CA CA - Oceanside, HispFem 345UFCA, 15-25, long hair in single braid, Aug'99

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a postmortem photo of this Jane Doe, and I didn't think the official recon looked that close. So I created my own recon, and am starting a thread for her.

The Doe Network:
Case File 345UFCA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/345ufca.html

(Not in NamUs)

345UFCA.jpg
30f75b36-85c4-42db-92d0-fd9f08fc35bd.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Hispanic Female

The victim was discovered on August 11, 1999 in Oceanside, San Diego County, California.
The apparent cause of death was trauma to the head, there were no other injuries.
Estimated Date of Death: August 11, 1999

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20 - 34 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'1"-5'3"; 135 - 143 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Long, wavy black hair that she wore in a single braid; brown eyes. Tweezed eyebrows, manicured and painted nails, 6" Surgical scar on outer left knee.
Dentals: Available
Clothing: She wore a green mock turtleneck T-shirt, blue zip-up pants with a button, white socks and blue and white Reebok shoes. She wore no jewelry and was carrying no miscellaneous items.
Other: The victim has had a baby within the past year.

Case History
The victim was found in a drainage ditch in the area of Airport Road and Benet Road near the tow yards in an unincorporated area in the northeast part of Oceanside.
The crime occurred at other location. This was apparent by the lack of evidence at the scene.

Detectives canvassed businesses such as nightclubs that young people frequent but found no one who recognized her. Her dental records were researched, the flier was circulated among Mexican law enforcement officials, and her case was entered into the violent-crime database.
Nothing came of their efforts. They did not know where she was killed, so they were unable to gather evidence from the scene.

The first person who comes to mind is Maria Cantua who disappeared in January 1999 from Calexico (about 150 miles away) with her two young children. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cantua_maria_teresa.html

She's the right age, right height, and right general appearance though her style is so different I can't really tell if there's a resemblance. Her picture's so fuzzy I can't even tell if she has short hair or is wearing it pulled back.

What a blurry postmortem! Wonder why there are no rule outs.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
What about Loreno Franco? She went missing from Palo Alto 5 months previous with her daughter Julisa Razon who was born in March 1998.

I added Claudia Campos to the comparison image from Bit Of Hopes comment. Not sure if she had bore a child.

Lorena Franco – The Charley Project
The Doe Network: Case File 2532DFMX

Hi Nate-Bro, thank you for making a side-by-side. I noticed I totally forgot to put a link in for Claudia Campos. I think Lorena Franco is a very interesting find. She is in the age range (would have become 20 in may 1999), the height is in range 5'0 (UID 5'1 estimated), she had a child within approx. a year before Jane Doe's body was found, looks like to have wavy hair and her front tooth is somehow protruding.

Looking at the nose of Jane Doe it looks like her nose is a little crooked (maybe have been broken?) In Lorena' picture this is impossible to see. Although no jewelry were found on Jane Doe, I wonder if she had pierced ears. I can't find that in the files, but the body was already "far gone" so she might have. Lorena seems to wear earrings.

From the Doe Network file
Location of Discovery: Oceanside, San Diego County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Same day
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Same day but not recognizable......and there is a post mortem picture....doesn't make sense.

Did anybody submitted Lorena Franco?

There are multiple major discrepancies among the sources. The Namus file includes a photo of a press release the Los Angeles county sheriff's office sent out in October 1973--It says she was found August 11, 1973, but the clothing description is the same. She was 14-19 and found in a grave with an estimated 30-90 days postmortem per the 1973 notice; Doenetwork and Namus now say she was older, 20-30 and found in a drainage ditch about 1 day postmortem. The clothes have a similar description but different brands, and the shirt is quite different.

Is there a second, older, unidentified case from the same area?

There are multiple major discrepancies among the sources. The Namus file includes a photo of a press release the Los Angeles county sheriff's office sent out in October 1973--It says she was found August 11, 1973, but the clothing description is the same. She was 14-19 and found in a grave with an estimated 30-90 days postmortem per the 1973 notice; Doenetwork and Namus now say she was older, 20-30 and found in a drainage ditch about 1 day postmortem. The clothes have a similar description but different brands, and the shirt is quite different.

Is there a second, older, unidentified case from the same area?

I hate this kinds of discrepanties.....If there are more persons found..I can understand...if not It's just a sloppy job.

The way this poor woman was disposed.. Definitely makes me think it was either a sloppy job or the murderer was convinced that no one would even notify our Jane Doe's disappearence.

I do wonder why it was noted specifically that local night clubs have been checked-in by the detectives.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current NamUs exclusion list for this Jane Doe?
2 Missing Person Exclusions

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #Maria Magdalena Lainez Matamoros
Date of Last ContactJanuary 01, 1999
StateCA
CountySan Diego

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP6302Erika Limon
Date of Last ContactJuly 22, 1999
StateCA
CountyLos Angeles

"Body leads to homicide investigation," North County Times [Oceanside, CA], 12 August 1999, B3.
Body leads to homicide investigation_.jpg
A local man who was walking to work discovered the body at 7:48 a.m., Jones said.

He said the man flagged down a tow truck driver, who called police.

"Officials need help identifying woman," North County Times [Oceanside, CA], 19 August 1999, B3.
Officials need help identifying woman_.jpg
Police investigators said the woman was found by a man on his way to work at 7:50 a.m. in the area of Airport and Benet roads, police Sgt. Tom Bussey said. The woman had died of a head trauma and was later taken to the area by someone and left there during the night of Aug. 10, or the early morning hours of Aug. 11, police Detective George Wallner said.

"Police looking for clues to murder," North County Times [Oceanside, CA], 13 August 1999, B3.
Police looking for clues to murder_.jpg

Jo Moreland, "Police seek help identifying slain woman," North County Times [Oceanside, CA], 22 December 1999, B1, B9.
[part 1] [part 2]
Police seek help identifying slain woman,_ pt. 1.jpg
Police seek help identifying slain woman,_ pt. 2.jpg
Police are trying to identify a slain woman who is believed to have given birth to at least one child. [/] A passer-by discovered the victim's body in a drainage ditch about 7:50 a.m. on Aug. 11 near Airport and Benet roads, authorities said. Police said the woman was struck more than once in the head.

[...]

"The medical examiner determined the cause of death was trauma to the head by a weighted, sharp instrument," Heering said.

Police say that the woman was killed near where she was found, and that they would expect to find a large amount of blood at the site because of the head injuries.

"She may have been alive at the time she was placed in the ditch," he said.

[...]

She had tweezed or plucked eyebrows, recognizable dental work done by a U.S. dentist or one trained in the United States, manicured nails painted red, and a 6-inch surgical scar on the outside of her left knee.

[...]

The victim's clothing and shoes were clean, he said, and it doesn't appear that she was living as a transient or migrant field worker.

Yvette Urrea, "Re-enactment of O'side homicide to air on TV," North County Times [Oceanside, CA], 24 March 2000, B3.
Re-enactment of O'side homicide to air on TV_.jpg
"It's frustrating because her family deserves to know she's dead, and she deserves to be buried and put to rest," said Detective Kim Rainwater. Finding the killer is "a whole other issue ... we'd absolutely like to find out who did this to her."

Rainwater said it would be easier to solve the crime if the victim is identified.

"The fact that she has not been identified leads us to believe she may not have a lot of family in the area," said Crime Stoppers Deputy Pete Carrillo, adding that it's possible the victim may have crossed into the United States from Mexico.

[...]

Detectives have exhausted their fingerprint data banks, and even morgue shots printed of the woman have not produced any leads, Rainwater said. She added that they have also enlisted the help of a few local TV news stations to prepare segments that can air in Mexico.

Rainwater said that there was flooding in Mexico about the same time the victim was killed, and that it's possible the victim's family may never have seen any newspaper or TV reports of the woman's death.

In some remote villages, it may even take as long as seven months for a newspaper to circulate, she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back