KY KY - Crittenden, 50 Ft From Kenton Co Line, WhtFem 13-15, UP6711, Found Nude On Menefee Road, Long, Light Brown Hair, Apr'76

In looking at the Namus case report on this unid, the circumstances of death in the case report caught my attention. The report stated young girl found lying on the ground under circumstances of death.

This got me wondering if this unid could be under 20 years of age. Is there any possibility that this unid could be between 14 to 19 years of age?

I'm also wondering if Dr. Amy Burrows-Beckham ever mentioned any rule outs for this unid?

I suppose there is a possibility that the stated age range is too high. The age of a teenager is pretty easy to peg within a year or two (give or take), so any forensic anthropologist (or coroner) worth his salt should not make that mistake. It happens, but not very often.

They don't have much in terms of identifiers for this Jane Doe. So if there are any rule-outs, they were probably made decades ago, and I doubt that Dr. Burrows-Beckham would be aware of them.

In looking at the Namus case report on this unid, the circumstances of death in the case report caught my attention. The report stated young girl found lying on the ground under circumstances of death.

This got me wondering if this unid could be under 20 years of age. Is there any possibility that this unid could be between 14 to 19 years of age?

I'm also wondering if Dr. Amy Burrows-Beckham ever mentioned any rule outs for this unid?

I've noticed that a lot of people, especially southerners of the older generation, will refer to any female younger than obvious middle age as a young girl.

Here is my possible match to this UID; 2578DFVT - Iris Leslie Brown - Iris Leslie Brown Although, she is on the upper limit the age range..
Iris Leslie Brown – The Charley Project <MOD NOTE: Original link broken; edited to include current link as of October 8, 2022>
IBrown3.jpg

William John Posey Jr. finally admitted to killing Miss Brown in 2008, he had been a suspect all along, but the investigators couldn't prove it without her body and he still has not been charged (a deal was made) or prosecuted for murdering her. He was convicted for her kidnapping and sentenced to life. Posey was also a suspect in the murder of a college girl (Judy Martin) from OHIO! Miss Martin has not been found either. So, it seems really possible this could be Miss Brown...

But that was a ruse. Once Posey got her in the car, he tried to persuade her to help him sell cocaine, and the two argued en route to a stop in Waterbury and then at a location near the Shelburne Museum.

There, Posey told the investigators, he got out of the car, pulled Brown out, and strangled her before putting her body back in the car and driving south on an interstate highway, where he dumped it at an undisclosed location that even he cannot remember. A search is planned.
Convict in terminal ward admits to Vt. woman's killing - The Boston Globe

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a map with the places mentioned in some of the articles: http://goo.gl/maps/37al3

From the doenet information:

Although blood believed to be Brown&#8217;s was found in Posey&#8217;s car after her disappearance, police had no proof of what happened to her, or where her body might be.

Posey confessed to the killing in April 2008. Posey, who initially claimed to have driven Brown to Springfield, Massachusetts, now maintains he never left Vermont, and may not have driven much beyond Barre, the last place he was seen the night Brown disappeared.

Barre is 10-15 miles beyond Waterbury on I-89 southbound. After that, the interstate becomes very rural, with lots of isolated stretches. We were driving through there just a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of a weekend day at the height of tourist season, and went through several stretches when there was no car in sight. This photo is from somewhat south of there, facing north, but it gives a perspective on what the highway looks like for 40 miles:
300px-I-89_Vermont.jpg

Unless he was traveling to somewhere west, and wanted to have a body in his car for 12-18 hours, I think it's extremely unlikely this is Miss Brown.

I have so many thoughts on this.

1. If only a pair of shorts were found and they had to be held on with a safety pin, this was not likely a runaway. Not for any significant distance anyway.

2. This is a very secluded road even now - and it is surrounded my even MORE secluded areas where her body COULD have been dumped. (If she was dumped)

3. There is a very questionable trailer part just down the hill (south) which is in very poor condition (from SAT views) and was obviously there in 1976 from the looks of it.

4. I wonder how much casing and effort the police were able to commit to knocking on doors in the area? There weren't that many to knock on and this could have been a 'special needs' girl who was trying to get away from a poor or maybe even an abusive home.

5. Can the skull be exhumed and a face be given to this poor girl?

6. This road and location is very difficult to get to from highway exits. So, this girl was not likely to have been carried and dumped by someone on the Inter State.

That's just a few thoughts I have on this one so far.

I hope it inspires some others and maybe even some insight as to what might have happened to her.

Does anyone know if this lady was identified but it wasn't publicized?

Her NamUS profile is doing the "Permission Error" thing like when a UID is identified. I thought maybe her ID number changed for some reason, but there are no female UID's for that date/time when you do a search.

DoeNet profile still works and I haven't heard any news about an identification.

I asked someone from NamUs, who says that this case is "offline for review", and that biological data for the UP is being entered.

Based on that, I would guess that the UID is still UID.

Does anyone know if this lady was identified but it wasn't publicized?

Her NamUS profile is doing the "Permission Error" thing like when a UID is identified. I thought maybe her ID number changed for some reason, but there are no female UID's for that date/time when you do a search.

DoeNet profile still works and I haven't heard any news about an identification.

Is Kyli still around? I hope her mother submitted her DNA, for such a close match you would think she would want to know, if this IS delores she could put her to rest with her name. I understand it would be hard but the thought of your twin sister being unidentified remains would be worse

I'm still getting a "Permission Error" on NamUS but DoeNet's link works.

DoeNet says that "Portland Eck" (1281UMOR supposed Randy Kraft victim) has been identified.
But per NamUS and a post on his WS thread, he is not.

I've seen several occasions where a body or MP has been "Identified" or "Located" on one site, but not on others. I always wonder which website I should believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very possible that this could have been a hitch hiker if her killer had kept her belongings and disposed of them at a different location.

Is it possible that Doe Network is outdated on DNA? I don't think she could have been easily identified without it

This case has been offline & showing the "Permission Error" alert for almost a year and a half (since at least late 2014, if not longer). Carl looked into it then & was advised that her profile was "offline for review", which certainly shouldn't take this long. I emailed <support@identifyus.org> to inquire as to the status of the case. Hopefully she has been identified, but I was unable to find anything through a Google search. I will post an update if/when I hear back.

I received an email back this morning. No, she hasn't been identified. Her case is unpublished at the request of the ME's office. Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? Why would the ME not want her case published?

Maybe they have their suspicions about her identity. Who knows?...

Coming from Kentucky and having a little "experience" dealing with its courts... I'd say that it would be due to pure, unadulterated laziness. Or they realized that this was something they know they could never solve and just gave up on her.

But they had to go through the trouble of contacting NamUS and getting them to pull her file offline, so (ideally) there has to be a reason for them to have done it.

The Namus file is still not visible, but the Doenet information is still there, such as it is -- apparently it hasn't been updated since 2013.

Same thing's the case a few months after your post...

But I've been going over the KSP website looking for and did find a "possibly related" cold case murder from the same year and a bit north of where this girl was found.

The girl was obviously identified, because they say they aren't naming her due to the "nature of assault." I'd only seen that term used for surviving rape victims and the like. Not murder victims. A name would kind of be helpful when you're trying to solve a long unsolved murder.
Her case went well beyond rape - to murder.
But at least the story of her murder is documented somewhere.

COLD CASE ON MURDER OF ANOTHER JUVENILE
Kentucky State Police (website)
Juvenile (name withheld due to nature of assault), w/f 16, of Fort Wright, KY.
Victim was a student at Dixie Heights High School. Left her home at 1300 hours and returned about 1800 hours with an unknown white male described as approximately 5’10”; tall, slender with shoulder length blond hair. Victim was located beside the roadway with fatal injuries to the back of her head with what was believed to be a tire iron. Victim also assaulted sexually.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back