ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it common for the FBI to investigate a case where a child became lost? Or is this just more proof that this case is ~one of a kind~ along with LE using the word "POIs" to describe witnesses?

The article mentions that Leadore is close to the Montana border. When I was asking about the possibility of the FBI becoming involved, this exact thought was in my brain. If there's evidence, or a probability that he was transported across state lines, it becomes a federal investigation, right? Of course, if he wasn't abducted, how would he get across state lines? Or maybe that line in the article was just a fun geography fact...

I'm not from the U.S., so can anyone tell me at what point the FBI is usually brought in? I thought I had read somewhere that they get involved if state lines have been crossed but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.
I would really appreciate a clearer understanding. Thank you.
They can be invited in at any point. If the case is not a federal one (where federal laws have been broken and it is known), they are asked to become involved by the agency overseeing the case. Without an invitation, they don't normally intervene unless there is a problem involving the said agency and are asked by the State's Attorney's Office to investigate. Certain cases immediately go to the FBI like bombings, for instance.

What are the primary investigative functions of the FBI?
The FBI’s investigative authority is the broadest of all federal law enforcement agencies. The FBI has divided its investigations into a number of programs, such as domestic and international terrorism, foreign counterintelligence, cyber, public corruption, civil rights, organized crime/drugs, white-collar crime, violent crimes and major offenders, and applicant matters. The FBI’s investigative philosophy emphasizes close relations and information sharing with other federal, state, local, and international law enforcement and intelligence agencies. A significant number of FBI investigations are conducted in concert with other law enforcement agencies or as part of joint task forces.

SNIP

If a child is missing and possibly kidnapped, but no interstate transportation is known, will the FBI begin an investigation?
Yes. The FBI will initiate a kidnapping investigation involving a missing child “of tender years,” even though there is no known interstate aspect. “Tender years” is generally defined as a child 12 years or younger. The FBI will monitor other kidnapping situations when there is no evidence of interstate travel, and it offers assistance from various entities including the FBI Laboratory.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/faqs

Spies. Terrorists. Hackers. Pedophiles. Mobsters. Gang leaders and serial killers. We investigate them all, and many more besides.
The very heart of FBI operations lies in our investigations—which serve, as our mission states, “to protect and defend the United States against terrorist and foreign intelligence threats and to enforce the criminal laws of the United States.” We currently have jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal law, and you can find the major ones below, grouped within our national security and criminal priorities. Also visit our Intelligence program site, which underpins and informs all our investigative programs.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/what_we_investigate

FBI Jurisdiction in Child Kidnappings​
In the public eye—and even in some state and local law enforcement circles—there are common misconceptions about when the FBI can get involved in child kidnappings. That there has to be evidence a victim has been taken across state lines. Or that a ransom demand has to be made. Or that 24 hours must pass.
All are false.
Whether the case ends up being investigated and prosecuted at the local level or at the federal level, the Bureau will always leverage our investigative resources and technical assets to work hand in hand with state and local law enforcement agencies on cases involving the mysterious disappearance of a child. Our role is to help investigate the disappearance, recover the child, and apprehend the person or persons responsible.
And that role begins as soon as we’re notified.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/20...ild-abductions/investigating-child-abductions

Although the article doesn't specific if the classification of this case has changed from a 'search and rescue', with the FBI coming in it seems it has indeed.

Although the article doesn't specific if the classification of this case has changed from a 'search and rescue', with the FBI coming in it seems it has indeed.
The classification is Missing Person. The phase of the case is still in Search and Rescue mode as they are still conducting daily searches. The FBI coming in doesn't change that at all. In fact, it could open new areas to be searched depending on their interrogations/interviews.

Some things I think I think...

...Since the Sheriff has called in the FBI to assist, and since the Sheriff does not believe an abduction occurred, does he also not believe that an animal attack occurred?

Just wondering to myself...

I am very skeptical the FBI gets involved in cases, where there is no criminal activity involved in the case. Can someone provide cases where a child was lost, and the FBI sent investigators?

FYI ONLY -
Sheriff says he's convinced DeOrr Kunz was not abducted
By KBOI Web Staff Published: Jul 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM MDT

...Sheriff Lynn Bowerman updated KBOI 2News on the case of missing Idaho boy DeOrr Kunz, who was last seen July 10. Although he's convinced the 2-year-old was not abducted, Bowerman said he's unable to rule out the possibility...

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/DeOrr-Kunz-Missing-Idaho-320303121.html
"The sheriff also said on Friday that the FBI is sending a team of investigators to assist the Lemhi County Sheriff's office who will be checking the sheriff's office interviews and may re-interview some people to make sure deputies didn't miss anything."

ETA: Sorry I see I was late to the game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Good, I think a fresh set of eyes (fbi) will ultimately solve this. Less chance of emotional involvement and local corruption hindering efforts.

The sheriff's office does not have a 24-hour presence at the campsite, however, detectives go up every day to search. why detectives and not SAR?

The sheriff's office does not have a 24-hour presence at the campsite, however, detectives go up every day to search. why detectives and not SAR?

How do you know this? I didn't think anyone was still going up.

eta: Got it. And yeah, I wonder what that's about?

How can you be convinced it was not an abduction but not be able to rule it out?

How can you be convinced it was not an abduction but not be able to rule it out?

Perhaps looking "closer" to the inner circle ? But theoretically, that would be an abduction, but perhaps not a stranger.

Just an FYI. When people are considered 'Suspects' they have to be Mirandized and then they usually lawyer up. When they are "Persons of Interest" they do not have to be Mirandized. POI applies to anyone who has information as to where everyone was and what happened before the child disappeared, those with the child when he was last seen, those considered to be the last people known to have seen the child. LE needs voluntary cooperation and unlimited access to all 4 adults at this time.

I would lawyer up either way.

FYI ONLY -
Sheriff says he's convinced DeOrr Kunz was not abducted
By KBOI Web Staff Published: Jul 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM MDT

...Sheriff Lynn Bowerman updated KBOI 2News on the case of missing Idaho boy DeOrr Kunz, who was last seen July 10. Although he's convinced the 2-year-old was not abducted, Bowerman said he's unable to rule out the possibility...

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/DeOrr-Kunz-Missing-Idaho-320303121.html

The Sheriff should have called in the FBI at the beginning of this case. There is no excuse for his failure to call upon a resource that is readily available. It was utterly ridiculous that his office instead focused on what was being said on social media.

JMO

FBI Jurisdiction in Child Kidnappings

In the public eye—and even in some state and local law enforcement circles—there are common misconceptions about when the FBI can get involved in child kidnappings. That there has to be evidence a victim has been taken across state lines. Or that a ransom demand has to be made. Or that 24 hours must pass.

All are false.

Whether the case ends up being investigated and prosecuted at the local level or at the federal level, the Bureau will always leverage our investigative resources and technical assets to work hand in hand with state and local law enforcement agencies on cases involving the mysterious disappearance of a child. Our role is to help investigate the disappearance, recover the child, and apprehend the person or persons responsible.

And that role begins as soon as we’re notified.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/20...ild-abductions/investigating-child-abductions

The Sheriff seems more worried about being proved wrong than about finding the missing child. Apparently the grandfather was in good enough physical and mental condition to go to a rustic, primitive camp site but the sheriff has decided he is too frail to be interrogated. That's just as ridiculous as his failure to call in the FBI right away.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member