CO - James Holmes Trial - *Penalty Phase* #4 - LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has those 2nd degree murders, I think 3 of them to sentence. Also, sentence on the devices in the apt. Judge will hand these out. They did not set a time to do these sentences.

Does this mean JH will still has the opportunity to apologize to the victims, friends and family?

I suppose in case the shooter appealed and by some miracle his conviction was overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it was all one trial, hard to imagine. If anything is overturned it wouldn't be the conviction just for the deaths, it would be all of the charges. And then probably either a commutation to LWOP or a new trial (again, hard to imagine). The other sentences are more of a formality.

8340451_G.jpg

Beautiful, simply beautiful, MissHaley! And it's choking me up...

Oh Borndem...you make me laugh sometimes!!!

You are our WS welcome & PR person all wrapped up into one!!

Thank you!

Thank you for the kind words! :blushing:

I also think each in our own way is a "Welcomer" and a PR person! It got me here, and here I yam still!
icon11.png

Does this mean JH will still has the opportunity to apologize to the victims, friends and family?

I don't think so, he refused the opportunity for allocution when the judge asked him.

Hi everyone, I've been watching the trial every day but rarely posting (though occasionally reading).

I agree with you - I believe that's at a separate hearing, though.
It's confusing for me - probably because there are so many victims, but I think we're on the same page here - today is just the life/death sentence for the murders.

BBM~~

In bestest Jimmey intonation> Yep! I did address this in another post upthread..But the breadth and length of HIS carnage is not just those he murdered BUT all the other life long damages he caused all his victims that were injured. Then of course what those people in that Apartment went through as well.

I say..WE are on same page for certain :wave:

I have a lot of respect for these jurors. This has been such a long case. I can't imagine what it would be like to serve on a jury for that long in such a high-profile case, and then not to be able to talk about it with anyone. They are probably going to feel so relieved this weekend knowing that its finally over.

I will respectfully accept and embrace whatever this jury decides. I have my own opinion, but it is not important because I was not a juror sitting in this case. So whatever they decide, I will accept, with thanks that they accepted the tough job and all that came with it. :judge:

I'm not a criminal attorney, but a CO attorney. I believe what the jurors are deciding today is whether JH is eligible for the death penalty based only on the capital charges (25 1st degree murder charges). So then the judge will hold a sentencing hearing to hear from all the victims on all the charges, including the non-DP charges, which will happen later, probably next week.

I don't think so, he refused the opportunity for allocution when the judge asked him.

Hi everyone, I've been watching the trial every day but rarely posting (though occasionally reading).

Hi Geevee - miss your well thought out sleuthing on the CMJA thread - good to see you here!
I think you're right about allocution being his time for apologies, although I think if he wanted to make a statement before sentencing, the judge would likely allow it - however doubtful that may be, IMO

Beautiful, simply beautiful, MissHaley! And it's choking me up...

Me as well. It's especially more meaningful to me since I got to hear their family speak about them. I look at them & know most were either past military or current military. Some had plans to go to important events- AJ was going to orientation to college on 7/21 he was just accepted to. Matt & girlfriend were going to move back to hometown Ohio at the end of the month. Micala was going to her grandmother's the weekend for grandma's b-day. It was Sully's b-day with friends.
Sadness is not a strong enough word.

Just want to say how much I appreciate the existence of Websleuths. It is so wonderful to be able to come here (even if I just mostly lurk) and hang out with others following these cases. The great internet community.

I'm not a criminal attorney, but a CO attorney. I believe what the jurors are deciding today is whether JH is eligible for the death penalty based only on the capital charges (25 1st degree murder charges). So then the judge will hold a sentencing hearing to hear from all the victims on all the charges, including the non-DP charges, which will happen later, probably next week.

They have already decided he is eligible. Today is the decision what he will get on those capital 25 charges.

Does the judge decide whether to accept the recommendation from the jury or is he bound by what they say?

Does the judge decide whether to accept the recommendation from the jury or is he bound by what they say?

What the jury decides. He would give LWOP if they were not unanimous on all the charges.

I wish the Denver channel would start streaming I want to see the courtroom now.

Hi Geevee - miss your well thought out sleuthing on the CMJA thread - good to see you here!
I think you're right about allocution being his time for apologies, although I think if he wanted to make a statement before sentencing, the judge would likely allow it - however doubtful that may be, IMO

Hiya NotMyself, good to see you, and thanks! :) Yeah, I don't think he ever plans on speaking or apologizing but agree the judge would allow it if he were to ask. Now that this is about wrapped up I'll be diving back into the JA videos and posting whatever thoughts I have over there (I have to have something to do indoors with the heatwave going on outside lol).

Lawyer on Denver 7 News (on YouTube) is saying the chances of the shooter actually being executed (if sentenced to death) is very slight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members