ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reinwand hasn't spoken publicly about Deorr's disappearance until EastIdahoNews.com visited his home Monday morning.

"So he was just with you and the grandfather when he wandered away?" reporter Nate Eaton asked Reinwand on his front porch.

"Uh-huh," Reinwand responded. "As far as I know he disappeared."
https://youtu.be/01DB2lqpWcs

Someone posted a timeline of events which I found very useful and there has been one thing bothering me for a while.

If you are driving 2 1/2 hours to a campsite don't you try to make sure you have everything you need? Of course, you're bound to forget something, but to drive all that way with a toddler and then get back in the truck and drive 40 minutes each way to a store over rough roads to pick up a few things seems odd.

To me, it would have made sense that a list would be made and one person go to the store instead of them all going. The father did say in the interview that they went as a family.

JMO

I would make a list and try to remember everything, of course, but sometimes people forget and sometimes it's something you really need. Maybe it's something that wasn't even on the list. Have you ever gone camping and forgotten to double-check all the gear that's been packed up since your last trip?

I understand that. I guess I was thinking that since the sheriffs/LE have been so positive and supportive-sounding of the parents that they would have released passing results in an effort to help calm the firestorm of social media speculation that they speak out against.
Lie detector tests are not 100% accurate anyway, so they wouldn't give out anything about their investigation that could come back in the future. I'm sure they do not want to compromise their investigation. I really feel they know what they're doing.

I find it odd that the Sheriff specifically mentioned GGP's "mental" health in describing why he is not a POI. This to me suggests a fairly substantial cognitive impairment. I also find it a bit odd that a 35 year old (with a criminal record) is being described as GGP's "friend" of 5 years. How many 30 year olds are good enough friends w/ someone of GGP's age that they would go camping with them and their family? Particularly if GGP has a substantial cognitive impairment. Is it possible that the 35 year old was actually GGP's "friend" in the sense of carer (perhaps described as a friend to make it more palatable to the GGP). I've had elderly family members who had "friends" like this. If this is the case, then there's no doubt that Deorr was left in the care of GGP AND the carer, which makes more sense to me anyway... because who leaves their toddler w/ a GGP who is physically and mentally incapable of being a suspect in his disappearance? Wouldn't that make him incapable of adequately caring for toddler?

Now... I'm not sure where that leaves things. I seriously doubt that GGP and carer conspired to kill DK (why on earth would they) or even cover up his death (no way carer would trust GGP to cover for him -- especially if he's mentally diminished; and why would innocent carer cover for non-culpable GGP?). If GGP is truly incapable of having killed/covered up DK's death alone, then -- in my mind -- the only way that carer could be responsible is if he killed/covered up DK's death alone and GGP is so out of it that he didn't notice. I guess that's possible if carer did it out of GGP's sight and GGP's impairment leaves him with no real sense of time (pretty common in dementia); GGP could think carer was there the whole time even if he wasn't. That said, GGP would have to be VERY impaired for that to be possible... which surely LE must know is/isn't true.

Parents could still be responsible if DK did go with them/follow them and they did something out of sight of GGP/carer. (NB. NOT in any way suggesting parents are responsible, just that the above reasoning doesn't rule them out. If parents, would seem accidental death + cover up is only real explanation. No way they intentionally conspired to kill DK.)

Are we even sure no one left the campsite with Deorr in a vehicle after parents went exploring and then returned without him before they returned?

You may be on to something there. After seeing the interview with the family friend, and how ridiculous he behaved, you know, acting as if he was about to fall asleep in the middle of the interview, I'm beginning to wonder just how much GGrandpa can actually remember.

It was stated very clearly that the GGrandpa had both physical and mental health issues. Was Grandpa possibly napping when Deorr disappeared?

I've never really bought into the 10 minute window because it contradicts the call to 911. "We were gone about 10 minutes, we searched for about 20 minutes.......he's been missing about an hour." The math doesn't add up.....
10 minutes + 20 minutes= 1 hour. I think the "exploring' number might be off by 20-25 minutes.

Sometimes you lose track of time when you are at a new camping spot, that's part of the beauty of going camping.....you don't really care what time it is. I've actually thought their timing was off all along, regardless of how or why he vanished. If he did walk away though, that added time would go a long way in explaining how he could have gotten pretty far out of visual and audio range during the parents walk.

Could a vehicle have left the campsite and returned without the parents knowing it ? If somebody needed to take a trip to the latrine, could it be done in 15 minutes? Would GGrandpa remember it ? Was he awake and lucid ?

I do not think they would tell us anything. We have no idea what they think. Why would they compromise their investigation?

Because it happens a lot. If we didn't know who was a suspect in a case there would be no websleuths. :)

Someone posted a timeline of events which I found very useful and there has been one thing bothering me for a while.

If you are driving 2 1/2 hours to a campsite don't you try to make sure you have everything you need? Of course, you're bound to forget something, but to drive all that way with a toddler and then get back in the truck and drive 40 minutes each way to a store over rough roads to pick up a few things seems odd.

To me, it would have made sense that a list would be made and one person go to the store instead of them all going. The father did say in the interview that they went as a family.

JMO

It would be interesting to know what they bought. I would also like to know if Deorr was dirty and crying during the trip to the store and what time it was.

I go camping a lot and make extensive lists of things to bring, but a few times I have forgotten items we really need (propane, fishing bait, etc.) so I have driven to the closest store -- but we rarely camp all that far out in the boonies and never on a road that requires an ATV or SUV.

[SUB][/SUB]
I found him odd in the video, but that's just me.

He sounded drunk, but I am guessing they woke him up. He seemed to really perk up when they mentioned the grandfather and he asked if they had talked to him yet.

Reinwand hasn't spoken publicly about Deorr's disappearance until EastIdahoNews.com visited his home Monday morning.

"So he was just with you and the grandfather when he wandered away?" reporter Nate Eaton asked Reinwand on his front porch.

"Uh-huh," Reinwand responded. "As far as I know he disappeared."

That's a strange video, and the comment is just as strange: "As far as I know, he disappeared."

[SUB][/SUB]

He sounded drunk, but I am guessing they woke him up. He seemed to really perk up when they mentioned the grandfather and he asked if they had talked to him yet.

I can't make my mind up whether he's:
1. Just woken up
2. Drunk
3. Under the influence of a mind-altering substance other than alcohol
4. Mentally impaired

I just saw the video...WOW... I couldn't make out a lot of what he said. He was very interested to know if they talked to g'gf though.

omg...c'mon, really? This is solely my opinion after watching video...he doesn't look like he is all there either...he's slurring, he doesn't even open his eyes for most of the interview..hmmmm..wonder what makes a person act like that?

I think he just woke up. The reporter apologized for having awakened him.

Video that goes with the East Idaho news story has a few more details.
Excellent! Now we all know his name and face. We can discuss the interview, but that is it.

I found it quite interesting when Isaac (not sure of his last name as the pronunciation wasn't very clear) asked the reporter if he had talked to the GGF. It was his reply when he was pressed to answer what happened.

I understand that. I guess I was thinking that since the sheriffs/LE have been so positive and supportive-sounding of the parents that they would have released passing results in an effort to help calm the firestorm of social media speculation that they speak out against.
I don't recall LE ever releasing poly results in investigations.

That's a strange video, and the comment is just as strange: "As far as I know, he disappeared."
Almost as if he doesn't know but was told that. Would someone be willing to transcribe the conversation so we can look at it more?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Whoa! What the heck? How bizzare is that video? Very weird to me. I don't know what to think.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I agree. That is a STRANGE interview. The resting of his arm on the doorknob is bizarre.

I think he just woke up. The report apologized for having awakened him.

If my friend's great-grandson had disappeared, my name had been spread all over SM, and a reporter banged on my door (waking me up) I would probably be angry (and sluggish from sleep). I'm impressed he even opened the door but maybe he realized he'd be listening to that banging all day if he didn't.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member