GA - 103 Yr old woman banned from lifelong church

Steft50

Having Fun
Reaction score
I thought this would be interesting to see the thoughts of others. I'll be honest and say I'm not a religious person and the reason why I left all organized religion is because of men like the one here who calls himself a Preacher. Needless to say that isn't what I would call him. This woman has attended this church since she was 11 years old. Her father was one of the founders. Would be very nice to see her feel comfortable in her place of worship again. In my day doing something like this just wasn't done. I was taught the church, any church, would never turn someone away from it's doors.

http://www.fox29.com/news/19886897-story

Awwww. Faux Christians modeling crap beliefs. How oppressive.

People like this are why people who are true Christians get a bad name.

I'm not religious, but this is dirty pool.

I am a person of Christian faith. And I extend the message of Christ's love to EVERYONE. Even those narrow-thinking dbags who really don't deserve it. Because, truly, I don't deserve grace either, but I have been given it.

I am a Christian. Not a narrow-minded hatemonger. Two separate things which nowadays get lumped together and I understand why.

Wow. Membership revoked from a church. I never heard of such a thing. So much for being inclusive. And calling the police on a 103 yr old woman...
They should really be ashamed of their actions.
Maybe she could go with the members that have left but she wants to stay. Maybe someone higher up will investigate as to why this is happening with the members leaving and one being told not to come back. I hope so.

IMO

I thought the pastor's name would be Richard Head but I was wrong. ;)

sheesh, some people!

Wow. Membership revoked from a church. I never heard of such a thing. So much for being inclusive. And calling the police on a 103 yr old woman...
Maybe she could go with the members that have left but she wants to stay. Maybe someone higher up will investigate as to why this is happening with the members leaving and one being told not to come back. I hope so.

IMO

Lol, yeah, maybe someone higher up is investigating. Someone much higher up ;) I'm not religious at all but I believe in karma.

I was raised Catholic where something like this wouldn't fly. If we don't want you at Mass on Sunday we will whisper and stare until you feel so uncomfortable you have to start attending on Saturday nights instead.

Truthfully though I've never seen this happen and it's terrible!! She's 103!

The disagreement came to a head early in August when Rev. Mattox sent Biggs a letter stating that she could no longer attend church there “for any reason what so ever.”

What a shepherd he is.

Lol, yeah, maybe someone higher up is investigating. Someone much higher up ;) I'm not religious at all but I believe in karma.

Is there someone above him or is this one of those independent churches?

Lol...whatever it takes. I also believe in Karma...not sure about the other. I go back and forth on that. I just know if someone had treated my elderly family members like that,or if I was around while anyone was treated that way...heads would roll.
For someone to reach that advanced age and to be treated so badly...ugh.
IMO

Dunno, but presumably a pastor would believe that God is the big boss.

I meant could she go above his head to argue her case, like to the Bishop. Maybe she could take it up with whoever comes before this guy in the chain of command in their religion.

I meant could she go above his head to argue her case, like to the Bishop. Maybe she could take it up with whoever comes before this guy in the chain of command in their religion.

That's what I was thinking as well. Someone higher up on the chain. I did find just a bit more background but wasn't able to find an actual link to the church.
Granted I didn't have time to search long.
The video interview says that Genora Hamm Biggs was a teacher for 40 yrs and the pastor was a former student of hers.
Also her family were founders of the church.
Former members ( one a former Deacon of the church) support her impressions of the pastor.

http://www.wfxg.com/story/30027379/103-year-old-woman-banned-from-church

IMO

It is a Baptist Church. There are a number or independent Baptists that simply reject the notion of any higher ups. Authority is direct from God to the minister.

I have no idea how Baptist churches (Or any churches for that matter) work, but if so many people dislike a pastor that they leave the church or file a complaint is it possible to fire a pastor? This dude sounds like a wackadoodle, having people yelling and convulsing on the ground... Is he one of those televised evangelist?

Rabbis can be fired. They report to a board of temple members of their congregation, so I don't see why not??

Dunno, but presumably a pastor would believe that God is the big boss.

What kind of pastor thinks it's acceptable to kick out a church member like this? If people are leaving the church and he's kicking people out he needs to go.

I feel bad for her. :(

There's definitely not enough information for me to have a opinion on this. Everything reported so far is very vague.

Is the pastor more progressive and she is old school? I have no idea! I can't form a opinion on the little that has been reported so far.

http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015...old-stay-out-church-after-92-years-attendance

The core of the problem, according to Biggs, is that Union Grove Baptist has been a Baptist church throughout its history. However, she described Mattox as a holiness preacher with a different doctrine.

“He is a holy sanctified minister or so he says. We voted him in and we didn’t know it until he was there. We are Baptists and that’s what we want to stay,” Biggs said.
===

It sounds like the Holiness doctrine is maybe Pentecostal.

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Pentecostal

http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015...old-stay-out-church-after-92-years-attendance

The core of the problem, according to Biggs, is that Union Grove Baptist has been a Baptist church throughout its history. However, she described Mattox as a holiness preacher with a different doctrine.

“He is a holy sanctified minister or so he says. We voted him in and we didn’t know it until he was there. We are Baptists and that’s what we want to stay,” Biggs said.
===

I thought I heard a snip in the video about rolling on the ground or something like that. You may be right. I would still like to hear more considering there were so many signatures on that piece of paper.

It would really be bad if a bunch of "holly rollers" came into town and took over the church that her and her family were a huge part of.

===

Sounds like they didn't vet him well-enough. But if he can be hired by someone from this church, why can't he be fired? Doesn't sound right to be banning members for not liking the new direction it's going, especially when she is 103. What happened to respect for your elders???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back