NC NC - John Terry, 57, Bullock, 8 Sept 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
John Terry
1054099_630x354.jpg

DEPUTIES SUSPECT FOUL PLAY IN MISSING GRANVILLE COUNTY MAN CASE
"John Terry would have turned 58 this month. While his wife wished him a happy birthday on her Facebook page, hopeful he would see it, the Granville County sheriff said he suspects foul play in Terry's disappearance and is investigating the case as a homicide.

The Bullock, NC man was reported missing Wednesday Sept. 9 when he did not show up for work at UPS' Durham distribution center where he had been employed for 37 years.

..…..

She said she had been preparing to divorce John. The two had a court date of Sept. 8 to file for separation. She said she last saw him the night before when he came home late. When John did not show up for court, Lillian said she didn't know what happened to him, but suspected he was delaying the proceedings as he had two other times before."

http://abc11.com/news/deputies-suspect-foul-play-in-missing-man-case/1054105/

Does it strike anyone else as interesting that the boss called police for a welfare check instead of calling the wife or having a co-worker swing by the house?

Just found this article saying he'd missed work for 3 days before boss called police. http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/article/mans_disappearance_spurs_police_search/ . Seems like the wife thought he might have just been trying to avoid their divorce appt the next day.

From October:

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/article/suspects_eyed_in_mans_disappearance/

Sheriff Wilkins said authorities have assumed foul play from the onset. “From day one this investigation has been treated as a homicide investigation,” he said...

“We are looking at suspects/persons of interest, but we cannot reveal who they are,” Wilkins said.

Lillian Reamer Terry, wife of John Terry, said Granville County deputies have searched her home, the vehicles parked in the yard — at least one of which belonged to John Terry — and her family’s farm in Scottsburg.

From November:

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/n..._wife_says_hes_alive_contrary_to_police_view/

Lillian Terry, in an interview with this newspaper, says she does not agree with the police account that her husband is dead. Giving her account of events since John Terry’s disappearance, she acknowledges that their marriage was nearing an end, but she is adamant in her belief that law enforcement has jumped to conclusions about the fate that may have befallen John Terry.

If there are victims in this case, it’s her and her family for the way they have been treated, she said...

“She says she wants to find her husband and that’s what we are trying to do,” Edmonds added. He said he can’t understand why Lillian and members of her family refuse to take a polygraph test: “If they have nothing to hide, the polygraph will support their claims.”

Does it strike anyone else as interesting that the boss called police for a welfare check instead of calling the wife or having a co-worker swing by the house?

Just found this article saying he'd missed work for 3 days before boss called police. http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/article/mans_disappearance_spurs_police_search/ . Seems like the wife thought he might have just been trying to avoid their divorce appt the next day.

Hmm, maybe the boss knew the divorce was coming. IMO, spouse or suicide, but LE supports the homicide, and the family refusing polygraphs...bad timing for a random crime,

WIFE OF MISSING GRANVILLE COUNTY MAN FOUND DEAD
1557138_630x354.jpg

The wife of a missing Granville County man was found dead Saturday in the Grassy Creek area. Lillian Terry was found floating near the shoreline around 4 p.m. Authorities said it appeared she had been there for several days.

Her husband, John Terry, vanished over a year ago. Granville County deputies don't expect to find him alive but continue to investigate.
http://abc11.com/news/wife-of-missing-granville-county-man-found-dead/1557146/

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/16/wife-missing-north-carolina-man-found-dead-in-creek.html
“I don’t understand why they’re giving me such a hard time because I’ve never been in trouble,” she told WTVD. “I mean, can you see me killing somebody? I mean look at me.”

??? What an odd thing to say... So, women don't conspire to murder ?

Or has John just vanished ?
On the other hand --maybe she paid someone for his death and the hitman decided to silence her ?
Or she drowned herself ?
MOO

First time I've heard about this case. Proof positive I do not spend enough time at WS ! :)

www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/16/wife-missing-north-carolina-man-found-dead-in-creek.html
“I don’t understand why they’re giving me such a hard time because I’ve never been in trouble,” she told WTVD. “I mean, can you see me killing somebody? I mean look at me.”

??? What an odd thing to say... So, women don't conspire to murder ?

Or has John just vanished ?
On the other hand --maybe she paid someone for his death and the hitman decided to silence her ?
Or she drowned herself ?
MOO

First time I've heard about this case. Proof positive I do not spend enough time at WS ! :)

The possible scenarios being suggested in comments are all over the map on this one:
1. Maybe the missing man is not really dead and he came back to kill his wife--he will be "found alive" in a year or so.
2. Maybe she killed him and couldn't live with the guilt so she committed suicide.
3. Maybe she had a lover/hit man who killed him and eventually turned on her, killing her too.
4. Maybe she had nothing to do with his death but found out who DID kill him and she was silenced.
5. Maybe there is no connection at all between his disappearance and her death.

I have no idea what to think!

I agree that there are many possibilities. I think we can rule out that the wife killed him in their house or carried his body away in the car because the police have searched the house and cars many times and found nothing. They have not even named her as a suspect. As far as her hiring a hit man, that's a pretty expensive and risky thing to do, and I don't think she had enough motive. She thought he was having an affair, and it looks like her vengeful reaction was to file for divorce. Why bother with a divorce if she was going to kill him? It looks like she was happy with how the divorce proceedings were going, and he was unhappy, because she was showing up for all the hearings and he was not. According to her, he was trying to cause a delay. That makes it seem like he felt like he was losing out big in the divorce. Maybe they were going to give her the house. Maybe it was true that he was having an affair, and she was not, and she had proof of it. In most states that would mean she would get the house.
Maybe he thought that if he would disappear for a while, he would never lose the house because the divorce would never be completed.
She was pretty sick, according to her own statements. Maybe he thought if he stayed gone for awhile, she would die, and he and his new girlfriend could move back into his house.
As of this moment they have not said that the wife was murdered. She may have died of natural causes. She was found floating in the lake, near the shore.

John had accused his wife of having an affair and tampering with his bottle of Mountain Dew, ABC reported.
Her attorney said she denied those allegations, adding that she believed John was seeing a masseuse in Durham.
The Granville County Sheriff's Office have never named a suspect in John's disappearance. Authorities said both investigations are ongoing.

Authorities told ABC 11 Lillian Terry’s body had likely been floating in the Granville County’s Grassy Creek — near the Virginia border — for several days before she was found around 4 p.m. Saturday.

Law enforcement officials did not specify whether her death was suspicious, nor how she died.
In September, her husband John Terry vanished the same day he was scheduled to appear in court for a divorce application. The 57-year-old allegedly filed for separation after accusing his wife of having an affair and trying to poison him, according to the news station.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n-found-dead-floating-creek-article-1.2833040

The husband had filed for divorce. They both accuse each other of affairs. He accuses her of trying to poison him. He disappears. Police strongly believe homicide. The million dollar question is why. After all, if there's no evidence of anything, it's more likely that he took off.

With the police thinking homicide, I'm going to guess that police have evidence but not enough to charge/go after a conviction.

I will also guess that LT's death is a suicide.

There's not much info in most of the recent articles but there is a lot about the case in this article (posted above in post #4, written before she was found dead): http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/josh-shaffer/article99802142.html

Some quotes that are interesting in light of Lillian's death:
Tickle said that deputies found Terry’s blood on a shaving razor during a search of their home, and that a second sample of blood came from an animal their cat had dragged inside. In court arguments to come later, he said, a Granville County detective testified that no evidence of guilt pointed to Terry’s wife. Last week, Tickle told me that the masseuse’s brothers harassed Terry’s wife on their property, and that she called police. But he didn’t know their names, and I couldn’t find any such report from their address.

In December, Terry’s two sisters sued his wife seeking to gain control of his assets, arguing that Linda Terry Jones of Buncombe County should be named temporary receiver. Then, in a counterclaim, Terry’s wife fired back that her husband had a strained and distant relationship with his sister Jones, and she argued for her own position over her husband’s property.

But in March, a judge chose Jones, giving her custody of all his assets, including a Model A Ford, allowing Terry to remain on the property but removing her husband’s boat, trailer and other property. Neither Jones nor her sister Susan Cox would be interviewed for this column, though Cox, in Raleigh, said, “Things are going on and we’re hopeful something will break soon.” Legal wranglings continue.

BBM.
So we have at least two other parties that were in contentious interactions with LT. While it sounds like the sisters suit was more or less settled, they made no comment and may have still been fighting to get her evicted from the house the judge said she could continue to live in. I'm a little baffled as to what the brothers of the woman JT was allegedly having an affair with would get out of harassing LT. Maybe they were asking her to stop spreading rumors about their sister or something? It's all very mysterious and I have a feeling we may never find out what really happened!

*Tickle was Lillian's attorney.

Sounds like the judge thought LT would start selling off JT's assets while he was gone, so the judge gave JT's sister temporary receivership.

It just occurred to me that the incident with the "brothers of the masseuse" might have been completely made up by LT. The reporter from the News and Observer could not find record of her calling the police, so seemed to throw doubt on the story. I wonder if the "masseuse" even exists?

Oxford (Granville County, NC) is pretty far inland and I don't think any of the hurricane flooding affected them. When I first read this article, I thought Mrs. Terry may have died somehow in the flood waters. But after looking at the location, I don't think so. Really strange the authorities haven't located Mr. Terry. I feel he must be dead, or some of his bank accounts, credit cards, etc. would have disclosed his location by now, over a year later.

Some more details here, she was wearing "waders" when found:
Lillian Reamer Terry, a Halifax County native and the wife of John Mark Terry, was discovered about 4:20 p.m. Saturday afternoon floating near the shoreline of Grassy Creek at the house occupied by the couple, Wilkins said Sunday morning.

Grassy Creek is part of Kerr Lake, and the Terrys’ house has a yard that goes down to the water, Wilkins explained.

“When I got there, she was floating face down next to the shore line,” said Wilkins, adding Terry was wearing waders when she was found.
http://www.yourgv.com/news/local_ne...cle_05a4f23a-93da-11e6-b88c-27e05b0e48f0.html

I don't know what to think about the waders...just when I thought this case couldn't get any stranger. If she was planning to drown herself, no need for the waders IMO. Was it an accidental death while she was fishing/hunting? But, IMO she doesn't look like the type of woman to hunt or fish. And why would she be out there doing that by herself?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back