FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that the other day when I read a few things on that page on Facebook. Also... SM rumor has it "one of the parents are suing the boat owner". If true that could be why they haven't been in the media lately.

Please help clarify something for me - who owned the boat that Austin and Perry took out on July 24? I did not realize it wasnt owned by one of the boys' family.

Who's the boat owner? The parents of Austin or Perry? Or do you mean the company that makes the boat? Anyway, I don't know much about lawsuits but it seems like I always hear about them being filed a year or so after the incident, so I always figured there was this lengthy process one had to go through. So it has to be the beginning stages, and it may not even be true, but if it is, the backlash will be off the charts.

I'm not sure but I did see a video of Austin's grandfather who said he bought the boat for Austin around a month ago.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/exclusive-grandfather-of-missing-teen-talks-with-wpbf-25/34406962

ETA: I don't know how old you have to be to own a boat or if Austin was old enough. I'm guessing if he didn't own it maybe his grandfather or one of his parents did.

Who's the boat owner? The parents of Austin or Perry? Or do you mean the company that makes the boat? Anyway, I don't know much about lawsuits but it seems like I always hear about them being filed a year or so after the incident, so I always figured there was this lengthy process one had to go through. So it has to be the beginning stages, and it may not even be true, but if it is, the backlash will be off the charts.

Please help clarify something for me - who owned the boat that Austin and Perry took out on July 24? I did not realize it wasnt owned by one of the boys' family.

I think what was meant is that they want to sue the owner of the other boat that was coming in when Austin and Perry were going out. I could be wrong though.

The boat belongs to one of the boys afaik.

I think what was meant is that they want to sue the owner of the boat that was coming in when Austin and Perry were going out.

The boat belongs to one of the boys afaik.

I'm confused. Why would they want to sue the guy who was coming in off the ocean? That makes no sense.

I'm confused. Why would they want to sue the guy who was coming in off the ocean? That makes no sense.

I don't know.

But Austin was the boat owner, obviously they don't want to sue the owner of that boat. So I understood it to mean, because the guy who saw them going out did nothing to warn them, they want to sue him. But, as I said I could be wrong.

There is video of a boat out on the ocean not much later. I will see if I can find it.

Are you are referring to one of the earlier posts, in which a couple of guys, in a larger boat, are heading back in, and you can already see how bad the conditions are? This was before the storm actually hit, and yet the sea was already rough enough to be giving them a tough time getting their larger boat back to shore.
I was going to try and help you look for that post, but couldn't remember about when it was posted.
Is there any way to do a Search on this site?

Are you are referring to one of the earlier posts, in which a couple of guys, in a larger boat, are heading back in, and you can already see how bad the conditions are? This was before the storm actually hit, and yet the sea was already rough enough to be giving them a tough time getting their larger boat back to shore.
I was going to try and help you look for that post, but couldn't remember about when it was posted.

Nola, do you mean the video in post 734?

I saw that the other day when I read a few things on that page on Facebook. Also... SM rumor has it "one of the parents are suing the boat owner". If true that could be why they haven't been in the media lately.

At least sometimes when there is an accidental death, the life insurance company will sue to recover their loss (family would have no say in the litigation). It seems early for that, but its possible it's actually the insurance company, not the parents. Of course, that would require a death certificate for the insurance filing... just pondering...

I wonder if there will be a waiting period for the death certificate to be filed, or if it has already been done since it is sadly obvious they are gone.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Look on pg. 67, post #997. I think this is the video.

The shot is facing east. The storm is coming from the west. Hence, that view looks nice and sunny. But the reality was there was a wicked storm behind the camera.

Most summer storms come from the west down here.

At the beginning of the video it looks like the camera is pointing north up the coastline then pans towards the east. Also the newscaster says clouds moved in off the ocean. My point is, the conditions in the video don't really match the reports of the other boats coming in as they were going out because conditions were so bad at the time. Maybe that exclusive video really isn't them.

The boat the boys were in was owned by them.
The boat owner there is talk of suing is a fisherman who had just come in seeing that the storm was brewing.
He made a comment to the news media about "how he was wondering what these kids were thinking, when everyone else saw the storm coming and were coming In and they were goingOut"

Seems some think he should have told the boys to turn around--Yea like it isn't tough enough to maneuver that inlet they should have time to pull some kids over and have a chat. Maybe they should sue the Weather Service because they did not call the boys specifically and tell them not to go out there was a storm brewing,

Funny how these boys " who swam before they walked and grew up on boats their whole life and were experts at boating and survival at sea" did not think the storm approaching and seeing other vessels coming in could have been a danger bell going off. No of course not it was someone else's fault (anyone else's fault ) now that they have been found not to be as skillful as they were thought to be.

How about knowing a lot about fishing, cooking and cleaning them but not so much about the dangers and safety measures needed to be on a boat to get those fish. I sure hope this is just mis-reporting.

At the beginning of the video it looks like the camera is pointing north up the coastline then pans towards the east. Also the newscaster says clouds moved in off the ocean. My point is, the conditions in the video don't really match the reports of the other boats coming in as they were going out because conditions were so bad at the time. Maybe that exclusive video really isn't them.

The newscaster is an idiot. The storms that day were definitely moving west to east.

As a born and bred South Floridian, it looks to me like there is a storm just off camera to the left. The color of the sky is a tell tale sign for me. It would make me run for cover.

At least sometimes when there is an accidental death, the life insurance company will sue to recover their loss (family would have no say in the litigation). It seems early for that, but its possible it's actually the insurance company, not the parents. Of course, that would require a death certificate for the insurance filing... just pondering...

I wonder if there will be a waiting period for the death certificate to be filed, or if it has already been done since it is sadly obvious they are gone.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Sadly obvious to those of us who follow cases like this, the (real) seasoned fishermen, and those who know the ocean. It doesn't appear it's so obvious to the families of the boys and over a quarter million folks on SM. Those folks are detached from reality and it's extremely sad.

For those of you who are criticizing the parents of the boys you must stop.

These families are living in hell now and they don't need strangers posting on a board (that is read by people from all over the world)
about what they could've done.

It's like taking a knife and stabbing their hearts again and again.

Your words have power. You get to shut down your computer and all of this goes away but not for the parents. Their nightmare continues.

Please stop.
Tricia

Someone posted a photo today of a cloud that sorta kinda looks like a dolphin and said it was a sign from God that the two boys are being protected by a pod of dolphins. WTH???

The newscaster is an idiot. The storms that day were definitely moving west to east.

ITA. Here's a youtube radar link that shows the coast on 7/24/15 from 12:00-5:00pm. It shows the storm front blowing in west to east (be sure to pick out Jupiter):

https://youtu.be/Dua_Nw2now8

Also notice how long the storm stays together at sea after leaving the coast. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie