Don McLean arrested on a domestic violence charge

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
‘American Pie’ singer Don McLean charged with domestic violence assault

Officials say he was arrested at his Camden home early Monday morning and was released from jail after posting $10,000 bail.

Singer-songwriter Don McLean was arrested early Monday morning and charged with misdemeanor domestic violence assault.

McLean, best known for his song “American Pie,” was arrested after police responded to a 911 call at his Camden home shortly before 2 a.m., Camden police Chief Randy Gagne said. McLean was arrested without incident and taken to Knox County Jail.

McLean was released from jail after posting $10,000 bail, according to the Penobscot Bay Pilot. He is scheduled to appear in Knox County District Court in Rockland on Feb. 22.

The article says it's unclear whether or not his wife and children were home, which I guess means no one is sure who the victim is.

Of all the people I would never expect to be arrested for dv charges.

Don McLean's Wife Is Granted a Temporary Protection Order Against Him

Patricia McLean of Camden, Maine, alleged that her husband, the singer-songwriter of "American Pie" fame, has physically and verbally abused her for three decades and has "a violent temper,” according to the Rockland District Court order obtained by ABC News.

"For the first 10 years or so his rage was unfathomably deep and very scary," she wrote in a statement attached to the protection order. "On Jan. 17, Don terrorized me for 4 hours until the 911 call that I think might have saved my life."

Released on bail, didn't enter a plea, due back in court on February 22nd.

He tweeted about this today, including:
I may never recover from this but I will try and hope to continue to entertain you all as I always have.

He may never recover. What a thing to say.

More of his tweets are at the link.

I know abusers can be deceptive and manipulative, but he wrote one of my all-time favorite songs - Vincent - and it's hard to accept someone who made such a tender tribute to an artist is capable of being violent and cruel.

When I read stories like this about older men who become threatening and violent, I wonder if it's an early sign of dementia. My dad is in the late stages, but a few years before it became obvious and he was diagnosed, he had moments when he would become irrationaly angry and threaten violence. It was so completely unlike him and was very frightening.

From what his wife is saying this has been going on for many years. And, yes, I believe her story.

I've got to wonder if this could have been avoided if he'd been charged for torture after the first 3 minutes of "American Pie".

This is heartbreaking for all concerned. We just never know what goes on behind closed doors, do we?

Patricia McLean of Camden, Maine, alleged that her husband, the singer-songwriter of "American Pie" fame, has physically and verbally abused her for three decades and has "a violent temper,” according to the Rockland District Court order obtained by ABC News.

Quoting Don McLean:
"What is occurring is the very painful breakdown of an almost 30 year relationship,"

I hope his wife understands that breaking up with an abuser is a very dangerous time and that restraining orders are worth very little. May this relationship end peacefully.

Not sure what to believe as far as what the miss's is saying but it is only half of the story, I am reminded of what others have said to me over the years about their spouses only to find out it was not true, so we'll see.

buddy holly, richie valens, and the big bopper, ( j p richardson) died in a plane crash in 1959. Their loss and what they meant to don was the reason for American pie. jmo

This is heartbreaking for all concerned. We just never know what goes on behind closed doors, do we?

Quoting Don McLean:

I hope his wife understands that breaking up with an abuser is a very dangerous time and that restraining orders are worth very little. May this relationship end peacefully.

I hope she does too. The time after leaving an abuser is a dangerous one and McLean has more money, power, and influence than the regular Joe. I hope she finds away to stay safe.

JMO

She wrote that McLean was prone to rage during the first decade of their marriage, and would sometimes grab her legs or arms so hard they were bruised. Patrisha McLean added that in 1994 her husband squeezed his hands against her temples, making her feel like her head was in a vise.

The alleged attack on Monday was similar to the one in 1994, Patrisha McLean wrote, and her head still hurt two days later. McLean scared her “with the intensity of his rage and the craziness in his eyes”, she wrote, alleging that he grabbed her hand and said “I want to strangle you bad” when she tried to leave.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-patrisha-restraining-order-domestic-violence

"It is not much ado about nothing," the hit maker’s wife Patrisha McLean, 56, said early Tuesday in a cryptic response to an email seeking comment. “I can't say anything more right now.”

"Don is not a monster. I did not expect what I wrote in order to receive the restraining order to become public. This is a very sad time for me and for him," McLean wrote.

"We had many happy times (and) years together.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/don-mclean-tweets-recover-arrest-article-1.2504603

"I want to strangle you so bad."

Strangling is the most lethal form of domestic violence. I can't say for sure, obviously, but I think she knew he meant he would kill her. I'm not saying he actually WAS going to, just pointing out "I'm going to strangle you" can mean "I'm going to kill you."

I am so sorry to hear this news.
I believe her.
Been there, done that years ago.
It's never okay to hit someone unless it is in self-defense. Never.
She is finally doing the right thing for herself as well as for her children and anyone else who might become subject to his rage.
The "strangle" comment was very telling.
Be safe Ms McLean!
jmo

Except for the charges.

"Neither party is seeking divorce. This now becomes a private matter between two very talented people," said lawyer Walter F. McKee."

I sure hope Mrs. McLean realizes that she is in continuing danger from this man. I am hoping this is just an attempt on her part to co-operate in reducing media scrutiny of the incident. May she privately get as far away from him as possible!

I sure hope Mrs. McLean realizes that she is in continuing danger from this man. I am hoping this is just an attempt on her part to co-operate in reducing media scrutiny of the incident. May she privately get as far away from him as possible!

Agreed. While the wives of celebrities have more resources, I have to think that they also have some additional vulnerabilities, in terms of what they have to lose -- and it's not just financial losses at play. Many celeb wives have a lot of their identity tied up with being famous, being the spouse of a famous person, and their friends are often in circles of the famous and well to do -- and they'll often side with the star in a break-up. So, while I'm not going to say that it's harder for someone like her to make a clean break, I can't be sure that it's much easier, even given her wealth relative to most people.

A college cancels McLean's appearance at their fundraiser in April.

Francis Marion officials consulted with McLean’s team to ensure they understood the charges, Mitchell said. But, he said, after giving it some thought, the university made the final call against hosting the concert.
“We support gender equity issues and all the provisions of Title IX,” Mitchell said. “That would be true of any university. It’s probably especially true of a university where two-thirds of the student body are women … and a significant number of faculty and staff.”

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article57176093.html

Don McLean, Wife Agree to Dismiss Protection Order Case

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/201...agree-dismiss-protection-order-case/79282414/

The attorney for Don McLean said on Sunday that the folk singer and his wife have agreed to dismiss an order of protection case that followed the arrest of McLean on a domestic violence charge.

I'm struggling with this quote in the same article. McLean's attorney is stating that McLean is essentially calling his wife a liar.

"The protection order case is being dismissed by agreement. Don stands by his unwavering statement from the beginning that none of what was alleged in the protection order case was true. There was never any abuse or criminal conduct by Don at all. The dismissal of the protection order case confirms that. Don is looking forward to moving beyond this and getting back to his life and his music."
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/201...agree-dismiss-protection-order-case/79282414/

She, on the other hand, doesn't retract the words in her protection request, but says that the events don't define their marriage. Doesn't it bother her to be called a liar? Then she asks us to focus on the joy he and his music have given us? Is this typical of abuse victims? She sounds controlled and I wonder what is really going on. JMO

“I did not intend to define Don or our relationship based solely on the events recounted in the statement,” the statement says. “Don has a big heart. He and I had many happy times in the 30 years of our marriage and what has recently transpired is unfortunate for all of us. I would ask everyone reading this to ignore the sensationalist, scabrous headlines and focus instead on the joy that Don, and his music, has given to so many for so long.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/25/don-mclean-wife-dismiss-protection-order

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back