France - Explosions and shooting in Paris, 13 November 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beirut (AFP) - More than 1,300 people, around two-thirds of them combatants, have been killed in Russian air strikes in Syria since Moscow's aerial campaign began on September 30, a monitor said Friday.

The figure supplied by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is more that double the overall toll it gave in its last report on the Russian campaign three weeks ago.

The Britain-based Observatory said it had documented 1,331 deaths in Russian air strikes, most of them of Islamic State group jihadists or other fighters..

It said 381 IS fighters had been killed, along with 547 militants from Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front and other rebel forces.

The strikes also killed 403 civilians, including 97 children, according to the monitor.

The Observatory's last toll for the campaign, on October 29, put the number of killed at nearly 600.

Russia says its aerial campaign targets IS and other "terrorists" but rebel forces and their backers accuse Moscow of focusing on moderate and Islamist fighters over jihadists.

Several medical groups have also accused Russia of strikes that have hit field clinics and hospitals in Syria.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-strikes-syria-kill-more-1-300-monitor-115137546.html

OMG OT alert....

A frustrated man has posted his passport photograph on Facebook to prove his rather unfortunate name is genuine.

Vietnamese-Australian Phuc Dat Bich, 23, told followers his Facebook account had been shut down “multiple times,” adding that he has been accused of using a “false and misleading name.”

He wrote: “I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see it.

“I’ve been accused of using a false and misleading name of which I find very offensive. Is it because I’m Asian? Is it?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mans-actual-name-unfortunate-nobody-101434690.html

Beirut (AFP) - More than 1,300 people, around two-thirds of them combatants, have been killed in Russian air strikes in Syria since Moscow's aerial campaign began on September 30, a monitor said Friday.

The figure supplied by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is more that double the overall toll it gave in its last report on the Russian campaign three weeks ago.

The Britain-based Observatory said it had documented 1,331 deaths in Russian air strikes, most of them of Islamic State group jihadists or other fighters..

It said 381 IS fighters had been killed, along with 547 militants from Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front and other rebel forces.

The strikes also killed 403 civilians, including 97 children, according to the monitor.

The Observatory's last toll for the campaign, on October 29, put the number of killed at nearly 600.

Russia says its aerial campaign targets IS and other "terrorists" but rebel forces and their backers accuse Moscow of focusing on moderate and Islamist fighters over jihadists.

Several medical groups have also accused Russia of strikes that have hit field clinics and hospitals in Syria.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-strikes-syria-kill-more-1-300-monitor-115137546.html

BIB Let's spare a thought for those 403 civilians, including 97 children, according to the monitor.[

Nowhere to go - nowhere to flee to....caught in the middle ....very sad IMO and worthy of highlighting.

So more civilians have been killed than ISIL fighters since the Paris attack

BIB Let's spare a thought for those 403 civilians, including 97 children, according to the monitor.[

Nowhere to go - nowhere to flee to....caught in the middle ....very sad IMO and worthy of highlighting.

Absolutely horrible.
A "casualty" of the war on terror. SMH.

Syrians flee war to brave smugglers' gauntlet in volatile Latin America

A group of five Syrians paid smugglers $10,000 each to travel through multiple countries before being detained for carrying false Greek documents in Honduras, their epic journey exposing a little-known southern smuggling route for Syrians fleeing war in their homeland.

The young men have told human rights activists their final destination was next-door Guatemala, because their Turkish people smuggler who guided them by phone through an unfamiliar continent promised jobs and a house waiting for them there.

But relatives of one of the men, 19-year-old Lourans Samaan, said he was trying to reach his brother in the United States and find work. They said Samaan is a Syrian Christian from a village near the city of Homs, one of the hardest hit in the war. Two more of the men have Christian names.

"He is a young man, he wants to earn a living, and what will he do in Syria, it's so dangerous," said his brother-in-law Issa Amissa, speaking to Reuters from the United Arab Emirates.

About 10 percent of Syria's population is Christian, followers of some of the world's oldest Orthodox churches.

The five men, aged 19 to 30, were part of a wider group of seven Syrian nationals who acquired forged passports in Brazil, a U.S. source said.

Read more at Reuters http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...usa-idUSKCN0T820420151120#p5VWkUR9IKzWouEv.99

And pray for the people they leave behind, for they are now statistically much more likely to become radicalized.

Absolutely horrible.
A "casualty" of the war on terror. SMH.

yes hopefully when Hollande meets with Putin next week , although it's too late for these civilians, let's hope this is on the discussion table. French Govt. have said they will have to "trust" Russia on this new combined force strategy.

wonder he finds time to golf eh

Yah. I remember wondering how Bush Jr. found the time to go clear brush at the ranch every other weekend, especially in the summer of 2011, another busy time in the world.

Presidents are human beings with what has to be the most stressful job in the world, and having to be on call 24/7, 12 months of the year for a minimum of four years.

Thank goodness they all seem to have had the good sense to take some down time every once in a while to clear their brains.

OMG OT alert....

A frustrated man has posted his passport photograph on Facebook to prove his rather unfortunate name is genuine.

Vietnamese-Australian Phuc Dat Bich, 23, told followers his Facebook account had been shut down “multiple times,” adding that he has been accused of using a “false and misleading name.”

He wrote: “I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see it.

“I’ve been accused of using a false and misleading name of which I find very offensive. Is it because I’m Asian? Is it?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mans-actual-name-unfortunate-nobody-101434690.html
My best friend's 12 year old niece is named Isis. The cruelty she is receiving is horrifying, they had to pull her from school and are going to homeschool the rest of the year while they decide what to do.

Bus driver who turned Paris attacker skipped police watch

One of the attackers who blew himself up in Paris's Bataclan concert hall had missed at least three weekly check-ins with French police who were investigating him on suspicion of terrorism-related activity.

By the time an international arrest warrant went out in 2013, Samy Amimour was likely already in Syria. And by the time a trial date was set nearly two years later, he may have been well on his way to planning Friday's attacks.

As police investigate the attacks that killed 129 people, the revelation that at least one perpetrator slipped through the hands of authorities has exposed what some describe as flaws in France's procedures to track militant suspects, in particular the system of "judicial supervision".

The one-time bus driver, described by those who knew him as a quiet young man, vanished in September 2013 when he was under judicial supervision, telling his father he was headed to the south of France

Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/20/us-france-shooting-amimour-insight-idUSKCN0T91KA20151120#qd5dJxIal72oEFcZ.99

WTH???

Telegram founder knew ISIS was using his service before Paris attacks

Secure messaging service Telegram announced on Wednesday it had shut down 78 ISIS-related channels since the deadly attacks on Paris and Beirut, alongside a statement saying the company was "disturbed to learn that Telegram's public channels were being used by ISIS to spread their propaganda." This made the situation sound like new information to Telegram -- but that's not the case. At TechCrunch Disrupt in September, Telegram founder Pavel Durov told interviewer Mike Butcher that he knew ISIS used his app (as spotted by The Washington Post). "I don't think we are actually taking part in these activities," Durov said. "I don't think we should be guilty or feel guilty about it." The relevant conversation went down as follows:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/19/telegram-founder-isis-before-paris/

My best friend's 12 year old niece is named Isis. The cruelty she is receiving is horrifying, they had to pull her from school and are going to homeschool the rest of the year while they decide what to do.

Crazy times.
Doubtful their parents are that familiar with Egyptian mythology! (What did the WS poster quote recently - something along lines of the stupid don't have any self-awareness of their own stupidity)

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Einstein

Although I must admit I prefer one of his others: “The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” much more optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member