Principal Withholds Student Election Results for lack of Diversity

Elley Mae

Reaction score
San Francisco middle school principal withholds releasing election results because winners are not diverse enough

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ction-results-winners-not-diverse-enough.html

In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve. But Everett Middle School in San Francisco is not exactly a democracy, and Principal Lena Van Haren withheld publication of the results of a student council election because she didn’t like the outcome—too many of the winners were white.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/20/school-principal-withheld-student-counci

Van Haren believes this social engineering can be a learning experience, but some parents say she is undermining the democratic process.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...ent-election-results-not-diverse-enough-video

S.F. principal delays vote results, saying winners aren’t diverse

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-principal-middle-school-election-winners-6578286.php

When San Francisco middle school principal Lena Van Haren saw which kids on her campus had been elected to the student council, she was disturbed at the lack of diversity among the winners.

bbm

Eighty percent of the children who attend Everett Middle School in the Mission District are students of color and Lena Van Haren was alarmed no Latino or black candidates were chosen for the top council spots.

She also scheduled a meeting with all the student candidates to discuss ways to make the results more representative of the student body and brought up the possibility of adding new council positions, according to KTVU.

The principal said: 'I'm very hopeful this can be a learning experience and actually be something that embodied our vision which is to help students make positive change.

'We're not nullifying the election, we're not cancelling the election and we're not saying this didn't count.'

I'm impressed she's jumping right in to deal with this. School is for learning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ction-results-winners-not-diverse-enough.html

We have come full circle. Trying so hard to avoid racism and exclusion that the situation has become racist and exclusive. Good job, PC Principal.

What exactly were they supposed to learn from this?

The importance of diversity and representation in government. The benefits we gain by being inclusive. The value people have that goes beyond race and status. How to manage in the real world where they will encounter people who are different from them. Self-awareness.

Eighty percent of the students are of color, the students are who voted. Maybe the students have achieved color-blind status, and vote for who they like or who they think would do the best job.
Reverse discrimination is discrimination. Get a lawyer.

The importance of diversity and representation in government. The benefits we gain by being inclusive. The value people have that goes beyond race and status. How to manage in the real world where they will encounter people who are different from them. Self-awareness.

How did they learn that, exactly? It's an election. You can vote for whoever you want to vote. Unless there are problems with the voting process (and there is no suggestion of that), they elected who they wanted.

How did they learn that, exactly? It's an election. You can vote for whoever you want to vote. Unless there are problems with the voting process (and there is no suggestion of that), they elected who they wanted.

This is what I'm referring to, and I agree with the principal:

The principal said: 'I'm very hopeful this can be a learning experience and actually be something that embodied our vision which is to help students make positive change.

The results are not being thrown out, simply addressed. Why would that be a problem? Why isn't okay to discuss diversity and representation and inclusiveness? If I were the principal I would want to address those issues after something like this, especially considering the way the vote went. If 80% of the student body is POC, why did they all vote for white kids? What's wrong with asking the question and ensuring students are treated fairly and have equal opportunities?

This is an election in a school for the student body. No one is tossing the results and no government is being overthrown.

If she thinks racism is at play, here is what she needs to do: Hold a mock election where only the students of color vote. If they still vote for all white kids, hold some sort of "exit poll" with the students of color and ask them WHY they voted the way they did. I'm not really clear on what she thinks the mechanism at work here is....does she think white kids were threatening the minority kids or stuffing the ballot box?

In my experience it's all a big popularity contest at that age anyway. My son is the whitest kid on earth and he never gets elected to anything because he's overweight and kids think he's a dork. Personally I think fat, dorky kids are underrepresented in student government, but no one gives a damn about that! :giggle:

It sounds like the principal was unhappy with the results not the students. Instead of griping about election results, she should encourage kids from different races to run for office or maybe they did idk.

I'm not sure what the teaching moment is - other than you should vote for people of your race - ridiculous.

If she thinks racism is at play, here is what she needs to do: Hold a mock election where only the students of color vote. If they still vote for all white kids, hold some sort of "exit poll" with the students of color and ask them WHY they voted the way they did. I'm not really clear on what she thinks the mechanism at work here is....does she think white kids were threatening the minority kids or stuffing the ballot box?

In my experience it's all a big popularity contest at that age anyway. My son never gets elected to anything because he's overweight and kids think he's a dork. Personally I think fat, dorky kids are underrepresented in student government, but no one gives a damn about that! :giggle:

I don't think it's clear because she doesn't know what the reasons are, which is why she's doing what she's doing. I really don't see what the big deal about her noticing this and wanting to address it is.

She's the principal and that's her job.

This is what I'm referring to, and I agree with the principal:

The results are not being thrown out, simply addressed. Why would that be a problem? Why isn't okay to discuss diversity and representation and inclusiveness? If I were the principal I would want to address those issues after something like this, especially considering the way the vote went. If 80% of the student body is POC, why did they all vote for white kids? What's wrong with asking the question and ensuring students are treated fairly and have equal opportunities?

This is an election in a school for the student body. No one is tossing the results and no government is being overthrown.

Why did she have to withheld results in order to discuss whatever it is she wanted to discuss? It also appears she agreed to release results due to pressure from parents and district officials. And yes, I think that is a problem.

It sounds like the principal was unhappy with the results not the students. Instead of griping about election results, she should encourage kids from different races to run for office or maybe they did idk.

I'm not sure what the teaching moment is - other than you should vote for people of your race - ridiculous.

Who is saying that?

I don't think it's clear because she doesn't know what the reasons are, which is why she's doing what she's doing. I really don't see what the big deal about her noticing this and wanting to address it is.

Her job is to withed election results because they are not to her satisfaction? Why didn't she just appoint people to the positions? That's the only way to ensure that the students were of the race she deemed appropriate.

I think by all means they should discuss it but I think she needs to let the election results go through as voted by the student body. Tell the newly elected officials that it is their job to convene a forum on this and generate suggestions.

Why did she have to withheld results in order to discuss whatever it is she wanted to discuss? It also appears she agreed to release results due to pressure from parents and district officials. And yes, I think that is a problem.

I don't think it's a problem. I think the more kids are exposed to the more they'll learn, and we send them to school to learn stuff.

It's not like this principal is Stalin. :rolleyes:

JMO.

I think by all means they should discuss it but I think she needs to let the election results go through as voted by the student body. Tell the newly elected officials that it is their job to convene a forum on this and generate suggestions.

That's a great idea! I hope that's what they do.

What exactly were they supposed to learn from this?

• They learned that democratic elections mean nothing if someone in authority, like a Middle School Principal, can withhold, nullify, delay, or distort the results, or bully the electorate

• They learned that their white Principal thinks the 4 white, Asian, and mixed race winners are not able to adequately understand or advocate for “students of color”, and that their Principal does not respect them as student leaders, because their skin is not the "right" color

• They learned that people of color cannot be allowed or trusted to think and make decisions for themselves, and that People In Charge, or a white Middle School Principal, should make decisions for them on their behalf.

• They learned that their Middle School Principal thinks specific racial representation on the student council is more important than democratic student elections, or individual qualifications to hold office

• They learned that if you are In Charge, or a Principal of a Middle School, it’s okay to change the rules after the fact, if you don’t like the outcome. And then bully the electorate.

• They learned that their vote means nothing in an environment where a specific pre-determined outcome is desired by the Elite In Charge, or a Middle School Principal

• They learned that there is a lot of lying and dishonesty in politics and elections

• They learned that it’s okay for People In Charge (their Principal) to bully and false-shame those with less power

• They learned that being “politically correct” is more important than being honest

• They learned that their Principal has disgraced herself and her reputation as the leader of their school, and brought dishonor to the school board who hired her

• They learned that the school board should have had an emergency meeting to discuss the actions of the Principal, and to speak to the media and parents

• They learned exactly how fake elections take place in corrupt places run by dictators, like China, North Korea, Iran, etc

• Most of all, they learned from their Middle School Principal that MLK Jr must have been wrong-- it is much more important to judge people on the color of their skin, than the content of their character, at least at the Everett Middle School Student Council elections

• they learned that democratic elections mean nothing if someone in authority, like a middle school principal, can withhold, nullify, delay, or distort the results, or bully the electorate

• they learned that their white principal thinks the 4 white, asian, and mixed race winners are not able to adequately understand or advocate for “students of color”, and that their principal does not respect them as student leaders, because their skin is not the "right" color

• they learned that people of color cannot be allowed or trusted to think and make decisions for themselves, and that people in charge, or a white middle school principal, should make decisions for them on their behalf.

• they learned that their middle school principal thinks specific racial representation on the student council is more important than democratic student elections, or individual qualifications to hold office

• they learned that if you are in charge, or a principal of a middle school, it’s okay to change the rules after the fact, if you don’t like the outcome. And then bully the electorate.

• they learned that their vote means nothing in an environment where a specific pre-determined outcome is desired by the elite in charge, or a middle school principal

• they learned that there is a lot of lying and dishonesty in politics and elections

• they learned that it’s okay for people in charge (their principal) to bully and false-shame those with less power

• they learned that being “politically correct” is more important than being honest

• they learned that their principal has disgraced herself and her reputation as the leader of their school, and brought dishonor to the school board who hired her

• they learned that the school board should have had an emergency meeting to discuss the actions of the principal, and to speak to the media and parents

• they learned exactly how fake elections take place in corrupt places run by dictators, like china, north korea, iran, etc

• most of all, they learned from their middle school principal that mlk jr must have been wrong-- it is much more important to judge people on the color of their skin, than the content of their character, at least at the everett middle school student council elections

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back