MI - Dog-mauling death ruled suicide

She was my friend's daughter's friend's sister if you can follow that. My friend is saying that no one but the police believe it was suicide??

I don't understand why she would willingly go into a yard with pit bulls growling and barking at her. Who would take a 'shortcut' through a yard full of snarling pit bulls? This is so weird.

Supposedly there were new puppies she want to see.

Puppies will certainly complicate the situation, especially if one of the attackers was the mother dog. How horribly sad. But suicide? I can't believe it. :notgood:

That is a crazy ruling ,wanting to see new puppies and suicide are way different things. I am sure insurance companies are behind pushing for dumb rulings such as this. At least that is the only logical thing I can think about a unplanned death event that one causes themselves.

There are posts by friends of hers, and other relateds. All kinds of conflicting stories. These posts are scattered on Facebook as well as comment sections under the news stories.

I came here hoping some pieces were being put together here.

Her Fiance' has stated 'very' conflicting information as to where she was found (not in the yard), etc.
Something about they had a fight and she was kicked out of the house, or she left. She was allegedly barefoot. In December.

The linked article says she had to climb over the fence to get in with the dogs. If that's suicide that is certainly a bizarre way to do it.

I cannot immediately link because my iPad is apparently not awake yet, but in 1995, a woman went into the Lions' enclosure at the National Zoo. It was ruled a suicide. I know dogs aren't the same, but crazy stuff happens. Another ought I had was, perhaps she didn't intend to die, but instead intend to be bitten for a way to get either attention or pain meds. In any case, it's incredibly disturbing.

Earlier this week, a Detroit homeowner was charged in the pit-bull mauling death of a 4-year-old boy. Additional articles about the case on The Detroit News website.

Detroit man charged in fatal dog mauling of boy, 4

Oralandar Brand-Williams, The Detroit News 5:54 p.m. EST December 7, 2015

Detroit — The owner of a pack of pit bulls that killed a 4-year-old Detroit boy last week was arraigned Monday as the parents filed a lawsuit against him.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy charged 41-year-old Geneke Antonio Lyons of Detroit in connection with the mauling of Xavier Strickland. Lyons owned the house where the dogs were kept in the backyard.

He was arraigned via video before Magistrate Dawn White and sent to the Wayne County Jail. A not guilty plea was entered on his behalf. He was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and possessing dangerous animals causing death...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/12/07/dog-mauling-detroit/76921876/

The linked article says she had to climb over the fence to get in with the dogs. If that's suicide that is certainly a bizarre way to do it.

Especially since it's not guaranteed that she would die by going in the yard. Makes me wonder if they are saying suicide because she essentially caused her own death by entering the yard. I just don't see it as an intentional act of self harm.

Medical Examiner: Woman subjected herself to dog attack

Beth LeBlanc, Times Herald 4:32 p.m. EST December 9, 2015

...The Oakland County Medical Examiner's office ruled Rebecca Hardy’s death a suicide, and the cause as multiple injuries.

Dr. Ljubisa Dragovic, chief medical examiner for Oakland County, said information provided to his office indicated Hardy had recently been thrown out of her house and was walking barefoot toward the yard some houses away.

"She climbed the fence and jumped in and basically subjected herself to the attacks, which constitutes a purposeful act," Dragovic said.

"It's a sad story, but these are the facts."

In a separate interview, Dragovic told the Detroit Free Press Hardy had attempted suicide in the past...

http://www.thetimesherald.com/story...mauling-victims-death-ruled-suicide/77031710/

There's also the lady who jumped into the polar bear enclosure. I think it was in Germany. She apparently changed her mind about wanting to die after the bears went after her, and she was pulled to safety. I can think of three cases off the top of my head of people in other countries (I'm in America) committing suicide by going into big cat enclosures in zoos (videos on UToob). I dunno, I can think of a hundred easier ways to die if that's your wish. Yikes.

Suicide by animal attack is a concept that I never saw coming. My jaw is still on the floor and even more so after reading about some of the other incidents where this has happened. What a horrible thing to imagine for the victims, their loved ones and the people who have to do their investigations.

Medical Examiner: Woman subjected herself to dog attack

Beth LeBlanc, Times Herald 4:32 p.m. EST December 9, 2015

...The Oakland County Medical Examiner's office ruled Rebecca Hardy’s death a suicide, and the cause as multiple injuries.

Dr. Ljubisa Dragovic, chief medical examiner for Oakland County, said information provided to his office indicated Hardy had recently been thrown out of her house and was walking barefoot toward the yard some houses away.

"She climbed the fence and jumped in and basically subjected herself to the attacks, which constitutes a purposeful act," Dragovic said.

"It's a sad story, but these are the facts."

In a separate interview, Dragovic told the Detroit Free Press Hardy had attempted suicide in the past...

http://www.thetimesherald.com/story...mauling-victims-death-ruled-suicide/77031710/

So if my brakes are going bad on my car and I drive it and am in an accident and die,did I commit suicide?

It might be my fault ,but it isn't suicide. People subject themselves to misfortune everyday ,it doesn't mean they are all suicidal.

So if my brakes are going bad on my car and I drive it and am in an accident and die,did I commit suicide?

It might be my fault ,but it isn't suicide. People subject themselves to misfortune everyday ,it doesn't mean they are all suicidal.

The same thing could be said about driving under the influence. Person might know that he/she shouldn't drive while intoxicated, get into accident, perhaps fatal. Poor choice, but not suicide. :moo:

The same thing could be said about driving under the influence. Person might know that he/she shouldn't drive while intoxicated, get into accident, perhaps fatal. Poor choice, but not suicide. :moo:

You guys are very close to a point that I tried to make in the Joe Gliniewicz (suicide) thread.

His death was ruled a suicide and I agree with that ruling because in the end, I believe he took his own life intentionally.

But raised the question of what the ruling should be in a case where someone was only trying to injure themself for sympathy, fraud or for some other reason and things go wrong?

I like the terms "accidental or un-intentional" suicide - for cases like that.

Any thoughts?

How would they know it was her intent to commit suicide by dog? I hate to say this, but dogs that will attack and kill a person are not exactly "safe" to have around. I don't understand owners that do this to their dogs by not socializing them (I am assuming).

I have two German Shepherds and they are well socialized and K9 cop trained. I have no doubt that they would bite anyone who tried to harm us. However, they would not bite to kill just because someone came in our yard. Unless they have a deer costume on. Then all bets are off...

How could they possibly hold the homeowner liable? His dogs were where they were supposed to be. It is either suicide or an accident, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back