MS - Troy Goode, 30, Asthmatic dad dies after being hog-tied by police, Southaven, 2015 *settled*

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
Asthmatic dad dies after being hogtied and held face down by police in concert arrest, 'despite screaming he couldn't breathe'

A Mississippi father died at the hospital on Saturday night hours after being taken into custody by police during an incident that may have involved excessive force and a hogtie that proved fatal.
Troy Goode's wife Kelli was driving them back from a Widespread Panic concert at Snowden Grove Amphitheater when she pulled over around 7.45pm because of her husband's 'erratic' behavior.
When Southaven Police arrived, they observed the 30-year-old chemical engineer 'running from the area acting strange and not cooperative' and learned he 'had allegedly taken some LSD'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olice-following-Widespread-Panic-concert.html

Video

Police filmed 'hogtying' asthmatic dad who died hours later

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...ce-caught-hogtying-Troy-Goode-later-died.html

I'm having trouble seeing exactly what happened on the video, but the comments the person made are just chilling - like just in case he dies, and superimposing "I can't breathe" on it.

Another awful case of potential excessive force/inadequate custody.

Something badly wrong when there's so many citizens dying at the hands of people who are supposed to protect them.

So much of this is confusing to me. Did his wife call the police when she pulled over? Was it the cops who tied him down or the EMTs? Or did they work together?

Now the DA is saying there was no misconduct and he likely died due to a "heart issue."

Watch this video (long but worth it)[video=youtube;cW2RE-ezChs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2RE-ezChs[/video]

And tell me why cops responding wouldn't want to control this person. Their priority is their safety, and people on drugs are unpredictable. It is sad this father died, but why did he do the drug in the first place?

Watch this video (long but worth it)

And tell me why cops responding wouldn't want to control this person. Their priority is their safety, and people on drugs are unpredictable. It is sad this father died, but why did he do the drug in the first place?

Tell me why it was necessary to tie this father up like this. Tell me why there was no other way to control and care for him.

Tell me why it was necessary to tie this father up like this. Tell me why there was no other way to control and care for him.

According to the MSM, he died hours later, which means he did not die while the EMT's were transporting or the cops were securing him for transport. As I said before, people on drugs are unpredictable. From an EMT stand point, if a person states they cannot breath, they can as they are able to speak.

The officers and EMT's were only protecting themselves. In the US, EMT's are paid close to the same amount as McDonald's employees. They do it because they care, but they also have to protect themselves. The average salary for cops in the city I live in is 35-40K a year starting pay. (I actually work for the city I live in, and after 16 years, make more then some of the cops.)

I am not trying to be argumentative or self righteous, but working so close with both EMT's and PD, I have seen what they have to deal with. Drug usage is not easy to deal with.

I hadn't heard about this at all. How awful. And yet another case of excessive force and another death while in police custody.

While I understand the effects of LSD can be scary to those trying to deal with the person experiencing them, is it really necessary to hogtie an individual and ignore his statements that he can't breathe?

Something's really gone wrong with the way law enforcement handles calls. They seem way too quick to react with over-the-top force than in the past.

Scary.

According to the MSM, he died hours later, which means he did not die while the EMT's were transporting or the cops were securing him for transport. As I said before, people on drugs are unpredictable. From an EMT stand point, if a person states they cannot breath, they can as they are able to speak.

The officers and EMT's were only protecting themselves. In the US, EMT's are paid close to the same amount as McDonald's employees. They do it because they care, but they also have to protect themselves. The average salary for cops in the city I live in is 35-40K a year starting pay. (I actually work for the city I live in, and after 16 years, make more then some of the cops.)

I am not trying to be argumentative or self righteous, but working so close with both EMT's and PD, I have seen what they have to deal with. Drug usage is not easy to deal with.

Off topic but I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area- cops and EMTs start out making small fortunes here. I realize we're not anywhere near the norm but starting pay for cops is around $60K easy. EMTs are also paid very well. Of course, considering a standard 3 BR 2 BA house 1500 square foot home can easily cost well upwards of $750K in my area - $60K isn't much. I always say we're not living in the real world around here- everything is through the stratosphere! Totally agree with you about EMTs and their caring nature!

So much of this is confusing to me. Did his wife call the police when she pulled over? Was it the cops who tied him down or the EMTs? Or did they work together?

Now the DA is saying there was no misconduct and he likely died due to a "heart issue."

"heart issue" can mean so many things......

I hadn't heard about this at all. How awful. And yet another case of excessive force and another death while in police custody.

While I understand the effects of LSD can be scary to those trying to deal with the person experiencing them, is it really necessary to hogtie an individual and ignore his statements that he can't breathe?

Something's really gone wrong with the way law enforcement handles calls. They seem way too quick to react with over-the-top force than in the past.

Scary.

I did a ton of LSD back in the day.

Never became agressive nor attracted police attention.

Hogtying a man until he dies was , IMO, not at all related to LSD. Coke?, maybe, steriods, maybe......even alcohol....but acid? Pshaw.

Another cop trying to show off his POWER.

It is disgusting.

I did a ton of LSD back in the day.

Never became agressive nor attracted police attention.

Hogtying a man until he dies was , IMO, not at all related to LSD. Coke?, maybe, steriods, maybe......even alcohol....but acid? Pshaw.

Another cop trying to show off his POWER.

It is disgusting.

I watch something like that and it makes me so angry but it also breaks my heart ... where is their humanity?

I am not afraid of interacting with the police. I don't do drugs, am respectful and will do what they ask me to without questioning.

I have no sympathy for those who don't follow these simple rules. It's not the police's job to babysit your drunken/spoiled/druggie *advertiser censored*. They are not your mommy to hold your hand and hug you because you are sad and brandishing a gun.

I come from a country in which the police are a mockery. They are made fun of, spit on or ignored by criminals. I very much like the US police.

I am not afraid of interacting with the police. I don't do drugs, am respectful and will do what they ask me to without questioning.

I have no sympathy for those who don't follow these simple rules. It's not the police's job to babysit your drunken/spoiled/druggie *advertiser censored*. They are not your mommy to hold your hand and hug you because you are sad and brandishing a gun.

I come from a country in which the police are a mockery. They are made fun of, spit on or ignored by criminals. I very much like the US police.

I expect police officers to provide protection and care to citizens. Protect and serve, right? They were not serving nor protecting anyone in this incident.

I don't really know much about LSD other than that it's a hallucinogenic, but I do know a bit about asthma. I know that for me it would be almost impossible for me to breathe under those circumstances. I also know that even when I can barely breathe, I can still talk some. I've had times when my Sats were in the 60s and I was still able to say what was wrong (I needed my inhaler and the tube was disconnected from my O2 concentrator.) The lack of oxygen doesn't always kill immediately, but it can cause serious problems - including organ damage, or heart attacks when the heart tries to pump enough blood to supply the needed oxygen.

MOO

[h=1]Attorneys release family’s autopsy results in Troy Goode hogtie case[/h]They said Goode was bit by one of the Police K9s and tased.

They went on to say that he was hogtied, his back was bowed, and his head was strapped down, pulling him in the opposite direction.

Their forensic pathologist found Goode had a heart problem due to the prolonged amount of time he was hogtied.
They explained he couldn't get oxygen and his heart overworked trying to make up for it.

I don't really know much about LSD other than that it's a hallucinogenic, but I do know a bit about asthma. I know that for me it would be almost impossible for me to breathe under those circumstances. I also know that even when I can barely breathe, I can still talk some. I've had times when my Sats were in the 60s and I was still able to say what was wrong (I needed my inhaler and the tube was disconnected from my O2 concentrator.) The lack of oxygen doesn't always kill immediately, but it can cause serious problems - including organ damage, or heart attacks when the heart tries to pump enough blood to supply the needed oxygen.

MOO

it is always strange when people point out that "if you can talk you can breathe" and they ignore the obvious distinction that someone in distress and saying "i cant breathe" is clearly meaning that they are having trouble breathing

Trial begins six years after man dies in custody of Southaven Police Department

Almost six years to the day, six years and one day to be exact, prosecution and defense presented their cases before a freshly selected jury on what led to the death of 30-year-old Troy Goode.

I wonder if this was a criminal or civil case? The wording is kinda vague.....

Settlement in Troy Goode case | DeSoto County News

There are reports today of a settlement in a case involving Troy Goode, who died in 2015 in the custody of the Southaven Police Department.

A settlement was announced after the prosecution and defense made their opening statements in U.S. District Court in Oxford this (Tuesday) morning. Details of the settlement have not been immediately released.

Goode died after being detained by police officers at a Widespread Panic concert at the BankPlus Amphitheater at Snowden Grove. Court records described Goode’s detention as having been “hog-tied” for about 90 minutes.

An independent autopsy later said Goode died of cardiac arrhythmia, due to being hog-tied. Police at the time had said Goode was under the influence of LSD and was acting erratically.

Southaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite has issued a statement, the entirety is found below.

The City of Southaven, in conjunction with our insurance carrier, and Kelli Goode, along with her minor child have reached a settlement to avoid trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back