpy about our weather, I just look up the weather in Watertown, and instantly feel better. I often think of the temps with these escape prisoners. If they're not caught in the next month or so, it will start getting cold, and then, REALLY cold.

Watertown is downright balmy compared to the Adirondack area, for real. Once, it was so cold for so long my propane jelled and I couldn't cook. I have a relative who lives across the lake from you on Goose Bay. It does seem to be a bit warmer in that area.

I spent the June 6 weekend in Watertown, little knowing those guys broke out. That was probably for the best, LOL.

We don't know the circumstances. My husbands Dad (super catholic) actually divorced his mother as she was in a nursing home and he couldn't afford to pay for that and still support 4 minor children...sad story. Probably not even close to GP and ailing wife issues, because of their ages, but it is possible that there is a financial hardship involved. Just sayin'. JMO Also, the bumbling lawyer may have said "wife" instead of ex-wife. JMO

Yes, I have heard of couples, where one is in a nursing home, and they have to divorce; otherwise all their assets are gone to pay for the nursing home. You can keep the house and one car, but all savings, etc. must be used to pay for the nursing home, before Medicaid will kick in. And income must be below poverty line, which Palmer's wouldn't be. In his case, IF his wife was in a nursing home, he'd have to pay to the nursing home any salary ABOVE the poverty line, and when he spends down to poverty line level, then Medicaid kicks in.

Why are they so sure they are still in the woods?

They have no evidence indicating that the two have left the area. All they know is that they were at the camp at some point. How they know that the DNA was "fresh" they have not divulged. No car jackings, no known break-ins, no missing persons reports. And they can't confirm the "sighting of someone running out of the cabin, because THEY didn't see it for themselves. JMO

"Palmer was released at 12:30 a.m. on Thursday after using a credit card to post his $25,000 bail, the Associated Press reports. He has yet to enter a plea.

On Wednesday, Mitchell learned that her co-worker had been arrested.

"She questioned me as to why her bail is so high as compared with the $25,000 cash and $50,000 bond set in his case and we discussed that," says Johnston. "

http://www.people.com/article/accused-accomplice-joyce-mitchell-relying-faith-ordeal

I would've liked to have heard that conversation. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members