Found Deceased TN - Noah Chamberlin, 2, Pinson, 14 Jan 2016 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's right about not giving specific details because people will go on google maps and create diagrams and make up rumors. Already seen it happen.:facepalm:

They have done a great job organizing this search. Sucks people think they're hiding something.

I wonder two things

- why they still call it a rescue mission? How can a small child survive 5 days in these temperatures?

- why they won't say anything about scents being picked up or not.

I live near the area and I just want to say a few things.

1. These woods are unforgiving and easy to get lost in. I've played in the west TN forests and woods since I was a kid, even small wooded areas are easy to get lost in. There was an experienced hunter that got lost for days in the forest of Shelby. So imagine how easy it would be for a two year old. When I was a kid, me and my friends would find all kinds of neat hiding places and holes to play in or built forts for dirt clod battles. These things are great when you're a teenager that knows the area, but a nightmare for a two year old. I mention all of this because I keep seeing comments about how "strange" it is that he hasn't been found, despite the massive search. Anyone who has been inside these forests will tell you it would be insanely easy to overlook something, especially if they are a tiny two year old child. This poor child could have fallen in a sink hole or fallen asleep in a rotted tree trunk and no one would be able to see him, especially if leaves are covering him up.

2. Search dogs are a joke when it comes to finding missing people. I blame CSI and Law and Order for making the general public think they are reliable. I can't think of any case where they have found a missing person. That's not to say that the dogs are useless, but people really do give them too much credit. There was a story not too long ago where a woman went missing in the woods and people preformed a grid search and used the dog. Months later they found the body. Everyone, including the dogs, had missed her, despite searching the area. I mention this because I keep seeing people saying that it's "weird" how the dogs haven't picked up anything. It's not weird at all given the fact that they aren't infallible, especially when you throw in the wet weather and all the other smells contaminating the area.

3. It's not weird that grandma took them out there. Like I said, I used to play in the woods all the time as a kid, that's just something people out in west TN do.

I am not trying to be rude, so I hope I'm not. I just dislike so many people talking about this area like they know it, when it's obvious they have never been here. I dislike people implying that something shady went on, when it's pretty obvious that this is just a terrible story that could have happened to anyone. Everyone out here is so shocked and distraught about Noah and not being able to find him, and it really sucks to see rumors and accusations come up. Please remember this story involves real people and how much it hurts to hear that people think the family did something. Aren't they suffering enough?

Sorry - I agree with #1 and #3 - my mother-in-law lives just a few miles from Pinson and one Thanksgiving a group of us (adults and children) got lost just going out to walk off our Thanksgiving dinner.

BUT I must (BBM) speak up for the dogs. I do not do SAR but I work with a rescue group for hounds - Dogs have been used to find people since WWI and probably before that. My University (Auburn) is currently doing research using MRI machines and awake dogs to seeks ways to predict their tracking ability. They state in this article it can cost up to $30,000 to train a dog. Do you really think they would do this for this long and at this expense if "dogs are a joke"???

http://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news...at-would-predict-a-dogs-detection-ability.htm

I completely agree with their decision to only use trained SAR tonight. It is a hard decision, but it is the right call for a lot of reasons.

Someone asked about the "fresh poured concrete" (I'm sure we've all seen that rumor on social media) ... they checked that out - a storm bunker that had been constructed 2 YEARS AGO ... they are frustrated with being tied up chasing down rumors when they need to search

I wonder two things

- why they still call it a rescue mission? How can a small child survive 5 days in these temperatures?

- why they won't say anything about scents being picked up or not.

You know I was wondering why not at least confirm a sent was picked up .

They told nothing new to speak of.... Would not discuss if there are custody issues. Tried to put to bed rumor of newly poured concrete saying it was two years old, that they trust the family to be honest about this. Would not discuss if dogs picked up any scent, but did say they used tracking and cadaver dogs since first day. They say he has to be in woods, where else would he be...hmmm (tunnel vision is not always good). Say its still a Search and Rescue, not recovery. That is about all I got, I lost WS during conference so lost all I typed. IMHO

Bah - lost my WS connection for the second time today. :mad:

The "newly poured" concrete rumor was checked out by LE - it's a 2 year old storm shelter, not new.
Cadaver dogs were on site since day 1.
Sheriff grumbled about the sm rumors - talked about people getting on Google Earth, trying to figure out what's happening. :blushing:

Those accents are so hard to follow for me (English is my second language). I so much appreciate all of you who transcribe at any point.

I thought they said it was going to be something big?

I heard nothing that would be considered big. Other than it is still search and rescue.....not search and recovery as yet. If they believe he could still be alive, then I will keep hoping for that miracle too!

I guess my heart rate can return to normal now.

@TupeloMZ-

Please pass the bottle. No mixer needed. :(

I couldn't hear his answer when the female reporter asked if cadaver dogs were brought in? Were cadaver dogs brought in?

I couldn't hear his answer when the female reporter asked if cadaver dogs were brought in? Were cadaver dogs brought in?

Yes, on the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bah - lost my WS connection for the second time today. :mad:

The "newly poured" concrete rumor was checked out by LE - it's a 2 year old storm shelter, not new.
Cadaver dogs were on site since day 1.
Sheriff grumbled about the sm rumors - talked about people getting on Google Earth, trying to figure out what's happening. :blushing:

Yes he would not confirm the distance from the house when he went missing. They asked if it was one hundred yards, he said he would not comment, does not want people on Google Earth trying to figure it out. He is tired...at least I hope that is it....IMHO

Couldn't watch the presser so thanks for all who are diligently posting details. I thought they said "big one". I was hoping for good news. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305