VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The search started Monday when VDOT employees were working along River Road in Spotsylvania, and they discovered luggage down in a drainage ditch that belonged to the missing girl. Missing from the luggage was some clothes, some cash and her cell phone, which hasn't been turned on since she went missing. What investigators and the family say is strange, is that other important items were left behind like her bank card.
http://www.nbc12.com/story/30688991/spotsylvania-teen-reported-missing-at-dc-area-metro-station

and

Akens' luggage was found in a drainage ditch on River Road, near the Fredericksburg city limit, police said. Money, her cellphone and some clothes were missing.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo....html#comments

If she was voluntarily missing then she might not want to take the bank card so it couldnt be traced to her whereabouts.

The search started Monday when VDOT employees were working along River Road in Spotsylvania, and they discovered luggage down in a drainage ditch that belonged to the missing girl. Missing from the luggage was some clothes, some cash and her cell phone, which hasn't been turned on since she went missing. What investigators and the family say is strange, is that other important items were left behind like her bank card.
http://www.nbc12.com/story/30688991/spotsylvania-teen-reported-missing-at-dc-area-metro-station

and

Akens' luggage was found in a drainage ditch on River Road, near the Fredericksburg city limit, police said. Money, her cellphone and some clothes were missing.

To me most of it is explainable - the cash was easy to grab and could be used without worry, but a bank card would be traceable. The phone might contain evidence - numbers, calls, voicemail or text messages.

But I don't know about the clothes. Maybe evidence of a crime, or DNA? The only thing googling tells me is kidnappers sometimes change a victim's clothes to avoid detection (mostly with young children). Could that include changing her into her own clothes so "last seen wearing" wouldn't apply?

no, they didn't find them. I imagine they could be scattered a distance away all muddy or in a sewer grate or a trash can.

Oh. I thought her clothes were missing from the luggage that was found. I didn't realize they found her clothes. I need to go back and find the link, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read in msm earlier.

and

I just don't even know what "facts" are actual facts! In the above article, it is saying that the stepdad took her to the station, but he actually say he took her to the mall.... argh. (see below.)

"Her mom says she drove Katelin from her house in Caroline County to her stepdad's in Spotsylvania. Saturday, he took her to the Franconia Springfield Metro station to catch a train to Reagan International so she could fly back to Arizona, where she's living, and start cosmetology school Monday."

Has it been reported/stated anywhere what "time" she texted saying she had arrived at the airport?

I just don't even know what "facts" are actual facts! In the above article, it is saying that the stepdad took her to the station, but he actually say he took her to the mall.... argh. (see below.)

"Her mom says she drove Katelin from her house in Caroline County to her stepdad's in Spotsylvania. Saturday, he took her to the Franconia Springfield Metro station to catch a train to Reagan International so she could fly back to Arizona, where she's living, and start cosmetology school Monday."

That's the frustration here...not only do we have a limited amount of information, but in the early stages there were a LOT of errors/confusion in MSM. Some were corrected by each outlet, some were not.

- where she was dropped off
- the vehicle to look for (confusion with Heather Ciccone)
- her correct weight
- current photos
- contents of the luggage
- was phone found or not
- where was she flying to (Arizona vs Las Vegas)

...and probably many other details I am forgetting that have been twisted or mis-reported at some stage of this...in 10 days!

If she was voluntarily missing then she might not want to take the bank card so it couldnt be traced to her whereabouts.

or because it wasnt her account that it linked to. you can actually make sense of all the evidence we know and make it fit a scenario where she left of her own free will. im not saying i believe that, i dont know what happened.

Has anyone found a reliable reporter from MSM via twitter or etc?

BBM I believe it was the used ticket from when she went from AZ to VA that was in the suitcase.

I don't think LE are doing much communicating with the family either. The family seems like it is in limbo like the rest of us waiting to hear something, anything, about the status of the search.

Here is a link to the Find Katelin FB group. It is a closed group so you need to join in order to read the latest comments. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1642743949326318/

Help Save The Next Girl is assisting. I will be back with a MSM link to back this up.
ETA:
Help Save The Next Girl hands out fliers in Katelin Aken's disappearance http://www.nbc12.com/story/30710294...nds-out-fliers-in-katelin-akens-disappearance

Also, another MSM reporter posted photos of Katelin's tattoos. They link back to his page.
b006eda7401696f8f81c6eb7cb07cecd.jpg

ef49a93aed65ea04956ff313931478d1.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/BrentSolomon...791234450/10153753791124450/?type=3&source=48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has it been reported/stated anywhere what "time" she texted saying she had arrived at the airport?

Good question, but I don't think we have heard that anywhere.
How early did her mom drop her at her stepdad's house? It was a Saturday, wasn't it? Was she supposed to spend the day with him? I'm not sure the family dynamics there -- you know, how long ago mom split from him or how close he was to Katelin. I think they were married in 2007 (I hope that's okay to say.) so maybe the split was recent and Katelin wanted to visit with him while she was on this trip and since he isn't with mom anymore, it was logical to arrange to see him on the day before she leaves.
But if they aren't that close then maybe the mom just dropped her off only a couple of hours before her flight.
How long was it from the last time she was seen until she sent the text?? Thirty minutes? An hour? A few hours?? Knowing those things would help narrow down where she might have gone or something.

Very frustrating case.

jmo

Amber was supposed to pick Katelin up at the airport in Las Vegas.

(It happens to be the closest and most convenient one to Lake Havasu.)

I live pretty close to the Springfield Mall and take the blue line metro to work everyday though I don't normally go all the way out to Springfield. However, I happened to go out there last week. There are no missing signs posted. Also I get the news alerts from Fairfax County Police which often have missing person info in them. I have not seen any reporting on Katelin at all. I heard one brief news item. So I don't think anyone is being asked if there were at the metro station and saw her or at the mall.

As people have said, there are a lot of cameras at the metro so for sure they could check for her on the platform at Springfield or Reagan. I might take a drive there this weekend and see what cameras are that the Kiss and Ride (where cars can drop off people).

I am attaching some photos which might help you get a better feel. The first shows the Springfield metro platform. The second show the Kiss and Ride drop off. The third is of Reagan Airport from the metro.

Franconia-Springfield_Station.jpgfranconiaSpringfieldMetro_0.jpgronaldreagan-nationalairport-metro.jpg

Also a lot of people have asked about the mall. Springfield Mall got kind of run down and as it did, the area got worse and worse. About 5 years ago a lot of it was vacated and there was a lot of crime there. They did a HUGE renovation and renamed it Springfield Town Center. But everyone still calls it the mall. And it it your typical mall with a couple of big "anchor" department stores and all the usual clothing stores inside. They did bring in some great restaurants. The mall is very busy. Especially this time of year. The parking lots would have been packed, ton of people on a Saturday doing Christmas shopping. If they had actually canvased people and put up signs, someone might have recognized her. Tattoos and piercings are pretty distinctive. But I don't think they did that. Like I said, it is not getting new coverage and I have not seen flyers.

If she went out the Macy's exit and it is a not a bad walk to the metro. I wouldn't want to do it with a roller bag. But commuters do it everyday. There is a lot of parking at the metro, but it is like $5 and when you can park for free at the mall and its is just a short walk, a lot of people do it. I see people walking there all the time.

Photos. One is an overhead (drew the orange line to show the shortest path from the metro to the mall). A view standing outside the metro garage looking toward the mall (the mall is right behind the condo)
overhead.jpg
looking away from metro toward mall.png

That's the frustration here...not only do we have a limited amount of information, but in the early stages there were a LOT of errors/confusion in MSM. Some were corrected by each outlet, some were not.

- where she was dropped off
- the vehicle to look for (confusion with Heather Ciccone)
- her correct weight
- current photos
- contents of the luggage
- was phone found or not
- where was she flying to (Arizona vs Las Vegas)

...and probably many other details I am forgetting that have been twisted or mis-reported at some stage of this...in 10 days!

Amen...there are way to many issues with the reporting. We need a presser to give accurate info and clear up some of the misinformation.

Who was suppose to pick her up from the Az airport. And why didn't they report her missing?

I'M lost here. She was dropped off on the 5th which was the day of the flight. And she wasn't known to be missing until the 7th.

Oops. Okay. It's been stated that amber was going to pick her up from the vegas airport.

Ok great. Now what happened when Amber noticed that she wasn't on the plane that night.

It would have been 1am in Vegas by the time her flight landed. That would have caused pandemonium. Jmo

Who was suppose to pick her up from the Az airport. And why didn't they report her missing?

I'M lost here. She was dropped off on the 5th which was the day of the flight. And she wasn't known to be missing until the 7th.

Oops. Okay. It's been stated that amber was going to pick her up from the vegas airport.

Ok great. Now what happened when Amber noticed that she wasn't on the plane that night.

It would have been 1am in Vegas by the time her flight landed. That would have caused pandemonium. Jmo

That might be why the "official" report is the 7th. I am only guessing. Perhaps it was the 6th that amber realizes she's not on the plane, begins freaking out and trying to locate her. But because of the laws it's 24 hours that they have to be missing? Just guessing here of course I could be way wrong :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288