Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, in working on Angel Park, a lot of trees and other vegetation was removed. I think most people would have wanted that one concealed spot on the nature trail opened up, although there was some upset about trees on the island being cut down.

August 13th would be pretty late in the detasseling season. Depending on the variety, it can start as soon as the middle of June or as late as the middle of July. First they send the detasseling machines through and then the detasseling crews go through and do cleanup, so it doesn't take nearly as long as it did 30 years ago when each and every tassel was pulled by hand. It used to take 2 to 3 weeks for a crew to do an entire field, now it takes less than a week.
It was July 13, right in the middle of detasseling season. And it still takes 2-3 months starting in July. Source: I worked for Monsanto for 2 summers in college. Hybrid seed corn can have very different growing pattern/season than commercial sweet corn.And in Waterloo at least the crews tend to be mostly teenagers. The supervisors and field inspectors are college kids, and the seed techs and managers are full time employees that usually don't live in the area normally.

Came here to check for updates and thought that I was on the 'Green Acres thread', for a minute.. Just kidding, I had my first garden in decades last year and enjoyed the interesting info on growing corn. Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook, was abducted on my birth date, so July 13/2012 will always be etched in my memory..

The misidentification statistics make me assume that at least some of the sightings of the girls are mistaken as to time, place, or people, or all three.

The lack of information released about the bikes inclined me to think LE probably thinks they're very important to the case. Or it might just be that since they were found early on, there was no reason for pictures etc.

Good point about sightings of the girls. If eyewitnesses are wrong about perpetrators, there is probably at least an equal chance that one or more witnesses were wrong about seeing the girls or wrong about when they saw them (for instance, I've always wondered if the Carpenters may have seen Elizabeth on some previous day and then conflated it with the day she disappeared).

One thing I would love to know about the bicycles is if they had a normal load of fingerprints or if they were wiped clean. I'm sure LE knows but they're not talking.

It was July 13, right in the middle of detasseling season. And it still takes 2-3 months starting in July. Source: I worked for Monsanto for 2 summers in college. Hybrid seed corn can have very different growing pattern/season than commercial sweet corn.And in Waterloo at least the crews tend to be mostly teenagers. The supervisors and field inspectors are college kids, and the seed techs and managers are full time employees that usually don't live in the area normally.

I made a mistake on the date the girls disappeared, my bad and I apologise.

As for sweet corn, I have no idea about how it is grown or when it is detasseled or even if it is detasseled.

Sometimes it's good to go back and reread some of the articles. Looking at the gate and lake from the trail, does this mean the east is to the right and closer to the Arbutus Road side?

All this time I had always pictured the purse as being thrown or placed against the gates on the lake side like Elizabeth could have placed it there. Was where the purse was found a clear area or was it weedy like the left side (or right side looking at the picture in the article) where she wouldn't have put it?

Now I am also rethinking about the bikes. Were they laying on the trail east or west from the gate? I had always thought they were on the left side. I also seem to remember a picture of the bikes leaning up against the gates.
Jumping in here. I think you will find alot of info on the WS threads at the beginning of this case. The man's daughter was posting on Facebook at the time about what her Dad found etc.

I posted this on thread 1.

This is verbatim from the witness. I remember it well.

According to a poster on the Facebook Group, the girls bikes were seen on the Gilbertville to Meyers Trail just prior to 12:27 pm on Friday, the biker did not see or hear the girls at that time, the tip was called in to LE, fwiw.

We aren't supposed to post scanner info here, however, the case is cold, and the scanner info is 4 years old.

A few things from listening to the police scanner in the basement, pages 1-43:

-A woman came forward dieting the search to report a strange male taking photos of her kids 1 month before the abduction

-Evidence found on River Rd.

-Searchers were given a no contact order by LE regarding the family

-Sighting of a man with 2 girls matching the descriptions at a gas station

-At the time of abduction, there had been an issue with young boys taking bikes and spray painting them

This is the original scanner thread. There is NO link for this thread on page 1. I found it while reviewing thread 1.

scanner link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8149160&posted=1#post8149160

How far away is Fayette County from where the girls were found?

On July 18, 2012, there was a cache post on the scanner thread regarding looking for the girls under or near a BRIDGE in Fayette County.

Who made that post on Craigslist??

That's close - isn't it? ??

Here is whjat was cached from Google on that craiglist post:

Regarding the girls from Evansdale
quadcities.craigslist.org › personals › rants & ravesShare12 hours ago – "Look in Fayette County under OR near a bridge. PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE GET THE WORD OUT TO THE THPEOPLE DOWN THERE."

I'm thinking that maybe that cache link should be sent in to LE.

BRIDGE???

Maybe that poster on Craigs List is the real deal. July 18th. Long before they were recovered.

What do you guys think?

LE might be able to obtain IP info on that craiglist post

I'm also thinking the person posting on Craigs List was "up there" in Fayette County, because they were warning the people "down there".

Knowing what we know now about 7 Bridges, and what nobody knew on July 18th.....

How far away is Fayette County from where the girls were found?

On July 18, 2012, there was a cache post on the scanner thread regarding looking for the girls under or near a BRIDGE in Fayette County.

Who made that post on Craigslist??

That's close - isn't it? ??

Here is whjat was cached from Google on that craiglist post:

Regarding the girls from Evansdale
quadcities.craigslist.org › personals › rants & ravesShare12 hours ago – "Look in Fayette County under OR near a bridge. PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE GET THE WORD OUT TO THE THPEOPLE DOWN THERE."

Seven Bridges is in Bremer county, which is adjacent to Fayette County. So yes, relatively close.

There was some discussion of this in an early thread. Discussion was deleted and time outs were issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was some discussion of this in an early thread. Discussion was deleted and time outs were issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discussion of what? The Craigslist post?

I was a part of the Grateful Doe UID for 20 years being identified this year, and some information came to light through WS deemed unacceptable sites.

I am not trolling about this post on Craigslist. I'm genuinely saying it's worth considering, given the date and what we know now . I realize this type of thing can mean nothing at all. However, in the cases of Zahra Baker, Victoria Stafford, Jessica Lloyd to name only a few, sometimes a spade really is a spade.

If LE decides it may be worth investigating the original poster of this message - then it is worthy. There is a child murderer running loose, and by all appearances - they've got nothing.

The Tim Bosma murder trial is currently underway and LE used ample evidence gleaned from info accessed through Kijiji - which is similar to Craigs List.

I just read this week that Facebook gets 1 million alerts on inappropriate posts PER DAY. I don't know - I don't feel bad alerting on that particular post. It's not overly "out there".

JMO

I'm still bothered by the Jeremiah Cook "prized possessions" quote by Wilma.

In back tracking I found this link from early on from Evansdale with info I missed or forgot such as:

"Goggle map shows a paddleboat sitting on the dock where Misty's boyfriend is staying.. This is a map from late last year."

"I'm still on Brittney, tammy's daughter who was caught in the white van, that didn't belong to her, she had no license to drive, had prescription drugs in her possession, wouldn't talk."

"They found out who the "mysterious" driver of the white van was. His name is Michael Knief, he is 34 and is currently living in Evansdale. He has a long, long, list of criminal charges and some include drug convictions."

"The uncle Jeremiah Cook's girlfriend, that also tried to also overdose is Carolyn Lynn Pieper."

"Construction ended the day the girls disappeared.. Have they check all the sex offenders on those crews?"

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/evan...0IC8Q7ICO0THP5

Discussion of what? The Craigslist post?

I was a part of the Grateful Doe UID for 20 years being identified this year, and some information came to light through WS deemed unacceptable sites.

I am not trolling about this post on Craigslist. I'm genuinely saying it's worth considering, given the date and what we know now . I realize this type of thing can mean nothing at all. However, in the cases of Zahra Baker, Victoria Stafford, Jessica Lloyd to name only a few, sometimes a spade really is a spade.

If LE decides it may be worth investigating the original poster of this message - then it is worthy. There is a child murderer running loose, and by all appearances - they've got nothing.

The Tim Bosma murder trial is currently underway and LE used ample evidence gleaned from info accessed through Kijiji - which is similar to Craigs List.

I just read this week that Facebook gets 1 million alerts on inappropriate posts PER DAY. I don't know - I don't feel bad alerting on that particular post. It's not overly "out there".

JMO

If you can't find a mainstream source for it, we aren't allowed to talk about it on WS. Whether other sites allow it and whether LE can use it, it's against TOS.

Yeah, and the

One thing I just thought of. I remember someone saying that different county license plates would stick out in Blackhawk county. But...we have UNI here in CF. There seem to be hardly any Blackhawk county license plates in the parking lots there. Plus Highway 20/380 is the easiest way to get to CF from CR or even Iowa City. Just a quick thought :)

One thing I just thought of. I remember someone saying that different county license plates would stick out in Blackhawk county. But...we have UNI here in CF. There seem to be hardly any Blackhawk county license plates in the parking lots there. Plus Highway 20/380 is the easiest way to get to CF from CR or even Iowa City. Just a quick thought :)

That is certainly the route I followed when I was visiting my friend in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area back when I lived in Iowa City.

As for the license plates sticking out, I don't see any disparity in the two statements. UNI students tend to live near UNI for convenience. Evansdale is about 20 miles from UNI, which would not be particularly convenient for a student.

I doubt we're looking for someone whose only familiarity with the area is due to attending UNI. I just don't see any plausible reasons for a UNI student to be familiar with both Evansdale and Seven Bridges, although I could be wrong.

So much depends on the reason the two girls were abducted. There have certainly been serial killers who travelled almost obsessively looking for good places to abduct their chosen type of victim. I think it is more probable to be someone without a previous history of arrests, who has been fantasising for a long time about little girls, just because that is more statistically likely.

I hate wading into motive because attributing motive has been a factor in many wrongful convictions. When it gets right down to it, motive can be completely illogical. For instance, who would think "I killed to see what it felt like" would be a motive for any killing? And yet, it has been the motive for several killings, particularly with juvenile perpetrators.

Personally I really don't notice different county plates...I don't think they would really stick out that much...

The bikes continue to bug me. If TG is correct in his recollection of swerving around the bikes, where were the girls at that time? Had they already been taken? I have never been able to make TG's sighting of the bikes fit into the few facts we have.

The bikes, the danged bikes. How did they wind up where they were found? Staged? Put there by the girls? I wonder if LE knows.

I have my theory, like many of us, but TG's statement just will not fit.

I know we've talked this to death but it still puzzles me.

The bikes continue to bug me. If TG is correct in his recollection of swerving around the bikes, where were the girls at that time? Had they already been taken? I have never been able to make TG's sighting of the bikes fit into the few facts we have.

The bikes, the danged bikes. How did they wind up where they were found? Staged? Put there by the girls? I wonder if LE knows.

I have my theory, like many of us, but TG's statement just will not fit.

I know we've talked this to death but it still puzzles me.

If TG is the cyclist who spoke to the media, wasn't he on the path before the girls arrived? We tried hard to fit him into the timeline, but by fitting him in, the rest of the timeline didn't work. That is, it became impossible for the girls to cycle from the auction shop video camera to the gate at the lake and be seen by the cyclist. Haven't police excluded him as being related to the girls disappearance, and excluded him as having seen anything relevant to their disappearance?

If we take the cyclist out of the timeline, everything else works. That is, the girls circled around the parking lot near the Collin's home, cycled towards the home of Elizabeth's friend (who lives near the lawn watering man) on the East side of the lake, they parked their bikes near the gate, and then they vanished. The cyclist was on the same path before the girls arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member