GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading the Mexican news about it and what I can tell you is this. EC has 72 hours to ratify his petition for amparo (literal translation it refuge, but this does not mean he would be a refugee, ok?) and then a judge has to hear the case. I don't think he has a case for amparo, as that recourse seeks to make sure your individual rights are not violated. Makes little to no sense to ask for amparo.

If I was momma Twerp, I would rather have punkin in a clean US jail. Mexican detention centers are not Club Med.

I agree, he's going to get his eyes opened in a Mexican jail. He'll wish he was back home with mama but something tells me it may take awhile because too much money seems to be flowing to the Mexican side, why not drag it out awhile.

I don't hate this kid but the defense of affluence made me do it because i didn't know better makes me wretch. If everyone didn't know any better what a defense that would be. We grew up in a poor hood without a Daddy or Mom to teach us better. He needed more than a slap on the wrist. Then to skip an appointment with his probation officer ( he already had his chance)

What can anyone really say about mom, it speaks for itself. Good parenting mom, you deserve an award. Some things money can't buy.

I'm a little surprised at the hatred in this case. This is a stupid teen, drunk, given too much privilege, accidentally drove his truck into a group of 4 innocent people and horrifically, killed them. Another boy who was on his truck is now paralyzed. So sad.

But compare this to Kenneth McDuff, or other purposeful mass murderers. Kenneth McDuff killed untold numbers of women, by torturing them to death. He was on death row but his mother's influence got him RELEASED, at which time he tortured at least four more innocent young women to death.

There wasn't this kind of outrage in his crimes.

I'm honestly asking, why is there this international outrage in this case? When there are so MANY other more horrific criminals, who purposely commit many murders, why are we all so fascinated by hating this one boy who accidentally killed 4 people? Because he was driving drunk, which many teenagers do?

I'm honestly asking. What makes everyone hate this boy so much in Texas?

Because if you have time on your hands, google Kenneth McDuff. Or WORSE, google Dean Coryll. If you want to hate on evil in Texas, hate on that. I'm sorry, I'm just baffled why this upper middle class boy who accidentally (horrifically, it is a true sadness) killed 4 people has engendered such fury.

After everyone has read through Kenneth McDuff and Dean Coryll, I doubt anyone would feel quite the same venom for Ethan Couch.

I don’t really hate him so much as I hate everybody like him. Which is the entire elitist ruling class of the United States. Their arrogance and sense of entitlement is beyond belief. It’s not just this kid. It’s his parents, his friends, it’s his entire culture. They think they are so important that they should be able to literally kill people and face no consequences.

I think it’s just part of the income inequality problem in the US. I think if we started transferring the wealth back down from the 1% to the 99%, where it belongs, it would put everybody on a more even footing, and their arrogance would start to wear off pretty quickly.

I've been reading the Mexican news about it and what I can tell you is this. EC has 72 hours to ratify his petition for amparo (literal translation it refuge, but this does not mean he would be a refugee, ok?) and then a judge has to hear the case. I don't think he has a case for amparo, as that recourse seeks to make sure your individual rights are not violated. Makes little to no sense to ask for amparo.

If I was momma Twerp, I would rather have punkin in a clean US jail. Mexican detention centers are not Club Med.

I think they are just going to try and drag it out for months, until his legal issues in the US are past.

I don’t really hate him so much as I hate everybody like him. Which is the entire elitist ruling class of the United States. Their arrogance and sense of entitlement is beyond belief. It’s not just this kid, there are many more like him. They think they are so important that they should be able to literally kill people and face no consequences.

I think it’s just part of the income inequality problem in the US. I think if we started transferring the wealth back down from the 1% to the 99%, where it belongs, it would put everybody on a more even footing, and their arrogance would start to wear off pretty quickly.

In a group of 300 million people there will always be a number 1 and there will always be a number 300 million. The whole tax code needs changed in this country for all and for the country. Even apple the largest corporation in the US pays taxes in Ireland I believe, saving themselves lets see.

In the U.S., the corporate tax rate can be as high as 35% of income. Ireland's tax rate is 12.5%, and by using various complicated international accounting maneuvers

In 2012, Apple's "foreign base sales income" was about $25 billion, according to the Senate report, and it avoided paying $9 billion in taxes on that income:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-money-apple-avoids-paying-in-taxes-2014-6

My apologies if this has been posted:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-article-1.2480537

The Couches allegedly lied about their names to investigators and failed to show legal migratory papers and identification.

That wealth took the Couches only so far in Mexico, where they reportedly stayed at the swanky Los Tules resort along the city’s beach before downgrading to a four-story building with a decaying clay tile awning

They even had something that was almost akin to a going-away party before leaving town

I have read two different stories on TC....one she has no criminal history....the 2nd one is she does have a criminal history. Does anyone know which is the real story?

I wonder what 'they' told (lied about) the Mexican authorities to get the Mexicans to allow him more time there. Does anyone know who the Mexican lawyers are?

She's baaaaack!

I guess she couldn't get away with not having her picture taken this time. :p

PHOTO: Authorities arrest "affluenza" teen's mom Tonya Couch after she arrived at Los Angeles airport from Mexico: http://apne.ws/1PyXtpz
https://twitter.com/AP

View attachment 86356

View attachment 86357
First images of Tonya Couch arriving at LAX (via @CNNNewsource) More vid coming on @CBSDFW #EthanCouch
https://twitter.com/kyleweeks

If she does not stand still for her USA mug shot, one of these pics will do.

I have read two different stories on TC....one she has no criminal history....the 2nd one is she does have a criminal history. Does anyone know which is the real story?

In 2003 Tonya ran a motorist off the road, paid a $500 fine and had 6 months community service.
http://heavy.com/news/2015/12/tonya-fred-ethan-couch-parents-facebook-twitter-texas-missing/

That's the only thing I have seen anywhere that she was found guilty of.

Here's her old mugshot
3.jpg

I wonder what 'they' told (lied about) the Mexican authorities to get the Mexicans to allow him more time there

I saw this tweet yesterday. I wonder how much that had to do with it?
"Authorities in MX say Couch's were traveling w/ dog that was taken from them. That was part of their argument for illegal detention @cbsdfw"

https://twitter.com/cbs11ken

I can obviously only speak for myself. I don't hate Ethan. I don't even know him. What makes me angry is that he was given a second chance many others did not get, and he had every opportunity to turn his life around at that point. Instead of doing so, he continued on with seemingly no conscience to the point where he literally flees when he yet again faces the consequences of his actions. This is incredibly hurtful to the families whose loved ones were the victims of Ethan's actions.

Their family members were not just victims of 'an accident'. They were victims of a teenager who knowingly and willingly made the choice to drink and drive and drive way too fast at that. Then, when faced with the fact he killed four people, is seemingly only concerned about himself and how he can continue on with his cushy life. Again, incredibly hurtful to the families of the victims.

There are MANY horrific cases out there. Just because I am posting about my anger here, does not mean I don't care about any of the other cases. Heck, the main case I care about isn't even here on Websleuths. Just MOO but I find it a little bit insulting that you're suggesting we should hate on other evil in Texas instead. Who says we don't? If I am consoling a friend who has cancer, that doesn't mean I'm not also able to care about and console a friend who had a heart attack... (or whichever medical circumstances one wants to compare).

:moo:

BBM. I have thought about this. How different it would be if he was a sober man today and even saying publicly ' thank you for the 2nd chance, i almost threw my life away. i want to talk to other teens to help them avoid what i did .'' And how about a sincere APOLOGY to your victims and the familes? How about even acknowledging how many lives were torn apart by your actions? We do occasionally see these people who tour the country and speak at high schools and kid's groups about life choices and turning it around and living for something other than partying. He could BE that poster boy. He could have done something positive with this. And yes there are tons and tons of ' kids' in prison who made one mistake and threw their lives away and are much , much more deserving of the second chance than Ethan Couch. And probably this episode will make it harder for first time offenders to get probation in the future. Other judges are not going to want this happening on their watch.

In 2003 Tonya ran a motorist off the road, paid a $500 fine and had 6 months community service.
http://heavy.com/news/2015/12/tonya-fred-ethan-couch-parents-facebook-twitter-texas-missing/

That's the only thing I have seen anywhere that she was found guilty of.

Here's her old mugshot
View attachment 86359

I saw this tweet yesterday. I wonder how much that had to do with it?
"Authorities in MX say Couch's were traveling w/ dog that was taken from them. That was part of their argument for illegal detention @cbsdfw"

https://twitter.com/cbs11ken

What a smug face. I bet she didn't think she would be coming back to the US in cuffs.

You must be right, since early on authorities said something like, "They will have food and a bed." It made me think they're lucky to have a bed at all, and certainly it wouldn't have a pillowtop.

The immigration holding pens might have been more pleasant, though, than the fleabag flat they rented....

http://app4.lasd.org/iic/ajis_search.cfm

She was booked into the Los Angeles County Jail at 1:37 (PST) this morning.

She is listed as "No Bond" because her arrest is based upon an out-of-state (Texas) arrest warrant.

Any bond will be determined after she is booked in Texas.

There is a standard extradition process to facilitate her transfer from California to Texas.

I would think she won't fight that lost cause because she would remain locked up in LA County while that played out, but no telling what she thinks is her best next course.

She's baaaaack!

I guess she couldn't get away with not having her picture taken this time. :p

PHOTO: Authorities arrest "affluenza" teen's mom Tonya Couch after she arrived at Los Angeles airport from Mexico: http://apne.ws/1PyXtpz
https://twitter.com/AP

She didn't cut her hair? But instead called attention to it by painting it that glow-in-the-dark carrot color?:silly: She shoulda got a faux hawk.

What a smug face. I bet she didn't think she would be coming back to the US in cuffs.

Yes, she looks quite shocked! Strung out, too. Drug charges?

Mexico could have deported MamaTwerp and Brattwerp for drug charges, maybe?

The entire family has a long, long history with law enforcement. It’s been discussed up-thread.

SO GLAD these two were found. I watched the 20/20 episode on Ethan recently, and was horrified because I hadn't known all the details of the crash, how bad it was. My goodness. One stranded driver and three good samaritans, killed in the blink of an eye. One passenger in Ethan's truck completely, permanently paralyzed -- can only communicate through blinking. Many others traumatized and changed for life. And he's never apologized. Nor have his parents. They've settled every suit with cold hard cash, and NO ADMITTANCE OF GUILT. Appalling.

It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it. But it may upset/enrage you.
https://youtu.be/Lx6q1F3bhYo

The D Magazine article is chock full of examples of the Couches' horrible parenting. Wow.

Let's see:
  • Dad was pulled over for DUI in 1992 and told the officer “I make more in a day than you make in a year.” (this part of the deposition is shown on 20/20)
  • Mom was charged with reckless driving for running a car off the road at some point (no year noted)
  • Mom allegedly had/has a pill addiction and had given Vicodin to 9 yo Ethan
  • Mom referred to 9 yo Ethan as her protector and shared a bedroom with him
  • Dad has a short fuse and was allegedly verbally and physically abusive to Mom, often in front of Ethan
  • LE called to house frequently for domestic disturbance
  • Dad punched someone at a construction site once (curious about the details)
  • After the divorce, neither parent followed court-mandated visitation schedules
  • Mom and Dad had a highly contentious relationship, and young Ethan felt caught in the middle
  • Dad let 13 yo Ethan drive himself to private school, then removed Ethan from said school when the founder expressed concern about it. Said "Ethan doesn't need college anyway" (because the school's focus is on early college enrollment)
  • When Dad (supposedly) tried to punish Ethan by taking away possessions (including his truck) or privileges, Mom would give them back and/or let Ethan borrow her truck
  • Dad found 14 yo Ethan passed out drunk one 4th of July, his main reaction was annoyance that Ethan wouldn't be able to shoot off fireworks with him
  • Mom and Dad allowed 16 yo Ethan to stay/live alone and unsupervised at the Burleson house
  • Mom covered for Ethan after his Feb 2013 run-in with LE in multiple ways: lied to Dad, paid Ethan’s fines and court fees, and when he didn’t complete the required alcohol awareness class and community service hours, she said it was her fault, that she’d “misread the online thing.”
  • Mom and Dad sent Ethan to a posh, luxurious rehab program in California after the crash, then pulled him out early against doctor's advice

Aye yi yi. Both Ethan and Mom need to do jail time, IMO. Please, please don't let them buy their way out this time... :please:

She'll be out of jail before most of us finish eating lunch today............

This family obviously has attorneys working overtime on their behalf.

She'll be out of jail before most of us finish eating lunch today............

This family obviously has attorneys working overtime on their behalf.

I believe she has got to get back to Texas first. So it might be a little after lunch. LOL.

Does the state of Texas not have a law where parents are held responsible for underage drinking in their homes? IfIn this had happened in my state, the parents would have been at fault!

In Texas, parents are allowed to give permission for their underage children to drink alcohol if they are at all times within sight of the child. There is no provision for giving OTHER children alcohol, and is a crime.

My 20 y/o asked for a glass of Chardonnay with Thanksgiving dinner. We allowed it. We would not have allowed a drunken evening, and we would not have provided alcohol to other minors. This is pretty much the purpose of the law, to give the parents discretion to decide how they want to handle the issues surrounding alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288