France - Explosions and shooting in Paris, 13 November 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time in my life I am actually worried about what is to come.

Me too I feel the same way I did after 9/11 I dread to think this might happen time and time again in my lifetime. I don't want this to become the new normal.

My cousins eight year old son asked me about what happened even though he has been shielded from the news etc. How do you explain to a child what is happening when you can barely comprehend it yourself.

My daughter and son-in-law moved from a large urban area to a small town last year. I have missed them so much because instead of being an hour away they are now seven hours away. I told her on the phone today that I am glad they moved where they did. It is a very rural area where most people are armed in some manner.

'I'm tired, boss. [...] Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?'

- 'John Coffey', The Green Mile

Maybe I see the situation for refugees differently than others, as my parents had to flee with only what they could carry twice during WWII from their part of Finland, and at the end of the war they lost their homes forever, and even if they were able to stay in their country, 10% of the population was displaced.

My grandparents are from Russia and Finland, they were living through the same thing.
My grandmother had to flee her family home and was put in a boat to Sweden at 16, in the middle of the night with noone she knew.
Guess what she did?
She started WORKING within weeks of her arrival to Sweden, (and it wasn't illegal then, the hotel took her right in) eventually found her relatives who could help her out.
(and guess what, they were working too.)
No benefits or excuses her entire life.
She met my granddad a few years later. A refugee as well. They always tried to talk me into doing the right thing.
My grandmothers advice about money was: rent first, then food. If you have anything left, save it.

I went back to Russia with my granddad in the early 90s to his village, only a few burned down houses remained. His own was gone completely.
I'll never forget the look on his face when he realized he couldn't find his house...
When he came to Sweden, the first thing he did was to enroll in an engineering high school. They accepted him after 2 years >> he had to learn the language first.
Got great degrees and worked as an engineer the rest of his life.

Refugees should always be welcomed, put safe and be given jobs, start-up options and an opportunity to learn the new language etc...
I remember it was like this in the 1980's (my mother was a teacher for immigrants).
It's just not like this anymore.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk [video=twitter;665679341020389376]https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/665679341020389376[/video]
Nohemi Gonzalez. Nick Alexander. Lalo Salines. Valentin Ribet. Names of the dead emerge from Paris attacks.

Why would it send "shivers down your spine" that young single men want to stay alive?

Who do you think are the first to die when ISIL (or any of it's predecessors of the past decades) moves in and takes over?

concert goers, soccer fans, people in cafes?

Maybe if we get lucky, the terrorists will fight each other...

http://m.jpost.com/#article=6017OTg0MjJBNEQ4Q0ZENUE4MUI1MjFCQzQzQ0RBQjZCQjc=

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah offered condolences on Saturday to the victims of Paris attacks and vowed retaliation against Islamic State for the bombings in Beirut earlier in the week.

"People of the region of Arab and Islamic countries who are living under the brutality of ISIS, including Lebanon which suffered a few days ago from it, are the most aware and sympathetic of what hit the French nation last night," Nasrallah said in a televised statement. He was referring to Islamic State.

"We offer our deep condolences, solidarity, sympathy, moral and humanitarian stand to those innocent who are invaded by the barbaric criminal management of ISIS," Nasrallah said.

Snip

Jordan's Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh said the Paris attacks "[reaffirm] our collective commitment" to fight violence wherever it may occur. European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said no one could turn away from the common threat. "We are together in this — Europeans, Arabs, East and West, all the international community," she declared. "The best response to this is actually coming together, overcoming our differences and trying together to lead the way toward peace in Syria."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...lks-in-vienna-after-attacks-rattle-paris.html

I think we have to remember that tragedies such as these happen every day in some parts of the Middle East and Africa. Radical Islamists shoot and bomb their fellow Muslims mercilessly; men, women and children alike, as evidenced by the tragedy in Lebanon last week.

This is about radicals vs moderates, not Muslims vs Westerners.
yeah but those attacks are really just recruiting tactics

My daughter and son-in-law moved from a large urban area to a small town last year. I have missed them so much because instead of being an hour away they are now seven hours away. I told her on the phone today that I am glad they moved where they did. It is a very rural area where most people are armed in some manner.

I think they would be safe in a rural area. You think they need to be armed too??

No one is attacking rural Florida. I thinke we need to keep things in perspective.

Let's respect and promote humanity.

I'm sure that your grandparents did not come to America to insist that Americans change their religious beliefs to their beliefs, or face being murdered for not doing so, or to additionally rape their wives and children.

I do NOT believe That All refugees should be welcomed with open arms.

Not all refugees are bad people, nor are all of these refugees good people. They need to be checked out. With completely open borders, that is impossible.

My grandparents are from Russia and Finland, they were living through the same thing.
My grandmother had to flee her family home and was put in a boat to Sweden at 16, in the middle of the night with noone she knew.
Guess what she did?
She started WORKING within weeks of her arrival to Sweden, (and it wasn't illegal then, the hotel took her right in) eventually found her relatives who could help her out.
(and guess what, they were working too.)
No benefits or excuses her entire life.
She met my granddad a few years later. A refugee as well. They always tried to talk me into doing the right thing.
My grandmothers advice about money was: rent first, then food. If you have anything left, save it.

I went back to Russia with my granddad in the early 90s to his village, only a few burned down houses remained. His own was gone completely.
I'll never forget the look on his face when he realized he couldn't find his house...
When he came to Sweden, the first thing he did was to enroll in an engineering high school. They accepted him after 2 years >> he had to learn the language first.
Got great degrees and worked as an engineer the rest of his life.

Refugees should always be welcomed, put safe and be given jobs, start-up options and an opportunity to learn the new language etc...
I remember it was like this in the 1980's (my mother was a teacher for immigrants).
It's just not like this anymore.

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk [video=twitter;665679341020389376]https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/665679341020389376[/video]
Nohemi Gonzalez. Nick Alexander. Lalo Salines. Valentin Ribet. Names of the dead emerge from Paris attacks.

I do not know if this is possible, but can a list be started with the names of those that have passed away...that can be added too? If not that is okay...

concert goers, soccer fans, people in cafes?

<modsnip> ISIL isn't taking over areas that have cafes and soccer stadiums and American bands playing in concert halls. They've taken over towns and villages that have been repeatedly reduced to rubble and rebuilt, and I'm very sorry to be the one to tell you of such horrors, but the fields and sands near ISIL occupied territory are full of the mutilated and often headless bodies of young men who pose the greatest threat to conquering ISIL cowards.

I, personally think, that all Americans, should have a "what IF" plan. What if you call 911 and no one comes? What if there is no electricity? What if the grocery stores are empty? What if you cannot get gas?

There are no givens. Everyone should be able to rely on themselves as needed. Just in case. Imo

I think they would be safe in a rural area. You think they need to be armed too??

No one is attacking rural Florida. I thinke we need to keep things in perspective.

Let's respect and promote humanity.

I, personally think, that all Americans, should have a "what IF" plan. What if you call 911 and no one comes? What if there is no electricity? What if the grocery stores are empty? What if you cannot get gas?

There are no givens. Everyone should be able to rely on themselves as needed. Just in case. Imo

This is a growing trend. Seriously. I know several people who are preparing for...whatever it is they think may happen. My hubs is one of them. Keeps him busy.

Dallas, Texas "flies" the French flag downtown in support of France

Dallas for France.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members