The 911 Call

Jbrown324320

Reaction score
Here is the transcript of the 911 call.

911 emergency
This is Merlin Jerzak from *advertiser censored* Kiwi Court in St Joe, right in the Township. I am right now next door to my neighbor’s, at my neighbors, the Jerry Wetterling family. Some of their boys went down to Tom Thumb to pick up a movie and on their way back, someone stopped them and uh we believe that they have one of the boys because one of the boys did not come back with them. Ok, were they picked up in a vehicle? Pardon I can’t hear you? Were they picked up in a vehicle? Just a second, I will ask (asks boys). They didn’t see a vehicle. This person appeared on the road uh when they were bicycling back home. OK, and they don’t know where their brother and friend is at? They don’t know where their brother and friend is at. OK, so we are missing two people? Just missing one. One? OK. Did they see the individuals at all? Yes they did (asks the boys). He had a mask on. He had a mask on? Right. The other dispatch right now is dispatching a squad to where you are at right now, OK? In the meantime I just want to get as much information as I can. What is your name again sir? My name is Merlin Jerzak (spells name). OK, what is your home phone number Merlin? I have where you are at and everything. (Gives home phone #), but I am at my neighbor’s… and that’s Dr. Jerry Wetterling? That is Dr Jerry Wetterling. How old is the individual that has not returned? (asks boys how old Jacob is). Eleven. Ok, Jacob, it’s Jacob, right? Yes, Jacob, Jacob Wetterling. OK, what was Jacob last seen wearing? (asks the boys). Just a minute. OK. He was wearing a red hockey jacket that had “police department” on it. And it has his name on it. Police department written on back? (asks boys to confirm Police department on back? In white letters?) In white letters. Where was the last contact made? Pardon? Where was the last time they seen Jacob? Where were they at about? (asks boys) It was uh right at the uh Urban Schriefels uh house. OK, give me an idea where that is. Do you know where Dr. Cotton’s office is? Yes, it’s uh about approximately a quarter of a mile up ah South from the clinic. OK, it would be about a quarter of a mile up South of? Dr. Cotton and child clinic. Hang on a second, OK? (relays all info gathered to dispatch party: male party did have a mask on … 11 year old Jacob. wearing red hockey jacket with white lettering on back, “police department” across the back). Was Jacob riding a bike? (asks boys). Yeah, he was riding his ten speed bike.
(operator relays info over scanner: no vehicle was seen, party approached them on foot, was riding bike, not known where bicycle is at this time. He made contact with individual approximately 1/2 mile south of Dr. Cotton’s dental clinic on 95th Ave. Where are the …. at this time? XXXX Kiwi Ct. gives address and directions to Wetterling’s house).
Can you? Merlin? Yeah. Give me information on this guy with the mask? I want color, anything those kids can remember. OK by the way, I don’t have a house number on my house. You are at the neighbors place though right? I am at the Wetterlings. I have a fire number. My fire number is *advertiser censored* and theirs is, uh. I am right next door, and mine is *advertiser censored*. Do the Wetterling’s have a house number on there? No they don’t, but they are right next door to mine. Um I think that my best bet is to let Trevor get on the phone here and he can describe to you what he saw and this type of thing. OK, hang on just a second (talks about fire numbers and location) OK, I am ready. OK, I will put Trevor on and he can, he can answer your questions. OK. We have him pretty well calmed down here. OK. Hello? Trevor? Yeah. You are talking to the sheriff’s office ok? Mmhmm. I want you to give me anything you can recall about this male party that approached you guys, ok? Well, he was, he was like, kind of, he was like a man. He was kind of like… He was large? Sort of. OK. He had like uh kind of like looks like these nylon things, as a mask. Do you know what color it was? Black. A black mask? Do you know what color jacket he had on? I think it was black too. Ok. Did you notice any jeans or anything? Yeah, just a second (asking others inaudible) Trevor, do you know what happened to your friend’s bicycle? Um no, we don’t know. Nobody knows what happened to that? Cause we had to just like run off into the woods. OK, you guys ran off into the woods but nobody knows what happened to Jacob, right? Yeah. OK. Can you think of anything else? Did the guy have… What? Did the guy have like a deep voice or anything like that you could remember? (Trevor asks others) It was very cold(?) OK, can you tell me, how big, compared to your dad or somebody how big would you say this guy was. He was about the size of Merle, the guy you were just talking to. OK, same height, same weight? Yeah. OK. Do you remember, and he had on a black mask and a black jacket. Do you know if the jacket was leather or nylon, did it have anything written on it? We couldn’t tell because it was so dark. OK. Can I talk to Merlin again real quick? Thank you. Yes? Merlin, how big are you? (laughs) OK, uh I am about 195 pounds and 5’10”. I know that’s hard for kids to pinpoint, but I have to try to figure out who he looks like. I am keeping you guys on hold because I am trying to talk to the officers at the same time, OK? So hang on just a second. (describes perpetrator over dispatch radio mask, approximately 195 pounds, 5’10” wearing a black mask and a black jacket). Your number is Adam John, right? AJ? Pardon? Your fire number is AJ 80? Right. (Merlin talks to boys- did the guy tell you guys to run into the woods?) Where are the woods at that the kids ran into? OK, it is a little bit to the south of Urban Schriefel’s um house. And, um ah it runs for about a quarter of a mile west. OK, I am hoping if Jacob would have ran into the woods or something if would have gotten lost or something. Do they know if he actually had contact with Jacob or anything like that? Yes, they just told me that the guy had a hold of Jacob and told them to run into the woods. Told the other two boys to run into the woods. Did they see any weapons at all or anything like that? Guns? Knives? He had a pistol. (operator relays info to police radio individual did have some type of hand gun). Can I talk to Trevor again? Yes, hold on. OK. Hello? Trevor, did you see the gun the individual had? Um, we couldn’t really see it, but we just, we sort of fell. OK, did he threaten you..? (Cut off) OK, do you guys see squad cars outside the residence? Um, what? There should be a squad…, can I talk to Merlin again? Yeah, I think the squad is at my house. Is it far? OK, can you guys open up the door and yell out to them. Yeah. OK I will tell them to go…, are you north or which direction are you from where the spot is? Um, South. Hold on. Merlin? (relays info about address on police radio). I got officer Bechtold in the house. OK. He is going to finish off the call from that end now, OK. More than likely we will be coming out with some dogs and stuff, OK? OK, good. Thank you very much. OK.

The audio link to the 911 call is no longer online. But here is the transcript originally made by our poster JBrown324320. (I have separated the 911 operator and Merle/Trevor so it is easier to read.)

Here is the transcript of the 911 call.

911 emergency
This is Merlin Jerzak from *advertiser censored* Kiwi Court in St Joe, right in the Township. I am right now next door to my neighbor’s, at my neighbors, the Jerry Wetterling family. Some of their boys went down to Tom Thumb to pick up a movie and on their way back, someone stopped them and uh, we believe that they have one of the boys because one of the boys did not come back with them.
Ok, were they picked up in a vehicle?
Pardon I can’t hear you?
Were they picked up in a vehicle?
Just a second, I will ask (asks boys). They didn’t see a vehicle. This person appeared on the road, uh, when they were bicycling back home.
OK, and they don’t know where their brother and friend is at?
They don’t know where their brother and friend is at.
OK, so we are missing two people?
Just missing one.
One? OK. Did they see the individuals at all?
Yes they did (asks the boys). He had a mask on.
He had a mask on?
Right.
The other dispatch right now is dispatching a squad to where you are at right now, OK? In the meantime I just want to get as much information as I can. What is your name again sir?
My name is Merlin Jerzak (spells name).
OK, what is your home phone number Merlin? I have where you are at and everything.
(Gives home phone #), but I am at my neighbor’s…
and that’s Dr. Jerry Wetterling?
That is Dr Jerry Wetterling.
How old is the individual that has not returned?
(asks boys how old Jacob is). Eleven.
Ok, Jacob, it’s Jacob, right?
Yes, Jacob, Jacob Wetterling.
OK, what was Jacob last seen wearing?
(asks the boys). Just a minute. OK. He was wearing a red hockey jacket that had “police department” on it. And it has his name on it.
Police department written on back?
(asks boys to confirm) Police department on back. In white letters.
In white letters. Where was the last contact made?
Pardon?
Where was the last time they seen Jacob? Where were they at about?
(asks boys) It was, uh, right at the, uh, Urban Schriefels, uh, house.
OK, give me an idea where that is.
Do you know where Dr. Cotton’s office is? Yes, it’s, uh, about approximately a quarter of a mile up, ah, South from the clinic.
OK, it would be about a quarter of a mile up South of? Dr. Cotton and child clinic. Hang on a second, OK? (relays all info gathered to dispatch party: male party did have a mask on … 11 year old Jacob. wearing red hockey jacket with white lettering on back, “police department” across the back).
Was Jacob riding a bike?
(asks boys). Yeah, he was riding his ten speed bike.
(operator relays info over scanner: no vehicle was seen, party approached them on foot, was riding bike, not known where bicycle is at this time. He made contact with individual approximately 1/2 mile south of Dr. Cotton’s dental clinic on 95th Ave. Where are the boys at this time? XXXX Kiwi Ct. - gives address and directions to Wetterling’s house.)
Can you? Merlin?
Yeah.
Give me information on this guy with the mask? I want color, anything those kids can remember.
OK by the way, I don’t have a house number on my house.
You are at the neighbors place though right?
I am at the Wetterlings. I have a fire number. My fire number is *advertiser censored* and theirs is, uh. I am right next door, and mine is *advertiser censored*.
Do the Wetterling’s have a house number on there?
No they don’t, but they are right next door to mine. Um, I think that my best bet is to let Trevor get on the phone here and he can describe to you what he saw and this type of thing.
OK, hang on just a second (talks about fire numbers and location) OK, I am ready.
OK, I will put Trevor on and he can, he can answer your questions.
OK.
We have him pretty well calmed down here.
OK. Hello? Trevor?
Yeah.
You are talking to the sheriff’s office, ok?
Mmhmm.
I want you to give me anything you can recall about this male party that approached you guys, ok?
Well, he was, he was like, kind of, he was like a man. He was kind of like…
He was large?
Sort of.
OK.
He had like, uh, kind of like looks like these nylon things, as a mask.
Do you know what color it was?
Black.
A black mask? Do you know what color jacket he had on?
I think it was black too.
Ok. Did you notice any jeans or anything?
Yeah, just a second (asking others inaudible)
Trevor, do you know what happened to your friend’s bicycle?
Um no, we don’t know.
Nobody knows what happened to that?
Cause we had to just like run off into the woods.
OK, you guys ran off into the woods but nobody knows what happened to Jacob, right?
Yeah.
OK. Can you think of anything else? Did the guy have…
What?
Did the guy have like a deep voice or anything like that you could remember?
(Trevor asks others) It was like he had a cold.
OK, can you tell me, how big, compared to your dad or somebody how big would you say this guy was.
He was about the size of Merle, the guy you were just talking to.
OK, same height, same weight?
Yeah.
OK. Do you remember, and he had on a black mask and a black jacket. Do you know if the jacket was leather or nylon, did it have anything written on it?
We couldn’t tell because it was so dark.
OK. Can I talk to Merlin again real quick? Thank you.
Yes?
Merlin, how big are you?
(laughs) OK, uh I am about 195 pounds and 5’10”.
I know that’s hard for kids to pinpoint, but I have to try to figure out who he looks like. I am keeping you guys on hold because I am trying to talk to the officers at the same time, OK? So hang on just a second. (describes perpetrator over dispatch radio mask, approximately 195 pounds, 5’10” wearing a black mask and a black jacket).
Your number is Adam John, right? AJ?
Pardon?
Your fire number is AJ XX?
Right. (Merlin talks to boys - did the guy tell you guys to run into the woods?)
Where are the woods at that the kids ran into?
OK, it is a little bit to the south of Urban Schriefel’s, um, house. And, um ah, it runs for about a quarter of a mile west.
OK, I am hoping if Jacob would have ran into the woods or something if would have gotten lost or something. Do they know if he actually had contact with Jacob or anything like that?
Yes, they just told me that the guy had a hold of Jacob and told them to run into the woods.
Told the other two boys to run into the woods. Did they see any weapons at all or anything like that? Guns? Knives?
He had a pistol.
(operator relays info to police radio individual did have some type of hand gun). Can I talk to Trevor again?
Yes, hold on.
OK.
Hello?
Trevor, did you see the gun the individual had?
Um, we couldn’t really see it, but we just, we sort of fell?? / felt it?? (Can't hear last part)
OK, did he threaten you..? (Cut off) OK, do you guys see squad cars outside the residence?
Um, what?
There should be a squad…, can I talk to Merlin again?
Yeah, I think the squad is at my house.
Is it far? OK, can you guys open up the door and yell out to them.
Yeah.
OK I will tell them to go…, are you north or which direction are you from where the spot is?
Um, South. Hold on.
Merlin? (relays info about address on police radio).
I got officer Bechtold in the house.
OK. He is going to finish off the call from that end now, OK? More than likely we will be coming out with some dogs and stuff, OK?
OK, good. Thank you very much.
OK.

(Dr. Cotton's office was originally at the end of 95th/16th when you turned south from Minnesota Street to go toward the abduction spot. It is now a block further west.)

Interesting how 911 kept this call yet destroyed DR's call just a couple hours later. You would think EVERY phone call coming into 911 after this call from Urban would have been saved.

and if they destroyed the recording how is it known exactly what time it was made?

Interesting how 911 kept this call yet destroyed DR's call just a couple hours later. You would think EVERY phone call coming into 911 after this call from Urban would have been saved.

Just a small correction, it was Merlin (the Wetterling's neighbor) who made the 911 call.

What strikes me every time I read is that Trevor was not specific about the gun and Merlin says pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was so dark that the boys couldn't make out clothing or any descriptions other than black. How did they see him grab Jacob by the arm?

If it was so dark that the boys couldn't make out clothing or any descriptions other than black. How did they see him grab Jacob by the arm?

He probably grabbed jacob by the arm just as the second boy was told to run. I think the second boy caught a glance back from 0 to 10 feet away to see it happen.

What strikes me every time I read is that Trevor was not specific about the gun and Merlin says pistol

In a different context I too would attach a lot to this detail.

However, I imagine Merle heard the boys [no doubt flabbergasted] story and then translated it into something other adults like the 911 operator could understand. 'Pistol' probably just fit the mental image Merle had already started to build based on what the boys had quickly told him.

The main alternative to 'pistol' would be 'rifle' - don't you think the two boys (witnesses) would be able to clarify pretty quickly if it was a larger/longer gun like a rifle and not a handheld gun like a pistol?

Do we know if one 911 operator fielded both calls from Merlin and Dan? How come this person has never been interviewed for any of the shows on Jacob?

Theres a few things i dont get first who is merlin jerzak ? If this merlin person is a neighbour how did they know there had even been a abduction ? Also if merlin was at the wetterlings why were they not the ones to call 911 and from that transcript i dont see the parents saying anything just what he keeps asking the boys and who called 911 later and how was it messed up by the operator ? I really wish there was some where that we could go to so i could listen to that 911 to hear the tone of the whole thing..on a seperate note this guy had to of had a car somewhere i mean how else could he have gotten jacob and the bike out of that area so he must of had a car anyway just some thoughts i had let me know what you think..

Theres a few things i dont get first who is mj ? If this merlin person is a neighbour how did they know there had even been a abduction ? Also if merlin was at the wetterlings why were they not the ones to call 911 and from that transcript i dont see the parents saying anything just what he keeps asking the boys and who called 911 later and how was it messed up by the operator ? I really wish there was some where that we could go to so i could listen to that 911 to hear the tone of the whole thing..on a seperate note this guy had to of had a car somewhere i mean how else could he have gotten jacob and the bike out of that area so he must of had a car anyway just some thoughts i had let me know what you think..
MJ is the father of the babysitter who was watching Jacob's sister.

The Wetterlings never imagined that a man in a mask would be waiting for the boys in the dark of their dead-end street and order them off their bikes at gunpoint. Visiting the scene for the first time since the abduction, Patty breaks down as Jerry describes what happened. "He told them to lie face down in the gutter," says Jerry. "Then he asked them their ages. He told Trevor to run into the field or he'd shoot. Then he had Aaron turn over, and he looked at his face and told him to run. He grabbed hold of Jacob."

The two boys ran the remaining half mile to the Wetterlings' house, where RJ, a neighbor who was baby-sitting Jacob's sister C, 8 (Jacob's older sister Amy, 13, was visiting a friend), called home. R's father, M, dialed 911 and then called the Wetterlings—thereby setting in motion the extraordinary effort to get Jacob back.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20115979,00.html

Theres a few things i dont get first who is merlin jerzak ? If this merlin person is a neighbour how did they know there had even been a abduction ? Also if merlin was at the wetterlings why were they not the ones to call 911 and from that transcript i dont see the parents saying anything just what he keeps asking the boys and who called 911 later and how was it messed up by the operator ? I really wish there was some where that we could go to so i could listen to that 911 to hear the tone of the whole thing..on a seperate note this guy had to of had a car somewhere i mean how else could he have gotten jacob and the bike out of that area so he must of had a car anyway just some thoughts i had let me know what you think..

No one took the bikes.

The parents were not home.

There are a lot of media links for the story

The gun realky seems nebulous,Not sure if it exists

The gun realky seems nebulous,Not sure if it exists

With how dark it was, who knows, it could have been a bb gun, or even a toy gun. I doubt the boys would have known the difference under the circumstances.

Fullmoon, do you think this perp was Jareds perp?

There's a thread for discussing DR. This is the reason for the child boards. Please take your DR related discussions there.

A few things could solve the case but the biggest things would be a confession, DNA evidence or a body. It sounds like they might have some type of DNA evidence waiting on further testing and on the confession I often wonder what DR will do if anything once his parents are no longer around....and assuming he is the perp of course. In a couple of his interviews I get the impression that he is severely obedient of his parents.

Fullmoon, do you think this perp was Jareds perp?

Dexter75, that is a good question. Just a gut feeling, but I don't think the perp is the same. It is intriguing that in both cases, the perp told the boys to run away as fast as they could or he would shoot them, and that the perp was described as having a low, raspy voice. I wonder if Jacob's abduction was a copycat crime. If Jared's assault was reported in the media at the time, it may have included a description of what the perp said to him, and a description of his voice. It would give the illusion that the perps were the same. It would throw off LE thinking Jacob's perp was from the immediate vicinity of the abduction site. I think the low, raspy voice of Jacob's abductor is a disguise and not his real voice. He was disguised to the gills. Too worried the boys would recognize him. Why would he use his real voice? If there was no article in the newspaper at the time regarding Jared's assault, however, I would be hard pressed to explain how the perps are different.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back