NV - Cryotherapist found dead inside ice chamber

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
NBC:

Nevada Cryotherapy Salon Manager Found Dead Inside Cryochamber

A young salon manager was found dead inside a cryochamber where she is thought to have suffocated, according to police and local media reports.

Employees at Rejuvenice in Henderson, Nevada found the body of Chelsea Ake, 24, inside one of the ice machines earlier this week, NBC station KSNV reported.

Ake, the manager of the business, is thought to have gone into one of the cryochambers on her own, it said.
---
more at link above

Agree. But hopefully the business had cameras so i can rule out the last person who left and supposedly seen her closing things down or even possibly walking in there.
---
“It's very frustrating to know because you know there are no cameras in there,” Shae-Lynn Bee said. “Basically, the only person that does know what happened is Chelsea."
http://www.news3lv.com/mostpopular/...ss-Ake-death-OSHA/V3Znn1ziHEC0wRDgzmlbQw.cspx

By "in there," I suppose she means the cryochamber itself. So we'll see -- has to be some reason for the cops' ruling.

What used for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryotherapy

"...the local or general use of low temperatures in medical therapy. Cryotherapy is used to treat a variety of benign and malignant tissue damage, medically called lesions. .... The most prominent use of the term refers to the surgical treatment, specifically known as cryosurgery. Other therapies that use the term are whole-body cryotherapy[SUP][2][/SUP] and ice pack therapy."

The 'salon' ref and 'Rejuvenice' business name made me think more along the line of elective aethestic/med-spa treatments like Botox rather than trad. med treatments. Googling 'Rejuvenice Henderson' sent me to groupons & yelp. It's puzzling.

In any case, sad, sad, sad.

Beautician who died in cryochamber 'was using the machine by herself, died within seconds and could have suffocated'

Chelsea Ake, manager of Rejuvenice salon in Nevada, found dead Tuesday

Medical examiner told family she 'died within seconds'

An official cause of death has not been determined

Preliminary reports suggest Ake may have suffocated from gases

Cryotherapy is a controversial 'medical therapy' where the body is briefly exposed to to air temperatures at minus 240 degrees Fahrenheit

Machines are never used for more than three minutes at a time

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-died-seconds-family-says.html#ixzz3pgpBGxwF

Beautician who died in cryochamber 'was using the machine by herself, died within seconds and could have suffocated' ....
An official cause of death has not been determined
Preliminary reports suggest Ake may have suffocated from gases....
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-died-seconds-family-says.html#ixzz3pgpBGxwF

sbm^ Per link, machine is used for up to 3 min, so can person die 'in seconds' inside chamber? Is cold temp the CoD?

What gases are inside chamber, present to be inhaled, cause injury, or suffocation death? Equip properly functioning or malfunctioning? Can phantom evildoer pump other deadly gas into chamber? If gases, is CoD suffocation or poison?

"Investigators have ruled Ake's death as 'operator error', with preliminary findings suggesting she used the machine after-hours and without assistance and may have suffocated inside."

If there is no official CoD yet, maybe 'op error' is jumping the gun. IDK.

A commenter says suffocation in nitrogen is surprisingly fast. "Quoting Wikipedia:
'According to the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, in humans, “breathing an oxygen deficient atmosphere can have serious and immediate effects, including unconsciousness after only one or two breaths. The exposed person has no warning and cannot sense that the oxygen level is too low.” In the US, at least 80 people died due to accidental nitrogen asphyxiation between 1992 and 2002.[SUP][3][/SUP] Hazards with inert gases and the risks of asphyxiation are well established.'" bbm ^Link to USChem does not link to ^ quote.

Was Henderson cryochamber an oxygen deficient atmosphere which would cause Nitrogen Asphyxiation Death? Does system normally pump oxygen into chamber so person inside can breathe? Is NA^ more likely than temp as CoD? Maybe we need patience until autopsy report is released.
Med professionals? Anyone?

___________________________________________________________________________________
FWIW, re nature of Rejuvenice services, Ms Ake & recent interview w Las Vegas newspaper for article published Oct 22.
"...describing a hydrofacial, one of the treatments offered by the salon: ...[peel, exfoliate, other steps] '...we apply a serum that protects the outer layer of the skin and moisturizes it. We like to do the cryofacial afterward because it helps seal everything in.'” http://jezebel.com/salon-worker-featured-in-article-on-cryotherapy-had-die-1738649255

Does anyone know what the use is for this cryotherapy? Reminds me of the deaths in the hot rock chamber some time ago.

I use it for RA in several parts of my body.
Athletes use it for muscle therapy, after work outs and such, so that blood flow rushes to those parts of the body to heal faster.
Some people use it for weight loss (you can lose up to 800 calories in 3 minutes).

I've had cryo in at least 4 different places and there I have never had a release on the inside of the machine. I usually have an employee in the room with me that mans the machine, and the time, and has to open the door from the outside so that I can get out.

There are several styles of machines these days, so...

A commenter says suffocation in nitrogen is surprisingly fast. "Quoting Wikipedia:
'According to the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, in humans, “breathing an oxygen deficient atmosphere can have serious and immediate effects, including unconsciousness after only one or two breaths. The exposed person has no warning and cannot sense that the oxygen level is too low.” In the US, at least 80 people died due to accidental nitrogen asphyxiation between 1992 and 2002.[SUP][3][/SUP] Hazards with inert gases and the risks of asphyxiation are well established.'" bbm ^Link to USChem does not link to ^ quote.

Was Henderson cryochamber an oxygen deficient atmosphere which would cause Nitrogen Asphyxiation Death? Does system normally pump oxygen into chamber so person inside can breathe? Is NA^ more likely than temp as CoD? Maybe we need patience until autopsy report is released.
Med professionals? Anyone?

___________________________________________________________________________________
FWIW, re nature of Rejuvenice services, Ms Ake & recent interview w Las Vegas newspaper for article published Oct 22.
"...describing a hydrofacial, one of the treatments offered by the salon: ...[peel, exfoliate, other steps] '...we apply a serum that protects the outer layer of the skin and moisturizes it. We like to do the cryofacial afterward because it helps seal everything in.http://jezebel.com/salon-worker-featured-in-article-on-cryotherapy-had-die-1738649255

Jake%20Ganus%20cryo%2022%20-%201.jpg

These are what the machines look like when functioning. Usually, the operator will say that you are at "such and such degree" at a certain minute, creeping in to the -240 degrees at around three minutes. Seeing that she was inside the unit and probably programmed it herself, it is likely that she went straight into the -240 (+/-) degree and the room filled up with the gases too quickly knocking her out. You typically have to have someone there telling you to keep your head up so that you do not breathe the gases, and I am wondering if she got light headed and sunk into them more than one should.

The places I have cryo-ed are typically one room, 250 sqft, one machine, me and an employee. There is usually plenty of ventilation in the room just as long as I am listening to the commands, if any, from the employee.

It is strange that she attempted to do this herself, because even my cryo-therapist has a friend that works in sports training (whom has been around the machines before), help her through her sessions.

It's really not something one would do alone, TBH.

Jake%20Ganus%20cryo%2022%20-%201.jpg

These are what the machines look like when functioning. Usually, the operator will say that you are at "such and such degree" at a certain minute, creeping in to the -240 degrees at around three minutes. Seeing that she was inside the unit and probably programmed it herself, it is likely that she went straight into the -240 (+/-) degree and the room filled up with the gases too quickly knocking her out. You typically have to have someone there telling you to keep your head up so that you do not breathe the gases, and I am wondering if she got light headed and sunk into them more than one should.

The places I have cryo-ed are typically one room, 250 sqft, one machine, me and an employee. There is usually plenty of ventilation in the room just as long as I am listening to the commands, if any, from the employee.

It is strange that she attempted to do this herself, because even my cryo-therapist has a friend that works in sports training (whom has been around the machines before), help her through her sessions.

It's really not something one would do alone, TBH.

sherbetjello
Thanks for sharing your cryotherapy experience w us.
I was envisioning equipment that totally enclosed the person, a sealed chamber and had other misimpressions.

Any links to suggest - about RA use or about 'cryofacial' use I ref'ed to in several posts upthread? Thx in adv.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back