AL AL - Birmingham, UnkFem, Adult, UP13985, Orthopedic Pin Near Left Wrist, Clothes, glasses, Mar'14

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
Hoping this is Stephen Lankester Cox!

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Authorities have released new information in their efforts to identify of a man whose remains were discovered behind a Birmingham business in March.
The bones were found March 27 in the rear of 95 3rd Ave. North. Workers from Alabama Cabinet Co. made the discovery around 2:40 p.m. as they were performing routine excavation.
The Jefferson County Coroner's Office finished collecting the bones the following Monday. Authorities said they were able to recover most of the remains, which included a skull. There were clothing remnants nearby, but no identification.
Deputy Coroner Bill Yates said Wednesday they have determined the bones were that of an adult white male, roughly 6 feet tall. He had an orthopedic pin in the lower portion of his left arm near his wrist.
Authorities said they have not determined the cause of death. Anyone with information on the man's identity is asked to call the coroner's office at 205-930-3603.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/04/new_clues_in_quest_to_identify.html

NamUs UP Case 13985

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/13985

no_photo.png

Unidentified Unsure female
* Found March 27, 2014 in Jefferson County, AL
* Estimated Year of Death: to

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age:
Adult
* Approximate Height: 68
* Distinguishing Characteristics:
Orthopedic type wire in the distal left ulna (lower left forearm near wrist).

* Dentals: Dental information /charting is available and entered

* Clothing/Jewelry:
Long sleeve dark colored "heavy" type jacket with button closure. Long sleeve dark colored "wool" type jacket with zipper closure. Short sleeve dark colored "Jordache" brand shirt, size small. Remnants of dark colored pants material. Dark colored ankle type socks.Winter type cap.Pair of white "New Balance" athletic type shoes, unknown size. One piercing type of jewelry with a clear stone. One pair of eyeglasses. "Crack pipe" in dirt underneath the remains. One green and one purple cigarette lighter.

* DNA:
Dental information / charting is available and entered

Case History:
Skeletal remains discovered at rear of business by Alabama Cabinet Company employees performing excavation of small trees and brush along rear property line. The remains were found in a small depression next to the rear wall of the business and approximately 10-12 feet from one set of railroad tracks that run parallel to the business.

DNA sample available - not yet submitted. Would be nice to have this submitted somehow, so a comparison with Jennifer Faye Powers could be made. I'm going to e-mail Carrie Sutherland (Namus Regional Administrator for both cases) and ask how to have this done.

That usually means that the LE agency has submitted the DNA for testing, but the lab hasn't finished processing it so it can be sent to CODIS or whatever database they use. Often it's a matter of waiting for paperwork.

No matter who it is, what a sad and lonely end. When I see UIDs who were most likely addicts found and then not identified for years (if ever) it breaks my heart. Suicide, overdose or exposure - not only did they probably feel they had no one, but often everyone's given up on them. I have a personal link to this as my partner has struggled with this very same addiction and his going missing for only three days years ago sparked my initial interest in MPs. Three days waiting was a hell I never want to relive and I can't imagine waiting indefinitely for years for someone to come home. I feel for both the addict and the family.

DNA sample available - not yet submitted. Would be nice to have this submitted somehow, so a comparison with Jennifer Faye Powers could be made. I'm going to e-mail Carrie Sutherland (Namus Regional Administrator for both cases) and ask how to have this done.

Nothing news on this?

Strange, although the height is different 5 foot 8 , is there a way to see a coroners report?
So little information to go on, no estimated year of death or age..., there is DNA but not submitted yet. The crack pipe is sad, possible they might not have been reported missing.

Updated Namus: Unidentified Person Case

The information about the repaired fracture doesn't seem to be visible any more.

Ruleouts:
MP1325 Shannon Ellis 09/24/2008 Jefferson AL
MP454 Stephen Lankester-Cox 11/18/2004 Cherokee GA

The "Birmingham Railroad Jane Doe" c.2014
1603UFAL2_LARGE.jpg

Earring found with the body, possibly a clip earring.
  • Date of Discovery: March 27, 2014
  • Location of Discovery: Birmingham, Alabama (Jefferson Co.)
  • GPS Coordinates: 33 30.377 N and 86 50.062 W
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2 - 3 years prior
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable, near complete or complete skeleton
  • Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description
  • Estimated Age: 18-99 years old
  • Race: Unknown
  • Sex: Female
  • Height: 5' 8" (estimate)
  • Weight: Unknown
  • Hair Color: Unknown
  • Eye Color: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Dentals: Available
  • Fingerprints: N/A (skeleton)
  • DNA: Unknown
Affects
  • Clothing: Dark colored heavy jacket, button closure; dark colored wool jacket, zipper closure; short sleeve, dark colored Jordache shirt, size small; remnants of dark colored pants material; dark colored ankle socks; pair of white New Balance shoes, unknown size; winter type cap.
  • Jewelry: One piercing type of jewelry with a clear stone.
  • Personal Items: Pair of eyeglasses; crack pipe in dirt underneath the remains; one green and one purple cigarette lighter.
Circumstances
Employees of Alabama Cabinet Company discovered skeletal remains while performing an excavation of small trees and brush along rear property line. The remains were found in a small depression next to the rear wall of the business and approximately 10-12 feet from one set of railroad tracks that run parallel to the business. (per Doe Network).
Photos (Clothing)
1603UFAL3_LARGE.jpg1603UFAL1_LARGE.jpg
1603UFAL_LARGE.jpg
Satellite View
JEFFER - Copy.png
Exclusions

Shannon Ellis (N:#MP1325), missing since September 24, 2008 in Birmingham, AL.

Links:
Doe Network: 1603UFAL
NamUs: UP13985
Unidentified Wiki

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members