GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Becky Watts' trial: The evidence so far
October 17, 2015

THE heartbreaking trial of Becky Watts reached its eighth day this week.

The jury at Bristol Crown Court has heard details of how the 16-year-old's stepbrother Nathan Matthews and his girlfriend Shauna Hoare are alleged to have kidnapped and murdered the teenager. They both deny the charges.

Her body parts were found in a shed in Barton Court in March.

93204084-4ec2-403d-b360-7f1fd00525d3-620x372.jpeg

Link

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6
Thread 7
Thread 8

Media Thread

The Rules

FIND Rebecca WATTS

Avon and Somerset Constabulary

Rebecca Watts Case Map credit to skibaboo

https://twitter.com/ITVWCBeckyTrial

https://twitter.com/rupertevelyn?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

https://twitter.com/HeartWestNews?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://twitter.com/elliepitttv

https://twitter.com/SiobhanRobbins

https://twitter.com/clairehayhurst?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Becky Watts trial latest: Matthews tells court of the moment he killed Becky

October 27, 2015

11247577.jpg

Warning readers may find some of the content in this article distressing or upsetting

Nathan Matthews told a court he had been planning for a couple of months to teach Becky Watts a lesson.

Matthews has resumed giving evidence in his murder trial and has explained why he planned to kidnap his 16-year-old step-sister.

He told the jury he had thought of "trying to scare Becky" for a few months and planned to "get her in the suitcase" then get her in the car.

Becky Watts murder trial: Live updates as killer stepbrother continues giving evidence for third day
29 OCTOBER 2015

The jury heard how Avon and Somerset police officers arrested Matthews on February 28.

Prosecutor: “So the plan failed didn’t it.”

Matthews: “Not completely.”

Prosecutor: “You and her were both in it together from start to finish.

Matthews: “No, not to start, not to finish - not anything. That’s what you are trying to suggest.”

Prosecutor: “But you had a fall back plan with Shauna.”

Matthews: “No.”
Prosecutor: “Did you tell Shauna that out of your love for her you would take it all on your shoulders?”

Matthews: “No that would be highly suspicious.

“I didn’t want to row out Shauna - Shauna had nothing to do with it.”
The prosecutor said Matthews had tried to get off as lightly as he could himself - while enabling Shauna to get away with it.

Originally Posted by YidArmyRach View Post
Just been thinking about his story and something else has occurred to me.

He told SH that he was using the circular saw to cut the toilet pipe or pipes. But she went shopping with him for all the cleaning supplies and so on - and nowhere is it listed that they purchased any toilet pipes or plumbing supplies at all. So how could she have believed that he was sawing/fixing the toilet using a saw, when all he could have cut up would have been the existing toilet, which obviously didn't have anything missing from it, or any damage to it.

There's just no way, is there? He apparently risked attacking / killing / removing Becky's body when SH was having a quick cig right outside, she could have walked in at any point. He risked having Becky's body in their house for a few days, she could have found it /smelled it at any time. And he risked dismembering a body in a cramped bathroom in a small house where she could have wandered in at any point - I can't even go for a wee without someone interrupting me! What would he have done to SH if she'd rumbled him - a high chance she would have, isn't there?

And for those reasons, because I don't believe anyone would take such great risks with something so gruesome and evil, I just find it incredibly hard to believe Shauna knew absolutely nothing, he couldn't risk it. It makes much more sense that she knew something and they agreed she wouldn't get physically involved.

Can someone explain this one to me -

What does "row out" mean, is it Bristol speak? I've never heard this phrase before.

What does "row out" mean, is it Bristol speak? I've never heard this phrase before.

I was thinking the same. Maybe it's a typo and should say 'rule out'

Marking my spot, in anticipation of SH taking the stand!

#JusticeForBecky!

Never heard it - think it must be a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One reason I don't believe the kidnap story is because I think its a huge leap for someone to go from intent to kidnap a person (and not physically harm as well), to stabbing and dismemberment. I think the person has to have some much darker mental tendencies to make that leap.

Had Becky been found with evidence of a struggle, and nothing more, hidden somewhere outside, I would have a much easier time believing the story.

But the multiple stabs and dismemberment.... that takes it to a level that is beyond "I need to cover up my mistake" in my mind.

One reason I don't believe the kidnap story is because I think its a huge leap for someone to go from intent to kidnap a person (and not physically harm as well), to stabbing and dismemberment. I think the person has to have some much darker mental tendencies to make that leap.

Had Becky been found with evidence of a struggle, and nothing more, hidden somewhere outside, I would have a much easier time believing the story.

But the multiple stabs and dismemberment.... that takes it to a level that is beyond "I need to cover up my mistake" in my mind.
Totally agree with this.

I've always looked at this case with the view that it was a planned sexual attack and both NM and SH are jointly responsible for her death and the cover up afterwards. No other explanation makes sense.

And another thing about the risks he took.... he must have expected a knock on the door from the police at any time, if just to come in and ask a few questions. He couldn't have risked Shauna just letting them in thinking there was no problem. He would/should have been constantly panicking about getting Becky out of his house, but she was there for days, the only way he could have assured nobody could enter the house is if the other occupant agreed.

Could it be he didn't want to row (as in argue or fight) with SH.

Waiting with baited breath.....marking my spot.... For SH to take the stand. 😊

It seems odd that they haven't added assisting an offender to SH's indictment. It may be that they don't have quite enough evidence to prove that she actively took part in the planning or the execution of the murder itself, or even of the preventing lawful burial, but can demonstrate that she helped with the cover up, at the very least by lying to the police, knowing what Nathan had done.

The second oddity is that NM has confessed in terms that, if he's unsuccessful in persuading the jury that he should be convicted of manslaughter rather than murder, would automatically qualify him for a whole life sentence:

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/murder/

Paragraph 4 - whole life order. Paragraph 4(2) lists these factors:

two or more victims involving specified aggravating features
murder of child involving abduction, sexual or sadistic motivation
murder for political, religious or ideological cause
previous conviction for murder.

He would have been better off trying to pretend that he simply lost his temper.

Looking forward to SH taking the stand today, this should be very interesting and hope it sways our opinion one way or the other & we all meet in the middle. Ha ha, or not.

"Mr Mousley added: "Then you still describe what happened in upstairs at 18 Crown Hills on the 19th of February was just a silly escapade that ended up as a dreadful accident?"

Matthews said: "I don't call it silly. I would call it drastic.It do go ridiculously horribly wrong."

Finally, after Matthews denied he thought he was "clever", Mr Mousley QC asked: "Is it the truth that you weren't clever enough?"

Matthews replied: "The truth is I didn't plan for this, for what happened. Once it went wrong I had no plan. That should have been pretty bloody obvious."

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Becky-...tory-28078299-detail/story.html#ixzz3q0dtzFZN

this guy's arrogance in the cross by the smart QC is quite astounding. Had a vestige of sympathy before, based on his shortcomings and mental difficulties but even that has gone now. He really thinks he's clever and a match for the QC today.

It seems odd that they haven't added assisting an offender to SH's indictment. It may be that they don't have quite enough evidence to prove that she actively took part in the planning or the execution of the murder itself, or even of the preventing lawful burial, but can demonstrate that she helped with the cover up, at the very least by lying to the police, knowing what Nathan had done.

She has not been charged with assisting an offender because she has been charged with the more serious offence of perverting the course of justice, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. She has also been charged with preventing lawful burial.

I'm also somewhat surprised that some people have a relatively (to Shauna) positive impression of NM because he can turn on the crocodile tears. To me he comes across as glib, self absorbed and self-pitying. He wouldn't be the first narcissist/psychopath to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard