VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah? The flyer says she weighs 120 pounds. When infact we know from recent photos; that's not true. Also the flyer only shows pictures of her when she was little. So why would the flyer talk of any conditions she might have?

The last flyer I shared had the weight correct IIRC

ETA:

Mods, hope this is OK to share (latest flyer - posted Sunday via #HSTNG's Facebook page):

6f5472e7db1cc2730ce9c75a05bcd5d8.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/SaveTheNextG...1238821410/1077494652275394/?type=3&source=48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, no posts have been deleted today, except for a post which said posts have been deleted.

Any deleted posts/comments were removed by posters, not mods.

I fear that this may ultimately wind up being the case. There are areas of Spotsy that are VERY VERY rural and easier to hide a victim of foul play; this would make a heck of a lot more sense than her disappearing without a trace from a heavily populated and traversed area. :(

He may have driven the route and used his phone in the area, just to corroborate his version of events. JMO.

ITA ....I'm going to keep my theories to myself at the moment, but IMO, this is a huge possibility!

Just going to throw this out there.

What if whoever sent both texts knew that maybe Amber and Katelin's mom are not particularly close and knew they would not communicate with each other immediately, thus buying the sender of the texts more time to do whatever???

I still think the last text was made by Kaitlen herself or someone who did not know her. The text is the type of statement that can immediately alarm the recipient causing them to get in touch with someone else close to Kaitlen. If the person sending the text is known to be with Kaitlen they would have exposed themselves through their statement.

Maybe I'm giving too much credit for intelligence on the senders part. Lol

Here is what makes the most sense to me right now---[that is, IF it is not the SD that is at fault]:

Let's say, maybe, KA was uncertain about wanting to go back to AZ because she was feeling a bit trapped and did not know how to deal with it. So she had a 'friend' from back in her hometown that she was talking to about it all. [ and who knows, maybe this friend was also friends with the girl found dead in her car?]

So she has been venting with a local friend who suggests they meet up before she flies back. KA tells SD to drop her at the mall and she meets her friend and gets right into their car. They talk and KA decides to text mom so Mom won't worry and she knows Mom will be texting her soon.

Then KA is convinced by the friend not to take the flight but to hang out for awhile longer and chill and so KA texts fiance'. Afterwards, it all goes sideways....

Usually I would disagree with you , but seeing how her luggage was found less then 10 miles from the crime scene; then I might agree.

image.jpg

Ah? The flyer says she weighs 120 pounds. When infact we know from recent photos; that's not true. Also the flyer only shows pictures of her when she was little. So why would the flyer talk of any conditions she might have?

I can only say what I usually see in missing person flyers. Families will quite often disclose any issues IE: needs medication, has medical condition, autistic etc. Just my experience.

I just wanted to point out that we don’t know that Fairfax County Police aren’t involved. We just know they aren’t talking. FC police department is notoriously non-communicative and there have been a lot of high profile court cases about how they refuse to provide information even under FOIA requests. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-officer-names-routinely-withheld-/?page=all

Hoosier952 did a nice analysis of the timeline and showed she really didn’t have a lot of time to shop at the mall and someone earlier pointed out how young people are terrible at keep track of time.

So what about this scenario:
- KA says to SD drop me at the mall. I need to buy a Christmas gift for Amber.
- SD drops her at the mall.
- KA shops and doesn’t plan it all through. Is late getting to metro. Late getting to airport.
- Texts mom that she got to airport (What time??? I think this is key) and then tries to check in and is told she is too late. She texts Amber “something came up and im not coming back today. Ill let you know when i get a new flight”
- Works at the gate to get on a later flight (I have done this before. If you go standby they won’t charge you anything, but won’t guarantee anything).
- Maybe she calls SD to come back to the airport to get her. He does and they fight the whole way home about how irresponsible she is and something bad happens.
- He gets rid of her and her luggage after fight on way home

Both texts make sense in this scenario.

Was there a later flight? Did she have to wait until the next day? Did she leave the airport to look for somewhere to stay? Did she accept help from a stranger? Did she get an Uber or unlicensed cab? Maybe she didn’t want to tell mom and others because she didn’t want to hear a whole lecture about how irresponsible she was.

If any of this scenario happened she should show up on camera. But I am thinking about the Heather Graham case and how they had a lot of footage of her walking through the streets and even getting picked up by Jesse Mathews. When did they release that footage? Maybe Fairfax and TSA are being closed mouthed as they go through all the footage and searches.

It would be helpful to know what time both texts were sent to mom and GF

I just wanted to point out that we don’t know that Fairfax County Police aren’t involved. We just know they aren’t talking. FC police department is notoriously non-communicative and there have been a lot of high profile court cases about how they refuse to provide information even under FOIA requests. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-officer-names-routinely-withheld-/?page=all

Hoosier952 did a nice analysis of the timeline and showed she really didn’t have a lot of time to shop at the mall and someone earlier pointed out how young people are terrible at keep track of time.

- KA shops and doesn’t plan it all through. Is late getting to metro. Late getting to airport.
- Texts mom that she got to airport (What time??? I think this is key) and then tries to check in and is told she is too late. She texts Amber “something came up and im not coming back today. Ill let you know when i get a new flight”
- Works at the gate to get on a later flight (I have done this before. If you go standby they won’t charge you anything, but won’t guarantee anything).
- Maybe she calls SD to come back to the airport to get her. He does and they fight the whole way home about how irresponsible she is and something bad happens.

Was there a later flight? Did she have to wait until the next day? Did she leave the airport to look for somewhere to stay? Did she accept help from a stranger? Did she get an Uber or unlicensed cab? Maybe she didn’t want to tell mom and others because she didn’t want to hear a whole lecture about how irresponsible she was.

If any of this scenario happened she should show up on camera. But I am thinking about the Heather Graham case and how they had a lot of footage of her walking through the streets and even getting picked up by Jesse Mathews. When did they release that footage? Maybe Fairfax and TSA are being closed mouthed as they go through all the footage and searches.

That is a very thoughtful scenario. The only part I disagree with is the possibility that she tried to check in and/or tried to catch the later flight. If so, they would have had a record of her being at the gate. I don't think they had that.

But I do think it is possible that she spent too long at the mall, tried to get to the airport fast, and ended up agreeing to catch a ride with someone. She could have thought things were fine, was riding towards the airport, but knew she was missing the 5:40 flight. So she texted Mom just to avoid the hassle, and then told Amber she was going to be late, because she assumed she could find a later flight when she checked in. But maybe the driver surprised her and it went bad.

As you pointed out finding someone on surveillance tape is a time-consuming task, difficult and painstaking. I'm sure that accounts for some of the lack of information.

A nice graphic; potentially very informative.

I did not make the map. It was made by another poster on this thread at my request. Yes, he did a remarkable job.

(snipped for space)

If she had messed up on time and missed her flight, I don't think she would have been so vague in her text to Amber. I got the impression that the texts to her mother and fiancee were one right after the other and then her phone was turned off. Why would she turn her phone off, if she had simply missed her flight?

If Katelin was at the airport, they would have found the footage by now.

IIRC they released the videos of Hannah Graham almost immediately after it was announced she went missing.

I've been keeping up with everyone's posts throughout the case. I haven't commented until now. I just had a light go off. Maybe these texts were sent by Katelin while pleading for her life... maybe she told the abductor she was suppose to catch the flight etc attempting to scare him/her hinting people will be waiting for me looking for me etc. The abductor then possibly forced her to message Mom and Amber-- Katelin's messages may have been her cryptic cry for help.

I also had a crazy thought, what if someone on this thread is Katelin.

RSBM
Okay, so what if she had her own plans and they involved not getting on the plane that day? She would text her mom so her mom would think everything was normal, and text Amber so she wouldn't go to the airport and worry when she didn't show up. This way she could have some time unaccounted for with no one being the wiser. She might even have been planning to text her mom later that night "I've arrived but I'm tired. Talk to you tomorrow."

She would have to sure her mom and Amber wouldn't compare notes.

I know this is a lot of speculation but like everyone else I'm trying to figure out did she send one, none, or both of the texts?

But my hinky meter says she sent neither.

ITA, I don't think she sent either one. My opinion is that the text to Amber was sent so that Amber didn't get suspicious when Katelin was a no show, unfortunately for whoever did send the text, Amber got suspicious anyway. But that's JMO.

I've been keeping up with everyone's posts throughout the case. I haven't commented until now. I just had a light go off. Maybe these texts were sent by Katelin while pleading for her life... maybe she told the abductor she was suppose to catch the flight etc attempting to scare him/her hinting people will be waiting for me looking for me etc. The abductor then possibly forced her to message Mom and Amber-- Katelin's messages may have been her cryptic cry for help.

Great first post! Welcome cbs! I agree the text to Amber could have been a cryptic cry for help. And I believe Amber did react to it by contacting family members to find out what was going on. Very interesting thought...

Aren't cosmetology schools generally for-profit? Those schools are notorious for predatory lending. It might not mean she's good with money it might mean she's 15k in debt.

Actually, most community or technical colleges offer cosmetology degrees. My Aunt-in-law just retired from the local community college after teaching cosmetology for 20 yrs there.

Great first post! Welcome cbs! I agree the text to Amber could have been a cryptic cry for help. And I believe Amber did react to it by contacting family members to find out what was going on. Very interesting thought...

I agree...I just wonder why if it was a cry for help maybe moms wasn't more cryptic as well.

I agree...I just wonder why if it was a cry for help maybe moms wasn't more cryptic as well.

We don't really know what the text message to her mother said. Maybe it was cryptic but that just hasn't been released. Or maybe she felt that her mother wouldn't help her.

I don't understand why she would go to the mall. The airport has many stores, and a few that sell relatively cheap stuff. A lot of airports are like mini malls now. I don't know what to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd