GUILTY NJ - Brendan Creato, 3, found dead in Cooper River Park, 13 Oct 2015

What a heart-breaking case. Hopefully, lessons can be learned. What exactly, I'm not sure, but I can't wait to get some reports about this teenage gf. Almost 9,000 texts? An "intense" relationship? Was she a pity-party whiner? Did she put out some kind of ultimatum?

What in the world did those two have in common? They meet on Tinder or whatever in June 2015. Then she is hired and works for gma and gpa's business. She probably works the summer and then goes to a college and sees DJ on weekends. Employment and every-other weekend with DJ isn't good enough. She is possessive, a drama queen, and wants control. Her vapid narcissistic whine, inclusive of incriminating her employer after the murder, makes me think as such.

My first impression is that DJ is a dullard stoner who can't accomplish anything and walks through life feeling guilty and worthless. And he unfortunately hooked up with a whiner chick who has influence on his sad druggie loser life. And in his dullard way, tries to please her and plants Brendan in his sacred stoner spot. Just my opinion though.

Why did he not just Brendan to his mother? Why kill the little man?

I wondered, with Brendan being partially submerged in water if the autopsy can't determine whether Brendan was drowned or smothered. Hence no method of death. It may be that they can't determine what killed him, one or the other. Poor child.

Why did he not just Brendan to his mother? Why kill the little man?

Men will do a lot of things if they're bitter about paying child support and if the prospect of losing more custody means paying more child support.

Men will do a lot of things if they're bitter about paying child support and if the prospect of losing more custody means paying more child support.

Yes. And just as an aside - so will women.

This is so disgusting. The 17 year old...Can he also get slapped with a statutory rape charge??
No. I immediately wondered same so I researched but age of consent in NJ is 16, and NY is 17. Tinder's minimum age is 13. Supposedly the 13-17 members are not supposed to communicate with 18+ users, but not sure what if any enforcement (if any) there is, and tinder's FAQ even tells users how to circumvent this restriction (by changing the age on your FB acct, your tinder will update your supposed age automatically)

-I do not subscribe to tumblr, and I understand the girlfriend's posts were there long enough to be noticed by journalists and possibly LE, then were taken down. Has anyone here seen screenshots or known the extent of the social media, or seen the sister's video? I've only seen the news articles which reference these, but the original source eluded me. Perhaps she was too scared to talk to police or a family member but wanted to seek advice from behind a keyboard. Reports are that the girlfriend has a lawyer and is not working with the prosecution but it would seem her testimony would be key to the murder and I wonder if she will sign some kind of immunity deal or if she hasn't already.

-In one of the news articles, DJ is said to have gone to scene of crime with some friends to look for evidence, seemingly frustrated by the lack of answers.
The detectives who went back to the site three weeks later, could they have just been looking for any kind of other evidence that could have been left during DJ's return trip(s)?

-While the prosecution spent months in silence, we only ever heard that DJ's sister was facing grand jury testimony. I find it odd that no one mentioned DJ grand jury testimony and arraignment until while it was happening. He wasn't even called a suspect. However, most of the media info has been from the defense, while the prosecution's silence has apparently been strategic in order to not set off any alarms while they observed their suspect. Then after weeks of no news, NBC anchor tweeted of DJ's arrest as it was occurring.

-Family all had lawyers before anyone was named a suspect. DJ's lawyer is the vocal one, expressing disdain for the behavior of the investigation. The lawyers for the family and the girlfriend have not been talking to the media.

-Rumor mill in area has long been telling "I know one of the detectives - well guess what they're looking at the father!" I myself heard more than two different people tell me this from the beginning. If there's any truth to these anecdotes, and it's not just typical speculation on the part of local residents who wanted to pick a scapegoat, I'd REALLY hope whoever this "detective" is gets sent back to some job training. Did they really want to put a rumor out there to make DJ talk? Or are they (or their close family members) behaving unprofessionally? Total breach of the otherwise strict police protocol, I suspect it would be. I don't have the detective(s)' names. I really wanted to stick a sock in their mouths, but I didn't

-DJ Creato's public FB account memorializes his dead white rat, very recently (January). In one of the pics Brendan is seen playing with the rat. In another, the rat is pictured next to a pet cat. A caption says RIP and the pet rat's name. How awful to think that the rat may rest in peace while Brendan's killer has not even been brought to justice.

-The 911 call was strange because in it the dad introduces several alibis without being prompted. "I just woke up and" & "he must have wandered." When the police get there, it would be interesting to know if he tipped them off to go to the river, or if he sent them on any wild goose chases with any "clues" or evidence of his supposed innocence.

-Recently defense lawyer complains that on the morning of the discovery, the investigators didn't even tell DJ his son had been found dead for "several hours" afterward (or late morning). They're trying the defense that the lack of an arrest to date has put mounting pressure on investigators to blame anybody for the death

-Investigators had closed the intersection in front of the apartment for the better part of the day, either to preserve evidence, keep the media at arm's length, or both, I'm not sure, and they had DJ in for questioning "all day"

-Creato family business has received bad reviews from consumers. On their FB page a potential client indicates that someone made a 1K down payment in Sept and has seen no work done and no refund for 3.5 months.

Quotes snipped by me:

-I do not subscribe to tumblr, and I understand the girlfriend's posts were there long enough to be noticed by journalists and possibly LE, then were taken down. Has anyone here seen screenshots or known the extent of the social media, or seen the sister's video? I've only seen the news articles which reference these, but the original source eluded me. Perhaps she was too scared to talk to police or a family member but wanted to seek advice from behind a keyboard. Reports are that the girlfriend has a lawyer and is not working with the prosecution but it would seem her testimony would be key to the murder and I wonder if she will sign some kind of immunity deal or if she hasn't already.

I would love to see these, too. I'm not sure if anyone had a chance to screenshot. By the time we her about her and the posts, they were gone.

-DJ Creato's public FB account memorializes his dead white rat, very recently (January). In one of the pics Brendan is seen playing with the rat. In another, the rat is pictured next to a pet cat. A caption says RIP and the pet rat's name. How awful to think that the rat may rest in peace while Brendan's killer has not even been brought to justice.

That was January of last year, I believe. There is nothing recent that is publicly view-able.

-Creato family business has received bad reviews from consumers. On their FB page a potential client indicates that someone made a 1K down payment in Sept and has seen no work done and no refund for 3.5 months.

Not surprising, considering the shady and unscrupulous reports about their business associate Firas Emachah (sp?) who had made himself the spokesperson for the family in the early days.

bwboy
:welcome4:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-In one of the news articles, DJ is said to have gone to scene of crime with some friends to look for evidence, seemingly frustrated by the lack of answers.
The detectives who went back to the site three weeks later, could they have just been looking for any kind of other evidence that could have been left during DJ's return trip(s)?

When I initially read about DJ going to the woods to "conduct his own investigation" it made me think he was returning to the scene, as murderers sometimes do. Whether this is something killers really do is debatable, but I had a strange feeling about the report. In fact according to that article, he went with "someone else."

From http://www.phillyvoice.com/rumors-swirl-disappearance-death-haddon-township-boy/

The boy's father, David "DJ" Creato, did some of his own investigating on a visit to the woods where his son's body was found by a police dog on the morning of Oct. 13, one neighbor said.

According to Judie Ladd, who lives across the street from the woods near Cooper River Park, "DJ" Creato came to the woods with someone else, who said they were conducting their own investigation.

“He never said a word. Not a word, not one the whole time. He just stared,” Ladd said of Creato.

The pair were coming out of the woods.

Anyone care to wager who the "other person" was?

OMG!!!!! I've been checking this thread religiously (it was what prompted me to sign up for a WS account in the first place) and this week I've been so sick that I haven't really been on here and never got an e-mail update.

Wow, just wow. This makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. OVER A TEENAGE GIRL????!!??

I just knew the 911 call sounded odd. I've said that from the beginning.....

Oh, Brendan, Brendan. I hope he didn't suffer. I'm literally shaking while reading through all these updates. I am so, so angry. How could he (allegedly) do that to his own son?!?!?!

I am absolutely horrified. :(

When I initially read about DJ going to the woods to "conduct his own investigation" it made me think he was returning to the scene, as murderers sometimes do. Whether this is something killers really do is debatable, but I had a strange feeling about the report. In fact according to that article, he went with "someone else."

From http://www.phillyvoice.com/rumors-swirl-disappearance-death-haddon-township-boy/

The boy's father, David "DJ" Creato, did some of his own investigating on a visit to the woods where his son's body was found by a police dog on the morning of Oct. 13, one neighbor said.

According to Judie Ladd, who lives across the street from the woods near Cooper River Park, "DJ" Creato came to the woods with someone else, who said they were conducting their own investigation.

“He never said a word. Not a word, not one the whole time. He just stared,” Ladd said of Creato.

The pair were coming out of the woods.

Anyone care to wager who the "other person" was?

My first post here....

No speculation needed. I was a witness to this event. The individual was his 'best friend', male, roughly same age, dark hair. My daughter and I went to pay respects to Brendan and were there for just over half an hour. At about 25 minutes, DJ and friend appeared out of nowhere (from woods) while we were talking to lady mentioned in article above. We noticed them taking pictures of site amount other things... and 'friend' was extremely hyper while DJ was super super quiet. My daughter and I felt it was time to go... and leave 'dad' be... We did stop and speak to detectives at DJ's apartment on way home about what we just witnessed though, finding it odd and out of character to take pictures of your son's final resting place!! We are actually IN one of the pictures, almost like he took it on purpose... never ever seeing/meeting us before.

My first post here....

No speculation needed. I was a witness to this event. The individual was his 'best friend', male, roughly same age, dark hair. My daughter and I went to pay respects to Brendan and were there for just over half an hour. At about 25 minutes, DJ and friend appeared out of nowhere (from woods) while we were talking to lady mentioned in article above. We noticed them taking pictures of site amount other things... and 'friend' was extremely hyper while DJ was super super quiet. My daughter and I felt it was time to go... and leave 'dad' be... We did stop and speak to detectives at DJ's apartment on way home about what we just witnessed though, finding it odd and out of character to take pictures of your son's final resting place!! We are actually IN one of the pictures, almost like he took it on purpose... never ever seeing/meeting us before.

WOW, great first post and :welcome: to WS. Sorry it is under such tragic circumstances though.

WOW, great first post and :welcome: to WS. Sorry it is under such tragic circumstances though.

Thank you for the welcome! I have been following this case closely since the first day!! I joined WS somewhere around page 5. I actually have LOTS to say... but I have been asked not to by LE.

What I can say is in reference to pictures DJ and 'friend' took above is not the pictures they took themselves, but HOW they took them. They took picture after picture after picture close ups as if to piece them together in a bigger panaramic puzzle picture later. I said out loud 'what did he lose that he's trying to locate??' That's when woman in article told me and my daughter that it was DJ and he was doing his own investigation. They both walked towards us and 'lady' and got pictures of the path they were taking while walking towards us... including our picture!! Not normal behavior I tell ya!

Secondly, a lot of the answers that are / were needed have been posted here since day one... and the 'right' answer is usual before you the whole time. A few posts before this one suggests what I am speaking of and a few others are quoting them.

My daughter and I are 'witnesses' to other events that took place that day which I can NOT talk about .... I felt I could reduce speculation on who 'other person coming out of woods' was.

PhillyVoice article from a few days ago. It summarizes important events pretty well:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/father-brendan-creato-makes-first-court-appearance/

Following the hearing, the lawyer for Brendan's grandparents, David and Lisa Creato, said they had just learned what the state alleges in court and were still absorbing it. In court, Lisa Creato sunk her head, cradling it in both palms, crying.

"They had no idea about 99 percent" of what they heard, said attorney William J. Brennan. He also said the couple loves and supports their son, and loved their grandson.

This is so disgusting. The 17 year old is a little see-you-next-Tuesday by the sounds of it and the fact that this "father" would plot to murder his own son for her is nauseating. Can he also get slapped with a statutory rape charge??

I just can't believe it. I don't want to believe someone would murder a baby to satisfy a teenage girl. I hope she doesn't sleep at night.

ETA: does anyone think maybe the pair conspired together to get rid of Brendan? It's very suspicious that he would visit where he placed him the day before Brendan died, with his "intense" relationship and all. Not so sure what's "intense" about dating a 17-year-old but I suppose mentally they're probably in the same league.

I think the two were in on the murder plan from the beginning, I also believe that this woman should be at the very least be charged with conspiracy to commit murder. She is in it up to her eyeballs, IMO.

I agree 100% about the prosecutor not showing all her cards. She did make a comment about the text messages exchanged between DJ and the girlfriend, saying some of them were "unbelievable" or something to that effect. Could be incriminating. I'm extremely anxious to see what they discussed in those 9,000 texts. The girlfriend sounds like she has a lot to feel guilty about on her blog. Hopefully they can question her and get a good work up of her character for the prosecution. Jealous, controlling, emotionally abusive, narcissistic perhaps.

I don't see that the girlfriend feels "guilty" about her part in Brendan's murder. However, I do see where she is whining about herself. JMO

I don't see that the girlfriend feels "guilty" about her part in Brendan's murder. However, I do see where she is whining about herself. JMO

Maybe guilty was the wrong word. She seems to have a lot more weighing on her mind than an innocent person. It's hard for me to tell if she's a sociopath or a typical angsty teenager. Again, hoping this comes to light in trial.

Rats! Someone deleted DJ's public FB page.
I did have the date wrong on his FB posts, and that makes a lot more sense now. I guess we're in 2016, and I'll eventually get used to it.

A few of the news articles mention the deleted Tumblr and all of them mention how DJ and GF (I use that term loosely) had met on Tinder, where she apparently was trolling for older guys or maybe even lied about her age, because Tinder is supposed to separate 13-17 year olds into their own category. (I don't know this from experience, but I researched the site's terms and conditions after hearing that a 22 and 17 year old had met on the site, which does not seem to conform to societal standards.)

It's been talked about that the punishment for 1st degree murder will be 30 years to life in prison. The second degree child endangerment charge should be a slam dunk based on any kind of evidence they have that DJ was at the very least distracted from his duty but not sure what the sentencing for that will be. Speculation abounds that they won't have enough evidence to convict DJ on all counts (with there being no exact determinable cause of death let alone one that would be linked back to the father's hands) but that they're aiming high in hopes that what comes out of his testimony is some kind of confession, admission of any kind of guilt, or a plea deal. Still holding out hope that there's a good witness or two just waiting in the wings to be called.

I am surprised no screenshots have permeated the web (yet). Right now they seem to be completely on the DL. Had the GF been about 5 months older, there would be no such qualms about suppressing her ugly mug, assuming one is available. Will the prosecution be admit deleted internet activity as evidence?

As for the GF's being a co conspirator, she is lawyered up which would be some indication that she either has been or will be interrogated at some point. It has been said she's "uncooperative" with the prosecutor, who also tells us she's still involved in that relationshit with DJ. I read into this that she was offered some kind of deal to testify against DJ and she has been not willing to give them a testimony. Wonder if she gets offered full immunity for being a witness or if that's just something that's done on TV.

I live about a mile from the scene and was part of the impromptu search party. We all thought we were just looking for a scared lost runaway, not a corpse. The temperament among residents after the incident was fearful and sad and has turned to anger/disbelief. Many are also angry that the news media continues to interview local residents because we feel that it could jeopardize the prosecutor work plus it casts an ugly blemish on our neighborhood. I've been approached by two or three news cameras and each time politely declined to be interviewed because I know that I have nothing more to add other than hearsay and I don't want to become some anecdotal soundbyte for this most terrible tragedy.

Some of the stuff I've been reading in the blogs (phillyvoice) and the tabloid trash (metro) is loosely gathered and not necessarily always pertinent.
When prosecution gets their case together and finishes presenting it, I hope it's solid. I do not like the primary defense lawyer's behavior/attitude. He seems ungracious and unrefined. Yes, DJ is entitled to a defense and a fair trial, however, this lawyer's shifting defenses depending on the scenario at hand look like he's trying to make it painful for the prosecution and turn the suspect into a victim. Watch him sometime, and let me know if he makes you feel like a hero of the situation, which is what he must think he is, or just a .

Found some info on FB... Interesting read on each link!

Greg Adomaitis
20 hrs ·
- On Monday, D.J. Creato was indicted on first-degree murder charges and arrested at his job in Gloucester County: http://bit.ly/1OvWEeS
- On Tuesday, 22-year-old Creato was arraigned in court in Camden: http://bit.ly/1JPqI8G
- On Wednesday, the South Jersey Times explored Creato's romance with a 17-year-old who apparently disliked children: http://bit.ly/1Sn0ZqE
- On Thursday, law and technology experts weighed in on the 9,400 text messages that were noted by prosecutors: http://bit.ly/205kdm6
- On Friday, Brendan's death due to "homicidal violence" was explained by professionals in the field: http://bit.ly/1n1n3tT

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back