GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The butchering sets make very nice Christmas gifts for hunters, especially the ones that come in the case. You can get them at Bass Pro Shops, etc for around $60.00. However, I can't picture the perp bringing a dressing kit. He would have used one knife like the third one in the picture, popping the neck bones apart by inserting the tip and twisting. Then he would have wiped the knife off and put it back in the sheath in his belt. What did he wipe the knife off on? A rag or Mr. D's clothing?
BBM
:eek:hoh:

:escape:

After reading about the prison guards that were arrested in North Georgia, I am now wondering if the Dermond murders could have been orchestrated from prison. Or am I way off base here? I hope the cell phone recovery or some evidence is in that contraband that could tie someone to theses heinous murders.

Wishful thinking I know. It just bothers me that the family has no answers and justice doesn't seem to be close.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/politics/fbi-georgia-correctional-drug-trafficking/

'Staggering corruption': 46 correctional officers charged in years-long drug trafficking sting

By Pamela Brown and MaryLynn Ryan, CNN
Updated 12:21 PM ET, Fri February 12, 2016

<snipped - read more @ Link>
'Staggering corruption': 46 correctional officers charged in years-long drug trafficking sting

By Pamela Brown and MaryLynn Ryan, CNN
Updated 12:21 PM ET, Fri February 12, 2016
Prison guards arrested in sting

GA Prison guards arrested in sting 02:43
(CNN)The FBI arrested 46 current and former correction officers in a sting at nine facilities around Georgia, as a result of a two-year undercover operation went down early Thursday with raids by FBI at the prisons.

The indictments revealed "staggering corruption within Georgia Department of Corrections institutions," said John Horn, the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia.

Among those arrested were five members of an elite squad aimed at busting up drug dealing in prison, called the Cobra unit. Also rounded up in the bust were two civilians and one inmate.
The probe found that prison guards and staff were smuggling contraband such as liquor, tobacco and cell phones into the cell blocks for money. Inmates used the illegal cell phones to commit wire fraud, money laundering and identify theft.

Officers are also charged with using their badges to facilitate drug deals on either side of the prison wall. The trafficking is said to include multiple kilos of cocaine and meth in exchange for thousands of dollars in bribe money.

"It makes a huge challenge for law enforcement," Johnson said. "After you chase down, arrest and prosecute criminals and put them away for life, and they continue to direct crime on the streets from their jail cells."
Johnson pointed to how a North Carolina prisoner was able to orchestrate a 2014 hostage-taking in Atlanta from inside prison on a cell phone.
"When an inmate can reach beyond prison walls and threaten and intimidate witnesses and prosecutors, it's a breakdown of the judicial system," he said.

Zuri, thanx for sharing..
Yes, Zuri, many red flags are raised when the prison guards, other correctional officers, and violent felons can reach beyond prison walls controlling their criminal enterprises. I have to agree that there has been a serious breakdown of the judicial system, and anything is possible..

Yes, Zuri, many red flags are raised when the prison guards, other correctional officers, and violent felons can reach beyond prison walls controlling their criminal enterprises. I have to agree that there has been a serious breakdown of the judicial system, and anything is possible..

Foxfire, I saw the Northern Georgia part and my mind went directly to these murders of such seemingly nice people. If prisoners and guards could conduct drug business, I would imagine there could also be gang activity, hits or whatever they are into to still prove their loyalty? I am probably not making sense and watch too much tv. Hopefully you get the gist!

Myself, when I see, hypothetically speaking, a firefighter or plumber criticizing a LEO or a corrections officer, I value their criticism exactly as much as I do when I see a LEO or a corrections officer criticizing a firefighter or a plumber.

Myself, when I see, hypothetically speaking, a firefighter or plumber criticizing a LEO or a corrections officer, I value their criticism exactly as much as I do when I see a LEO or a corrections officer criticizing a firefighter or a plumber.

How about a retired firefighter or plumber, Montjoy?

Foxfire, I saw the Northern Georgia part and my mind went directly to these murders of such seemingly nice people. If prisoners and guards could conduct drug business, I would imagine there could also be gang activity, hits or whatever they are into to still prove their loyalty? I am probably not making sense and watch too much tv. Hopefully you get the gist!

Zuri, you are making a lot of sense and yes there will be a treasure trove of information mined from the cell phones, as well as from other resources as a result of the two-year FBI undercover sting operation.

Zuri, you are making a lot of sense and yes there will be a treasure trove of information mined from the cell phones, as well as from other resources as a result of the two-year FBI undercover sting operation.

'Another reason that the Georgia Bureau of Investigations should be included in the Dermond murders investigation, imo'
Many of the GA Department of Corrections officials arrested in the FBI corruption sting are from geographical areas near Putnam County, GA. The names of those arrested are listed at the following link;

http://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr...georgia-department-corrections-guards-exposed

In total, this extensive operation has resulted in charges against approximately 130 prison employees, inmates, and non-incarcerated co-conspirators.

Members of the public are reminded that the indictments only contains charges. The defendants are presumed innocent of the charges and it will be the government&#8217;s burden to prove the defendants&#8217; guilt beyond a reasonable doubt at trial.

These cases are being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, and the Georgia Department of Corrections Office of Professional Standards.

Thank you for the link and information Foxfire! It's very scary when you can't separate the good guys from the bad guys! "Orchestrating a hostage situation from behind bars" Does sound like a movie script, unfortunately it's real life... I hope we are able to follow some of the trials. I imagine we may have some people entering the witness protection program.

'Another reason that the Georgia Bureau of Investigations should be included in the Dermond murders investigation, imo'
Many of the GA Department of Corrections officials arrested in the FBI corruption sting are from geographical areas near Putnam County, GA. The names of those arrested are listed at the following link;

http://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga/pr...georgia-department-corrections-guards-exposed

In total, this extensive operation has resulted in charges against approximately 130 prison employees, inmates, and non-incarcerated co-conspirators.

Members of the public are reminded that the indictments only contains charges. The defendants are presumed innocent of the charges and it will be the government&#8217;s burden to prove the defendants&#8217; guilt beyond a reasonable doubt at trial.

These cases are being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, and the Georgia Department of Corrections Office of Professional Standards.

:goodpost: Yes, yes, and yes!

I found this article from last year which I think is similar to the dermonds but many miles away in California . I googled this for a while but couldn't find much info I haven't checked webslueths to see if theres info on here but I will when I have time. Just thought i'd share this I don't think it's the same killers but how many beheadings happen in this country. Anyways I hope someday they get justice for all 3 of these people. http://abc7.com/news/inglewood-man-found-decapitated-inside-apartment/793960/

He hasn't said anything useful or intelligent in years. I'm convinced that unless the killer or killers show up in his office and confess they won't be caught. I hope the residents of Putnam County don't reelect him. Almost 2 years and there's not even a suspect. Sorry but if there's not even a person of interest after all this time the odds of this ever being solved are slim to none. It's time to call in other departments and see what they can find out.

He hasn't said anything useful or intelligent in years. I'm convinced that unless the killer or killers show up in his office and confess they won't be caught. I hope the residents of Putnam County don't reelect him. Almost 3 years and there's not even a suspect. Sorry but if there's not even a person of interest after all this time the odds of this ever being solved are slim to none. It's time to call in other departments and see what they can find out.

<BBM for focus>

Two years, hockeyguy33. <Found Deceased GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014>

Found this article which is much of the same except there are lots of pictures of the property http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2015/10/23/georgia-mysteries-dermond-murder/74450000/. I find it hard to believe this was a robbery or extortion gone bad and here's why. 1 A robbery gone bad is impossible since the house was spotless . If they were looking for something I highly doubt they would be neat about it and I doubt while looking for whatever it was they might have been seeking that they stumbled upon something else expensive and didn't take it. 2 Extortion. Highly doubt this is the case either. If you're going to do this and lets say the dermonds refused their demands why would you kill them? They're in their late 80s and not worth killing. Did 1 of the dermonds put up a struggle? Doubt it since as the police reported the house was spotless so spotless you could eat off the floor. Autopsy report according to police indicated no bodily injury before death. Lets sy for the sake of arguing the killers picked them because they thought they had something valuable in the house since it was a nice house. They didn't just happen to pick that house out the 1st time going by there and decide on the spur of the moment to rob them or kidnap them for ransom money. Why would they behead an 88 year old man? It wasn't to hide the fact that they shot him or to hide the gun or weapon evidence. Lets say they shot Mr Dermond in the head. All they had to do after was destroy the gun by melting it down or do the same to any weapon they might have used. It's a lot easier than beheading someone and a lot faster plus i'm sure if they have done this before they wouldn't use a weapon that could be traced back to them. I think this was personal and they knew each other well.

Why take Mrs Dermond to the lake? The only reason I can think of is yes they wanted to have the police preoccupied with a missing person than looking for them and this would give them time to get back to their lives. Remember Mrs Dermond was weighed down with cinder blocks ? There was none missing from the house which tell me they were planning to do this all along. They didn't just decide this after they entered the house since it wouldn't be smart to send someone out to lets say home depot to get the blocks. They might be seen leaving or coming back. Some might think maybe they were prepared but honestly nobody prepares the way these 2 murders happened. Behead the guy in the house and then take his 87 year old wife a few miles away by boat and tie block to her and toss her in the river?

Bottom line this was torture and it was something personal. Someone needed money ( my bet either a family member or a church member) yes I said it I think the preacher needed the money. Religion is a business and beheading someone is a religious act. Also if it was someone who was close to the Dermonds they couldn't just disappear especially the preacher. People would notice a family member gone and especially a preacher .

Just things I think about maybe i'm way off but I don't think so.

Thanks Foxfire it seems like 3 years. Lets solve this already

<BBM for focus>

Two years, hockeyguy33. <Found Deceased GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014>

I have often wondered how well this was investigated and if all possible leads were exhausted. I realize everyone makes mistakes and things can be overlooked which is very possible. We live in the age of cameras and since we do I was wondering if they pulled camera footage from around the area during that weekend of the murders. The boats must have launched and docked from somewhere and i'm sure there are cameras nearby on some street close . I know there were no cameras at the security post ( which I have thoughts about) but can't they or have they checked cameras nearby? all those expensive homes and I assume some have expensive boats they might have cameras protecting their investments. Have they checked on the workers at the Dermonds bank? Someone there a teller or a manager would have access to how much money the Dermonds have. Maybe they gave the info to someone as a possible big score. it would be a tough search but maybe it could provide a lead . I'm sure they worked hard on this case in the 1st year but maybe it was overlooked. Foot prints from the killer or killers in the back yard there had to be foot prints which could tell us how many people were there. Evidence in the house. They had to leave some DNA . They can't possibly not leave DNA fingerprints or maybe a hair.

Just trying to keep this thread alive in hopes we can all celebrate the arrest of the murderers soon. It's a cold night here In New England so i'm bored

Murder on Lake Sinclair this week. Sandra Barrett, a lady in her 70's. Nice home on the lake. Her son, 50, was taken into custody. He is deranged and she had a restraining order against him. Bill Massee, Baldwin Co. Sheriff and GBI all over the scene and dock area collecting evidence. Bill said he called in the GBI because of the size of the house and crime scene.

Murder on Lake Sinclair this week. Sandra Barrett, a lady in her 70's. Nice home on the lake. Her son, 50, was taken into custody. He is deranged and she had a restraining order against him. Bill Massee, Baldwin Co. Sheriff and GBI all over the scene and dock area collecting evidence. Bill said he called in the GBI because of the size of the house and crime scene.

Here's an article covering this.

http://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article66612187.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads