FL - Mother shoots daughter, mistaking her for intruder

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
ST. CLOUD, Fla. — Police in central Florida say a mother mistook her daughter for an intruder and shot her to death.

St. Cloud police Sgt. Denise Roberts said Wednesday the mother was asleep when she heard someone enter her home late Tuesday.

The mother told police she heard footsteps approaching quickly so she fired a single shot. She then discovered the person was her 27-year-old daughter.

The daughter was taken to a hospital where she died.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/4996361-181/police-florida-mother-shoots-daughter

Do mother and daughter live together?

How hard would it be to feign sleep and make this look like shooting an intruder?

I wonder if that loaded weapon was always by her side.

Had the same questions bluesneakers by the time I got to the end of the article, along with did mom shoot through a closed door or an open door? Even if the door was closed, she must have known someone was on the other side in order to shoot.

Had the same questions bluesneakers by the time I got to the end of the article, along with did mom shoot through a closed door or an open door? Even if the door was closed, she must have known someone was on the other side in order to shoot.

I assumed open door and in the dark, because she heard her approaching and managed to hit her with only one shot.

. Sources tell WESH 2 News the mother is a dispatcher with a local law enforcement agency.
http://www.wesh.com/news/woman-fata...istaking-her-for-intruder-police-say/37190014

Am I the only one who would just holler "Who is it? I have a loaded gun."
If it is an actual perp odds are that they will be scared off.
If it is your daughter/sister/mother/father/brother/son/other family member they will identify themselves.
I cannot imagine just shooting because you hear footsteps in your house!

Then again I don't live alone so it's not unusual....
But still, I can't imagine shooting without establishing there is a threat.
Maybe that's why I've never seen the need for a gun.
By the time *I* would be willing to use it, wouldn't be much help to me anyway.
(I don't trust myself much obviously.)

If it is your daughter/sister/mother/father/brother/son/other family member they will identify themselves.

If you live alone, and you hear someone coming into the home, I can see why you would not call out. The element of surprise is an important defense thing.

I think it was the daughter who should have called out. At the very least she should have called her mom before entering the home. I have a key to my daughters apt. I would never enter at night when she was asleep. I would call and tell her I was coming in before hand.

Some insightful posts ^.

I wonder whether
- Dau lived w Mom in that home.
- Mom & Dau were on good terms.
- Dau had key or alarm-access code to home.
- Dau knew Mom had a gun.

Regardless of answers to ^ above, sad, sad, sad.

If you live alone, and you hear someone coming into the home, I can see why you would not call out. The element of surprise is an important defense thing.

I think it was the daughter who should have called out. At the very least she should have called her mom before entering the home. I have a key to my daughters apt. I would never enter at night when she was asleep. I would call and tell her I was coming in before hand.

Mother didn't live alone. She lived with her husband (who is in law enforcement) and is a step-dad of the daughter. He was in the home and supposedly sleeping. He is the one who called 911 but didn't even mention the gun shot. So this mother was so scared but she didn't wake her husband (who is in law enforcement, so presumably fully capable of defense) yet shot at the supposed intruder. I personally think that's a bit peculiar (to say the least).

Maybe not peculiar if Mom and Stepdad were sleeping in separate rooms?
If Mom had to pass the "intruder" to get to stepdad?
Definitely weird a cop didn't mention the gunshot though.
You'd think he would have heard it or seen evidence of it when doing first aid...

Maybe not peculiar if Mom and Stepdad were sleeping in separate rooms?
If Mom had to pass the "intruder" to get to stepdad?
Definitely weird a cop didn't mention the gunshot though.
You'd think he would have heard it or seen evidence of it when doing first aid...

If mother and step-father are sleeping in separate rooms, and she hears someone in the house, how does she know she isn't shooting at the step-father? Why exactly would she think there was an intruder in the house as opposed to step-father walking around?
And from what the article says, not only he doesn't mention the gunshot, he claimed daughter collapsed because she had heart problems.

Part of being responsible with a gun in your own home is to say something before shooting. We have loaded guns in our bedroom. If I'm up in the middle of the night and my DH gets startled, he doesn't grab a gun and start shooting. He says "Deb?"

Seems like we hear stories like this at least once a year. And I want to say, the last time, IIRC, it was also a LE officer who shot his own Daughter. Sad!

(I don't trust myself much obviously.)

This is me exactly. I would be too cautious with a loaded gun, to the point where it wouldn't really help me in a surprise attack situ.

This story is a bit fishy. Hopefully more info will clear things up, here, but it sounds "off".

Part of being responsible with a gun in your own home is to say something before shooting.

No need to give a warning if you live alone and don't have people walking in unannounced.

If you live with others then yes, being responsible means doing a family head count OR calling out. That is also why folks have super bright lights on their home defense weapons (to identify and also blind targets).

The story does sound very fishy.

This is just so tragic. I am wondering if there is some misreporting and the mother has a heart condition, which is why she is in the hospital. The step dad would have obviously heard the gun shot IMO. I would imagine they live in a heightened sense of alert as he is an undercover narcotics officer. Oh my :(. The mother will never ever forgive herself.

Her step dad lived in the house, so obviously the bio dad didn't. Step dad is in law enforcement. Step dad called 911 but didn't mention gun shot and said she collapsed because of heart condition.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/police-mother-shoots-kills-daughter-after-mistakin/nptHY/

This is just so tragic. I am wondering if there is some misreporting and the mother has a heart condition, which is why she is in the hospital. The step dad would have obviously heard the gun shot IMO. I would imagine they live in a heightened sense of alert as he is an undercover narcotics officer. Oh my :(. The mother will never ever forgive herself.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

An undercover OFFICER did not hear the gunshot? Did not recognize the gunshot? Even from deep sleep, I don't believe hearing a gunshot would remotely sound like a body hitting the floor. Was he in the bed next to the mother when she fired?

This is weird, IMO.

It's not misreporting. You can listen to the actual 911 call. He claims step-daughter is passed out, not the mother. He claims step daughter has the heart condition. Mother is heard screaming on the phone, doesn't mention the gun shot either as far as I could tell.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ally-shot-killed-daughter-20151230-story.html

Another funky thing. According to some msm reports, police supposedly said daughter was visiting from North Carolina. Yet I found an article that claims daughter was working in a school in Saint Cloud and they verified this with the school. So was the daughter visiting from another state or was she living in Florida in the same town?

Another funky thing. According to some msm reports, police supposedly said daughter was visiting from North Carolina. Yet I found an article that claims daughter was working in a school in Saint Cloud and they verified this with the school. So was the daughter visiting from another state or was she living in Florida in the same town?

I wonder if Mom and Step-Dad told police she was visiting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back