The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to add, that It might be productive if I posted a list of some of the Resolved and Unresolved issues that they listed in the Springfield News-Leader.
It might help everyone understand some of the angles Law Enforcement was looking at back in the first few months following the crime. Yes....No......May Be????

To share the information you have uncovered would be terrific. It just might get this thread going again. Thanks.

"Living beyond her means" could just mean she was racking up credit card debit.

True, but it's still "living beyond your means." She also had creditors demanding payment for debts allegedly incurred by her ex.

Glad to this thread back up and running. There have been some old, high profile cases solved recently and I believe it could happen on this one.

If there is anything to the rumor that this was some sort of a hit on only one of the women, this is something to consider:

The only people who knew Stacy would be there were relatives of hers. She can be ruled out as the target. Susie usually spent the night there but was not expected to that night. Anyone who was close to either Suzie or Sherrill would have known she would not be expected to be there that night; graduation night was a big deal in the Streeter household. Would someone intent on killing Sherrill and expecting her to be there alone, gone ahead with those plans when there were three cars in the driveway including one the perpetrator probably did not recognize (meaning they would not know how many were there or even what sex the unknown were)?

If this "hit" rumor/theory/known fact is correct Suzie was probably the target and the perp probably waited until Suzie. The lack of any sign of forced entry and the "crack" in Suzie's Venetian blinds suggest that Suzie admitted the perpetrator to the house.

Whatever Sherrill's financial history, she was able to secure a mortgage on her house. She couldn't have been having too much trouble. On the other hand, there is no evidence she was living beyond her means. There is reason to be.ieve she had any kind of illegal income.

Stacy's parents did not know she would be at Suzie's house. Stacy had told her mother that night she would be spending the night at Janelle's. Stacy's mom did not know until the following day that Stacy had instead spent the night at Suzie's instead of Janelle's.

Regarding Suzie possibly opening the door for the perp, we don't know if there were any windows left open or unlocked inside the house, as Sherrill was painting a chest of drawers that evening, and she may have kept a window open to let out the fumes, which may have provided access to the perp. Personally, I never thought this was a random crime. Sherrill and Suzie had a Yorkie, which love to bark at the slightest sound. I have to believe it would have sounded the alarm if someone was lurking near the house in the middle of the night. I don't think any of the ladies would have answered a knock on the door in the middle of the night unless it was someone they knew.

Mrs. Levitt's bedroom window had been raised 1/4 of the way.

I have two dogs and if they are in deep sleep, they do not wake up even with noise. And one of our dogs is a young yapper.

Mrs. Levitt's bedroom window had been raised 1/4 of the way.

I have two dogs and if they are in deep sleep, they do not wake up even with noise. And one of our dogs is a young yapper.

Do you have a source for Sherrill's window being raised 1/4 of the way?

Incredible, with all due respect, I never have heard of a dog not barking when there is a noise in the middle of the night, unless it's an elderly dog that is hard of hearing. Their sense of smell is also superior. I've seen my dogs awake with their noses in the air, picking up a scent, before they even hear a noise, and start to bark. I don't know anything about Sherrill's Yorkie and whether it was hard of hearing. That very well could be. But at some point, if someone was lurking around the house and then breaking in, I have to think the dog would have started barking.

IMO this was not random... It was someone that Sherill and Suzie knew...

1. If Sherill was the target why not grab her at 11 or midnight when she was alone? Anyone familiar would of know that Suzie was not home because her car was not there. It doesn't make sense to wait so late even if she was awake, had lights on etc. She was just a tiny thing.

2. I don't think their was ever a knock AT the door. Suzie was a teenager before cellphones, social media, etc etc. what did teens do back then? They would go to their friends or girlfriends or boyfriends bedroom window to get their attention, especially that late at night. If that person felt secure enough to knock on her window then I am sure it's happened before and Suzie would of let that person in the house. The evidence states that the girls removed their make-up and probably their jewelry so I'm sure Suzies bedroom light was on as well as the bathrooms and her cars in the driveway..bingo you know she's home and awake

something happened, an argument, they started to assault the girls, Sherill woke up and I think it was just downhill from their....

I am curious to know if the cops or forensics were ever able to tell if the light fixture on the porch was broken while it was still screwed in or if it looked like it was removed then dropped.....does anyone know?

Springfield News-Leader August 3, 1992
Inconsistencies
Allegations of drug use by McCall have been virtually eliminated. Streeter had perhaps experimented. Police have found no significant links between drugs and the women’s disappearances, but “I don’t know if we can ever completely ever eliminate it,” Deputy Chief Ron Worsham said.

Streeter’s car was found parked in the circle drive of her mother’s home, facing East. Witnesses and acquaintances say Streeter always parked facing North, behind her mother’scar, or she parked facing West.

One witness said that he saw the women’s cars parked differently at 3:45am on June 7[SUP]th[/SUP], than they were found the next day (Later that day).

A young male friend of the girls has given various accounts of the events he recalls between 8:00am and 9:00pm on June 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. He was one of those who entered Levitt’shouse early in the day apparently looking for the women. “We’ve pretty well cleared all that up”,Worsham said of the friends accounts. “He was simply confused on some times as to where he was.”

Also considered significant to the case: Levitt’spurse was found in her daughter’s bedroom next to Streeter’s and McCall’s. Levitt and Streeter were heavy smokers. Both left their cigarettes behind. Levitt’s dog was found unattended, and her front door was found unlocked.

Concerns to further investigate
They seem to focus on Levitt and her finances and include: The possibility she was living beyond her means of support, Her home repair expenses, The fact she used money orders instead of checks, The allegations she was a silent partner at the hair salon where she worked, Travels she may have had that could link her with illegal groups or activities, A past bankruptcy, And her insurance policies. Worsham said, “There are no signs her finances are out of order”. (Not sure why this statement is made, after they list all of those things that they felt were still concerns to further investigate??)

Streeter was alleged to have told a former boyfriend thather mother had dated someone she thought was a banker. That information clashes with what Levitt’sfriends and coworkers say….that she did not date and had no boyfriend.

An empty picture frame was found in Streeter’s bedroom. Can anyone tell police who may have been in that frame?

An obscene phone call was left on Levitt’s answering machine on June 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. However, before police could hear it, the message was erased, apparently by accident, by someone who came looking for the women before officers were called.

Articles of clothing unaccounted for at the house were McCall’s Yellow tee-shirt.

A witness said that at 6:30 to 7am on June 7[SUP]th[/SUP],she saw a dusty grey-green van driven by someone who looked like Streeter. The witness said she heard a male voice say, “OK,don’t make any silly moves, back up slowly and turn around.” She was wearing a yellow tee-shirt. (Note: the news story said “He” but I think they meant to say “She”)

Streeter had $400.00 in a bank account. Levitt had $768.00 in her account. It was not stated whether the women had other accounts.

Analysts believe that police cannot link a brown van, or acomposite drawing of a transient with the disappearance. Still, the van a brown 1967-1970 Dodge, was seen in the area several times, and there is still a possible link Worshamsaid. The same goes for the composite. A man was seen in the area several times and we’re still looking to identify that person,” Worsham said.

The south avenue convenient store sighting of Levitt earlyJune 7[SUP]th[/SUP], was bogus. The woman looking for three missing girls has been identified.

It appeared that Streeter and McCall had prepared for bed prior to their disappearance and may have been in bed when they were forced to leave.

Because there was no forced entry or signs of struggle inthe house, somebody known to the victims or using the influence of authority may have removed the women from the house.

Because the abductions took place at Levitt’s home, McCall does not appear to be the target.

There appears to be no sign of a struggle inside the house.

The analysts classified 349 issues surrounding the case as either Unresolved (181), or Resolved (168). Worsham said many of the unresolved issues have been worked out. The department’s goal was to eliminate all of them as unanswered questions.

Inconsistencies
Allegations of drug use by McCall have been virtually eliminated. Streeter had perhaps experimented. Police have found no significant links between drugs and the women’s disappearances, but “I don’t know if we can ever completely ever eliminate it,” Deputy Chief Ron Worsham said.

Streeter’s car was found parked in the circle drive of her mother’s home, facing East. Witnesses and acquaintances say Streeter always parked facing North, behind her mother’scar, or she parked facing West.

One witness said that he saw the women’s cars parked differently at 3:45am on June 7[SUP]th[/SUP], than they were found the next day (Later that day).

A young male friend of the girls has given various accounts of the events he recalls between 8:00am and 9:00pm on June 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. He was one of those who entered Levitt’shouse early in the day apparently looking for the women. “We’ve pretty well cleared all that up”,Worsham said of the friends accounts. “He was simply confused on some times as to where he was.”

Also considered significant to the case: Levitt’spurse was found in her daughter’s bedroom next to Streeter’s and McCall’s. Levitt and Streeter were heavy smokers. Both left their cigarettes behind. Levitt’s dog was found unattended, and her front door was found unlocked.

Concerns to further investigate
They seem to focus on Levitt and her finances and include: The possibility she was living beyond her means of support, Her home repair expenses, The fact she used money orders instead of checks, The allegations she was a silent partner at the hair salon where she worked, Travels she may have had that could link her with illegal groups or activities, A past bankruptcy, And her insurance policies. Worsham said, “There are no signs her finances are out of order”. (Not sure why this statement is made, after they list all of those things that they felt were still concerns to further investigate??)

Streeter was alleged to have told a former boyfriend thather mother had dated someone she thought was a banker. That information clashes with what Levitt’sfriends and coworkers say….that she did not date and had no boyfriend.

An empty picture frame was found in Streeter’s bedroom. Can anyone tell police who may have been in that frame?

An obscene phone call was left on Levitt’s answering machine on June 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. However, before police could hear it, the message was erased, apparently by accident, by someone who came looking for the women before officers were called.

Articles of clothing unaccounted for at the house were McCall’s Yellow tee-shirt.

A witness said that at 6:30 to 7am on June 7[SUP]th[/SUP],she saw a dusty grey-green van driven by someone who looked like Streeter. The witness said she heard a male voice say, “OK,don’t make any silly moves, back up slowly and turn around.” She was wearing a yellow tee-shirt. (Note: the news story said “He” but I think they meant to say “She”)

Streeter had $400.00 in a bank account. Levitt had $768.00 in her account. It was not stated whether the women had other accounts.

Analysts believe that police cannot link a brown van, or acomposite drawing of a transient with the disappearance. Still, the van a brown 1967-1970 Dodge, was seen in the area several times, and there is still a possible link Worshamsaid. The same goes for the composite. A man was seen in the area several times and we’re still looking to identify that person,” Worsham said.

The south avenue convenient store sighting of Levitt earlyJune 7[SUP]th[/SUP], was bogus. The woman looking for three missing girls has been identified.

It appeared that Streeter and McCall had prepared for bed prior to their disappearance and may have been in bed when they were forced to leave.

Because there was no forced entry or signs of struggle inthe house, somebody known to the victims or using the influence of authority may have removed the women from the house.

Because the abductions took place at Levitt’s home, McCall does not appear to be the target.

There appears to be no sign of a struggle inside the house.

The analysts classified 349 issues surrounding the case as either Unresolved (181), or Resolved (168). Worsham said many of the unresolved issues have been worked out. The department’s goal was to eliminate all of them as unanswered questions.

Thank you, Monkeyman, for sharing your information with us. Very considerate!

Interesting that the article pointed out that "Because there was no forced entry or signs of struggle in the house, somebody known to the victims or using the influence of authority may have removed the women from the house." So that was early on. No comments suggesting it was a random crime, or that the point of access was through a window.

The purses all in the daughter's bedroom makes me think the kidnapper gathered them together looking for money.

Agreed!! I also find it interesting that the cars were said to be parked differently at 3:45am on June 7th, then they were found later that day. Like they were moved around, or the girls went somewhere after they arrived home. Could be the cars taken somewhere to clean them out.....don't know? Possible angle. Or....they were seen at 3:45am, and then for what ever reason the cars were moved around to accommodate another vehicle being pulled into the driveway when the crime occurred.

The purses all in the daughter's bedroom makes me think the kidnapper gathered them together looking for money.
It's been said that they (Law Enforcement) found cash and uncashed checks that Sherrill received as payment for her services (Beautician), in her purse. I think that's why they ruled out robbery. Unless there was a much larger amount of money that Sherrill was keeping in the house. They say that things were out of place in her room, like someone had possible gone through the closet. Based on that issue, and the issue that investigators pointed out that Sherrill used money orders instead of checks, might point to Sherrill keeping money at the house. But that's just speculation on my part.

It's been said that they (Law Enforcement) found cash and uncashed checks that Sherrill received as payment for her services (Beautician), in her purse. I think that's why they ruled out robbery. Unless there was a much larger amount of money that Sherrill was keeping in the house. They say that things were out of place in her room, like someone had possible gone through the closet. Based on that issue, and the issue that investigators pointed out that Sherrill used money orders instead of checks, might point to Sherrill keeping money at the house. But that's just speculation on my part.

Maybe the kidnappers wanted it to look like a robbery at first, that could be why all the purses together. The EAR/Original night stalker used to pretend it was just a robbery to keep the victim calm.

Maybe the kidnappers wanted it to look like a robbery at first, that could be why all the purses together. The EAR/Original night stalker used to pretend it was just a robbery to keep the victim calm.

From everything I've been able to gather about 3MW case.....it doesn't appear to be a random crime. It seems more personal in nature, and someone went to more trouble to commit this crime than would seem to be the case in one of a random nature. I think who ever did this, just got lucky, and police weren't able to "Pin them down" on anything solid. I feel police have an idea who may have done this or been involved in some manor, but just cant paint them into a corner.....so to speak.

Agreed!! I also find it interesting that the cars were said to be parked differently at 3:45am on June 7th, then they were found later that day. Like they were moved around, or the girls went somewhere after they arrived home. Could be the cars taken somewhere to clean them out.....don't know? Possible angle. Or....they were seen at 3:45am, and then for what ever reason the cars were moved around to accommodate another vehicle being pulled into the driveway when the crime occurred.

I wonder if they used one of the girls cars to go pick up/ steal the van? That would mean two people involved then, one to drive the car back to the home and one to get rid of the van....depending on how it played it out? Any thought?

the thought of moving the cars to accommodate another vehicle (possibly the van) never occurred to me....that is a very good point monkey!

The light fixture thing still bothers me. Was it maybe a motion sensor light that someone had taken off and unscrewed the lightbulb during that day to not alert anyone? If the fixture was still screwed in It makes me think one of the girls hit on purpose to knock it down so friends/family/LE would know something was wrong? I know it sounds so trivial but I think however that was broken may unearth a bigger clue.

I wonder if they used one of the girls cars to go pick up/ steal the van? That would mean two people involved then, one to drive the car back to the home and one to get rid of the van....depending on how it played it out? Any thought?

the thought of moving the cars to accommodate another vehicle (possibly the van) never occurred to me....that is a very good point monkey!

The light fixture thing still bothers me. Was it maybe a motion sensor light that someone had taken off and unscrewed the lightbulb during that day to not alert anyone? If the fixture was still screwed in It makes me think one of the girls hit on purpose to knock it down so friends/family/LE would know something was wrong? I know it sounds so trivial but I think however that was broken may unearth a bigger clue.

The light was a globe light on the outside of the front door on the wall above the mail box. Its been speculated that it was knocked off or fell off when the women were taken out of the house, or by someone who was trying to darken the light by taking it off and unscrewing the bulb. The only issue I have with this theory is, it doesn't explain why the light was still on with the bulb intact the next day.

I don't know that the van that was stolen was connected to the 3MW crime. At least as far as I have seen they've never made any solid connection between the two crimes.

I'd like to know who "He" was that saw the girls cars parked a different way at 3:45am. The girls were thought to have arrived at Ms. Levitt's house at approx. 2:30am. Who would have been driving by her house, that would have known how they parked their cars, at 3:45am?

None of the last people to see them ever stated that they went by the house....at least not publically that I've ever seen. It is possible that this information was withheld though for investigative purposes.

The light was a globe light on the outside of the front door on the wall above the mail box. Its been speculated that it was knocked off or fell off when the women were taken out of the house, or by someone who was trying to darken the light by taking it off and unscrewing the bulb. The only issue I have with this theory is, it doesn't explain why the light was still on with the bulb intact the next day.

I don't know that the van that was stolen was connected to the 3MW crime. At least as far as I have seen they've never made any solid connection between the two crimes.

I'd like to know who "He" was that saw the girls cars parked a different way at 3:45am. The girls were thought to have arrived at Ms. Levitt's house at approx. 2:30am. Who would have been driving by her house, that would have known how they parked their cars, at 3:45am?

None of the last people to see them ever stated that they went by the house....at least not publically that I've ever seen. It is possible that this information was withheld though for investigative purposes.

I was never sure if the actual BULB was still screwed and working. If I understand correctly you're saying the bulb was still screwed in and working? If that's the case I would think one of the girls knocked off the fixture on purpose and whoever took them for some reason didn't turn off the light.

I was thinking the same thing Monkeymann.....who is this "witness" and why would he know exactly how the cars were parked that late? Could of been aneighbor walking his dog, outside to smoke etc etc. Until they can say who it was or what he was up to I am very curious about this.

Inconsistencies

RSBM.

Is anything known about the "witness"?

Surely there was more than one abductor....seems to me that three frightened/hysterical women would be a handful for one person to handle. Perhaps there was a van driver and another person in another vehicle who rearranged the cars after the van pulled out...It is truly unnerving to think that three people could be getting ready for bed and suddenly disappear, never to be heard from again...

If threatened with a weapon I don't think it would be that difficult.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member