CANADA Canada - Manuel Desa, 33, Toronto, 25 June 2000

dotr

Reaction score
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/50k-reward-offered-in-vaughan-cold-case-murder-1.2691211

" Officers did not provide further details on the information, but said they are actively working to solve the case. They re-released a composite sketch of a suspect and several photos taken at the crime scene, hoping the pictures will "jog the memory of those individuals who may have information on this case."

Police said Desa was killed as he walked home with his common-law wife and child. The three were walking along Royal Colwood Court at approximately 10 p.m. on June 25, 2000, when they were surprised by two men near the front door of their home. Desa fought with the two men, and the struggle went into the street.

One of the men was reported to have told Desa, "It's OK Manny, it's me, Chris," police said.

Investigators said Desa was stabbed during the struggle, and the two men fled to a nearby car. Desa was rushed to hospital, but died before he arrived."

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2015/12/08/look-50k-reward-in-15-year-old-vaughan-murder
Composite Sketch Cropped__900W.jpg
".. white, in their mid-late 20s, about 6' tall with stocky builds and broad shoulders.

Desa owned or was involved with three construction firms: Camarites Construction, Ridge 2000 and Blue Star Construction. Police say Desa had had several ongoing disputes with more than one sub-contractor over non-payment of wages and benefits.

Police say there's a "distinct possibility" the disputes were the motive for the murder.

Anyone with information is asked to call police 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7865, or to contact Crime Stoppers. - See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2015/12/08/look-50k-reward-in-15-year-old-vaughan-murder#sthash.WjJ6DYC5.dpuf"

1297781488399_ORIGINAL.jpg
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/08/words-from-slain-mans-son-motivates-cop
"VAUGHAN - Fifteen years ago, Manuel Desa’s four-year-old son wrote a special message in a Christmas card to the detectives investigating his father’s brutal murder: “Thank you for helping me and my family find the bad guys. You are Spider-Man.”

Months earlier, on June 25, 2000, the boy’s 33-year-old father was stabbed to death in the driveway of his home on Royal Colwood Ct. in Vaughan.

It was Det.-Sgt. John Braybrook’s first case with York Regional Police’s homicide unit — which he now leads — and he’s kept the little boy’s card all these years.

Now, thanks to “new information” and a $50,000 reward, he says police are confident they’ll solve the cold case and finally provide justice for Desa’s family, including his now 20-year-old son.

Braybrook recently met with him and described him as “a respectful and well-adjusted young man.”

“He also shared with me that for as long as he can remember, he has been praying that those responsible for his father’s murder be brought to justice,” Braybrook said. “And he has asked me to plead to those responsible, or (who) have knowledge of the murder and the circumstances, to come forward and provide some peace and closure to he and his father’s family.”

Does any source mention which perpetrator physically assaulted Mr. Desa? Ie: The one who called himself Chris? I'm very new here and am not sure how much speculation is allowed so I may be testing the waters in suggesting that "Chris" either said that to confuse the witness or, unless he did indeed to know Mr. Desa informally, was playing the judas in order for the two assailants to get closer. One would figure if he knew the family well that he'd be easily identifiable by the witness - which brings me to my last point: This "Chris" character likely only met Mr. Desa recently (if at all in person)... I also imagine the police cross referenced his name with the many companies affiliated with Mr. Desa...

Does any source mention which perpetrator physically assaulted Mr. Desa? Ie: The one who called himself Chris? I'm very new here and am not sure how much speculation is allowed so I may be testing the waters in suggesting that "Chris" either said that to confuse the witness or, unless he did indeed to know Mr. Desa informally, was playing the judas in order for the two assailants to get closer. One would figure if he knew the family well that he'd be easily identifiable by the witness - which brings me to my last point: This "Chris" character likely only met Mr. Desa recently (if at all in person)... I also imagine the police cross referenced his name with the many companies affiliated with Mr. Desa...

Welcome to Ws breadcrumb, thanks for your insightful post!
Good point about somebody possibly just saying the name is "Chris".
For that matter, maybe the name Chris was just a moniker for one working "under the table", or somebody's Canadian name?
imo.
As for speculation, throw in an " imo" so that it is clear you are speculating, or it is rumour, ect, use initials of names if necessary.imo.
When in doubt, check with the excellent mods here.

Eta. Why would somebody even bother to say "It's OK Manny, it's me, Chris,"
Will keep looking, but not sure which man said it and/or which one did the actual stabbing.
Odd and cruel to do such a thing, especially in front of the victim's wife and child, imo.

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/12/08/york-police-announce-50000-reward-in-2000-cold-case/

York police announce $50,000 reward in 2000 cold case

Dec 8, 2015
manueldesahouse.jpg
Manuel Desa, 33, was killed on June 25, 2000. He was stabbed happened on Royal Colwood Court, near Dufferin Street and Steeles Avenue in Vaughan.

Police say Desa, his common-law wife and her child were returning from visiting a neighbour when they were “surprised” by two men around 10 p.m.

A struggle ensued between Desa and the two men. One was overheard to say, “It’s okay, Manny, it’s me, Chris.”

The fight moved into the street and the two men fled in a nearby car. Desa’s common-law wife went to his aid and found him suffering from a stab wound. He died on the way to the hospital.

The suspects are white, approximately six-feet tall, with stocky builds and broad shoulders. They were in their mid to late 20s at the time.

The first suspect had short light brown hair that had been brushed back and light coloured eyes. The second suspect had short dark hair. The vehicle was a pale white or beige small-to mid-size sedan
rbbm.

Did the men have any hint of accents?
Wonder what the new info LE now have in the case?
Are the common law wife and her daughter now okay, how about the victim's brother?
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/08/words-from-slain-mans-son-motivates-cop
After visiting a neighbour, Manuel Desa, 33, returned home with his common-law wife and her six-year-old daughter around 10:15 p.m. on June 25, 2000.

As they walked up the path to their home on Royal Colwood Ct. in Vaughan, two well-dressed men approached from the front porch.

“Don’t worry, Manny, it’s me, Chris,” one man called out in the dark, according to the victim’s spouse.

Desa walked out to the driveway with the two men and an altercation immediately ensued.

Desa was fatally stabbed. The killers fled to a waiting car and drove off.

His murder remains unsolved 15 years later.

The victim along with his brother owned several construction companies: Camarites Construction, Blue Star Construction and Ridge 2000. Desa was also associated with carpentry union locals 183, 675 and 75.
rbbm.
speculation,imo.

Thank you Dotr, and yes I agree - cruel and violent to do something like that... I've seen that you put up a lot of Canadian threads so thank you for that as well.

It doesn't help that the different newspapers mention sometimes conflicting things: One says compact car, other says sedan (imo they're fairly different); one says attacked by all three assailants while another stipulates that one was waiting in a get away vehicle... It may have been a moniker but I'm still under the impression it was someone he either met recently or perhaps just spoke to on the phone... But it may also just have been a ruse altogether...

Had the descriptions been cross referenced with all those employees I'd assume that they would've had a few suspects... Records like that (and that old) are hard to find online I imagine...
Again, thank you for advice Dotr and your efforts here :)

Also, what does rbbm stand for?

Thank you Dotr, and yes I agree - cruel and violent to do something like that... I've seen that you put up a lot of Canadian threads so thank you for that as well.

It doesn't help that the different newspapers mention sometimes conflicting things: One says compact car, other says sedan (imo they're fairly different); one says attacked by all three assailants while another stipulates that one was waiting in a get away vehicle... It may have been a moniker but I'm still under the impression it was someone he either met recently or perhaps just spoke to on the phone... But it may also just have been a ruse altogether...

Had the descriptions been cross referenced with all those employees I'd assume that they would've had a few suspects... Records like that (and that old) are hard to find online I imagine...
Again, thank you for advice Dotr and your efforts here :)

Also, what does rbbm stand for?

Lol, had wondered about that rbbm. too when i first started posting here.
Had thought it had something to do with the sound frogs made because the "imo" ( in my opinion ) often comes with a mooing cow symbol.:moo:
Rbbm. = Respectfully bolded by me!
Thank you!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member