OR OR - Alissa McCrann, 37, Tigard, 19 Dec 2015

This is reminding me a little of Geraldine Largay, the hiker who was lost (and recently found) on the Applachian Trail in Maine. She was off the trail and searchers just missed finding her. I know it's not what anyone wants to have happen here, but perhaps she did stumble and is off the trail. And unfortunately, covered by snow right now. Sending big hugs to Alissa's family and friends <3 and hoping this is NOT the case.

I agree. From the beginning I have felt maybe she is somewhere off the trail. There are some very steep drop offs on the trails in this area with very dense foliage. Portland is my hometown and I used to live very close to this area in Troutdale. Many happy memories in the Gorge. Multnomah Falls, Oneonta Falls, etc. This is hitting extra close to home for me because we attended the same high school and have some mutual friends in common even though I am several years older than her. I've lived in Southern California for many years now, but still have lots of dear friends in Oregon. I can also imagine that her car was simply dumped at this location. So many unanswered questions...

I agree with the last few posters. From the first news of Alissa's car being found where it was, it really does seem a case of misadventure. I think that the saddest thing is, that although there was an early and vocal alert about her being missing, it was 2 days before her car was identified and reported.

Looking back, I have often put myself in potentially dangerous situations when hiking - especially on the way back from a climb in failing light. Cutting across a steep switchback in the trail is so enticing when you are tired and in a race against the sun setting. You can see the trail below and figure to save some time and distance by cutting through steep and unmarked terrain.

I wish the searchers had not had such ugly weather in the first surge. And although we hope for some kind of miracle here, if worse comes to worst, I'm glad she was out and about doing something she loved.

I agree with the last few posters. From the first news of Alissa's car being found where it was, it really does seem a case of misadventure. I think that the saddest thing is, that although there was an early and vocal alert about her being missing, it was 2 days before her car was identified and reported.

Looking back, I have often put myself in potentially dangerous situations when hiking - especially on the way back from a climb in failing light. Cutting across a steep switchback in the trail is so enticing when you are tired and in a race against the sun setting. You can see the trail below and figure to save some time and distance by cutting through steep and unmarked terrain.

I wish the searchers had not had such ugly weather in the first surge. And although we hope for some kind of miracle here, if worse comes to worst, I'm glad she was out and about doing something she loved.

And that's the thing, we all are different.
My husband and I are hikers. We are cautious and hike early if we are going on a longer hike.
One time, about 10 years ago, we were on a poorly marked trail, and all we could see were Aspen trees all around us. Thankfully, we were able to find our way back. It was the first time we were on this trail, too. Other than that incident, we have been fortunate to hike some very well maintained trails.This is in the state of Colorado.
I can see that others may hike differently, like from your post you mentioned short cuts. I am always afraid of a sprained ankle with shortcuts, even though I have many pairs of hiking boots with great ankle support.
With the weather being like it was, perhaps Alissa did take a short cut?
I hope she is found soon.
IMOO.

BBM

I think the huge lesson here is to tell people where you will be hiking, shopping, etc. If no one knows where you went, it can make a tragic difference. Also, carry food, water and a whistle at the very least. Be prepared for an emergency. Traveling too light is unwise.

Looking at the FB page, I see that her car was not found and identified until Tuesday December 22...on the third day (after three cold nights). The search started right away, but not much could be done until Wed. Dec. 23, the fourth day. I'm not sure when the hikers who spoke to her came forward, which would have focused the search, but the search was called off on Thursday Dec. 24, late on the fifth day.

If the search could have started on Sunday, what a difference it might have made.
:(

BBM

I think the huge lesson here is to tell people where you will be hiking, shopping, etc. If no one knows where you went, it can make a tragic difference. Also, carry food, water and a whistle at the very least. Be prepared for an emergency. Traveling too light is unwise.

Looking at the FB page, I see that her car was not found and identified until Tuesday December 22...on the third day (after three cold nights). The search started right away, but not much could be done until Wed. Dec. 23, the fourth day. I'm not sure when the hikers who spoke to her came forward, which would have focused the search, but the search was called off on Thursday Dec. 24, late on the fifth day.

If the search could have started on Sunday, what a difference it might have made.
:(

BBM: Amen!

Hello DryHeat and WELCOME!! :welcome6:
What a truly beautiful and heartfelt post from you! It's wonderful to have you join us. I don't post a whole lot, but after reading your great message, I wanted to say hello and thank-you for joining us.

We look forward to many more of your caring posts and great ideas in the future!

WELCOME to all of the other new members as well. :grouphug:

A belated :welcome: And thank you for a wonderful heartfelt post. I know what you mean about connections. I'm almost 30 months into the case featured in my signature, partly because Stephanie is local but mostly because she is the same age as my daughter. I can certainly understand your connection to Alissa.

You ask what you can do to help find her from far away. I don't have specific ideas, but I would have to say that just being here is huge. We are often so limited in what we can actually DO, but family and friends reading here need to know that strangers care and won't give up. So being here, posting as you are able, is perhaps all you can do on Alissa's thread.

But there are other threads. For example, there are threads that fade out for lack of news, but I try to make the rounds every few months to "my" local threads and post a little something, if only to say that we won't forget. One WSer Rayemonde has been following up on threads that died out, researching and posting "the rest of the story."

I haven't done more than follow a few threads of the Unidentified missing, but there is a lot of good sleuthing work that can be done there from a distance...to give these people back their names and bring them back to their families after many years.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-The-Unidentified

So don't be shy! :) Jump in and find your own ways to help somewhere, even if we have to wait for local SAR to search again for Alissa. It's great to have you here!

I know everyone on Websleuth's has had at least a few cases that have especially touched their heart. Most do, but some you feel a special connection due to location, or age of yourself or a child; or simply as a mom, dad, child or just another person that makes a connection based on an emotional connection. I saw this case before Christmas and felt an immediate connection just on names. I'm about 6 years older than Alissa but she has my daughters first and middle name(though spelled differently and my family middle name too) and her son is the same age and name as my son. Although, we are separated by at least a thousand miles I feel for her, her family, her son and friends so much. I wish I knew the area and could help search.

<respectfully snipped for space and focus>

I've felt so much for so many here on WS but this case has touched my heart so much. Please, let me know, as a new member what I can do to help find her being far away.

Thank you you in advance for experienced WS members and mods for their help.

From the facebook page, posted today:

I apologize for the long wait for any sort of update. Things have been hectic and for right now there is no information or change in status. I am working to try and better understand how further search efforts would develop. Currently my understanding is the conditions which caused them to suspend the search have not improved and may not in the immediate future.

https://www.facebook.com/findalissa/

Note: The following are my opinions only and I by no means have the insight that many posters here do, so please take what I say with a grain of salt :)
I apologize if I am asking anything that has already been covered.
First of all, I live in a suburb of portland, and I used to hike up logging roads off the road that leads to Latch Mtn(back when I was young and invincible-scary to think how easily I could have twisted an ankle and nobody would know where I was! )On these hikes it did occur to me how easily it would be to dispose of a body off one of the roads as they are so infrequently used-just passing thoughts at that time, I'm not suggesting that is in any way what happened here.
I was struck by several things about this case. First, I had never even heard about Alissa Mccrann being missing until I stumbled across her name after doing a general search for missing persons a couple of days ago. I enjoy watching crime documentaries on youtube then usually look for a wiki page on a certain cases to get more facts. I am also suprised how little information can be found about her and the circumstances are surrounding her disappearance.
So I was wondering a few things: 1) Did friends/family/search and rescue start searching trails she loved before her car was found at Multnomah Falls? If so, what made them think she had gone for a hike in rainy cold weather after having already gone from a run near Portland Adventist Hospital (very close to my workplace, which is also a pretty dangerous area for drugs/crime).
2) If they did begin searching trails before her car was found, did they already search Multnomah Falls and the parking lots before her car was found, and that there might be a possibility her car was "dumped" there a day or 2 after her disappearance?If I hadn't heard anything in the news, and nobody i know had heard anything, there is a good chance for her car being dumped without being notices and nobody in the general public aware and looking for it(that is to say IF it was indeed dumped)
3) I read that she didn't typically travel as far from home to the Tigard area where her call phone pinged last. However, this was probably one of the last days to do last minute shopping before Christmas as she was expected back at work Monday. So I would not find it at all unusual for someone to go to the Washington Square mall, which is huge, if she was looking for something specific.
4) If she did head to the mall ( or to another shopping area with specialty shops a little further south) and a Tigard cell tower picked up her phone, she most likely took I-5 south to where it connects to highway 217(the shortest freeway in America) as opposed to West on 26 to the other end of 217, or she went further South on I-5 south to another shopping center(can't remember which suburb it is off the top of my head).
4) Lets say the above was true (purely speculative) could she have met with some foul play during this errand, and maybe her car was stashed in someone's garage until they figured out what to do with it?
5) I'm by no means an expert on exercising, but I am a hiker/if I go for a run one day, I wouldn't necessarily go hiking on the same day (and vice versa). And especially in the cold, wet conditions, and especially if I was planning on a run with friends the next day......
I can't imagine what the family is going through, or her son, so heartbreaking!

Note: The following are my opinions only and I by no means have the insight that many posters here do, so please take what I say with a grain of salt :)
I apologize if I am asking anything that has already been covered.
First of all, I live in a suburb of portland, and I used to hike up logging roads off the road that leads to Latch Mtn(back when I was young and invincible-scary to think how easily I could have twisted an ankle and nobody would know where I was! )On these hikes it did occur to me how easily it would be to dispose of a body off one of the roads as they are so infrequently used-just passing thoughts at that time, I'm not suggesting that is in any way what happened here.
I was struck by several things about this case. First, I had never even heard about Alissa Mccrann being missing until I stumbled across her name after doing a general search for missing persons a couple of days ago. I enjoy watching crime documentaries on youtube then usually look for a wiki page on a certain cases to get more facts. I am also suprised how little information can be found about her and the circumstances are surrounding her disappearance.
So I was wondering a few things: 1) Did friends/family/search and rescue start searching trails she loved before her car was found at Multnomah Falls? If so, what made them think she had gone for a hike in rainy cold weather after having already gone from a run near Portland Adventist Hospital (very close to my workplace, which is also a pretty dangerous area for drugs/crime).
2) If they did begin searching trails before her car was found, did they already search Multnomah Falls and the parking lots before her car was found, and that there might be a possibility her car was "dumped" there a day or 2 after her disappearance?If I hadn't heard anything in the news, and nobody i know had heard anything, there is a good chance for her car being dumped without being notices and nobody in the general public aware and looking for it(that is to say IF it was indeed dumped)
3) I read that she didn't typically travel as far from home to the Tigard area where her call phone pinged last. However, this was probably one of the last days to do last minute shopping before Christmas as she was expected back at work Monday. So I would not find it at all unusual for someone to go to the Washington Square mall, which is huge, if she was looking for something specific.
4) If she did head to the mall ( or to another shopping area with specialty shops a little further south) and a Tigard cell tower picked up her phone, she most likely took I-5 south to where it connects to highway 217(the shortest freeway in America) as opposed to West on 26 to the other end of 217, or she went further South on I-5 south to another shopping center(can't remember which suburb it is off the top of my head).
4) Lets say the above was true (purely speculative) could she have met with some foul play during this errand, and maybe her car was stashed in someone's garage until they figured out what to do with it?
5) I'm by no means an expert on exercising, but I am a hiker/if I go for a run one day, I wouldn't necessarily go hiking on the same day (and vice versa). And especially in the cold, wet conditions, and especially if I was planning on a run with friends the next day......
I can't imagine what the family is going through, or her son, so heartbreaking!
First things first, welcome to the group and great questions. On the first question, sorry I didn't see anything about searches before the car was found. 2 Yes it could have been dumped, but she was spotted in the area. 3 and 4 Sorry no clue, but it sounds very reasonable. 5 There have been many days when I've gone for a run in the morning and a hike later in the day. It's a good way to loosen up or maybe she missed a few days exercise.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back