CA CA - Abidjan Ouattara, 24, Inglewood, 3 Aug 2015

TravelingBug

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Two other Special Olympic athletes who have been missing the last two days have been found, but now a third is missing (and the second from Ivory Coast - a teen was lost and found yesterday)

24 year old Abidjan Outtara competed for the Ivory Coast and went missing sometime overnight Monday night.

He was reported missing Tuesday morning at 6:30 am.

CLmZpftUEAAE1e4.jpg

[video=twitter;628702561990672384]https://twitter.com/Inglewood_PD/status/628702561990672384[/video]

As with now located Andi Gusmari (from Albania - we had a WS thread for him) and Sihon Kone (teen also from the Ivory Coast), Abidjan also went missing shortly before the time he was scheduled to depart.

Abidjan was due to fly back to the Ivory Coast on an Air France flight from LAX today - Tuesday - afternoon.

He was last seen at the hotel about 11 pm Monday night on West Century Blvd in Inglewood.

Abidjan speaks only French and they say that he has a physical impairment on his left hand and forearm.

When he was last seen Monday night he had on a white athletic jacket, white pants, a blue or orange shirt, and sandals.

They do not believe he had money or a cell phone.

Really is odd this is the third in as many days, and two from the same team...

Another member of the Ivory Coast Special Olympics team was reported missing today from an Inglewood hotel, the second member of the team to go missing in two days.

<snip>

Another member of the Ivory Coast team, 15-year-old Shion Isimel, disappeared from LAX early Monday morning, prompting a wide-scale search. He was found around 3:40 p.m. Monday sleeping on a lawn in the 600 block of East Hyde Park in Inglewood.

Isimel vanished hours after a 44-year-old Special Olympics athlete from Albania was found safe in Hayward, in the San Francisco Bay area, after disappearing Sunday from USC.

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/articles/lo...lete-from-the-special-13825390/#ixzz3htnvOrFy

Thank you for posting!!! I didn't see this and posted about it in Andi's located thread. I hope Abidjan is found quickly and safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they might need to review their safety and security procedures!

I think they might need to review their safety and security procedures!

I know!

I don't know if we're hearing more b/c it's here this time vs. overseas where it could be in local media and we'd not be apt to hear it unless it was a US athlete missing or what?

Three in so few days, and two from the same country seems crazy though!

I saw one article when the first athlete, Andi Gusmari went missing, that had a Canadian say that they had one coach/chaperone type person for every 4-5 athletes.

But I'm guessing that may likely vary by country and probably isn't a hard and fast rule, and with two missing from the same team in an 18 hour time window their procedures (or lack thereof?) really seem concerning!

It said he was last seen at the LA Adventurer Hotel on West Century Blvd.

Here's their website: http://www.laadventurerhotel.com/

It says all the rooms are suites (which would seem to up the odds he wasn't in a room alone) and it also says there is 24 hour video surveillance.

I'd think that might up the odds they can see which direction he headed and/or if he was alone. :dunno:

It also seems like the Ivory Coast delegation must not have all been traveling together or else that they ALL delayed after Sihon went missing yesterday b/c Sihon went missing at LAX Monday 6 am and was found and returned to his delegation about 6 pm.

Either way, you'd think after their team already had one athlete go missing, that they'd be reinforcing the need to keep an extra close watch on everyone when they eventually traveled again - or when the second group left if Abidjan was in a later departing group and it wasn't a matter of the whole team staying back after the first incident!

The LA organizing committee wants to be sure it doesn't look like they've been negligent with all this, it seems!

Officials with the LA2015 Games Organizing Committee say each delegation was successfully delivered to their requested locations Monday night, whether they went to LAX to return home or to a hotel where they planned to stay past Monday.

&#8220;As of last night, we no longer have any control over the delegations and they are making their own arrangements to stay further as visitors, or to go back to their home countries,&#8221; Jeff Carr, chief operating officer of the LA 2015 Games Organizing Committee, said in a statement.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015...t-special-olympics-athletes-reported-missing/

Who the hell is responsible for these athletes? This is beyond ridiculous! If Mr Outtara wants to claim asylum, or if he's just plain missing, this is shameful. 3 missing in 2 days. Special Olympics need to re-evaluate their procedures ASAP.

I hope he is found safe and well, and I'm genuinely cross about this cluster****.

Do you think that the Special Olympics people are supposed to be responsible for the athletes all day long? That's for the country that brought them, not Special Olympics. They dropped the people off where they belonged, the cluster flub is on someone else.

Hopefully we get a near repeat of how things played out with the first of the three missing athletes (Andi Gusmari from Albania)

Like Abidjan, Andi was reported missing in the morning, having last been seen late the night before.

Then very late the night he had been reported missing, Andi essentially turned himself in and said he was hungry.

Praying we find out in the morning that Abidjan also turned up overnight on the night of the day he had been reported missing!

Reads like they did see him leaving on video since now it's saying he was last seen around 11 leaving his hotel, not at his hotel - plus mentions the surveillance being how they know what he was wearing.

LOS ANGELES &#8212; A search is underway for a second Ivory Coast Special Olympics athlete who vanished near Los Angeles, just hours after his teammate was found safe.

Officials say Abidjan Ouattara was last seen around 11:00 p.m. Monday leaving an Inglewood hotel, where his team had been staying.

The 28-year-old golfer was scheduled to leave Los Angeles on Tuesday afternoon.

A surveillance camera photo shows the French-speaking athlete wearing glasses, a white athletic jacket, white pants and sandals.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/08/05/us/ap-us-special-olympics-missing-athletes-.html

Still missing:

Ouattara Abidjian, Ivory Coast Special Olympics athlete, remains missing, @Inglewood_PD say.
CLrPECsUwAA1N0m.jpg

twitter.com/LarryAltman/status/629042766832513024

I'm starting to think this is not random. All the disappearing athletes have minor physical disabilities, not cognitive ones. Is Abidjan Outtara the only one still missing?

I think there has been an infiltration, perhaps by event or hotel staff or something that connects them all. It seems like someone was luring these gentlemen to some place in Inglewood. One young person left the airport and went back to Inglewood. Why?

I wonder if Abidjan is related to Alassane Outtara?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alassane_Ouattara

Do you think that the Special Olympics people are supposed to be responsible for the athletes all day long? That's for the country that brought them, not Special Olympics. They dropped the people off where they belonged, the cluster flub is on someone else.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...athlete-reported-missing-la-article-1.2315198

"The disappearances athletes are not the first to occur during a Special Olympics competition. Three athletes and a coach from Niger went missing from the games in Ireland in 2003. Two Moroccan athletes and two Dominican Republic athletes disappeared from the games in the Raleigh-Durham area in 1999.

Delegations are required to come with a ratio of one coach to four athletes, and the coaches are responsible for managing their participants, said Jeff Carr, chief operating officer of the Special Olympics World Games Organizing Committee."

I'm starting to think this is not random. All the disappearing athletes have minor physical disabilities, not cognitive ones. Is Abidjan Outtara the only one still missing?

I think there has been an infiltration, perhaps by event or hotel staff or something that connects them all. It seems like someone was luring these gentlemen to some place in Inglewood. One young person left the airport and went back to Inglewood. Why?

Abidjan is the only one still missing.

I don't think there's anything fishy about Inglewood at all. That's basically WHERE LAX is.

If you walk away from the airport you pretty much end up IN Inglewood.

So given that Sihon, the teen athlete from Ivory Coast that was the 2nd of the 3 who went missing, was seen taking off from the airport alone on foot, it's not a huge surprise he'd have been found VERY nearby in Inglewood (less than 5 miles from the airport) given it wasn't a very long time that elapsed between when he went missing and when he was found (about 8 hours).

Also, Sihon is autistic. And I suspect being around here as long as you have been, you've seen the significant number of cases of missing autistic individuals we've had - especially kids and teens - as autism and wandering can be quite common. I don't think there was anything nefarious about it, at least with Sihon.

The Ivory Coast team - as I suspect most were - at least the night before departing, was staying in Inglewood, so again, it's a natural connection with Abijdan's case.

MANY of the hotels that are considered LAX hotels are either in Inglewood or Hawthorne.

Had Andi Gusmari, the first missing athlete, gone missing on Monday, NOT Saturday, he'd have likely also gone missing in Inglewood or Hawthorne, just since that's the natural place for groups who are leaving LAX to stay prior to departing - and thus where teams who left after basically being 'released' from the 'jurisdiction' of the LA Special Olympics Organizing Committee would go.

The only case I suspect there might have been something else going on with is the first - Andi Gusmari - and I think that's even very unlikely.

I highly, highly doubt he's related to the President!

We'd have been hearing it all over the news if he was related to the President of the very country he's missing from!

If he is, it's almost certainly very distantly. But it's actually not a very unique surname.

It's actually been very difficult to try to find much on Abidjan to begin with given his name! :crazy:

His first name is that of the largest city / and the economic and de facto capital of Ivory Coast, and he shares his surname with the President!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back