2015.10.15 CWW Booked into Lee County Jail

Could they need this time to up the charges?

Yes, that is a possibility. Also, the mass of docs, processed evidence, perhaps a grand jury, all that could create a delay.

The deadline are counted in calendar days, not business days, by the way.

-Nin

Kaplan, Sconzo & Parker Recent News:

November 13, 2015
Attorney for Sievers murder suspect files motion for release
Besides his arrest warrant, Wright’s attorney Stuart Kaplan says he has not seen one piece of evidence the State Attorney’s Office has against Wright. He says his office typically does their own investigation into a crime, and right now they are stuck in limbo.

November 13, 2015
Motion filed for release of Sievers killing suspect Curtis Wright
Stuart Kaplan, of Kaplan, Sconzo & Parker, said the state attorney's office had 30 days to file formal murder charges against Wright, 47, and has not done so. "As you can imagine we are kind of in the dark, we don’t have any papers from the state," Kaplan said.

http://www.ksplaw.com/news.shtml

-Nin

My take on this or at least hoping is they need the additional 10 days to wrap up evidence against someone else. I think they are stalling so they dont have to turn over discovery. If they are looking for a money trail that would take some time considering the LLC's MS has. I think we will see an arrest before the 10 days are up. jmo.

I would think they would have enough to charge CWW.
I'm baffled!
They moved in quickly made an arrest now nothing!

Why the delay in charging CWW with a crime?

I think the state either (a) doesn’t have evidence to proceed with filing a formal charge, and/or (b) that the evidence LE provided for the arrest was questionable.

Do they bring expert witness's in front the grand jury to explain evidence? Just wondering...

I think the state either (a) doesn’t have evidence to proceed with filing a formal charge, and/or (b) that the evidence LE provided for the arrest was questionable.

I honestly believe it has more to do with the fact that FLA still does not have Jimmy Rodgers in FLA custody yet. Evidence against CWW is going to be pretty much the same for JR. They are not going to want to show their hand anytime sooner than they have to. That's disclosing "discovery" way early in the JR case.

JMO

They just reported on NBC2 that the Prosecutor's office did not receive the case file until 2 weeks ago and needs time to go through the massive pages of evidence.

I think there is stuff in the discovery that implicates an unarrested person . jmo.

They just reported on NBC2 that the Prosecutor's office did not receive the case file until 2 weeks ago and needs time to go through the massive pages of evidence.

I don't know what the process is, so could someone please explain this? Am I understanding that LE had collected all the evidence since June 29th and wrapped up their investigation 2 weeks ago? Or do I have this all wrong?

NBC-2 link please "that the Prosecutor's office did not receive the case file until 2 weeks ago". I don't find that.

NBC-2 link please "that the Prosecutor's office did not receive the case file until 2 weeks ago". I don't find that.

I believe she s local- NBC2 may not have transcript or news reel yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what the process is, so could someone please explain this? Am I understanding that LE had collected all the evidence since June 29th and wrapped up their investigation 2 weeks ago? Or do I have this all wrong?

I wouldn’t agree that LE “wrapped up their investigation 2 weeks ago“. The investigation is ongoing, per last hearing from Sheriff Mike Scott.

LE supposedly had enough probable cause evidence on 8/28/2015 to file an arrest warrant for CWW.
That was 80 days ago!
LE was confident enough then - 2 1/2 months ago. But today, there isn’t confidence for the state to proceed with a formal charge.

I believe she s local- NBC2 may not have transcript or news reel yet.

Here is the NBC-2 link for today’s article, and the only mention I found about “two weeks” is this:
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/30528334/judge-grants-arraignment-delay-in-sievers-case#.VkpO0narSM8
A judge today agreed to continue Wright's arraignment another two weeks,. . .

--------------

No mention in that news article "
that the Prosecutor's office did not receive the case file until 2 weeks ago"

I wouldn’t agree that LE “wrapped up their investigation 2 weeks ago“. The investigation is ongoing, per last hearing from Sheriff Mike Scott.

LE supposedly had enough probable cause evidence on 8/28/2015 to file an arrest warrant for CWW.
That was 80 days ago!
LE was confident enough then - 2 1/2 months ago. But today, there isn’t confidence for the state to proceed with a formal charge.

I'm not sure there "isn't confidence" for the state since they got the 2 week continuance. I strongly suspect there is a reason for all of this and a good one at that. I'm confident the state has a good case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arraignment for Sievers killing suspect Wright delayed
Posted: 3:52 p.m
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crim...killing-suspect-Wright-delayed-350701691.html

Prosecutors asked for an extension to file formal charges against Wright on Monday, which marked the 33rd day since Wright was taken into custody. Had the extension not been granted, Florida law would have required Wright be released on his own recognizance on his 33rd day of incarceration, meaning he wouldn’t have to post a bond.

Wright’s lawyer asked to have him released, though such an occurrence was highly unlikely given the violent and serious nature of the charges. In a request for a seven-day extension, prosecutors said they have been provided with “voluminous” documentation received for the first time on Oct. 30.

It’s still possible that prosecutors are seeking a first-degree murder charge against Wright. That would require an indictment by a grand jury, which adds another step to the process beyond a typical arraignment.

The defense Motion for Release is “being considered” by the court.
CWW does not have to be in custody for his 11/30/2015 arraignment.

From the logical way that I interpret RULE 3.134*, by the end of this week if the state has not filed a formal criminal charge, the court will order that CWW be released on his 40[SUP]th[/SUP] day of being in state custody (11/23/2015).

*Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure
https://www.floridabar.org/TFB/TFBResources.nsf/Attachments/BDFE1551AD291A3F85256B29004BF892/$FILE/Criminal.pdf
RULE 3.134
In no event shall any defendants remain in custody beyond 40 days unless they have been formally charged with a crime.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/30528334/judge-grants-arraignment-delay-in-sievers-case#.Vko8WHarSM9
Judge grants arraignment delay in Sievers' murder case
Nov 16, 2015
The state attorney's office on Friday filed a "Notice of Good Cause," which tells the court they need extra time to formally charge Curtis Wayne Wright with second-degree murder in the death of Sievers.
No less than 10 minutes after that order was filed, Wright's defense attorneys responded with a motion of their own, asking Wright to be released due to the delay.
That motion is still being considered.

My take on this or at least hoping is they need the additional 10 days to wrap up evidence against someone else. I think they are stalling so they dont have to turn over discovery. If they are looking for a money trail that would take some time considering the LLC's MS has. I think we will see an arrest before the 10 days are up. jmo.
This is my thought also. I also think it is possible that there will be many more charges against CWW than the ones that relate to the murder. After all he traveled from IL to Florida like he was going to the 7-11 many times. I believe they have had all of the evidence they needed to charge him with the murder, but they want to charge him with everything at one time. That and they are getting ready to make more arrests in the next ten days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan
Back