Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

Nothing new on this subject? Did I miss the Apocalypse?

Well... the woman in Oregon- Sweet Cakes by Melissa, who refused to bake or even sell a wedding cake to a Lesbian couple for their reception was ordered to pay $135,000 in fees for discrimination against them...

What about congregations and churches that would like to marry gay couples? Shouldn't they be allowed to practise their religious freedom? Why should a few denominations of religion make the rules for everyone else? Anyway, haven't churches been refusing to marry heterosexual couples 'living in sin' for thousands of years? Religious arguments against same-sex marriage are so complicated and illogical. Live and let live. It's pretty simple.
Proud to say my heterosexual rabbi and his wife were marching in the gay pride parade in S.F.!

I have always believed that gay people should have the same rights as straight people.Seriously,the only difference is in their choice of a sexual partner,and whose business is that,but their own?As long as it is consenting adults,it's nobody's business.

Years ago,I watched a documentary,chronicling the day to day life of a long time lesbian couple.One was a pastor,and I believe the other one may have been a teacher.Their life together was no different from any straight couple's life.They worked,went to events together,grocery shopped,just a normal life together.

Why should they not be legally considered a couple,and be entitled to the same legal rights that straight married couples are.

Of course,they can now,as gay marriage was legalized here quite a few years ago.And for the most part,I think most Canadians are quite fine with it.The sky hasn't fallen.

I am truly happy for the US.Actually quite surprised that it was such a close 5-4 decision.
BBM. That's because Scalia, Roberts, and Thomas are right-wing extremist idiots IMO, and Thomas should never have made it onto to the Supreme Court since he was a sexual harasser and used race to get onto it, crying it would be a "high-tech" lying if he wasn't!!!GGRRRR

It doesn't seem that long ago when gay couples were coming here to Canada to get married! I remember my Mom saying "how wonderful - people need to remember that love is simply love." My Mom passed away last year but the love she instilled in me flows in all directions - as it should!

BBM. That's because Scalia, Roberts, and Thomas are right-wing extremist idiots IMO, and Thomas should never have made it onto to the Supreme Court since he was a sexual harasser and used race to get onto it, crying it would be a "high-tech" lying if he wasn't!!!GGRRRR

Linas means "high tech" lynching.

But speaking of perjury, Thomas was guilty of that, too. Even if you believe him (which I don't) about the Anita Hill sexual harassment, he was clearly lying under oath when he swore he had no opinion on Roe v. Wade.

Linas means "high tech" lynching.

But speaking of perjury, Thomas was guilty of that, too. Even if you believe him (which I don't) about the Anita Hill sexual harassment, he was clearly lying under oath when he swore he had no opinion on Roe v. Wade.
Thanks Nova! That was a typo I didn't catch...

Thanks Nova! That was a typo I didn't catch...

I wouldn't catch the word "lying" in a post on Thomas either. It would look absolutely correct!

I'm guessing that you mean that this thread shouldn't be US-specific. It was once international, then KateB changed it to a US thread, but being circumspect she asked us if we thought that it should be a US or international thread, and apparently she changed it back to an international thread, for which I am thankful.

Indeed. I feel a little personal about it, of course, since I started it many moons ago and I am not without the suffering that Ego brings! One day, I would like it to end with a post that says "EVERYWHERE ON EARTH."

Of course, maybe it shouldn't even end there because if history teaches us nothing, it teaches us that that will be the start of our transformation! ;-)

BTW, my husband and I are not churchgoers and we were happy to marry in our backyard with family, friends and a "minister" ordained over the internet.

I suppose we could get remarried or have our marriage blessed in a church if we wanted to do so (I doubt that will happen), but there are plenty of churches here that do such ceremonies. We have no reason to force ourselves on those which don't.

I'm a minister ordained over the internet (who has married 8 couples) so I , happily, resemble this remark. Let us, as a nation, support two human beings in this deepest of human commitments!

(of course, I am also a church-going, Sunday school-teaching, Jesus freak)

I'm a minister ordained over the internet (who has married 8 couples) so I , happily, resemble this remark. Let us, as a nation, support two human beings in this deepest of human commitments!

(of course, I am also a church-going, Sunday school-teaching, Jesus freak)

I hope I didn't seem to be putting down the woman who married us in comparing her to a minister. Getting herself ordained was only the beginning of the lovely work she did for us.

We chose one of our closest friends and she took the ceremony VERY seriously. She interviewed each of us and then did research, creating a specifically personal ritual based heavily on Buddhist rites, which was entirely appropriate to our theological views. (Our neighbors who hired a well-known activist priest for their wedding got something nice, but very generic compared to our wedding.)

Of course, if I could have afforded to fly southcitymom across the country, she would have been my first choice! If I suddenly get tired of my husband (not likely after nearly 40 years), I'll hire scm for my next wedding!

No, not at all, dear Nova. I got ordained for same the reason (to marry two close friends who wanted me to do it). It is an honor! I'm just happy that you and your betrothed have finally made honest men of each other...what in the world took you so long?! ;-)

No, not at all, dear Nova. I got ordained for same the reason (to marry two close friends who wanted me to do it). It is an honor! I'm just happy that you and your betrothed have finally made honest men of each other...what in the world took you so long?! ;-)

Of course, we're in California. So we have been legally married for 7 years this month. Doesn't seem possible!

But not so impossible as our brothers and sisters getting "gay married" in Alabama!

Of course, we're in California. So we have been legally married for 7 years this month. Doesn't seem possible!

But not so impossible as our brothers and sisters getting "gay married" in Alabama!

Yes, and I know that your marriage teetered in legal limbo for too long. But, no worries; truth outs. We are slow on Earth to implement what our souls know in a nanosecond. How beautiful that our Southern brethren can answer this call, respond to this dignity. As someone who lives and breathes in the South, I am exceptionally delighted!

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mr Nova :toastred:

Meanwhile, down in crazytown Australia, the agriculture minister thinks gay marriage might hurt beef exports with Asia. WTF? The Liberal's senate leader is still crying "think of the children", which is odd because gay couples already legally raise bio and adopted children here - including the Labor senate leader who raises two children with her girlfriend. The PM (who, don't forget, has a gay sister) said it should be introduced as a cross-party bill to parliament, and so it was last week. Then the PM's all like "Oh, well we don't really debate cross-party bills and, anyway, there's more important things." Like scaring the crap out of everyone over national security and deriding the "lefty lynch mob" (actual words from PM) national broadcaster :gaah: It stinks of desperation, which is good because I think it's the anti-gay lobby taking its dying breaths.

And there's this :facepalm: Talk about cutting the nose off to spite the face.

The Presbyterian Church is considering refusing to participate in secular marriage if gay marriage is allowed to go ahead. Last week, the NSW arm of the Presbyterian Church, which is the fourth largest religious group in Australia, decided to ask its national branch to take the steps necessary to withdraw from the Marriage Act entirely if same sex unions are no longer banned by law.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/presbyter...-if-gay-marriage-allowed-20150706-gi68kf.html

Hazel Park couple who fought marriage ban to wed

Oralandar Brand-Williams, The Detroit News 10:34 a.m. EDT July 21, 2015

Southfield — The celebrated Hazel Park couple — who made history when their lawsuit challenging Michigan's gay marriage ban was part of the U.S. Supreme Court's historic decision last month to legalize same-sex marriage in America — has set a date to officially wed.

April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse will say their "I do’s" Aug. 22 in Southfield, said their co-counsel, Dana Nessel, Tuesday...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...zel-park-couple-fought-marriage-ban/30458433/

August wedding set for Hazel Park couple in gay marriage case

Posted: 07/21/15, 12:17 PM EDT | Updated: 37 secs ago

HAZEL PARK (AP) — Two Detroit-area nurses whose lawsuit erased Michigan’s ban on gay marriage will exchange vows in August...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gene...et-for-hazel-park-couple-in-gay-marriage-case

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mr Nova!

Thank you, Brightbird. We celebrated heartily at Red Lobster! And treated ourselves to a Netflix subscription.

The thing of it is, now I have to remember TWO anniversaries: the one we've been celebrating for 38 years and the one of our official marriage. My husband is very big on "special days", but I... well, I'm doing well if I remember one out of two dates! So I'm basically in trouble every year now. (But I thank God that Mr. Nova hasn't thought to check the certificate that shows the date when we became legal "domestic partners". This is yet another reason for marriage equality: so that date-challenged people such as I don't have to remember more than one.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back