WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think that all of our super sleuthing would solve the mystery to his name, but then I sometimes wonder if the name is just a red herring. Perhaps when Lyle was sitting on the bus, the person next to him was reading "You Must Remember This." The person got up to go to the bathroom or go into his or her luggage. Lyle glances over at the book sitting on the seat and sees back of the book, which gives an intriguing summary and includes Lyle Stevick's name (which at least one edition I found did). Maybe it stirred something in him. He gets to the motel and thinks of the name, but doesn't necessarily remember the spelling. It could be as simple as that.

RSBM

Actually, it looks like there are 2 subreddits, both started 2 months ago: /r/lyle_stevik and /r/lylestevik. They were both started by the same person. But there is no activity and there are no subscribers. I know Lyle has been discussed in various other subreddits, though- most recently in/r/gratefuldoe and /r/UnresolvedMysteries.

I own both of those. Back when I released the photos/files I was planning on using them, but I never got around to it. If anyone is interested in using them for this purpose, I'd be happy to hand them over.

I have a Master's in Comparative Literature, and still have to look up some character names and, at times, even the spelling for some authors (for instance, I am used to Dostoevsky being spelled as Dostoievski). I can easily see myself forgetting the "c", in some character's name.

I'd like to think that all of our super sleuthing would solve the mystery to his name, but then I sometimes wonder if the name is just a red herring. Perhaps when Lyle was sitting on the bus, the person next to him was reading "You Must Remember This." The person got up to go to the bathroom or go into his or her luggage. Lyle glances over at the book sitting on the seat and sees back of the book, which gives an intriguing summary and includes Lyle Stevick's name (which at least one edition I found did). Maybe it stirred something in him. He gets to the motel and thinks of the name, but doesn't necessarily remember the spelling. It could be as simple as that.

I agree that the name Lyle Stevik is probably a dead end. I used the name "Wildhack" as a screen/user/email name for many years. I read Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut and there is a character in the book named Dakota Wildhack.

The book is tragic and odd. I loved the offhand humor and related to the overall theme. So I chose a name from that book. Dakota Wildhack is a *advertiser censored* actress. I am fairly modest. But I liked her. If she had an oddly spelled name, I could have misspelled it, especially in the spot.

JMO. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from sleuthing the name Stevik.

Yes, of course. I think it was posted a few weeks back in this thread. There's a Facebook post from the daughter of the maid that was left in 2014 on a group about ghost stories/supernatural phenomena. The motel name was flagged when I was searching for it on Facebook - that's how I came across the post.

Her comment was shared on a Facebook group with 25,000 followers and is open to public view so I'll post it again here (edited to add paragraphs to make it easier to read):

The rationale was to contact her seeing as she seems happy to talk about the events, and see if we could find out more about Lyle. But she has yet to respond.

Do you have a link to the daughter's story? I've tried searching for it but i'm not having much luck.

Do you have a link to the daughter's story? I've tried searching for it but i'm not having much luck.

I'm trying to find the original posting too, it's not showing up for me either. But the screencap from a few pages back should still be there.

He was a beautiful man. I see his pm pics, and I felt I'd like to knew him, to knew his intentions, hugh him and told him that everything is resolvible..

Want to let everyone know Janet Franson is not with NamUs any more. I don't know who will get her cases. Was very sad to see her position being advertised. I don't know if she retired or left due to health. I had emailed her last week, she did not reply. I entered a case in her region the other day & saw there was no case worker assigned.

I have been reading all the threads about LS and come up with a theory about what might of happened with regards to this case. However its extremely long (5 pages) and I am trying to find any guidelines as to how long a post can be. I did try to shorten it up but in order for it to all make some sort of sense I had to explain a lot of the "what if's". I will wait until maybe someone can direct me to the rules and guidelines on post length before I post my thoughts on this case. TIA

I have been reading all the threads about LS and come up with a theory about what might of happened with regards to this case. However its extremely long (5 pages) and I am trying to find any guidelines as to how long a post can be. I did try to shorten it up but in order for it to all make some sort of sense I had to explain a lot of the "what if's". I will wait until maybe someone can direct me to the rules and guidelines on post length before I post my thoughts on this case. TIA

Sounds very intriguing!
Until word comes concerning length of post ( a blog ?) would you care to post some of your major points for now?

Alert your post and ask a mod

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Coming out of lurkerhood with a question. I've read all the threads over the last year or so, but don't recall seeing this.
Does he have a smallpox vaccine scar? That would help narrow his age, as I know some have thought he's older or younger than the range. U.S. And Canada both stopped this in 1972.

Coming out of lurkerhood with a question. I've read all the threads over the last year or so, but don't recall seeing this.
Does he have a smallpox vaccine scar? That would help narrow his age, as I know some have thought he's older or younger than the range. U.S. And Canada both stopped this in 1972.

The mods at the subreddit got in contact with the original investigator. According to him, Lyle doesn't have anything aside from the appendectomy scar.

I was born in 1974 in Ontario and I have the scar.

ETA though I've always believed it's an implant :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So no bcg scar either? Everybody i know around my age or older has one, now its only routinely given if you live in an area where you are deemed to be at risk from tb.

From a quick google it looks like it was never routinly given in the us, but it was in canada with diffrent areas stopping at different times.

Thanks. If he doesn't have one, I would say he pretty much couldn't have been born in the U.S. or Canada before 1972, and I could easily be wrong about when Canada stopped them. Either way, I'd put his upper age at 29 if he's from one of the two. Vaccine refusals were quite rare back then.
I'm not familiar with bcg. Need to go look that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motherrunner