SIDEBAR #58 - Travis Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a heart warming post, Hatfield :heartbeat:

Thanks Dmacky. Appreciate the nice comments from you and from everyone else.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

We had a nice Turkey dinner and my wife really liked all her presents I got her and the coloring books went over well. She thought it was a great idea for when she gets bored and to help avoid always watching TV.

The great thing is New Years Eve is coming up too so another Holiday already is coming up. Its a great time of year.

Everyone stay warm and safe.

Thanks Dmacky. Appreciate the nice comments from you and from everyone else.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

We had a nice Turkey dinner and my wife really liked all her presents I got her and the coloring books went over well. She thought it was a great idea for when she gets bored and to help avoid always watching TV.

The great thing is New Years Eve is coming up too so another Holiday already is coming up. Its a great time of year.

Everyone stay warm and safe.

Thank You Hatfield :cheerful: same goes for you and yours...:newyear: ENJOY!!

My son has been has been a volunteer with Operation BBQ Releif since the massive tornado hit Joplin, Mo., and was in Moore when that one hit. This one in Garland and Rowlett wasn't that extensive, but many have lost everything. Also the water tower in Rowlett has been severally damaged and they're draining water out. There are concerns that it will fall over on homes the surround it

Please pray for all, and if you can, and if you're lead to, please donate. If not OBR, the Red Cross, and maybe Churches or centers that are excepting donations of clothes, diapers ect.

http://www.operationbbqrelief.com

10152443_1068149259872602_3397983182138875248_n.jpg

Good morning my fellow Sidebarians < (I borrowed stole that from neesaki) :giggle:

Okay guys. I need some serious advice. Please be honest with me, and think with your heads and not with your hearts. My heart is in my way.
My daughter is a vet tech and works at an Animal hospital. There are 5 or 6 veterinarians that work there. One of the Vet's was driving home about 2 months ago and saw a dog laying in the street that had been hit by a car. She noticed other cars had been just driving around him. She thought he was dead, but as she got closer to her, he lifted his head up.
Of course, being a Dr. she picked him up and took him back to work. I don't know exactly what all happened with the little guy regarding his injuries from being hit, but I know that he did have surgery on his leg, and he now he walks with a limp. He is a beagle and about 5 years old and she just recently had him neutered. She brings him to work with her everyday, and then takes him back home. She had planned on caring for him until he was well enough to be adopted. She knows that we lost Macky, and wants my daughter (who now lives with me) to take him because she wants to make sure he goes to a loving home. She (Vet) doesn't think he was ever truly cared for. :frown:
His story is what hurts my HEART so bad. all above.^^^

My dilemmas and CONS
1. First of all I am not ready for another dog
2. I would NEVER choose a beagle. I am not capable of giving him the physical exercise he will need daily.
3. If I was choosing a dog, it would definitely be a girl. Unless the little fella was neutered at a very young age. (He was not)

I agreed to a test run.

His eyes will melt your heart. Sweetest little guy in the world. He walks with a limp, which may or may not improve. That makes no difference to me at all. What DOES make a difference is he hiked and peed all over my walls on my carpet. This is AFTER my daughter walked him for an half and hour. After I took him outside 3 times. After my daughter took him out 4 times!!!! I am not exaggerating either. She brought him home one day at 4:30, and he went back the next day at noon. And not one time did he pee outside. The Dr. said he was housebroken...said he never pee's in her house? She said he hikes on their tree. We don't have any tree's in our yard. That' why I prefer girl dogs. I'm not fond of dogs hiking! I know/think? it's instinctual for male dogs... I still get a chuckle when I think of my first male 6 week old male pup, Mr. Bojangles. The first morning Bo was at my house he ran straight out to a big tree in my yard, and lifted the WRONG leg :giggle: he peed away from it.

Back to Chase, the name the Dr. gave this little beagle. I just last night found out the Vet that nursed him back to health has 3 bigger dogs that do not like Chase, and her husband has NOTHING to do with him...So the little guy is kept in a crate the whole time! He likes his crate though, she sent it home with us ~ and also a dog bed during the trial run. So apparently, he is crated at her house and then also at the Veterinarian's where he goes each day :frown: No wonder he never pee's in her house.

DD just called up there and Chase has been there during all of Christmas holiday :frown: (They also board animals/pets there )

So my heart says YES, that furbaby needs a forever home and he deserves to be loved for once in his life.

Another problem is I will be selling this big arse house, hopefully in spring. It is much too big for Me, now that hubby and kids have gone. I'd like to downsize to a condo. And I don't want my carpet ruined!!!

ETA
Oh well, never mind.....I just caved and agreed to take him in. I can't bear to think of the little guy caged most of the time. All the workers there have paid a lot of attention to him, especially my DD...she says he wags his tail and runs to her every time she passes...
We shall see.

Morning! :wave:

Thank you Spellbound for the link to Steven Avery case!

I followed those cases - Julie Schenecker and Bob Bashara! Didn't know there were books out! Thanks! I'll check those out! :read:

ILikeToBendPages - glad to hear you and your family are okay!! I saw Garland, Texas and "knew" you lived around there! :luv:

Nore said:
my took my whole post !!!!!!!! :tantrum: :gaah:

Do what I do - write on your "Notepad" and than copy and paste on the reply box! Hope you are feeling better! :loveyou:

Hatfield said:
I was at an office party one time and they did something similar to that which was a ton of laughs. Some have probably heard about the game called "Dirty Santa". Link below describes it. A ton of laughs and good time.

"The person with #1 picks a gift to open from the pile. The person with #2 can choose to open another package or steal the gift from #1. If a gift is stolen, the person who had it then steals from someone else or picks another gift to open."

Oh - we had Christmas parties like that at HP when I worked there - a TON of FUN!! :happydance:

Dmacky - get instructions on "how" to train your new dog! We've had German Shepherds, but they were more outside dogs than inside - so had no problems training them to "ask" to go out! LOL! Hope you have fun with your new puppy beagle!!

Miss your posts YESorNO!!!! :cry: Hope you're back with us SOON!! :luv:

We didn't get any low snow... darn!! :snowball: Just more rain. Going to be 45 today, with a low of 35! COLD!! Brrrrr.....

Okay - off to read Steven Avery's thread!

:santahat:

I don't think I've posted this picture yet... :waitasec:

Attachments

• CatPajamas.jpg
    CatPajamas.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 73
Dmacky, so glad you agreed to take the dog. Sometimes the best things in life come when we least expect them. I hope this is one of those times.

Since he marked his territory in your home, I guess he decided it was the place he wanted to call home. I have a male dog and he is a kind, gentle soul. He is the perfect companion for Zuri, who is very alpha, high drive, high energy.

I love think about our are a lovely, kind hearted soul. Thank God for wonderful people like you.

Good morning my fellow Sidebarians < (I borrowed stole that from neesaki) :giggle:

Okay guys. I need some serious advice. Please be honest with me, and think with your heads and not with your hearts. My heart is in my way.
My daughter is a vet tech and works at an Animal hospital. There are 5 or 6 veterinarians that work there. One of the Vet's was driving home about 2 months ago and saw a dog laying in the street that had been hit by a car. She noticed other cars had been just driving around him. She thought he was dead, but as she got closer to her, he lifted his head up.
Of course, being a Dr. she picked him up and took him back to work. I don't know exactly what all happened with the little guy regarding his injuries from being hit, but I know that he did have surgery on his leg, and he now he walks with a limp. He is a beagle and about 5 years old and she just recently had him neutered. She brings him to work with her everyday, and then takes him back home. She had planned on caring for him until he was well enough to be adopted. She knows that we lost Macky, and wants my daughter (who now lives with me) to take him because she wants to make sure he goes to a loving home. She (Vet) doesn't think he was ever truly cared for. :frown:

My dilemmas and CONS
2. I would NEVER choose a beagle. I am not capable of giving him the physical exercise he will need daily.
3. If I was choosing a dog, it would definitely be a girl. Unless the little fella was neutered at a very young age. (He was not)

I agreed to a test run.

His eyes will melt your heart. Sweetest little guy in the world. He walks with a limp, which may or may not improve. That makes no difference to me at all. What DOES make a difference is he hiked and peed all over my walls on my carpet. This is AFTER my daughter walked him for an half and hour. After I took him outside 3 times. After my daughter took him out 4 times!!!! I am not exaggerating either. She brought him home one day at 4:30, and he went back the next day at noon. And not one time did he pee outside. The Dr. said he was housebroken...said he never pee's in her house? She said he hikes on their tree. We don't have any tree's in our yard. That' why I prefer girl dogs. I'm not fond of dogs hiking! I know/think? it's instinctual for male dogs... I still get a chuckle when I think of my first male 6 week old male pup, Mr. Bojangles. The first morning Bo was at my house he ran straight out to a big tree in my yard, and lifted the WRONG leg :giggle: he peed away from it.

Back to Chase, the name the Dr. gave this little beagle. I just last night found out the Vet that nursed him back to health has 3 bigger dogs that do not like Chase, and her husband has NOTHING to do with him...So the little guy is kept in a crate the whole time! He likes his crate though, she sent it home with us ~ and also a dog bed during the trial run. So apparently, he is crated at her house and then also at the Veterinarian's where he goes each day :frown: No wonder he never pee's in her house.

DD just called up there and Chase has been there during all of Christmas holiday :frown: (They also board animals/pets there )

So my heart says YES, that furbaby needs a forever home and he deserves to be loved for once in his life.

Another problem is I will be selling this big arse house, hopefully in spring. It is much too big for Me, now that hubby and kids have gone. I'd like to downsize to a condo. And I don't want my carpet ruined!!!

ETA
Oh well, never mind.....I just caved and agreed to take him in. I can't bear to think of the little guy caged most of the time. All the workers there have paid a lot of attention to him, especially my DD...she says he wags his tail and runs to her every time she passes...
We shall see.

Dmacky maybe he was marking his spot? As to boys hiking their legs to pee? Mona and Eva do too. And for exercise, get a tennis ball (don't need much it's just fetch, but it's exercise) and play fetch. Mona loves loves tennis balls (dh buys many brand new unopened at garage sales and thrift stores so we have close to twenty of them.) We have twenty five feet between the halls on each side of the living room, and we play catch there. It does get harder when three dogs run at the same time.

I love crate training, but not that like and all the time. That's the same as neglect and abuse to leave them like that. I'd give him a chance to help ease my conscious, in case things don't work out, At least I'd know I'd done something to help the little guy.

Dmacky, I am really glad you made the decision to keep Chase. Beagles are my all-time favorite dog. They have a wonderful temperament. My heart would have said yes, but my brain might have said "take your time". Who can resist a beagle's eyes?

My son has a beagle-Bassett who likes to lift his leg when he comes over. I do believe his is marking his territory and trying to cover the smell of my dogs. However I just have to be observant -- sometimes I may need to holler loudly "don't" or get out the squirt bottle, and that seems to stop it. Patience and persistence may help. Always be particularly observant when he enters new territory/homes.

Do you have a fenced area? Beagles are known to want to chase little animals (squirrels, rabbits) so that can be a problem. But they are so loyal and loving, and full of expression. I bet he grows on you quickly. And they can live quite nicely in smaller areas. Give him lots of play times and chew toys if he is too energetic. I like putting tiny bits of food into a treat toy and let them roll it around to work out some of their friskiness. Keep treats to a minimum to avoid weight gain.

Maybe use the crate at night or when you are away, and always leave the door open when he is loose. He may be so used to it that he will continue to think of it as his comfort zone. GOOD LUCK!!

My dilemmas and CONS

I agreed to a test run.

ETA
We shall see.

So happy to hear you are helping him out.

It may take some time before he will learn outside all the time. In the meantime perhaps closing doors to certain rooms to at least minimize the rooms he could have accidents in.

They also still make those doggy gates or young child gates that can be used to close off a hallway or room. We have 3 of them. LOL

Good luck with his progress and so happy you have decided to care for him.

Just wanted to share something else that has worked for me about those retractable leashes. I get the large ones even for my small dog so it is longer and what I always do is pull it all the way out and lock it with the little button so my dog has a long line of free line. It helps him think he is free when I walk him. You just have to be careful if near cars or other animals then I push the button and reel him in to keep him closer.

And I do have to untangle his feet often with that method but he really likes the freedom of nothing pulling on his neck when outside unless he gets to the very end which seldom happens because they stay kind of close to you anyway.

We don't have a fenced yard so that method works for me to make him think he is free when we go out for our walk. LOL

P
Dmacky, so glad you agreed to take the dog. Sometimes the best things in life come when we least expect them. I hope this is one of those times.

Since he marked his territory in your home, I guess he decided it was the place he wanted to call home. I have a male dog and he is a kind, gentle soul. He is the perfect companion for Zuri, who is very alpha, high drive, high energy.

I love think you are a lovely, kind hearted soul. Thank God for wonderful people like you.
This should read "I think you are a lovely, kind hearted soul.

I normally don't post much about personal things going on in my life, but wanted to let you all know that my dear sweet cousin passed away unexpectedly Christmas day. She was only 39 and so beautiful. We have to say our final goodbyes to her on Wednesday. The most heartbreaking thing is her three young daughters just don't understand why she is gone. I normally have words aplenty but the words just won't come to help ease their pain. I will be MIA for awhile but just want you all to know that I hope each and every one of you have a Happy and safe New Year. :(

I normally don't post much about personal things going on in my life, but wanted to let you all know that my dear sweet cousin passed away unexpectedly Christmas day. She was only 39 and so beautiful. We have to say our final goodbyes to her on Wednesday. The most heartbreaking thing is her three young daughters just don't understand why she is gone. I normally have words aplenty but the words just won't come to help ease their pain. I will be MIA for awhile but just want you all to know that I hope each and every one of you have a Happy and safe New Year. :(

Thank you for sharing with us. We all send you hugs and support, I am sure. :grouphug:

I lost a favorite cousin on Chriatmas Eve when I was about age 11. Not a Christmas season goes by 50+ years later that I don't think of him and the phone call we received, just like it was yesterday still. Those young girls will most likely have a similar memory, and will need special people to understand that it is always in the back of their kind when the next holiday seasons come around. For now, just give them plenty of hugs and the chance to speak whatever comes to their kinds and reassure them Mom is always in their hearts.

Will be thinking of you and sending prayers for the whole family.

For anyone reading on the "Making a Murderer" thread, I just want to say that there is a poster there who, IMO, has almost totally hijacked it. I've gotten to the point where I simply scroll past his posts.

It's not just that there are so many posts, but their sooooo long! And he says the same thing over and over again. He invariably ends them by asking for others' opinions, but when people do pipe in, he gets defensive. WTH?

One woman (I believe that she's British), has called him out on it a few times. I would never do that, but I liked it.

Just posting about this here as it was a reminder to me of how civil the discourse is here, and how much I appreciate it! :)

From my niece's facebook page. "Public Service Announcement:" check the owner's manual for the filling limits on your new blender before loading it chock full of homemade chicken broth you've been simmering all morning and organic veggies to make the tortilla soup you and the kids have been looking forward to since Christmas. Because what MIGHT happen is too much warm liquid will cause the powerful motor to cast aside the lid and violently fling the ingredients about the kitchen, ceiling, and in your eyes & hair like a tornado hitting a salsa bar. Also, minuscule shards of tomato, cilantro, onion, carrots, yellow pepper and corn are really hard to clean from your hair and the grooves of every cabinet and baseboard in the kitchen. You're welcome, friends.

Afluenza teen captured ...is in custody with his mother in Mexico...

I thought there was a thread here but I cannot find it

Holiday greetings, everyone.
I just wanted to pop in for a moment, give everyone a hug in the SB Cul-de-sac.

Words fail me.
And there's so much I want to say.

Every one of you, is the loveliest of souls.

May old dreams come to pass, and new dreams begin, in this New Year!

Dmacky~you are so soft hearted and sweet! Give the new dog a try, I am sure it will work out for everyone :) God Bless your sweet soul, my friend :)

Good Morning and SMILE!!
Smiling is infectious,
You can catch it like the flu.
Someone smiled at me today,
And I started smiling too.

We had a break in the rain yesterday and the sun came out for about 30 minutes and this is what happened ~ a double rainbow! It was amazing...
But the clouds soon returned and it's still raining! Many roads are flooded...calling for the rains to stop this morning and cold front came through last night. But, for that brief moment we had yesterday when God painted the sky for us, gave us hope that there is an end in sight :)

Attachments

• 1933955_926510710780413_7002124676844685829_n.jpg
    1933955_926510710780413_7002124676844685829_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors