Chris Hyndman of Steven and Chris has died

This happened in Canada, not Hong Kong, and IMO 3% is incredibly rare.

According to Stats Canada:
Over the past ten years, the most common method of suicide in Canada has been hanging (44%), which includes strangulation and suffocation; followed by poisoning (25%) and firearm use (16%).
("Other" is listed as 15%)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/chart/11696-02-chart2-eng.htm

Again, 3% is a US figure and 51% of suicides there are by gun. In Canada gun deaths are about 16%, so I'll guarantee that other methods a a lot higher. "Other" isn't broken down, so falling could be as much as 10%. And I never said it happened in Hong Kong, I was just pointing out that figures are drastically different based on culture. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Having lived with children who had night terrors and were also sleep walkers, I don't find it so far fetched. My cousin also had a child who was a sleep walker. The man across the street from them (who didn't lock his door at night) woke up at 2:00 am to find this child standing at his bedside staring at him. The child had unlocked her own front door, walked across the street to the house and walked right in. Her parents walked her back home and put her back to bed. She was 4 and had no memory of it. After living it, it doesn't seem so impossible to me.

People who take ambian and similar drugs do very strange things in their sleep. As a nurse, I've seen some bizarre behavior that the patient had no memory of. My friend texted me in her sleep after taking ambien. She had no memory of it and was rather embarrassed.

I think in time we will hear more details. For now, my prayers are with Chris' family and friends.

That story is terrifying! I'm so glad things worked out okay.

People can do all kinds of messed up stuff while taking it, like making online purchases, going for walks, driving their cars, etc. It can be a weird medicine, especially when combined with other meds or alcohol.

- position of the body is consistent with someone climbing over the railing facing inward and falling back. We don't know that emergency responders or LE didn't move the body
- fact that he'd gone to bed then awoke to go over the balcony We don't know he went to bed. We also don't know he went over the balcony. These are things we are ASSUMING based on available info.....but still assumptions
- fact that he is in the highest demographic to commit suicide Logic needs to be applied here.....every man in the 40-59 demographic who dies does not commit suicide
- fact that he had admitted suicidal thoughts in the past This is true, but was 30 years ago.....his situation was extremely different and we don't know if he suffered any mental health problems since
- fact that it happened on the last day of a long weekend (highest ranked suicide day) Experts aren't in consensus on this and again logic needs to be applied.....everyone who dies on the last day of a long weekend will not have committed suicide.
- fact that LE is not looking for any witness' THIS IS TRUE and does indicate they have a good idea of what happened
- fact that media is not questioning or reporting circumstances They may be doing due diligence and only reporting FACTS instead of OPINIONS......once more come to light, we may see more in the media

I'm sure there are other indicators as well, but I'm a good enough sleuth to know that statistically the probability of this being anything but a suicide are minuscule.

BBM - my point is that most of the "evidence" can be interpreted in more than one way......it would be wise to keep an open mind.....

Again, 3% is a US figure and 51% of suicides there are by gun. In Canada gun deaths are about 16%, so I'll guarantee that other methods a a lot higher. "Other" isn't broken down, so falling could be as much as 10%. And I never said it happened in Hong Kong, I was just pointing out that figures are drastically different based on culture. I thought that was pretty obvious.

You were obvious. But I don't know what your point is. Suicide by jumping from a building is rare.
You wondered where I got that info.

Methods of suicide: international suicide patterns derived from the WHO mortality database

Men, Canada, Falls: 4.7%

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/86/9/0042-9686_86_07-043489-table-T1.html

zopiclone is actually a different medication.....also used for sleep, but not a "controlled" drug in Canada like zolpidem.

sorry - hard to take my pharmacist hat off :)

No problem! I appreciate the information. I sometimes take apo-zoplicone and assumed it was Canadian Ambien, but then someone told me it's Canadian Lunesta. :)

What's the "controlled" part mean?

That story is terrifying! I'm so glad things worked out okay.

People can do all kinds of messed up stuff while taking it, like making online purchases, going for walks, driving their cars, etc. It can be a weird medicine, especially when combined with other meds or alcohol.

These two gentlemen were very well off, and no doubt their beautiful home was well protected by a security system. Would there have been video surveillance of the terrace area ? Probably. It might have showed Chris walking to the railing and going over, with no one else involved. That could be why the police are not looking for witnesses, and seem sure that no foul play was involved. If that is the case, suicide, or sleepwalking are both possibilities. I agree that a sleepwalker would likely be wearing his pj's and someone who was going to commit suicide would likely want to be found fully, and well dressed -- especially someone so style conscious as Chris.

Sorry I don't have a link, but I heard last night on the news that the autopsy results will not be made public. Strange.

No problem! I appreciate the information. I sometimes take apo-zoplicone and assumed it was Canadian Ambien, but then someone told me it's Canadian Lunesta. :)

What's the "controlled" part mean?

Lunesta is eszopiclone (the active stereoisomer of zopiclone.....bascially a more "pure" zopiclone) - zopiclone itself isn't available in the US and Lunesta or eszopiclone isn't available in Canada. But essentially the same thing....

Controlled means there are more rules and regulations surrounding the drug as it is governed by the Controlled Drug and Substances Act of Canada http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-38.8/

Why one drug would be targeted or controlled is more of a legal question than a medical one as both zolpidem and zopiclone are considered non-benzodiazepine hypnotic agents, but normally abuse potential is considered along with other factors.

Lunesta is eszopiclone (the active stereoisomer of zopiclone.....bascially a more "pure" zopiclone) - zopiclone itself isn't available in the US and Lunesta or eszopiclone isn't available in Canada. But essentially the same thing....

Controlled means there are more rules and regulations surrounding the drug as it is governed by the Controlled Drug and Substances Act of Canada http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-38.8/

Why one drug would be targeted or controlled is more of a legal question than a medical one as both zolpidem and zopiclone are considered non-benzodiazepine hypnotic agents, but normally abuse potential is considered along with other factors.

Thank you!

Sorry I don't have a link, but I heard last night on the news that the autopsy results will not be made public. Strange.

Maybe that is up to the family, if it is determined no foul play was involved. I think any death that takes place in a home, or public place that does not have medical professionals on site, like a hospital, or a nursing home, requires an autopsy, according to Canadian law. It will no doubt reveal what drugs, if any were in his system. It would probably also reveal if he were suffering from a terminal disease.

She would know better than any of us. She did say in the article that she didn't think he ever got a full nights sleep. Lack of sleep can burn out anyone's "light".
I think it's unfair that people are speculating suicide at this point when there is NOTHING to state he had taken his life. These types of accusations can only make it harder for a spouse and other loved ones to grieve. All they know is that someone they love and care about is now gone forever.

I mentioned early in this thread that i don't KNOW what happened to him and I will await news.
However, as someone else stated, this is what is done at websleuths, we speculate when things are not clear.
I don't believe anyone here is trying to make it harder for his family . I also doubt they are reading this.
I truly believe people here care about the feelings of others, but websleuths discusses cases like this, all kinds of cases like this
And this is just MO

There are two main kinds of sleepwalking: one happens during slow-wave sleep, which could be a sign of sleep apnea, periodic limb movements or even seizures. The other occurs during rapid eye movement or REM sleep, which people are more likely to recall.

Typically, doctors hand patients behavioural and pharmacological therapy. They’re taught to lock doors so they don’t wander outside or stick to a sleep schedule. They may have prescription medication to help them sleep soundly through the evening, too.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2151525/c...ed-to-know-about-the-dangers-of-sleepwalking/

I mentioned early in this thread that i don't KNOW what happened to him and I will await news.
However, as someone else stated, this is what is done at websleuths, we speculate when things are not clear.
I don't believe anyone here is trying to make it harder for his family . I also doubt they are reading this.
I truly believe people here care about the feelings of others, but websleuths discusses cases like this, all kinds of cases like this
And this is just MO

i believe that you are right and noone is intentionally trying to make things harder for the families. There definitely have been cases where family members have been a part of the discussion (Jeffrey Boucher) and we know that LE and families have lurked to gain insight/etc. I love and welcome the discussion that websluethers bring to the table.....makes me question my own theories and arguments.....which i believe is the whole point of the forum. I will admit to getting frustrated when OPINIONS are not stated as such as are conveyed as fact.....MOO or IMO should accompany posts when opinions are being offered.....MOO ;)

I think that is a shame.
He was very loved, had a huge following
Even though it is not our business, speculation will continue, perhaps always

I don't totally discount the sleepwalking theory. But from what I can see, sleepwalkers tend to do things that they would normally do, like cooking, eating, buying things on the internet, or even attempting to drive. So even if they are asleep, on some level they seem to be functioning. They seem to do things that they want to do if that makes sense. For instance, you don't hear of a sleep walker trying to flush his head down a toilet or poring bleach all over themselves. So if he was in fact sleepwalking, wouldn't it make sense that he was still aware on some level that he was committing suicide?

And this is just MO

I know you don't know.
I was responding to your quotes made by his mother. As I wrote, if she says he had a sleepwalking problem then she very well could be right. She is his mother. It may not be the cause of death, but it would be good to at least respect her theory, she knows more than we do. If people are sleuths, then work with this new information instead of rejecting it. I'm not directing this to you, I'm saying this to all of us. Speculation is fine, but when people start presenting it as facts, it can easily start rumours that can be hurtful to those in mourning. Again, I think this is important for all of us to keep in mind.
We can't be so quick to come to a conclusion and make a final decision about his death without knowing more details and having facts specific to his case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn
Back