FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the best course of action is to continue the search at the same rate, using the same amount of resources and money. I generally feel like this is the best course of action, if the boys are still alive, it's better to have as many boats and planes looking for them now. Of course that will make the money run out quickly, but hopefully, since the case is still recent, people will continue to donate. I think it's best for them to continue an extensive search everyday, than to try to make the money last longer by spending less eahc day, but that's JMO.

Which makes me mad. In the Gulf of Mexico everyone 16 and under must wear a life jacket and they will board your boat and check! It's a big fine. We have had our boat boarded more than once when deep sea fishing out at the rigs. Why are rules not the same in the Atlantic?

Seems as though in a vessel under 26', a vest is required by law. Granted, this is Boat US, but they're pretty reliable.

http://www.boatus.org/life-jacket-loaner/staterequirements.asp

[h=2]Florida[/h][h=3]What age must wear PFD:[/h]Under age 6.
[h=3]Vessel Length:[/h]Less than 26 feet.
[h=3]When PFD Must be Worn:[/h]Must be worn while vessel is underway.
[h=3]Approved PFD Styles:[/h]Type I, II, or III

I took my guys deep sea fishing twice from Islamorada when they were younger. I just went through the pictures, and they never had a life jacket on, even though the little one was six at the time. This was a decade ago though. I never questioned it at the time. Years later, my guys were upset because I made them wear them in the small canal behind the house, so, I can see kids not using them whenever they have the chance.
ETA it was charter deep sea fishing

......and I find it rather disturbing to watch the parents interviewed with a calmness and confidence that makes one wonder? I mean to be sitting on a sofa calmly with another mother and talk about how sure their kids are just fine--in fact as their father said "are probably spear fishing and having Sushi" I know we all have our ways of coping but this is just bazaar and totally disconnected, don't you think??
All IMO. From them, not really. They live and breathe the disappearance and they have their entire community rallying around them. The money doesn't hurt either. Once their support starts to fade out (assuming nothing/no one is found), they'll start to come to grips with the whole thing. I'm sure they're heartbroken.

None of these links work for me. (I clicked for more information). I get an error for each one.

Can you click to more information such as cost?

http://seagpstracking.com/products_yacht-alarm_boat-security.htm

http://seagpstracking.com/world-arc-boat-tracking.htm

Live Tracking

GOST Nav-Tracker GPS Tracking System:
Tracking the Progress of the 2010 World ARC Rally Boat Liza

- See more at: http://seagpstracking.com/world-arc-boat-tracking.htm#sthash.7zxAuEou.dpuf

Live Tracking

GOST Nav-Tracker GPS Tracking System:
Tracking the Progress of the 2010 World ARC Rally Boat Liza

- See more at: http://seagpstracking.com/world-arc-boat-tracking.htm#sthash.7zxAuEou.dpuf

I'd have to download the 2015 Catalogue to find the cost and I hate to download from the net. But google GOST if these links don't work.

Thanks for the info that they searched nearby. I didn't say whether or not I thought they were alive. I meant searching underwater for a body or items missing. And yes I know about the high amount of sharks in the area. Maybe the sharks are a reason they wouldn't do that, and also the hopes of the families and the community. Obviously all JMO.

Not only sharks but crabs also. I don't think there would be much of anything left of a body, human or sea life.

From Live Science:" What Happens to a Dead Body in the Ocean?"

WARNING: GRAPHIC and involves a dead pig.

I hope just the link shows up and that the video does not pop up.

http://www.livescience.com/48480-what-happens-to-dead-body-in-ocean.html

If I'm remembering correctly, the Gulf Stream is about 15 miles off of Jupiter, so that seems very very likely. (I may be wrong, it's been a long week with little sleep!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to correct this statement- the Gulf Stream is only about 3 miles off Jupiter.

No, they left the inlet 3 hours before the storm was there. There is a cross current in the inlet...there's water pushing out, but there's also water pushing in. Sometimes you can actually see swirls in the water like a toilet flushing.

Then...there's a break just outside the inlet that creates waves, and the current pushes from the south side of the inlet around to the northern side. There is a huge erosion problem on the south side of the inlet because of that current.

They went out voluntarily. The police dept has video of them leaving the inlet under full power.

I understand. They definitely wanted to get out of the inlet into the open ocean. However what I meant was that they might have not planned to go out in the ocean as much but stay closer to shore, maybe thinking, 'if the storm gets bad we'll be back in the inlet in no time'.

......and I find it rather disturbing to watch the parents interviewed with a calmness and confidence that makes one wonder? I mean to be sitting on a sofa calmly with another mother and talk about how sure their kids are just fine--in fact as their father said "are probably spear fishing and having Sushi" I know we all have our ways of coping but this is just bazaar and totally disconnected, don't you think??

The first stage of grief is denial ... they are not ready to accept the truth yet, so yes, in a way they are disconnected from reality right now. But I don't find it bizarre. It might become bizarre if they still talk like that in a few weeks.

Those poor parents :(

Today I feel it would have been more merciful if they died when the boat capsized rather than floating around for days, to die of thirst, or to be attacked by sharks.

I understand. They definitely wanted to get out of the inlet into the open ocean. However what I meant was that they might have not planned to go out in the ocean as much but stay closer to shore, maybe thinking, 'if the storm gets bad we'll be back in the inlet in no time.

Snipped by me :)

Yes, you're probably right. Which is also why I believe they had an empty cooler. They probably wouldn't fill it with food/drinks because they were going to catch fish and there is no livewell in that boat (circulates sea water in a hatch-type compartment to keep caught fish alive and fresh) so they'd put the fish in the cooler.

Complete speculation here- but I'm thinking that going out the inlet behind their parents back to catch "the big ones" was a common thing for them. They hadn't gotten caught yet... So they go out planning to fish long enough to load up the cooler, intending to be back before anyone knew they were out there and the storm came and whatever happened, happened.

Snipped by me :)

Yes, you're probably right. Which is also why I believe they had an empty cooler. They probably wouldn't fill it with food/drinks because they were going to catch fish and there is no livewell in that boat (circulates sea water in a hatch-type compartment to keep caught fish alive and fresh) so they'd put the fish in the cooler.

Complete speculation here- but I'm thinking that going out the inlet behind their parents back to catch "the big ones" was a common thing for them. They hadn't gotten caught yet... So they go out planning to fish long enough to load up the cooler, intending to be back before anyone knew they were out there and the storm came and whatever happened, happened.

Listen to the initial 911 call from the Father to Jupiter PD. He states several times they had not heard from the boys since they left with the boat to go fishing, and the boys took the boat offshore, out in the ocean. He actually had to correct the dispatcher with the location of the boys / boat, "they are offshore". So by their own admission to LE, the parent's knew the boys went offshore fishing with the boat that day. The only restriction on them was they had to call in by cell-phone every couple of hours to let the parents (Mom) know where they are.

Listen to the initial 911 call from the Father to Jupiter PD. He states several times they had not heard from the boys since they left with the boat to go fishing, and the boys took the boat offshore, out in the ocean. He actually had to correct the dispatcher with the location of the boys / boat, "they are offshore". So by their own admission to LE, the parent's knew the boys went offshore fishing with the boat that day. The only restriction on them was they had to call in by cell-phone every couple of hours to let the parents (Mom) know where they are.

Ohhhh... I don't usually listen to released 911 calls so I didn't listen to it. That's interesting....

They might have known that they went out because someone saw the boys going out and told the parents before they called 911? Didn't the parents say the boys were not allowed to go out, only to be in the inlet? Why would they lie about that?

Your last sentence, about calling in, where did you read that? And isn't it anyway impossible to call in from offshore - someone earlier said there is no reception out there.

Don't mean to sound criticizing, I'm just a bit confused.

BBM

Just jumping off your post.

How did the boys get the boat to the gas station and to the boat launch? Did they haul it there or did someone haul it for them? I don't recall hearing. TIA

BBM

Just jumping off your post.

How did the boys get the boat to the gas station and to the boat launch? Did they haul it there or did someone haul it for them? I don't recall hearing. TIA

I am not sure if it was confirmed, but someone familiar with the area said thag many of the homes have docks in their yards. So the boys might have just taken off from home, no need for a lift anywhere.

YETI just donated $25,000 to the .
f87fe9b9897d625c9f366ebf8e3cbc30.jpg

They went to a dockside gas station; some even float on barges (bait shop/gas). They boated over.

Good to hear about Yeti: we have two yeti coolers. I hate to say it but if a yeti washed up onshore somewhere, someone has a new to them yeti. They get stolen all the time. We cable lock ours wherever we have them.

YETI just donated $25,000 to the .
f87fe9b9897d625c9f366ebf8e3cbc30.jpg

I would bet a lot of people heard of the Yeti brand due to this tragedy. Unintentional advertising, maybe I should say awareness of the brand. My husband and I looked up their coolers on Amazon. Nice!

No, they left the inlet 3 hours before the storm was there. There is a cross current in the inlet...there's water pushing out, but there's also water pushing in. Sometimes you can actually see swirls in the water like a toilet flushing.

Then...there's a break just outside the inlet that creates waves, and the current pushes from the south side of the inlet around to the northern side. There is a huge erosion problem on the south side of the inlet because of that current.

They went out voluntarily. The police dept has video of them leaving the inlet under full power.

To anybody that is familiar with Florida off shore fishing there are a few questions I have been wondering about if anybody knows.

1-How fast does the Gulf Stream current actually move?
Is it like 5 MPH, 10MPH ?

2-What are "shoals" ?

3-What are "breaks" and why do they occur?

4-Are "inlets" kind of dangerous to get out past them to get in the deep water? I always wondered how they get past breaking waves that we see on a beach and wondering how boats can get past them from the Intracoastal out to the deep water without having to go through breaking waves like we see on a beach?

Also just want to add that I can understand the Coast Guard needing to call off the search by now. I started to think about what it would take to free float with just a life jacket on and I realized that you have to constantly do some treading of the water to keep your head up and keep from gulping down sea water.

Whenever the waves would get even a little rough it would mean that you would be bobbing around and unless you do some treading, you would probably constantly be dunked every now and then. Especially if the waves got rough again.

Even on the calmest of seas I dont think you can just hang there without expending a little effort with your arms and legs.

So started to realize that after a few days of that exhaustion would take over and you could not physically be able to take it. You would likely give up and begin to get dunked under and have a few bad swallows of salt water and after a few of those it would basically be the end. Sorry to be so graphic but starting to realize that the Coast Guard is right with their estimates of how long someone can handle it free floating with a life vest.

Which makes me mad. In the Gulf of Mexico everyone 16 and under must wear a life jacket and they will board your boat and check! It's a big fine. We have had our boat boarded more than once when deep sea fishing out at the rigs. Why are rules not the same in the Atlantic?

No...there's no jurisdiction governing the Atlantic per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member