VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I've been following all of this here on Websleuths, but I didn't make an account and have access to post in here until just very recently. I'm impressed that so many of you have been able to hit on some very key points with such little background information! I was surprised! It seems like so many of you are either just verrrry good at analyzing these sorts of situations, or you have some seriously strong intuitive abilities. Or maybe a bit of both. =)

Anyway, I'm Amber Rios's mother. It's very nice to meet you.

Hi nic<3, it's nice to have you here. Do you happen to know if there are any updates? We are all praying for her safe return...

Is this mall fairly busy? Would it be popular with locals or with travelers or both? I'm not that familiar with mass transit, so forgive me if this is a silly question. When purchasing a ticket to use the Metro, do you purchase it by segment or do you just purchase a general use ticket that allows you to ride anywhere? Do you need any ID to ride or is there a way to track who purchased the ticket? It probably doesn't matter at all since there doesn't appear to be any footage of her anywhere near there. I'm hoping maybe she was just missed in the footage, but it seems odd that an area likely saturated with cameras didn't at least pick her up once.

I have so many more questions and thoughts, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask them :|

Is this mall fairly busy? Would it be popular with locals or with travelers or both? I'm not that familiar with mass transit, so forgive me if this is a silly question. When purchasing a ticket to use the Metro, do you purchase it by segment or do you just purchase a general use ticket that allows you to ride anywhere? Do you need any ID to ride or is there a way to track who purchased the ticket? It probably doesn't matter at all since there doesn't appear to be any footage of her anywhere near there. I'm hoping maybe she was just missed in the footage, but it seems odd that an area likely saturated with cameras didn't at least pick her up once.

I have so many more questions and thoughts, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask them :|

Sure, I really don't see where any of that would be relavent considering her baggage was found 50 miles back toward her family's homes.

This would indicate that she never went to any train stations or airports. If stepdad dropped her off at the mall; then we would have to assume she ether entered thee mall and met with someone(s) or met someone(s) in the parking lot. As far as video of her? We can't say because LE hasn't said much about it except that they have collaborated the story of her being dropped off at the mall in an area where there are no cameras.

A press conference by LE would help shed some light, but if we to assume that she was abducted by some stranger at the mall or tran/airport; although possible, I would have to say she would of had more of a chance of being hit by lighting on a sunny day.

Akens' mom said her 19-year-old daughter was dropped off at Springfield Mall Saturday morning to catch a ride to the airport. She planned to take the Franconia-Springfield Metro to Reagan National Airport.

http://wtvr.com/2015/12/13/kaitlin-akens-missing-family-volunteers-hand-out-flyers/

Looks like they rewritten and changed the story again today. Also they are still reporting that she only weighs 122 pound as well as showing the old photos from when she was little.

Someone was asking about weather she had money or not so here a snippet from most of the news articles.

Even more baffling, according to Akens' family, was that her roommate&#8217;s credit card was still inside the luggage, and that card was her only means of financial support.

I have been going over maps trying to make sense of the location of the luggage.

To get to the location from 95 you either have to drive though a large shopping center or head down Route 3 ,both options put you in danger of being put in sight of many camera's. If a person didnt travel 95 the location makes a tiny bit more sense.

If route 66 was taken to get back to with the luggage a person could take route 15 to 674 to Ely's ford road,to river road it has a few state route numbers though different zip codes.And cross straight over to head to Partlow or they could hit 616 or 620 and land right on river road. At night this person might not have even known how close to that huge shopping center was until after the luggage was tossed out. And this makes the location make sense.However it would take twice the amount of time to get back from the metro.

I have been going over maps trying to make sense of the location of the luggage.

To get to the location from 95 you either have to drive though a large shopping center or head down Route 3 ,both option put you in danger of being put in sight of many camera's. If a person didnt travel 95 the location make a tiny bit more sense.

If route 66 was taken to get back to with the luggage a person could take route 15 (Ely's ford road, it has a few state route numbers though different zip codes)And cross straight over to head to Partlow or they could hit 616 or 620 and land right on river road. At night this person might not have even known how close to that huge shopping center was until after the luggage was tossed out. And this makes the location make sense.

Would it make a difference if the luggage was thrown out on the way to the mall instead of on the way back do you think?

Would it make a difference if the luggage was thrown out on the way to the mall instead of on the way back do you think?

No it still would not make it logical ,the location itself is weird. It is out of the way to 95 and to busy to be thought of as a quick ditch and in the daytime anything would be spotted plus it empties out almost right into a shopping center that is pretty big and very busy on the Fredericksburg side. However someone coming from the spotsy side at night, might not realize where they were. especially if they had just taken backroads back from the metro.

I really thought when I got on here this morning, we'd have good news that she had been found...praying today will be the day :please:

I wonder if she had any issues with any local friends. If she was dropped off at mall and possibly ran into someone. I just don't feel this young lady walked away from her life. Imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, haven't posted on this thread yet but hoping for Katelin's safe return.
I have skim-read all 28 pages but I feel like I've missed something here - her family are (still?) calling her phone but it goes to voicemail?
It's a burner phone....but can still be pinged, surely?

Apologies if this has already been answered, it seems too simple so I am sure it is!
Thanks

Would the phone still have battery life after this length of time? Do we know if LE have said anything about being able to follow the pings?

There are a couple of types of metro tickets (here are some links with the specifics: http://wmata.com/fares/metrorail.cfm and http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm). You can get refillable cards or paper cards. You select how much money you want to put on the card based on the estimated fare of where you want to go. Fares vary based on time of day (rush or not), day of the week, and how far you are traveling. You do not have to show an ID or even interact with a person to get a fare card. Metro stations have automated machines (cash or credit) that you can refill your card or purchase a new one before entering the station. You swipe your card at a turn style "into" the station you are departing from and swipe "out" of the station you are exiting from (that's how they determine the fare based on your trip - the money is deducted from the card at the exit station).

This recent photo looks nothing like the photos originally shown.

She could have easily walked by a person looking for her and not been recognized, IMO.

With all identification having been found in her luggage, it makes me question if she walked away. If harm had come her way, why would the perp put her piercing jewelry in her luggage? Would it not be easier to just toss such small items?

This recent photo looks nothing like the photos originally shown.

She could have easily walked by a person looking for her and not been recognized, IMO.

With all identification having been found in her luggage, it makes me question if she walked away. If harm had come her way, why would the perp put her piercing jewelry in her luggage? Would it not be easier to just toss such small items?

I think there's some question as to whether the jewelry was indeed with the luggage. We've been reminded that there are as of yet no verified insiders posting in the thread.

its prob been addressed, but I do know that someone turned in a lost iphone 6 plus to my office and it had a lock. my coworker accessed siri and was able to open it.

Regarding the phone locks...how are they so easy to bypass?

I keep wondering if she didn't make a logical decision to get to where she needed to go and was picked up by a stranger if she was hitch hiking or walking from one point to another. We are all stumped how she disappeared in thin air - it doesn't make sense. At her age I probably wasn't thinking like a mature adult and made poor decisions. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam